Winifred Lane was born on 30 April 1875 in Pittsfield NH, daughter of Charles Henry and Almira Lovena (Perkins) Lane. She attended the local Pittsfield schools, and graduated from Kimball Union Academy in Meriden New Hampshire. She was one of four children, with deep roots in the town of Pittsfield.
According to her biography, “she was a member of Congregational Church, Pittsfield, the church of her forebears, whose first clerk was her maternal great-grandfather, Deacon Jonathan Perkins, who also served as deacon from the organization of the church, 1789, till his death, forty years later; her esteemed father was warden and treasurer of this church many years and bequeathed a trust fund whose income is to be used for the repair of the church buildings”
Winifred Lane married on June 26, 1895 in Pittsfield NH to Charles Carpenter Goss, a banker. They had one child, Charles Lane Goss, who was born Feb 24, 1903. During their married life she lived at 74 Silver Street, Dover NH, and 10 Lexington Street, Dover NH.
Mrs. Winifred (Lane) Goss was active in her community. Her extensive list of civic clubs and contributions are taken again from her biography: “member Margery Sullivan Chapter, D.A.R. regent 1905-7 and member board of managers 1907-); state regent NH DAR and member National Board 113-15; regent DAR Chapter, S.S. Rotterdam, Mediterranean cruise, 1914; member state executive board DAR 1917-18, state executive board, American Red Cross, treasurer, Dover Chapter, Am. Red Cross, Dover Branch Woman’s Civil Fed. Dover Musical Soc, also of NH Y.W.C.A. War Fund; several years director and corresponding secretary Dover’s Children’s Home; director, N.H. Children’s Aid and Protective Association; member NH Society of Colonial Dames of America, Tuesday Study Club and Middlebrook Golf Club (Dover), District Nursing Assn and other local missionary, philanthropic and social clubs.”
One of her most noteworthy history projects was compiling a list of colonial gravestone inscriptions in New Hampshire (made between 1913 and 1942), that she published in book form under the auspices of the Colonial Dames of American in the State of New Hampshire. Mrs. Winifred (Lane) Goss died on 6 December 1960 and is buried beside her husband in Pine Hill Cemetery, Dover NH.
=== PARTIAL GENEALOGY OF WINIFRED (LANE) GOSS =====
William Lane of Boston, 1650, cordwainer & wife Mary.
William Lane, son of William Lane, born 1 Oct 1659, died 14 Feb 1749 aged 90 at the house of his son Joshua. Tailor of Boston MA. He moved to Hampton NH in 1686. He married Sarah Webster. She was b. 22 Jan 1660 d 6 Jan 1745 ae 85.They joined the North Church in Boston MA 1681. Moved in 1686 to Hampton NH settled on a grant of ten acres. He built a one-story house near the meeting house and the spot where the old academy stood.
Children of William & Sarah (Webster) Lane:
1. John Lane, b. 17 Feb 1785; m. 1709 Mary Libbey, dau of Anthony & Sarah (Drake) Libbey of Rye NH.
2. Sarah Lane b 6 Nov 1688, d. 3 Jan 1776. m. William Berry a farmer of Rye NH.
3. Elizabeth Lane, b. 12 July 1691; m. 1714 to Elias Critchett
4. Abigail Lane, b. 9 Dec 1693, m. 1715 to John Vittum
5. +Dea Joshua Lane b 6 June 1696; m. 24 Dec 1717 to Bathsheba Robie, dau of Samuel & Mary Robie. She was b. 2 Aug 1696 and d. 13 April 1765. 16 children. They lived in North Hampton NH, he was a tanner and shoemaker. He was killed 14 June 1766 by lightning.
6. Samuel Lane b 4 June 1698, d. 9 June 1776; m. Elizabeth Blake.
Joshua-3 Lane was b 1696 d 1766, son of William & Sarah (Webster) Lane. He married on 24 October 1717 Hampton NH to Bathsheba Robie, granddaughter of Samuel Robie who was b. at Castle Dunington, the family seat in Yorkshire, England and he came to America as early as 1639.
Children of Joshua & Bathsheba (Robie) Lane:
1. Dea Samuel Lane, born 6 Oct 1718, died 29 Dec 1806 in Hampton NH; m1) Mary James; m2) Mrs. Rachel Parsons
2. Mary Lane, b 7 Feb 1720, d. 18 June 1795; She m1) Jabez James; she m2) Jonathan Shaw
3. William Lane, b. 11 June 1723, d. 20 De3c 1802; He m. Rachel Ward; tanner and shoemaker. Soldier in the Continental Army during the American Revolution along with his son William.
