New Hampshire’s First Valentine has nothing to do with greeting cards, candy, or heart-shaped tokens.
Rather, the first Valentine within the boundaries of current-day New Hampshire was one merchant named Valentine Hill, who by one account had left Boston Massachusetts due to his declining finances.
His first name, unusual for the time, must have been considered with great pride and fondness by his family, for it ‘stuck’ and was well used for several generations. Valentine Hill’s original home in Durham, is now called The Three Chimney’s Inn.
Please note that the genealogy presented here does not provide information on ALL members of the Hill family, but rather, traces only those lines where the name Valentine is known to have been used. And not to worry! I will be posting another article, with lighter fare, for your Valentine’s Day pleasure.
========PARTIAL Genealogy of Valentine Hill========
Valentine Hill was born in England (possibly London) about 1603 (based on estimated date of first marriage). He became a prominent mercer (aka merchant) of Boston MA and Dover NH. Various Boston city documents show he owned land there by 1635. In 1636 he was admitted to the Church of Boston. In 1640 he was admitted as a freeman, and also was a proprietor, town officer, and deacon, and held various town offices in both Boston MA and the Dover NH area. Valentine Hill and Thomas Beard had a grant of “the fall of Oyster River” the 19th, 9 mo., 1649. He built a sawmill there before 1651. [See Three Chimney’s Inn] In 1652 he was “of Dover” (N.H.) when he provided L50 security to Jane Skipper spinster of Boston. He engaged in trade with Europe in fish and timber, and to the south (Virginia et al) for horses, tobacco and Indian corn. [SEE Great Migration: Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635, Vol. III, G-H, page 319.]. He was part owner and operator of Bendall’s Dock, and was involved in trade with the native peoples. He was a member of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company in 1638. He died in Oyster Bay (now Dover NH) between 10 Dec 1660 and 28 June 1661. He married 1st) by 1638 to Frances Freestone, daughter of Richard Freestone. She was b abt 1634 in Boston MA, and she d. 17 February 1646 in Boston MA; He m2nd) Mary Eaton, dau of Gov. Theophilus Eaton. She was born abt 1637 in Boston MA. After Valentine’s death, widow Mary (Eaton) Hill married 2nd) about 1680 to Ezekiel Knight of Wells, Maine. She died 24 April 1708.
Children of Valentine & Frances (Freestone) Hill:
1. Hannah Hill, baptized 17 March 1638-39; married 24 Jan 1659 in Boston MA to Antipas Boyce. He d. abt Aug 1669 in Boston MA naming only one child. He was a Boston merchant who headed the Kennebec purchase from the Plymouth Colony. Had son Antipas Boyce b 8 Feb 1661 and d. abt 1706 in Barbadoes.
2. John Hill, b. 1 Sep 1640; died young.
3. Elizabeth Hill, b. 12 Dec 1641, died young.
4. Joseph Hill (twin), b. 1644, d. same year.
5. Benjamin Hill (twin) b. 1644, d. same year.
6. Joseph Hill, bap 18 Aug 1646 Boston MA
Children of Valentine & Mary (Eaton) Hill:
7. John Hill, bap 19 Aug 1647 Boston MA
8. Samuel Hill, bap 8 December 1648 Boston MA
9. Mary Hill, b. 29 Dec 1649; m. abt 1680 Rev John Buss, son of William & Ann Buss. He m1) 1673 to Elizabeth Bradbury. Children: Joseph Buss; and Hannah Buss (b abt 1680 Wells, York Co ME, d. 1717 Oyster River NH, m. Joseph Chesley).
10. Elizabeth Hill, bap 25 May 1651 Boston MA, died before her father.
11. +Nathaniel Hill, b. 31 March 1660 Oyster River (Dover) N.H. [per entry in Dover records: “Nathaniel Hill son of Vallentine Hill of douer by his wife Mary was born in oyster Riuer the beginning March 1659-60. Mrs. Mary Hill alias Knight was before me the 23d of May 1702 and acknowledged that Nathaniel Hill was the son of her first husband Vallentine Hill.” (John Woodman Justs Peac.)” He was administrator to his father’s estate.
