As is often the case, this story revolves around a photograph. A tin-type photograph shows an aged man and his wife in a seated, somewhat informal pose. They are both darkly dressed probably in their best Sunday outfits. The photographer added a bit of pink to their cheeks in the finishing process. The photograph was taken before 1886.
William Angell Scales and his wife Marietta Cox may have been taking the photograph so that their six children would have their likeness after they passed. Indeed, this photograph, and the other’s contained on this page, exist because they were given to one of their daughters. At some point, sadly, like many others it ended up on ebay for sale.
William Angell Scales was born in Sunapee, New Hampshire in 1800, and his wife, Marietta Cox, was born in Vermont. They, and their children, moved back and forth between the two states, as you will see from the ensuing genealogy detail. In the 1830s and 1840s William and Marietta lived in Woodstock, Vermont where they had their children. By 1853 they were living in Lempster, Sullivan Co., New Hampshire, and they remained in that town until 1886.
====SOME ANCESTORS & DESCENDANTS of William Angell-7 SCALES====
Editor’s Note: Some of the following information was taken from: “Some Descendants of William Scales of Rowley, Mass 1640,” edited by John Scales, A.M. of Dover, N.H. – NEHGS Register, Vol LXVI, 1912, page 42. However, all research was performed independently by the editor, prior to discovering the above text, and subsequently the NEHGS information was corrected (by me) in several instances, starting at the 6th generation.
William-1 Scales & Ann — of Rowley MA
James-2 Scales & Sarah Curtis of Rowley MA
James-3 Scales (1679-1646) & Sarah Curtis of Rowley & Boxford MA
John-4 Scales (1713-?) & Anna Baker
James-5 Scales, son of John & Anna (Baker) Scales, b. Dec 1740 in Boxford MA. He m. Lydia Nelson. He settled at Boscawen NH before 1770, and was living in Concord NH in the 1790 Census [1790: 2 males > 16, 2 males <16, 4 females]. He later moved to Bridgewater VT where he died.
Children of James & Lydia (Nelson) Scales:
1. + James-6 Scales, b. 4 Aug 1770 Boscawen NH
2. John Scales, b. 2 May 1772 Boscawen NH; settled in Maine
3. Stephen Scales, b. 4 July 1774 Boscawen NH; lived in Vermont
4. Abraham Scales, b. 6 Jan 1776 Boscawen NH; died unmarried in 1807; graduated from Harvard College in 1800, a physician in Boston
5. William Scales, b. 10 May 1778 Boscawen NH
6. Oliver Scales, b. 18 June 1780 Boscawen NH, d. unm in 1804
7. Moses Scales, b. 20 Sep 1782 Boscawen NH, d. 1852
8. Mercy Scales, b. 1784 Boscawen NH, d. unmarried
9. Susan Scales, b. 1788 Boscawen NH, d. unmarried
James-6 Scales son of James & Lydia (Nelson) Scales, b. 4 Aug 1770 Boscawen NH, d. 1836 in Bridgewater, Windsor Co VT. He. m1) by 1793 to Cynthia “Alpha” [?Eleanor] Angell, dau of Eber & Jerusha (Eddy) Angell, b. 8 Feb 1769 in Smithfield, Providence RI, d. — NH. [Her parents had moved to Wendell-Sunapee, Cheshire Co. NH by 1772]. [Note: Town of Saville granted 7 Nov 1768; in 1772 settled by emigrants from RI. In 1781 town name changed to Wendell. In 1850 it was changed again to Sunapee. It was originally in Cheshire County, but now in Sullivan County when it was separate in 1827. Five years after the original grant, the town had 72 people, in 1786 there were 195.] He married 2d) 20 Sep 1820 at Bridgewater VT to Olive Backus. He was a farmer, living at Bridgewater VT after 1790.
