A 1917-era postcard shows a handsome young man seated before a table. He is dressed in a WWI uniform. On the back of the card in dark ink is inscribed: “Eldred L. Sanborn, Lochmere, N.H.” Lochmere, for those not well versed in the many villages of rural New Hampshire, is an unincorporated community in the towns of Tilton and Belmont in Belknap County, New Hampshire. This gave me a clue as to where to start researching my latest eBay photo find.
The New Hampshire College, (now called the University of New Hampshire) school newspaper of 14 June 1916 shows that Senior student Eldred L. Sanborn received a gold Chase-Davis Memorial Medal. This was a medal awarded by The Glee Club, the gold one going “to the senior who has won his N.H. and stands highest in his studies.” He graduated from the school that same year (1916). The following year he registered for the WI Draft, which brings me to the clothing Eldred wears in this photograph.
The uniform is of WW One military issue. Many war service documents of that time are scarce, and if Eldred’s tombstone had not included an inscription of his service, I might still be scratching my head about it: “Sgt 2 Regt Air Sv, World War I.” This was the dawn of the age of using airplanes, or “aeroplanes” as they are often referred to, for military reconnaissance and warfare. It is unknown whether Eldred flew a plane, or offered technical service in the U.S. Air Service.
First Air War (NOVA Documentary
What is known is that he returned home safely from the war, married, and taught school for many years in California. After he died, his body was returned home, so that he could rest beside his family and ancestors in the small Sanbornton NH cemetery. The remainder of his story is told below.
The Sanborn family of Sanbornton is especially prolific. I do not plan to go into great detail on the entire family but will offer you information on Eldred L. Sanborn himself and his immediate family, with internet links so that you can learn more about his ancestry.
—–PARTIAL Genealogy of Eldred Louis Sanborn—–
Jeremiah Sanborn  (Jeremiah-3, John-4, William-3, WIlliam-1, John-1) & Miriam Dearborn
Josiah Sanborn, son of Jeremiah & Miriam (Dearborn) Sanborn b. 31 Jan 1770 Exeter NH, d 22 July 1855, ae 85-6; m. 20 Nov 1796 to [his cousin] Tabitha Sanborn, dau of Benjamin & Anna (Cate) Sanborn. She was b. 17 May 1776, died 28 Feb 1867 in her 91st year. She b. Sanbornton NH. They were members of the Central Church which they joined on 13 Oct 1816. [Some information from History of Sanbornton NH]
Children of Josiah & Tabitha (Sanborn) Sanborn:
1. Anna Sanborn, b. 20 Mah 1798; m. Christopher Moulton
2. Dearborn Sanborn, b. 26 Aug 1789; m. Joanna C. Durgin, dau of Wiliam; blacksmith at Sanbornton Bridge; moved to Holliston MA. Children: Hannah Hill, Charles Wesley, George Stores, Mary Durgin, Homer Dearborn, George LeRoy, Mary Weeks, Sarah Clarke, Laura Worthing
3. Abigail P. Sanborn, b. 1 July 1802; m. James G. Sanborn
4. Miriam Sanborn, b. 30 Jan 1804; m. Moses Clark
5. Hugh March Sanborn, b. 18 Sep 1805; moved to Brookline MA
6. Betsey Ann Sanborn, b. 4 Sep 1807; m. Perkins Moulton
7. Asa Sanborn, b. 2 Aug 1809, d. 1826
8. Leonard Sanborn, b. 4 Jan 1811 m. Elmira Rollins
9. Benjamin J. Sanborn, b. 6 Oct 1812; m. Sophia G. Clay
10. Lucinda Sanborn, b. 14 Oct 1814; m. Nehemiah Pulsifer
11.. +John Taylor Goodhue Sanborn, b. 6 Jan 1817 Sanbornton NH
Capt. John Taylor Goodhue Sanborn, son of Josiah & Tabitha (Sanborn) Sanborn, b. 6 Jan 1817 Sanbornton NH, d. 3 March 1900 Sanbornton NH. He m. Lousia Sanborn, dau of Abijah & Sarah (Philbrick) Sanborn. She was b. 1815 and d. 6 June 1894 in Sanbornton NH. Farmer. They are buried in Sanbornton Cemetery.