Capt. Nathaniel Hill, son of Valentine & Mary (Eaton) Hill, was b. in Dover NH [now part of Durham], 31 March 1660. He settled on his father’s land on the north side of the Oyster River, and was a tax payer in 1681. He married Sarah Nutter, daughter of Anthony & Sarah (Langstaff) Nutter, and granddaughter of Hatevil Nutter. [Note: 2 of Sarah’s Nutter’s aunts and 1 uncle had Valentine descendants, i.e. Sarah’s aunt, Elizabeth Nutter married Thomas Leighton, and their great-grandson VALENTINE LEIGHTON was b. abt 1760, married Sarah Wiley and resided in Durham, Rockingham Co. NH; he was a soldier of the American Revolution of Colonel Mooney’s Regiment // Sarah’s aunt Mary Nutter, married John Pickering. They had a son VALENTINE PICKERING who married 1784 to Sarah Toppan Pickering dying in 1814, and also had a son Valentine Pickering // Sarah’s uncle, Henry Nutter who m. Mary Hoyt, had a son named VALENTINE NUTTER, b abt 1706 who m. Mary Goode, and in turn, also had a son Valentine Nutter].
Children of Capt. Nathaniel & Sarah (Nutter) Hill:
1. Samuel Hill, b. abt 1690 Durham NH. He inherited part of the homestead. Resided in Durham and later Lee, NH. He married Sarah Thompson, daughter of John Thompson Sr. of Oyster River.
2. Valentine Hill
3. Sarah Hill m. Daniel Warner of Portsmouth who afterwards acquired a part of Hill’s five hundred acres (Warner Farm)
4. +Abigail Hill, b. abt 1695 Oyster River NH; m. abt 1693 to Benjamin Mathes
Abigail Hill, dau of Nathaniel & Sarah (Nutter) Hill, b. abt 1695 Oyster River NH; m. abt 1693 to Benjamin Mathes, son of Capt. Francis & Ruth (Bennett) Mathes 17 Dec 1716. She d. 12 Dec 1724 Durham NH. This Benjamin may have been the one of that name who was “baptized Dec 12, 1724, died the same day, aged 31 years.” His father Francis conveyed 20 Dec 1748 homestead to grandchildren, Valentine and Abraham. “The name of Valentine, from her grandfather Valentine Hill, became henceforth a favorite name in the Mathes family, where it is perpetuated to this day. Among those who still bear it may be mentioned Mr. Valentine Mathes of Dover, and Valentine Mathes Coleman, Esq., of Newington.”
Children of Benjamin & Abigail (Hill) Mathes:
1. Abraham Mathes
2. Benjamin Mathes, bap 20 Oct 1717 Durham NH
3. +Valentine Mathes, b. abt 1720 Durham NH, d. 2 Feb 1814; m. Hannah Burnham
4. +Samuel Mathes, bapt 27 Jan 1722/23; m. Ruth Lord; resided in Lee NH; His will 25 May 1785-19 Dec 1802 named wife Ruth and the following children: Benjamin m. 1806 Comfort Smart
Valentine Mathes, son of Benjamin & Abigail (Hill) Mathes, b. abt 1720 Durham NH, d. 2 Feb 1814 Durham NH; m. Hannah Burnham, dau of Robert and Elizabeth (Smith) Burnham. She d. 5 Sep 1812
Children of Valentine & Hannah (Burnham) Mathes:
1. +Valentine Mathes, b. abt 1746 Durham NH; m. Dolly Rogers
2. Abigail Mathes, bap 20 May 1750 Durham NH
3. Robert Mathes, bap 22 June 1755 Durham NH
4. Hannah Mathes, bap 7 July 1759 Durham NH
Samuel Mathes, son of Benjamin & Abigail (Hill) Mathes bapt 27 Jan 1722/23; m. Ruth Lord; resided in Lee NH; His will dated 25 May 1785 and probated 19 Dec 1802 named wife Ruth and his children Benjamin, Valentine, Robert, Abigail, Ruth, Hannah, Samuel and Abraham
Children of Samuel & Ruth (Lord) Mathes:
1. Benjamin Mathes, b. 2 March 1782, d. 2 March 1840; m. 1806 Lee NH to Comfort Smart. She b. abt 1775, d. 20 May 1851. Their daughter Pamelia married her cousin John Mathes [see below]
2. +Col. Valentine Mathes, b. 1769, d. 23 July 1838; m 21 Aug 1788 Polly Crommett, dau of Jacob & Abigail (Dam) L. in Northwood NH.
