Florence May Tilton was born 6 May 1886 in Farmington, Franklin Co. ME and d. 3 Sep 1946 in Conway, Carrol Co. NH. Her parents were Joseph Adelbert Tilton and Lizzie Norton Eaton.
After her marriage to Ralph Lynden Crockett in 1916, they moved to Redstone, a small village in Conway, New Hampshire where they resided for the rest of their lives. Ralph was a manufacturer associated with the Redstone quarry.
Florence’s mother was a teacher, and so no doubt that influenced her education. She came from a farming family but had attended Maine elementary schools, and was a graduate of high school and Farmington (Maine) State Normal School. She was a Congregationalist.
She was active in the Daughters of the American Revolution, being a member of the Anna Stickney Chapter in Conway, NH. Her Revolutionary ancestor was Jacob Eaton 2nd [see his biography in the genealogy below]. Mrs. Crockett served her chapter as secretary, and then regent in 1924. She served as NH State Regent from 1938-1941, and in 1941 Librarian-General of the National DAR organization.
In addition to her DAR activities, she was a member of the Mayflower Descendants in New Hampshire, being elected governor at a 15th annual session of the Society. She served as governor from 1943-1954. She died in 1946 in North Conway NH.
=====GENEALOGY of FLORENCE MAY (TILTON) CROCKETT=====
William Tilton of Lynn & Susanna
Samuel Tilton & Hannah Moulton
John Tilton & Sarah Mayhew
Thomas Tilton & Jemina Mayhew
[see Reuben Tilton below]
John Eaton & Anne of Colchester, now Salisbury MA
John Eaton & Martha Rowlandson
Joseph Eaton & Mary French
Jacob Eaton & Sarah Malcom
[see Jacob Eaton 2d below]
Reuben Tilton, son of Thomas & Jemima (Mayhew) Tilton, b. 26 Aug 1735 in Chilmark, MA, d. 1810 Chilmark MA. He m. 28 Jan 1762 to Abigail Tillton his first cousin, daughter of Cyreno & Remember (Tobey) Tilton. She was b 1743, d. 10 July 1801 at Chilmark MA. In 1791 Reuben was chosen deacon of the Chilmark Church. [See History of the Tilton Family in America, Vol 01 by Francis T. Tilton at FamilySearch
Children of Reuben & Abigail (Tillton) Tillton:
1. Jemima Tilton, b. 24 July 1764 Chilmark MA, d. 7 Nov 1851 Chilmark MA
2. +Thomas Tilton, b. 1766
3. Asa Tilton, b. 1 Dec 1769 Chilmark MA, d. 25 Dec 1834 Chilmark MA
Jacob Eaton, 2d, son of Jacob & Sarah (Malcom) Eaton, b. 8 July 1741 in Pemaquid [now known as Bristol] Maine (then part of Massachusetts), d. 18 Nov 1791, Drowned in the Bay of Fundy, Canada. DAR: Patriotic Service. He married 27 Nov 1764 to Elizabeth Thorn, daughter of William Thorn of Topsham Maine. She was b. 29 Dec 1740 and d. 15 March 1804. At the beginning of the American Revolution he was captured and taken to England (along with Joseph Berry of Topsham). Per the history of Farmington Maine: “Jacob Eaton removed his family from Bristol to Farmington Maine in October 1784. He settled on the farm now owned by Thomas M. Davis, the Greenwoods and others known as the Mill Lot. He purchased the mill built by Colburn & Pullen, with his brother–Joseph Eaton–who sold his half to Moses Starling, about two years after, and returned to his former residence. Mr. Jacob Eaton attended to farming as well as to carrying on the mills, which were rebuilt and considerably improved by him and Mr. Starling. He erected the framed buildings prior to 1790. In 1791 he went to the Province of New Brunswick, where he was drowned at St. John’s Falls, Nov. 18, 1791. Mr. William Thorn, father of Mrs. Eaton, an elderly gentleman, who came with Mr. Eaton’s family, died in the fall of 1786–the second death in the town. Mr. Thorn was from Topsham, where he suffered severely in the French and Indian War of 1755. He lost and arm and had a son scalped by the Indians. He was buried near the Center Bridge, in what is now called the Old Burying Ground. Mrs. Eaton died in 1804, at the age of 64.”