4. Joshua Lane, b. 8 July 1724, d. 13 Jan 1794; m. 1747 Ruth Batchelder.
5. Josiah Lane, twin b * july 1724, d. 22 July 1729
6. Major John Lane b 14 Feb 1726, d. 21 March 1811. He m. Hannah Dow.
7. Sarah Lane b 3 Dec 1727, d. 8 June 1784.
8. Bathsheba b 6 June 1729, d. 5 Sep 1757; not married
9. Isaiah Lane b 21 Dec 1730; m. Sarah Perkins. They lived at Hampton Falls NH
10. +Dea. Jeremiah Lane, b. 10 March 1732 Hampton NH
Deacon Jeremiah Lane, son of Joshua & Bathsheba (Robie) Lane b. 10 March 1732 Hampton NH, d. 21 June 1806 Hampton NH. He married 18 Jan 1759 to Mary Sanborn, dau of Lieut Joseph & Susanna (James) Sanborn. She was born 23 May 1736 in Hampton NH and d. 17 Aug 1818 Hampton NH.
Children of Jeremiah & Mary (Sanborn) Lane:
1. Mary Lane b 21 Sep 1763; m 22 Oct 1789 Thomas Berry, son of Thomas & Abigail Lane) Berry.
2. Sarah Lane, b 3 Jan 1765, d. 27 Oct 1776
3. Dea Joshua Lane b 5 Aug 1766, d. 22 Aug 1853; m. 25 Nov 1790 Lydia Blake, dau of Jeremiah Blake. She was b. 7 Feb 1768 and d. 28 Oct 1854. members Congregational Church. In January of 1791 he settled in Chichester NH, a tailor and farmer, also a justice of the peace.
4. +Jeremiah, b 20 Jan 1768 Hampton NH; m. Hannah Tuck
5. V. Simeon, b 31 Dec 1869, d 17 July 1845 in Sanbornton NH, aged 76. He m1) 24 Dec 1795 to Sarah Morrill. She was b. 6 March 1784 Chichester NH, d. 19 Jan 1803 in Chichester NH, 3 children. He m2d) 22 Nov 1803 Huldah Tilton. She was b. 6 March 1785, and d. 12 June 1825, aged 42, 8 children. He m3d) Oct 1826 Mrs. Ismena Shaw who d. 25 Nov 1850 in Sanbornton NH ae 66.
6. a son, b, d. 17 July 1772
7. Levi Lane, b 14 Feb 1774, d. 28 Nov 1864. He m. 1 March 1798 to Anne Batchelder, daughter of David and Mary E. (?) Batchelder. She was b 26 Aug 1775 and d. 28 July 1848, 10 children. Lived on the homestead in Hampton Falls NH.
Deacon Jeremiah Lane son of Jeremiah & Mary (Sanborn) Lane was b 20 Jan 1768 at Hampton NH; d 18 July 1848 in Chichester NH, He married 1st) 2 Dec 1871 to Eunice Tilton, dau of . She was b 26 Nov 1764 and d. 18 Jan 1811. They had 7 children. He married 2d) 31 Dec 1811 to Hannah Tuck, dau of Lieut. Jesse & Hannah (Garland) Tuck
She b 2 Oct 1776, d 18 May 1848. He settled in Chichester NH in 1791. He and his 2nd wife were members of the Congregational Church. He was a signer of the association Test of Hampton NH.
Children of Dea. Jeremiah & Eunice (Tilton) Lane:
1. Benjamin T. Lane b 15 Dec 1792 Chichester NH; d. 21 Jan 1829 =; not married
2. Jeremiah Lane, b 21 Dec 1795, d 15 May 1874 Loudon NH; m. 29 Dec 1824 Nancy Perkins dau of Stephen Perkins of Chichester. She was b. 13 Apr 1804. He was a shoemaker. Abt 1826 they settled on a farm in Loudon NH where he died. She d. 14 Aug 1881; Free Baptists.
3. Joshua Lane b 1 April 1798; m. 23 Dec 1828 Abigail Berry dau of John Berry of Chichester. She was b. 3 May 1804; settled a farmer in Sanbornton NH, removed to the farm of Simeon Lane of Chichester. He died 28 Aug 1883, had 6 children.
4. a son b 13, d. 23 March 1800
5. Eunice Lane b 4 Apr 1801, d. Nov 1819
6. Polly Lane b 11 Aug 1802; m. 15 March 1826 Robert Rowe. A farmer in KensingonNH who d. 11 Nov 1861. She d. 4 Nov 1881. Had children.