3. Robert Mathes, born in Lee NH 19 May 1772. m1) Sally Meserve; m2) Sally Jones. When thirty years old (ordained at Milton NH 11 Aug 1831) he became impressed with the feeling that he must go and preach the Gospel. He soon after removed to Milton and began preaching there. Later he was ordained to the ministry, and did a large amount of itinerant work in New Hampshire and Maine. He died in Milton NH 13 March 1840.
4. Abigail Mathes, d. unm.
5. Ruth Mathes, m. 1808 Trueworthy Hill of Lee NH
6. Hannah Mathes
7. Samuel Mathes, m1) Elizabeth Davis; m2) March 1815 Love Randall. Ch by 2nd marriage, Martha who m. John Burley and Hannah who m. Charles Norton.
8. Abraham Mathes, who m. Sarah Laskey. Ch., Samuel J. b. 14 Sept. 1793, m. 6 Nov, 1820 Caroline Durrell and d. 22 Feb. 1837. He had dau., Elizabeth, who m. Israel Bartlett,and other ch. Abraham had also son, Joseph, and daus., Sally, who m. Nathaniel Bennett, Polly who m. Jacob Wiggin, Ruth who m. Joseph Stokes of Durham, and Ann.
Valentine Mathes, son of Valentine & Hannah (Burham) Mathes, b. abt 1746 Durham NH, d. 4 Apr 1801 Durham NH, aged 55. He married Dolly Rogers, dau of Capt. Daniel & Sarah (Mason) Rogers. She b. abt Apr 1754 Durham NH and d. 30 Sep 1789.
Children of Valentine & Dolly (Rogers) Mathes:
1. Abigail Mathes, b. abt 1772 Durham NH; m. 12 Jan 1792 Capt. Jeremiah B. Mooney.
2. Capt. Robert Mathes, b. 25 Jan 1775 Durham NH, d. 9 Jan 1848; m. 30 Sep 1802 Susanna Pinkham.
3. Daniel Mathes, b 27 Nov 1777 Durham NH, d. 26 June 1856; m1st) 26 Jan 1806 Abigail Coe, dau of Rev Curtis & Anne (Thompson) Coe who was b. 29 Feb 1784 and d. 11 Jan 1807. He m2d) 1808 in Lee NH to Elizabeth “Betsey” Folsom, dau of Capt. Asa & Sally (Boardman) Folsom. His widow died 11 Aug 1870 Had issue (dau Abigail by 1st marr; by 2nd, Jeremiah, Mary Ann, Thomas, Susan, Sarah, Nathan).
4. +Valentine Mathes, b 20 Dec 1779 Durham NH; m. Sarah Crommett
5. Benjamin Mathes, b. 2 March 1782; m1) Martha Lane; m2) Anna Lane; had issue: Charles, George P., Albert R., William J., John M. Joseph W.
6. Abraham Mathes, b. 27 Nov 1785 Durham NH; m. 1817 to Love Bickford
7. John Mathes, b. 26 Sep 1789 Durham NH; d. 17 July 1816; m. 3 Jan 1811 in Northwood NH to Sally Batchelder, dau of Abraham & Abigail (Buzzell) Batchelder. She b. 16 June 1792. She married 2d) as his widow 21 Oct 1826 to James Smith. Children: Hannah, Abigail and Fanny who m. 30 June 1833 to Valentine Mathes Jr.
Col. Valentine Mathes, b. 1769, d. 23 July 1838;m 21 Aug 1788 Polly Crommett, dau of Jacob & Abigail (Dam) Crommett in Northwood NH. In the Yeaton graveyard at Epsom NH are the inscriptions: “Col. Valentine Mathes d. July 23, 1838, aged 69. Mary, his wife, d. March 27, 1840, aged 73.
Children of Col. Valentine & Mary/Polly (Crommett) Mathes:
1. Mary Mathes, b. 1804; m. Levi T. Yeaton and they are buried near her parents at Epsom NH. She d. 24 Aug 1844 aged 40. Levi T. Yeaton d. 30 Oct 1846 aged 42.