Children of Jacob & Elizabeth (Thorn) Eaton:
1. Sarah Eaton, b. 6 Sep 1765, d. 4 Oct 1839; m. 1788 Ezekiel Lancaster of New Sharon Maine.
2. Martha Eaton, b. 11 April 1770, d. 17 Sep 1842; m. 15 March 1796 Joseph Fairbanks
3. Hannah Eaton, b. 8 April 1772, d. May 1803; m. 4 May 1797 Joshua Perley. Moved to Ohio in 1801. 3 children.
4. Elizabeth Eaton, b. 6 April 1774, d. 17 June 1842; m. 6 Feb 1795 to Thomas Wendell. Some children: (1) Julia Wendell who m. Francis G. Butler; (2) Betsy Wendell b 1798, m. John Luce.
5. Robert Eaton, b 16 Feb 1776, d. in Ohio; m. 1 April 1800 Rachel Starling, daughter of Moses. Several children.
6. Rachel Eaton, b. 10 Oct 1778, d. 13 Nov 1857; m. 21 Nov 1799 Jabez Gay
7. Isaac Eaton, b. 10 Nov 1780; m. Mary Lyon; removed to Ohio 8 Children, including (1) Susan Wendell Eaton, m. Truman Allen [see Farmington Maine History for more children]
8. +Jacob Eaton, b. 12 July 1784; m. Mary Davis
Thomas Tillton, son of Reuben & Abigail (Tillton) Tilton, b. 24 Oct 1766 in Chilmark, Dukes Co. MA. He m. 11 May 1805 in Chilmark MA to Fear Hawkes. She was b. 1768 in Chilmark, Dukes Co. MA. Both probably d. Farmington, Maine.
Children of Thomas & Fear (Hawkes) Tilton: [probably more children]
1. Thomas Tilton, b. 1806, d. 1887
2. +Joseph Tilton, b. abt 1815 Chilmark MA
3. Edwin W. Tilton, b. 1817, d. 1875
Jacob Eaton, Jr. son of Jacob & Elizabeth (Thorn) Eaton, was b. 21 July 1784, d. 19 Oct 1825; m 1) 16 Feb 1805 Abigail Bradford, daughter of Joseph Bradford; He m2d) 26 April 1814 to Mary Davis, daughter of Wendell Davis of New Vineyard. She b. 1792 and d. 16 Aug 1858. He settled on a farm adjoining that of his brother Isaac. He is buried in Farmington, Franklin Co. Maine.
Children of Jacob & Abigail (Bradford) Eaton:
1. Lyman Eaton, b. 8 March 1808; married and resided in Orono Maine.
2. Jacobe Eaton, b. 3 Aug 1809 Wells, Maine
3. Martha Eaton, b. 1 January 1812; m. — Whitehouse
Children of Jacob & Mary (Davis) Eaton:
4. +Wendell Davis Eaton, b. 15 Aug 1815
5. Mary Smith Eaton, b. 22 March 1817; m. 5 Nov 1839 John Bullen; 2 children
6. Eliza Ann Eaton, b. 28 June 1819, d. 15 July 1872; m. 8 Dec 1840 to Henry W. Beetle of Vineyard Haven Maine. Four children.
7. Abigail Eaton, b. 10 May 1822; unmarried; resided Vineyard Haven, Maine.
Joseph Tilton, son of Thomas & Fear (Hawkes) Hilton b. abt 1815 Chilmark, Dukes Co. MA d 6 March 1892 in Farmington Maine; m. 9 Feb 1845 in Farmington, Franklin Co. Maine to Angeline Norcross, dau of Mathias S. & Martha (Turner) Norcross. She was b. 30 Oct 1817 in Maine, and d. 1891; buried Farmington Maine. Both buried Riverside Cemetery, Farmington Maine
1870 US Census > Maine > Franklin Co. > Farmington
Joseph Tilton M 55 MA
Angeline Tilton F 52 Maine
Adelbert Tilton M 24 Maine
Children of Joseph & Angeline (Norcross) Tilton:
1. +Joseph Adelbert Tilton b. 21 Feb 1846 in Farmington Maine
Wendell Davis Eaton son of Jacob & Mary (Davis) Eaton, b 15 Aug 1815 in Farmington, Franklin Co., Maine, d 8 June 1867 Yarmouth, Cumberland Co., Maine; m. 29 December 1842 in Farmington, Franklin ME to Sarah L. “Hannah S.” Norton, daughter of Elihu Norton. She was b. 1 Jan 1821 and d. 14 Feb 1903. He spent his life farming, first upon the homestead and later upon the Alexander Hillman farm in Farmington Maine.