Children of James & Cynthia (Angel) Scales:
1. Synthia Scales, b. 3 Nov 1793 in Sunapee, NH
2. +William Angell-7 Scales, b. 9 July 1800 in Sunapee, Sullivan Co. NH
Children of James & Olive (Backus) Scales:
3. Henry L.-7 Scales, b. 4 Apr 1822 in Bridgewater VT, d. 28 July 1897 in Bridgewater VT; He m1) by 1854 to Sophronia/Sophrenia “Lucy S.” Backus. She was b. 1822 and d. 1862, buried South Road Cemetery, Bridgewater VT; He m2d) 11 April 1863 in Bridgewater VT to Mary A. Pratt. She was b. 1826 and d. 1902 Children of 1st wife: (1) Lucie A. Scales, b. abt 1849 VT; m. 10 Nov 1872 in Woodstock VT to Charles M. White (2) Juliaette “Julia E.” Scales, b. abt 1854, d. 6 Nov 1900 in W. Windsor VT, m. 3 Jan 1877 in Woodstock VT to William H. Anthony.; (3) Edmund L. Scales, b. abt 1857 Bridgewater VT, d. 21 March 1902 in Bridgewater VT.
4. Chester Cyrus-7 Scales, b. 22 Jan 1827 Bridgewater VT, d. 20 Jan 1892, buried Plains Cemetery, Weathersfield VT. He m. 1 Jan 1852 to Aurilla Holt, dau of Asa & Jerusha (Putnam) Holt. She was b. c1833 in Marlow NH and d. 7 Feb 1920. Children: (1) James Simon Scales, b abt 1850 in Plymouth VT, d. 30 July 1936, age 86. H m1) 3 Oct 1882 in Chester VT to Eva H. Bancroft He m2d) Julia Gould; (2) Luella Bell Scales, b. 18 Nov 1852 in Plymouth VT, d. 20 May 1915 in Weathersfield VT. She m. 21 Oct 1886 in Weathersfield VT to Horace Rollin Squire and had 3 children, Anne Squire, Hiland Lockwood Squire and Horace Harrison Squire. She married 2nd) 24 Sep 1901 in VT to Fred H. Perry; (3) Asa Scales, b. abt 1862 in VT; (4) Florence “Flora” Scales, b abt 1865 in Bridgewater VT. She m. 31 Jan 1885 Plymouth VT to Michael Fyman. In 1910 living in Rockingham, Windham Co. VT with children Benie (age 24), James (age 18) Marion (age 15) Merton (age 13) and Patrick (age 10).
William Angell-7 Scales**, son of James & Alpha/Cyntha (Angel) Scales, b. 9 July 1800 Sunapee NH, d 26 April 1886 in Lempster NH; He married Mary Etta/Mariettta Cox**, daughter of Eben & Mary Etta (?) Cox. She was b. 2 July 1805 in Woodstock or Halifax VT, and d. 22 January 1890 in Swampscott MA. She is buried in Lempster NH. In 1853 living in Lempster NH. Farmer. Carpenter. He was a deacon of the church and a prominent citizen.
1860 US Census > NH > Sullivan > Lempster
William Scales M 58 NH
Mary E. Scales F 45 NH
Lyman M. Scales M 16 VT
1880 US Census > NH > Sullivan > Lempster
William A. Scales self M 80 NH
Mary E. Scales wife F 75 VT
Earl C. Scales son M 50 VT
Children of William A. & Mary E. (Cox) Scales:
1. +George W. Scales**, b. 19 July 1829; lived at Nashua NH.
2. + Earl Cox Scales**, b. 31 Dec 1830 in Woodstock VT
3. Caroline M. “Carrie” Scales, b. 11 April 1832 in Woodstock NH [per marr rec prob VT], d. 8 Apr 1900; m. – Bass of Woburn MA; She m2d) 24 June 1863 in Claremont NH to George W. Andrews, son of Mark Andrews [marr cert says 2nd marr for both]. He was b. 6 April 1814 in Enfield NH, and died 9 Oct 1882 in Woburn MA, a shoemaker. He m1st) Ann W. Leathe. He m2d) 21 Jan 1845 in Claremont NH to Lucretia E. Stevens. He had children by 1st and 2nd wives.
4. Walter W. Scales, b. abt 1833 Woodstock VT, d. 11 Sep 1894 in Lempster NH; buried E. Lempster NH; disabled invalid soldier. He m. Harriet Olivia Dame, daughter of Joel & Harriet (Gunnerson) Dame of Lempster NH. She was b. 27 Sep 1836. They had children:
Frank, Emily S., and Ida O.