Children of John T.G. & Louisa (Sanborn) Sanborn:
1. Luthera Sanborn, b. 30 June 1836, d. 12 Aug 1836, ae 1 month
2. Althea Sanborn, b. 28 July 1838; m. Andrew P. Gilman
3. Clarence Burnap Sanborn, b. 20 Sep 1839; served in the cavalry during the Civil War, was wounded and lost his arm; m. Harriet H. Kimball
4. Benjamin James Sanborn, b. 19 Oct 1841, d. 11 Aug 1842 ae 10 months
5. Ellen Sanborn, b. 18 Dec 1843, d. 13 Dec 1876, age 33 of consumption
6. +John Brewer Sanborn, b. January 1849 Sanbornton NH
7. Ellen Sanborn, b. 1843, d. 13 Dec 1876
John Brewer Sanborn , son of John T.G. & Louisa (Sanborn) Sanborn, b 27 January 1849 in Sanbornton NH; d 19 January 1940; m. 5 April 1877 in Sanbornton NH to Asenath Quimby, daughter of Frederick & — (?) Quimby. She was b. 20 December 1850 Hill, Grafton Co NH and d. 2 December 1891 in Sanbornton NH, aged 40; buried Sanborn & Lougee Cemetery in Sanbornton NH.
1900 US Census > NH > Belknap Co. > Sanbornton
John B. Sanborn 51 Head W M Jan 1849 Widow NH NH NH Farmer
Maynard R. Sanborn 21 son July 1878 single NH NH NH at school
John F. Sanborn 14 son W M Feb 1886 single NH NH NH at home
Howard W. Sanborn 13 son W M May 1887 single NH NH NH at home
Eldred L. Sanborn 10 son W M April 1890 single NH NH NH at school
–living next door—
Sanborn, Otis S., Head W M Aug 1841 58 marr 28 yr NH NH NH Farmer
Sanborn, Maria F. wife W F May 1844 56 married 28 yrs 4 ch 4 living NH NH NH
Sanborn, Mabel F. dau W F Nov 1875 24 single NH NH NH at home
Sanborn CLifton R son W M Sep 1880 19 single NH NH NH at home
1910 US Census > NH > Belknap Co. > Sanbornton
Sanborn John B Head M W 61 widow NH NH NH Farmer
Sanborn J. Fred son W M 24 single NH NH NH farm laborer
Sanborn, Howard M. son M W 22 single NH NH NH farmer
Sanborn, Eldridge L son M W 23 single NH NH NH salesman book store
Sanborn, Tabathy cousin F W 79 widow 1 ch 0 living NH NH NH [b abt 1831 NH] servant pvt family
Children of John Brewer & Asenath (Quimby) Sanborn:
1. +Maynard Ray Sanborn, b. 6 July 1878 Sanbornton NH, d. 1947; m. Minnie Doig
2. +Fred John “John Fred” Sanborn, b 11 Feb 1886 Sanbornton NH; m. 27 Oct 1923 Laconia NH Vera Newell Cooke
3. +Howard Weaver Sanborn, b. 3 May 1887 Sanbornton NH, d. 5 April 1957 Franklin NH.
4. +Eldred Louis Sanborn, b. 9 April 1890 Sanbornton NH – this story is about him, see photograph above, and more biography below.
Maynard Ray Sanborn, son of John Brewer & Asenath (Quimby) Sanborn was born 6 July 1878 in Sanbornton NH, and d. 1947. He m. Minnie Doig. She was b abt 1880 in Scotland and d. 1935. They are buried in Sanborn & Lougee Cemetery, Sanbornton NH. In 1910 he was an asst librarian at Yale University Library. On Sept 12, 1918 he completed his WWI Draft Registration form, living at 189 Leete St. New Haven CT, his occupation gun maker for Marlin-Rockwell Corp.
1910 US Census > CT > New Haven > New Haven Ward 9 > 25 Woodland Street
Maynard Sanborn Head M W 32 m1x 4 yrs NH NH NH Asst Librarian, Yale University Library
Minnie Sanborn wife F W 31 m1x 4 yrs 1 ch 1 living Scot-English S-E S-E imm 1903
Helen Sanborn daughter F W 3 single CT NH Scot-Engl
Eldred Sanborn brother M W 25 single NH NH NH salesman book store
SANBORN, Ethel E. Holyoke MA. Ethel E (Elmer) Sanborn, 88, of 279 Cabot St, a former South Hadley resident, died 7 Jan 2002 in Renaissance Manor. She was born 19 March 1918 in Orange CT. the daughter of George C & Lizette M (Hartland) Elmer. Most of her childhood was spent in West Haven CT; she moved to South Hadley as an adult and Jived there until 1998 when she moved to Holyoke. She worked in the accounting field and had been active in the Laldies Auxiliary during WWII. Her husband, Alfred H Sanborn, died in 1963. Burial was in Oak Grove Cemetery, West Haven CT. [Daily Hampshire Gazette, Northampton MA, 9 Jan 2002, p B2; Springfield MA Union News, 9 Jan 2002 as printed in “Sanborn Signatures,” the publication of the Sanborn Family Association, Vol XVIII, Issue 2, Spring 2002
Children of Maynard R. & Minnie D. (Doig) Sanborn:
1. Helen Sanborn, b. 22 January 1907 CT; d. 14 Sep 1987 West Haven CT; She m. Edwin Eagan; resided at 21 Lester St. West Haven CT.