History of Farmington Maine by Francis Gould Butler
Children of Davis & Sarah (Norton) Eaton:
1. Oliver D. Eaton, b. 11 January 1844; He m. 13 Nov 1864 to Emilie F. Bulkley of New York. 3 children: (1) Florence Emily Eaton, b. 2 Jan 1866; (2) Elsie Bulkley Eaton, b. 10 January 1869; (3) John Oliver Eaton, b. 24 February 1871. He enlisted in the Civil War, and after his discharge he went into business in New York City where he resided.
2. Jacob Elihu Eaton, b. 23 July 1845 in Farmington Maine, d. 28 Sep 1896 in Jay Maine of a cart injury. He married 6 April 1876 to Ella Mary Fales, dau of David & Almira (Pottle) Fales. She b. 9 Nov 1857 in Freeman Maine, d. 8 June 1941. Children: Lester D., Clarence.
3. Mary Fletcher Eaton, b. 15 Dec 1847; m. 4 March 1875 to E. Marshall Preston. 1 child.
4. +Lizzie Norton Eaton, b. 20/21 April 1854 Farmington Maine; a teacher in Farmington Maine prior to her marriage.
Joseph Adelbert Tilton, son of Joseph & Angeline (Norcross) Tilton, b 21 Feb 1846 in Maine, d 1926 in Maine [from findagrave]; m1st) 30 June 1883 in Farmington Maine to Lizzie N. Eaton, daughter of Davis & Sarah (Norton) Eaton. She was b. 20 April 1854 in Farmington Maine, and d. 26 April 1893 in Farmington Maine; He m2d) 24 Feb 1896 in Farmington Maine to Martha Elizabeth Norcross. She was b. 20 April 1854 in Farmington Maine and d. 26 April 1893 in Farmington, Franklin, Maine. He was a farmer.
Children of Joseph A. & Lizzie (Eaton) Tilton:
1. +Florence May Tilton, b. 6 May 1886 in Farmington Maine
Ralph Lynden Crockett, son of Gideon Hale & Susan (Simpson) Crockett, b. 30 November 1883 Deer Isle, Maine, d. 2 February 1959 in Conway NH; He m1st) 28 Sep 1916 in Portland, Maine [registered in Franklin Maine] to Florence May Tilton, daughter of Joseph Adelbert & Lizzie (Eaton) Tilton. She was b. 6 May 1886 in Farmington, Franklin Co. ME and d. 3 Sep 1946 in Conway, Carrol Co. NH; He m2d) after 1946 to Louise Hanks. In 1916 and 1942 living in Redstone, Carrol Co. NH In 1940 living in Conway, Carroll Co. NH. He was a manufacturer for a granite quarry. In 1938 he was a member of the Budget Committee for the town of Conway NH, along with being secretary of the School District. The Sacramento Bee newspaper (Sacramento California) of 18 April 1941 showed the National DAR elections of national offices, including Mrs. Ralph L. Crockett, Redstone N.H., librarian. [also in 1940 Librarian General] Anna Stickney Chapter, DAR, Conway NH. They are buried in the North Conway Cemetery, Conway NH.
[DAR book] ANNA STICKNEY CHAPTER
Mrs. Florence T. Crockett was born in Farmingtin, Me., daughter of Joseph Adelbert and Lizzie N. (Eaton) Tilton; educated in elementary schools, graduate of high school and Farmington (me.) State Normal School; Congregationalist; married Ralph Lynden Crockett; Revolutionary ancestor, Jacob Eaton 2nd. Mrs. Crockett has served her chapter as secretary. [Chapter Regent in 1924, NH State Regent 1938-1941]
–Biography of Real Daughters: Mrs. Mary Eaton Thomas, born in Fryeburg Me (then a part of Massachusetts) July 30, 1809, daughter of William and Nancy (Farrington) Eaton; married in Conway Jesse Thomas and had four children; she died October 21, 1902 and was buried in Chatham.
1940 US Census > NH > Carroll > Conway
Ralph Crockett Head M 55 Maine C-4 Superintendent, Quarry
Florence Crockett Wife F 52 Maine H-4
Phillys Crockett Lodger F 25 Maine H-4 Clerk, Sport Shop
No known children.