I recently wrote an article about Fessenden & Lowell Co., a cooperage in the village of Reeds Ferry, Merrimack, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire. One of the co-owners of this shop or factory was Anson Darwin Fessenden.
Unlike his partner, Levi Lowell, Anson did not move to New Hampshire, but preferred to remain in Townsend, Massachusetts. From there he oversaw their interests which were many.
In this story, I will be focusing on the genealogy of the Fessenden family who were connected with the Fessenden & Lowell Co. of Merrimack New Hampshire.
===PARTIAL FESSENDEN GENEALOGY===
Nicholas Fessenden & Margaret Cheney
Thomas Fessenden & Abigail Poulter
Thomas Fessenden & Hannah Prentice
Aaron Fessenden & Sarah Locke
Benjamin Fessenden born 10 August 1772 Townsend MA; d 18 Dec 1837, aged 65 at Townsend MA. He married 11 March 1802 in Townsend MA to Lavina/Levina Stevens
She was born 24 Feb 1781 in Pepperell MA and died 24 Nov 1864, aged 83 at Townsend MA
Children of Benjamin & Lavina (Stevens) Fessenden:
1. Levina Fessenden b 14 June 1803 Townsend MA
2. +Benjamin Fessenden, b 8 Nov 1805 Townsend MA
3. Horace Fessenden, b 30 May 1808 Townsend MA; m. Salome Beebe, lived in Hanover NY and in Wisconsin.
4. Aaron Fessenden, b. 8 Oct 1810 Townsend MA; m1) Jane A. Baker; m2) 17 April 1832 in Peterborough NH to Sarah Woods
5. Walter Fessenden, b 20 Sep 1813 Groton MA; d. 28 Jan 1884 Townsend MA. He m. 6 Feb 1838 to Harriet Elizabeth Lewis
6. Emeline Fessenden, b 19 July 1816 Townsend MA
7. Mary F. Fessenden, b. abt 1822 Townsend MA. She d. 19 March 1900 in Worcester PA. She married J.Q. Sartelle
Benjamin Fessenden born 8 Nov 1805 Townsend MA; died 25 Sep 1882 in Townsend MA. He married 12 June 1831 in Townsend MA to Elizabeth “Betsey” Stevens, daughter of Ephraim & Jerusha (Chapman) Stevens. She was born 22 June 1806 Peterborough NH, died 19 Aug 1899 Townsend MA.
From: Historic Grand Haven and Ottawa County [Michigan] by Leo C. Lillie. [Editor’s note: The Aaron referred to should be Anson D., the subject of this story]. Aaron [sic, Anson] and Benjamin Fessenden moved the B. & A. D. Fessenden Co. from Townsend, MA to Grand Haven Michigan in 1881, when they bought out the Glover & Tate Tub Factory. In 1882 Silas Kilbourn bought out the Fessendens, who then returned to Townsend.” B. & A. P.Fessenden manufacturing fish-barrels.This Barrel Factory was located just east of the Boyden & Akeley mill. They manufactured staves for fish barrels and syrup barrels. The company employed about 60 men.
1880 GLOVER & TATE TUB FACTORY [1880-1881] The Glover & Tate Tub Factory manufactured barrels for shipping fish. It was located just east of the Boyden & Akeley Shingle Mill on the south side of the South Channel between Second and Third Streets. Benjamin and Aaron D. Fessenden [sic, Anson D.] of Massachusetts purchased it from Samuel Glover in 1881, a year after its founding. The company employed about 60 men at that time.
Children of Benjamin & Betsey (Stevens) Fessenden:
1. Lavinia Fessenden, b 25 March 1832, d. 22 Sep 1862; m. George W. Brown, son of Benjamin Safford & Clarissa W. (Tenney) Brown
2. Albert Fessenden, b 1834, d. 1835
3. +Anson Darwin Fessenden, b. 18 Feb 1839 Townsend MA
Anson Darwin Fessendan [SEE PHOTO AT TOP] born 18 Feb 1839 Townsend MA; died 27 Apr 1907 Townsend MA. He married Thirza Ann Boutelle, daughter of Calvin & Thirza (Pierce) Boutelle. She was born 17 Oct 1844 and d. 2 march 1993 both in Townsend MA.
They are buried in Hillside Cemetery, Townsend MA.
Children of Anson D. & Thirza A. (Boutelle) Fessenden:
1. +Alfred Newton Fessenden, born 24 April 1867 Townsend MA
2. Florence Bertha Fessenden, born & d. 1869
3. Marion Boutelle Fessenden, b. 7 March 1874 in Townsend MA, d. 1955; m. Victor Ernest Miller.
4. Robert Grovenor Fessenden, b 3 March 1883 Townsend MA, d. 1 Oct 1945 Townsend MA; he m. 9 Oct 1907 in Worcester MA to Hellen Potter, dau of Burton W. & Fannie E. (Wright) Potter. Buried Hillside Cem, Townsend MA
—- Next Generation —–
Alfred Newton Fessenden was born 24 April 1867 Townsend MA, died 11 Nov 1932 Townsend MA. He m1) 24 April 1899 in Mexico City, Mexico to Florence Luella Merrill
She was b. 4 July 1873, daughter of (74) Charles Calvin Merrill & Emma J. LeSure [see Genealogical Record of John Brown (1755-1809) and his descendants by Fannie Brownell Smith. He m2d) 16 Oct 1923 in Pasadena California to Katherine “Katie” Lillian Stone. She was b 29 June 1872 in Weymouth England and d. 31 July 1955 in Los Angeles California. Buried Hillside Cemetery, Townsend MA.
Who’s who in New England: A Biographical Dictionary of Leading Living Men by ed by Albert Nelson Marquis, p. 400
FESSENDEN, Alfred Newton, mfr; b. Townsend, Mass., Apr 24, 1867; s. Anson Darwin and Thirza A. (Boutelle) Fessenden; ed. Wilbraham Acad. and Mass. Inst. Tech.; m. in Mexico City, Florence L. Merrill, of Los Angeles, Cal., Apr. 24, 1899; 2 children: Stanley B., Donald L. Was with B. & A.D. Fessenden, cooperage and lumber, 1 year; mgr Kilbourn & Co. Grand Haven, Mich., 1889-90;mgr Kilbourn Cooperage Co. San Francisco 1891-2; with B. & A.D. Fessenden, Townsend Mass 1893-7; in book and stationery business in Pasadena, Cal 1897-9; treas. B & A D Fessenden Townsend Mass since 1899; pres. Annis Flour & Grain Co. (Manchester NH), Fessenden Cooperage Co. (Hoboken NJ), Kilbourn & Co. (Sandusky O.); treas. Annis Grain & Lumber Co. (Londonderry NH), Fessenden & Lowell (Reeds Ferry NH); dir. Townsend Nat. Bank. Mem Republican Town Com., Townsend, 1908-11; mem Mass Ho. of Rep. 1919-14. Mem. Patrons of Husbandry, Progressive, Conglist. Home: Townsend Mass.
Children of Alfred N. & Florence L. (Merrill) Fessenden:
1. Charles Merrill Fessenden, b & d. 1902
2. Stanley Boutell Fessenden, b 7 Nov 1904; d. 1978
3. Donald LeSure Fessenden, b. 8 Jan 1906; d. 1985