2. Alfred H. Sanborn, b. abt 1911 CT. He married Ethel Elmer, daughter of George & Lisette (Hartland) Elmer. She was b. 19 March 1918 in Orange CT, and d. 7 Jan 2002 in Holyoke MA. In 1940 living in West Haven CT a signal man in the RR. He finished 4th year HS.
Fred John “John F.” Sanborn, son of John Brewer & Asenath (QUimby) Sanborn was b. b. 11 Feb 1886 NH; d. 1959 NH. He m. 27 October 1923 in Laconia NH to Vera Newell Cooke, daughter of Harvey J. & Mabelle D. (Newell) Cooke. She was b 27 July 1905 Lawrence MA and d. 8 October 1982 in NH. They lived in Tilton NH.
1940 US Census > NH > Belknap > Tilton
John F. Sanborn 53 laborer
Vera N. Sanborn 32
Barbra L. Sanborn 16
Child of Fred J. & Vera N. (Cooke) Sanborn:
1. Barbara E. Sanborn, b. 2 April 1924 NH; d. 14 Dec 2012 Franklin NH. She is buried at Smith Meeting House Cemetery, Gilmanton, Belknap Co. NH
Howard Weaver Sanborn, son of John Brewer & Asenath (Quimby) Sanborn was b. 3 May 1887 Sanbornton NH, d. 5 April 1957 Franklin NH. He m. 16 April 1917 in Belmont NH to Elenora B. Currier, daughter of Frederick Adams & Harriet Louise (Twombly) Currier. She was b. 29 Jan 1895 in Malden MA and d. Aug 1985 in Danvers MA. They are buried in Sanbornton NH. He registered in 1917 for the WWI Draft.
Nashua Telegraph, Nashua NH 6 April 1957
Sanbornton, April 6–Funeral services will be held tomorrow for Howard W. Sanborn, 69, a former member of the State Legislature and town selectman for 17 years. He died yesterday after a long illness
1940 US Census > NH > Belknap > Sanbornton
Howard W. Sanborn Head M 52 NH C-4 Soil Conservation, Dept of Agriculture
Elenora C. Sanborn wife F 45 MA C-2
Russell T. Sanborn son M 22 NH C-3
Margaret E. Sanborn dau F 20 NH C-2
Ruth E. Sanborn dau F 17 NH H-2
Haven L. Sanborn son M 16 NH H-2
Allison Q. Sanborn dau F 11 NH 6
Harriet L. Currier mother-in-law F 83 MA C-3
Ellen L. Sanborn dau F 19 NH H-4 attendant state school
Mrs. Ellen (Sanborn) Merriam, 89, of Danvers, beloved wife of the late Frederic C. Merriam, died March 25, 2010, at Brooksby Village Renaissance Garden in Peabody. Born in Laconia, N.H., she was the daughter of the late Howard W. and Elenora (Currier) Sanborn. She was raised on a rural farm in Sanbornton, N.H., and educated in Sanbornton and nearby Tilton. She loved animals especially horses, and was a graduate of the University of New Hampshire, earning her degree in Geology. Following 10 years of social work at a nursing home in Lynn, Ellen was employed at North Shore Elder Services until the time of her retirement several years ago. Lifelong interests included genealogy research and singing in several choral groups. A long time member of the Maple Street Congregational Church in Danvers, Ellen was an active member of the Church Choir and Maple Eves women’s group, and more recently served as a Deacon. She is survived by her son, Frederic Sanborn Merriam and his wife Carol of Chelmsford and her grandsons David Merriam and his wife Becky of San Francisco and Eric Merriam and his wife Melisa of Somerville. Ellen was predeceased by three siblings, Russell T., Haven L. and Lois G. Sanborn and is survived by her sisters Ruth Briscoe of Groveland, Margaret Ryon of Victor, New York and a brother, Allison Q. Sanborn of Grafton along with many nieces and nephews. [Published in The Danvers Herald from Apr. 15 to Apr. 22, 2010].
