Merrimack, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire’s early history is complicated. The area was first the residence of the Abenaki Native Peoples. Later when Europeans arrived, it was part of the Massachusetts Bay colony, and for several years the town spanned an area on both sides of the Merrimack River. Later the area became part of New Hampshire, and the state and town boundaries changed yet again.
Brenton’s Farm (1655), Dunstable (1673), Naticook (1734-1746), Merrymack (1746), and Merrimack are all names connected with this town. As there has never been a bridge spanning the Merrimack River within the current town boundaries (and there still is not) during the area’s early history travel necessitated the use of ferry boats to transport people, animals and supplies in all seasons. Continue reading