2. Valentine Mathes, m. in Northwood, 14 Feb 1814 Sally Bartlett, dau of Israel Bartlett, d. Nov 16, 1836, aged 42.
3. Sarah / Sally Mathes m. 24 Dec 1826 James Smith of Saco.
4.-6. Other ch may have been Jacob, Samuel and John all of Northwood NH.
Valentine Mathes, son of Valentine & Dolly (Rogers) Mathes b 20 Dec 1779 Durham NH, and d. 1 July 1850; m. 27 June 1804 to Sarah Crommett, dau of Jacob & Abigail (Dam) Crommett. She was b. 21 March 1781 and d. 5 May 1859.
Children of Valentine & Sarah (Crommett) Mathes:
1. +Dorothy Mathes, b. 14 Jan 1806; m. 29 Jan 1837 Nathaniel Coleman of Newington NH.
2. Valentine Mathes, b. 23 March 1807, d. 1 Aug 1883; m. 30 June 1833 Frances “Fanny” Mathes, his cousin, dau of John & Sally (Batchelder) Mathes [see above] who d. Aug 1852. He married 2nd) 11 May 1867 to Emeline S. Chesley. Had 8 children.
3. +John Mathes, b. 4 Nov 1808 m. Pamelia Mathes
4. Alfred Mathes, b. 16 June 1812, d. 16 march 1866; m. 16 Apr 1837 Sarah Woodman.
5. Jacob Mathes, b. 18 Jan 1815; m. Mehitable Willey
6. Charles Henry Mathes, b. 4 Feb 1817, d. 9 March 1886; m1) Abigail Cheswell; m2) Mary Elizabeth Chesley of Barrington NH.
7. Clarke Mathes, b. 14 Jan 1819; m. 22 Nov 1840 Susan D. Drew
8. Sally Mathes, b. 1 March 1824, d. 28 Sep 1825
Dorothy “Dolly” Mathes, daughter of Valentine & Sarah (Crommett) Mathes was b. 14 Jan 1806 in NH, and d. in 1886; m. 29 Jan 1837 Nathaniel Piper Coleman, son of James & Nancy (Piper) Coleman. He was b 21 Nov 1811 in Newington, Rockingham Co. NH and d. in 1876. He served 3 years in the state legislature.
1850 US Census > New Hampshire > Rockingham > Newington > 10
Coleman, Nathan P. 39 M Farmer 2000 NH [b abt 1811 NH]
Coleman, Dorothy 44 F NH
Coleman, Valentine 12 M NH
Coleman, James 10 M NH
Coleman, Clark 7 M NH
1860 US Census > New Hampshire > Rockingham > Newington > 6
Nathaniel P. Coleman 48 M Farmer NH
Dorothea Coleman 54 F NH
Valentine M. Coleman 22 M NH
James Coleman 20 M NH
Clark Coleman 17 M NH
Children of Nathaniel “Nathan P.” & Dorothy (Mathes) Coleman:
1. +Valentine Mathes Coleman, b. 12 Nov 1837 Newington NH
2. James Whidden Coleman, b 22 Oct 1839 Newington, NH, d. 25 June 1916; he m. 14 Jan 1866 to Mary E. Nutter, dau of Charles W. & Antoinette E.F.A. (Dewitt) Nutter. They had 3 children: Martha M., Mary (m. Charles A. Dame) and Charles W. [Biography]
3. Clark Coleman, b. abt 1843 Newington NH
John Mathes, son of Valentine & Sarah (Crommett) b. 4 Nov 1808, d. 3 Dec 1888; m. 24 Nov 1832 [town recs state 4 Dec 1834] to his cousin Pamelia Mathes, dau of Benjamin & Comfort (Smart) Mathes. She was b. 18 July 1814 and d. 7 Apr 1883. He lived on the old Bickford farm at Durham Point, Durham NH where he erected the brick house.
Children of John & Pamelia (Mathes) Mathes:
1. Burnham Mathes, b. 20 Aug 1836, d. 4 Feb 1895 Haverhill MA; m. 26 Apr 1862 Elizabeth A. Stevens. Ch: Carrie Chase and Burham.