7. Betsey Lane b 23 July 1805; m 25 Nov 1832 Stephen Perkins a farmer; had 7 children born in Chichester NH. She d. Sept 1890
8. Joseph Lane b 18 Apr 1808; d. 1849 unmarried
Children of Dea. Jeremiah & Hannah (Tuck) Lane:
9. Anthony Knapp Lane b 15 Dec 1812; m. 9 Sep 1841 Sally Yeaton of Epsom, b 8 Oct 1814. Settled in Chichester and d. 30 Dec 1884. They had 4 ch.
10. +Moses Garland Lane b 26 Aug 1814; m 29 Nov 1839 Sophia Sanborn (dau of Capt James Sanborn of Epsom); res on homestead in Chichester then moved to Pittsfield NH where she d 9 Aug 1856. They had 6 children
11. Hannah Sarah Lane b 26 Feb 1818; m. Jonathan C. Reed. 8 children.
Moses Garland Lane, b 26 Aug 1814, d 10 Oct 1896 Manchester NH,
son of Jeremiah & Hannah Tuck) Lane. He is buried in Floral Park Cemetery, Pittsfield NH. He married 1st) 2 Nov 1839 to Sophia Ann Sanborn, dau of Capt. James & Aibgail (Pearson) Sanborn. She was b 30 Sep 1818 Epsom NH and d. Aug 1856 Pittsfield NH
He married 2d) 18 March 1857 to Lucy L. Prescott, dau of Josiah & Abigail (Prescott) Prescott. She was b. 11 Sep 1816 and d. 1861. He married 3rd) 15 June 1865 in Concord NH
Sarah Elizabeth Yeaton-Sanborn, dau of John & Lucretia G. (McDaniel) Yeaton, as her 2nd husband, they were both widowed. She had married 1st) James Sanborn Jr. with whom she had 2 children, George E. Sanborn & Sarah Freese Sanborn. Sarah Elizabeth was b 23 Nov 1823 in Epsom NH d 19 Sep 1888.
Children of Moses Garland & Sophia (Sanborn) Lane
1. Elizabeth Ann Lane, b 6 April 1841 in Chichester NH. She m David Knowlton Swett
2. +Charles Henry Lane b Oct 1843 Chichester NH; m. Almira L. Perkins
3. Abbie Mary Lane, b abt 1847 Chichester NH, d. 26 June 1923 Concord NH; m. George Pease Woodman
4. James J. Lane b 1850, d. 1851
5. Helen A. Lane b 1853, d. 1853
6. Walter B. Lane b. 21 March 1855 NH, d. 5 April 1880 Manchester NH
Charles Henry Lane, son of Moses Garland & Sophia (Yeaton) Lane b 9 Oct 1843 Chichester NH d 23 Aug 1914 Pittsfield /or/ Chichester NH. Buried Floral Park Cemetery, Pittsfield NH. He married 2 January 1868 in Pittsfield NH to Almira Lovena Perkins, dau of Oliver L. & Abigail C. (Sanborn) Perkins She was b 3 Aug 1845 Pittsfield NH and d 25 Feb 1897 Pittsfield NH.
Children of Charles Henry & Almira L. (Perkins) Lane:
1. Willis H. Lane, b 29 Nov 1868 Pittsfield NH, d. 20 Nov 1875. Buried Floral Park Cemetery, Pittsfield NH
2. Kate R. Lane, b 18 Nov 1870 Pittsfield NH, d. 1873
3.+ Winifred Lane b 30 April 1875 Pittsfield NH
4. Ethel Lane, b 2 July 1880 Pittsfield NH; d 1884
Winifred Lane, born 30 April 1875 Pittsfield NH, daughter of Charles Henry and Almira Lovena (Perkins) Lane. A descendant of at least 5 American Revolution Patriots: Jesse Tuck, Abner Sanborn, Moses Locke, Jeremiah Lane and Eliphalet Sanborn. Lived Dover NH. She married 26 June 1895 in Pittsfield NH to Charles Carpenter Goss, son of John A. & Electa (Carpenter) Goss. He was b 9 Feb 1871 and d 3 May 1915. Buried Pine Hill Cemetery, Dover NH
Child of Charles Carpenter & Winifred (Lane) Goss:
1. Charles Lane Goss, b. Feb 24, 1903 member of Dover High School, 1921. He married June 25, 1928 at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Concord NH to Miss Constance Woodworth, dau of Edward K. Woodworth & –. Edward was Pres of NH Savings Bank. The bride grad from Vassar that month and Charles graduated from Dartmouth college, former Rhodes scholar and connected with a Worcester MA bank. [news Boston Herald]