Children of Howard W. & Elenora B. (Currier) Sanborn:
1. Russell T. Sanborn, b. 23 Jan 1918 NH; d. 27 Jan 1966 Hermosa Beach, LA, California. He m. Ina Clairene Allensworth, and had 4 children.
2. Margaret E. Sanborn, b abt 1919 NH, d. 6 March 2016 in Victor NY, age 96; m. Richard V. Ryon; lived Victor NY. Sons Douglas, Alan and Randall Sanborn.
3. Ellen Louise Sanborn, b. 8 Nov 1920 in Laconia NH; d. 25 March 2010 in Peabody MA; m. 4 June 1944 to Frederick Cutter Merriam, son of Clifton Harris & Virginia Frances (Cutter) Merriam; one child.
4. Ruth E. Sanborn b 1 July 1922 NH, d. 1 January 2016, aged 93; m. Austin R. Briscoe. Resided Groveland MA. Children: Margaret, Shirley, Beverly, and Richard.
5. Haven Lincoln Sanborn, b. 23 Dec 1923 Laconia NH; d. 23 June 1971 Moultonborough NH; m. 24 Aug 1947 in Belmont NH to Mildred Eva Blaisdell, dau of Ellis Newell & Eva Emily (Merrill) Blaisdell. 6 children.
6. Allison Q. Sanborn, b 15 Dec 1928 NH, he graduated from UNH 1947, residence Laconia NH at that time, late in S. Grafton MA and Westborough MA. In 1953 Director of the Student Union, UNH. on 9 March 1949 Pacific Stars and Stripes: “The following airmen will return to the United States for reassignment, and will sail on the USAT General Baltchford: Cpl. Allison Q. Sanborn, 33d Statistical Control, and Pfc. Robert C. Weiland, 55th Technical Unit. Past President of the Sanborn Family Association.
7. Lois Gale Sanborn, b. 1934 Laconia, d. 9 July 1938 Laconia NH.
Eldred Louis Sanborn [this story is about him], son of John B. & Asenath (Quimby) Sanborn, b. 8 April 1890 Sanbornton, Belknap Co. NH, and died 2 March 1967 in Yucaipa, San Bernadino, CA [SSDI] He graduated from Tilton Academy in Tilton NH. He served in the US Military, NH Sgt 2 Regt Air Sv, World War I. He graduated from New Hampshire College (now UNH) in 1917. He is buried in Sanborn and Lougee Cemetery, Sanbornton NH. In 1910 he was single living with his brother Maynard in New Haven CT, a salesman for a book store. He married before 1944 to Millie Stevens “Mildred S.” Neill, daughter of Walter W. & Annie Henrietta (Gerritsen) Neill. She was b 27 Sep 1893 in Hyde Park, Norfolk MA and d. 8 Nov 1982 in San Bernadino California. Her gravesite is unknown. She m2d) William L. Nasht. He was b. in Switzerland and d. 17 Dec 1975 in Yucaipa California, aged 86 years, from injuries sustained in a car accident. He was a teacher in Glendale City Schools for 25 years
and is buried in Mt. View Cemetery, Beaumont, California.
1908-1908 High School tuition paid at Tilton Academy for Eldred L. Sanborn. [Town of Sanbornton]
WWI Draft Registration (1917)
Eldred Louis Sanborn, 27
Address, Lisbon NH
DOB: April 8, 1890, Sanbornton NH
Occupation: Sub Master, Lisborn Public School, Lisbon NH
1917 Yearbook, The Granite, New Hampshire College [Now the University of New Hampshire]
Eldred Louis Sanborn “Sam”
Rope Pull (1) (2), Class Football (1)(2); Class Basketball; Captain Class Baksetball 92); Class Track (1) (2); Captain Class Track (2); Varsity Basketball (2)(3); Varsity Track (1) (2) (3); Corporal in Band (2) (3)
WW2 Draft Card
Eldred Louis Sanborn
1649 N. Normandie, Los Angeles, LA Calif.
52 years old, born 8 April 1890 Sanbornton NH
Next of Kin: Mrs. Mildred N. Sanborn 1649 N. Normandie, LA
Employer: Los Angeles Board of Education
1930 US Census > California > Los Angeles > Los Angeles
Eldred L. Sanborn 40 Head 6000 married at age 30 NH NH NH Teacher Public School
Mildred N. Sanborn 36 wife married at age 26 MA RI MA secretary law firm
Annie H. Neill 58 mother in law F W widow MA Can-English C-E