2. Sarah Ann Mathes, b. 23 Apr 1838; m. Jonathan G. Carr of New London NH; 5 ch, George A., Edwin M., Mary E. Rose B and Alva L.
3. John Harrison Mathes, b 5 March 1840; m1) Elizabeth N. Young of Dover NH; m2) Widow — Clark of Portsmouth. By 1st married had 3 daughters: Cora and Minnie who died young, and Nellie who m. 1891 William H. Home.
4. Hamilton Augustus Mathes, b. 16 July 1842; m. Belle S. Hoitt
5. Benjamin Franklin Mathes, b. 9 Apr 1844; m. Joseph M. Hodgdon. Children: Walter, Harry, George, Benjamin.
6. +Valentine Mathes, b. 13 Feb 1846; m. Mary E. Pendexter
7. George Kittredge Mathes, b. 25 Sep 1848; d. 7 March 1898 Groesbeck TX, not married.
8. Dorothy Coleman Mathes, b. 14 March 1852
9. Charles Alvin Mathes, b. 8 Nov 1854
Valentine Mathes Coleman, son of Nathaniel Piper & Dorothy (Mathes) Coleman, was b. 12 Nov 1837 Newington NH and d. 1 Dec 1911 aged 74 years; he was one of the first trutees of the Langdon Public Library in 1892. He married Corinne Hoyt, dau of James & Lydia (Smith) Hoyt. She was born 28 June 1839 in Portsmouth NH. [See Bio] [Her bio]
1880 US Census > New Hampshire > Rockingham > Newington > District 217 > 9
Coleman, Valentine W M 42 Farmer NH NH NH
Coleman, Corinne W F 39 wife keeping house NH NH NH
Coleman, Dolly 2 F 7 dau NH NH NH
Coleman, Lydia W F 5 dau NH NH NH
Coleman, Nathaniel W M 3 son NH NH NH
1900 US Census > New Hampshire > Rockingham > Newington > District 193 > 3
Coleman, Valentine M. Head W M Nov 1837 62 married 29 NH NH NH
Coleman, Corinne H. wife W F June 1839 60 married 29 NH NH ME
Coleman, Dorothy M. dau W F July 1872 27 single NH
Coleman, Lydia S. dau W F Sept 1874 single NH
Coleman, Nathaniel P. son W M Jan 1877 23 M 0ch NH
Coleman, James H. son W M Sept 1880 19 single NH
Coleman, Florence H. dau W F May 1888 12 single NH
1910 US Census > New Hampshire > Rockingham > Newington > District 0247 > 4
Coleman, Valentine M Head M W 72 m1x 39 yrs NH NH NH Farmer
Coleman, Corinne H. wife F W 70 m1x 39 yrs 5 ch 3 living NH NH NH
Children of Valentine M. & Corinne (Hoyt) Coleman:
1. Dorothy “Dolly” Mathes Coleman, b. July 1872 in NH, d. bef 1915
2. +Lydia Smith Coleman, b. Sept 1874 in NH m. Calvin Lear, res. Portmouth NH
3. Nathaniel P. Coleman, b. Jan 1877 NH, d. before 1915
4. James Hoyt Coleman, b Sep 1880 resided Newington; In 1920 US census living in Newington NH with wife Helen V., and children Nathaniel (b abt 1912), Philip H. (b abt 1914)
5. Florence Hoyt Coleman, b. May 1888 NH; grad Smith College, A.B.
Valentine Mathes, son of John & Pamelia (Mathes) Mathes, b. 13 Feb 1846 NH; m. 18 Jan 1872 Mary Ellen Pendexter, dau of James M. & Mary Ann (Meserve) Pendexter of Durham NH. She was b. 14 Sep 1851.
Children of Valentine & Mary A. (Pendexter) Mathes:
1. Fannie Pendexter Mathes, b. 13 Aug 1874, Durham NH; Teacher in NYC
2. +John Ralph Mathes, b. 13 Sep 1877 (1878 on WWII Draft card); graduated Dartmouth College 1900; m. 5 Oct 1904 at Susquehanna PA to Leona DeWitt. Children, Valentine DeWitt b 7 May 1906 and Thomas DeWitt b 20 June 1908
3. Maurice Everett Mathes b 1 Nov 1881. Real estate and lumber merchant, Boston MA; 1904 graduate Dartmouth College, degree in science; In 1956 he is living next door to nephew Valentine Mathes. Everett Street in Dover NH was named by Valentine Mathes in honor of his son.
4. James Monroe Mathes, b. 23 Dec 1888; grad Dartmouth College 1911; advertiser in Chicago IL
5. Margaret Joy Mathes, b. 2 Nov 1890; attended college
Lydia Smith Coleman, dau of Valentine M. & Corinne (Hoyt) Coleman, was b. Sept 1874 in NH m. 17 Nov 1904 to Calvin Lear, son of Nathan White & Sarah E. (White) Lear. He was b. 28 Aug 1866 in NH; they res. Portmouth NH.
1920 US Census > New Hampshire > Rockingham > Portsmouth Ward 2 > District 143 > 15
Lear, Calvin D. head M W 53 married NH NH NH engineer, navy yard
Lear, Lydia S. C. wife F W 45 married NH NH NH
Lear, Valentine P. son M W 9 single NH
1930 US Census > New Hampshire > Rockingham > Portsmouth > District 36 > 2
Lear, Calvin D. Head 3000 W M 63 married 30 yrs NH NH NH Helper, Power Plant
Lear, Lydia S. wife F W 55 married 30 yrs NH NH NH
Lear, Valentine C. Lear son M W 20 single NH NH NH
Child of Calvin & Lydia S. (Coleman) Lear:
1. Gertrude Lear, b. Jan 1897 in NH;
1. Valentine C. Lear, b. 1 Feb 1910 Portsmouth NH; d. 29 March 1995 Rockingham NH. He married Mary T. Salesman, emp Bothwick’s Store Ports in Portsmouth NH; resided Wallis Road
John Ralph Mathes, son of Valentine & Mary A. (Pendexter) Mathes, b. 13 Sep 1877; graduated Dartmouth College 1900; m. 5 Oct 1904 at Susquehanna PA to Leona DeWitt, dau of Thomas & Mary M. (?) Dewitt. She was b. March 1884 in Susquehanna PA. They resided 70 Silver Street, Dover NH.
1900 US Census > Pennsylvania > Susquehanna > Susquehanna Depot > District 103 > 28
Kirk, George Head M W Feb 1824 76 mx2 PA NY NY
Kirk, Mary M wife W F Aug 1854 45 married 2x NY NY NY
Kirk, Lola/Lula step dau W F March 1884 16 single PA NY NY
Kirk, Rose I step dau W F July 1882 17 single single PA NY NY
1910 US Census > Pennsylvania > Susquehanna > Susquehanna Ward 3 > District 0089 > 2
Kirk, Mary M Head F W 55 widow 3 ch 2 living NY NY NY own income
Ellsworth, Belle dau F W 25 m1x 3 yrs 1 ch 1 liv PA NY NY
Ellsworth, Lewis S. son in law M W 27 m1x 3 yr NY NY NY
Ellsworth, George K. grand son M W 3/12 single PA NY NY
1920 US Census > New Hampshire > Strafford > Dover Ward 4 > District 165 > 3
Mathes, John R. Head M W 44 married NH NH NH Real Estate Agent
Mathes, Leona F W 35 married PA NY NY [she b. abt 1885 PA]
Mathes, Valentine son M W 13 single NH NH PA
Mathes, Thomas D. son M W 14 single NH NH PA
Mathes, Lona daughter F W 6 single NH NH PA
Kirk, Mary M. mother-in-law F 65 widow NY NY NY [b abt 1855]
Children of John R. & Leona (DeWitt) Mathes:
1. Valentine DeWitt Mathes, b 7 May 1906 NH; d. Dec 1976 Dover, Strafford Co. NH; resided Littleworth Road Dover NH, member of Common Council in 1945, City Councillor 1948, 1950; Lumber Dealer.
2. Thomas DeWitt Mathes b 20 June 1908 NH; res. Rollinsford NH; d. June 1977 in Manchester NH.
3. Lona Joy Mathes, b. abt 1914 NH; m. Ralph A. Hepler, res. Trumbull CT.
–OREAP (Oyster River Environs Archaelogy Project)–