5. Maria “Fannie” Scales, b. 16 Feb 1835 in Woodstock VT; d. 18 Jan 1904 in Woburn MA,aged 68; buried Langdon NH. She m1) Dr. Robert Kelley of Chelsea MA. They had one son. [A Philip Kelley was nephew of Robert] She m2d) 16 Aug 1880 in Woburn MA to Willard Corridon Cummings, son of Amos & Louisa (Chipman) Cummings. Per marriage record he was a physician, b. 10 Oct 1830 in Poland, Androscoggin Co., Maine. They had one daughter. In 1900 they were living in Alstead NH. She is buried in Langdon NH. The origin of the photographs shown came from descendants or relatives of her family (i.e. Kelley).
6. +Lyman M.-8 Scales, [SEE Photo] b. 12 June 1843 Vermont [back of photo says Earl’s son]. In 1860 shown in 2 censuses, one in Lempster NH, and 2nd in Lawrence MA, living in the household of Henry H. Hartwell, a Methodist clergyman, he himself listed as clerk. Never married.
George W.-8 Scales, [SEE Photo] son of William A. & Mary E. (Cox) Scales, b. 19 July 1829 VT; m 6 June 1848 Nashua NH to Mary B. Miller. He lived at Nashua NH then removed to Woodstock VT.
1870 US Census > Hillsborough > Nashua
[boarding with many others in household of Clara C. Page]
Scales George 21 M W Painter Vermont Nov
Scales Ella 16 F W NH
Scales Benjamin 20 M W Painter VT
Scales, Henrietta 23 F W housekeeper MA
Children of George W. & Mary B. (Miller) Scales:
1. George A.-9 Scales, b. abt 1849 Woodstock VT, died 18 Aug 1882 in Nashua NH, aged 33. He m. 16 Nov 1869 NH in NH to Ella E. Warren, dau of George & Maria E. (Hannaford) Warren. In 1870 living in Nashua NH with brother Benjamin and wife living with them. She died 16 September 1870 in Nashua NH of Typhoid Fever.
2. Benjamin F.-9 Scales, b. Woodstock VT; m. 24 March 1869 NH to Henrietta T. Saunders, dau of Joel & Mary (Roberts) Saunders. She was b. abt 1847 in MA and d. 22 July 1910 in Nashua NH. They had a daughter, Elizabeth M. “Lizzie” Scales, b. 25 Feb 1871 in Nashua NH. They divorced by 1880 when Henrietta and daughter are living with her parents in Nashua NH.
Earl Cox-8 Scales, son of William A. & Mary E. (Cox) Scales, b 31 Dec 1830 in Woodstock VT, d 8 April 1900 in Alstead NH; m1) 10 Nov 1853 in Lempster NH to Catharine L. Wallace. She was b. 3 Feb 1827 at Glasgow Scotland, “from” Manchester NH at the time of their marriage. She died 28 Apr 1902 at Dover NH. He m2) 2 Aug 1885 in Alstead, Cheshire Co. NH to Hattie Ann Nash, dau of David O. & Hannah B.(?Nash) Nash. She was b 13 June 1870 in Alstead, Cheshire Co. NH
1870 US Census > NH > Lempster
Scales Earl C 39 M W Farmer 1100 200 Vermont
Scales Catherine L 44 F W keeping House Scotland
Scales Metilda J 14 F W attending School NH
Scales Marietta 6 F W attending school NH
Cummings John H. 10 M W works on farm Iowa
Scales, William A. 69 M W Farmer 500/500 NH
Scales, Maryetta 65 F W keeping House VT
Children of Earl Cox & Catherine L. (Wallace) Scales:
1. +Matilda Jane-9 Scales, b abt 1856 NH, d. 1 March 1946 in Alstead, Cheshire Co. NH; She m. Clifton A. Metcalf
2. +Marietta-9 Scales, b 17 July 1861 NH [death rec says born Cameron IL], d. 5 March 1931 Dover NH; m. Fred E. Quimby of Dover NH. They lived at 73 Silver Street in Dover NH. He was b abt 1858 in Maine.
Matilda Jane-9 Scales, dau of Earl C. & Catherline L. (Wallace) Scales, b. abt 1856 in NH, d. 1 March 1946 in Alstead, Cheshire Co. NH. She m. Clifton A. Metcalf, son of Joseph and Lucy (Gould) Metcalf. He was b. 7 May 1856 in Lempster [or Acworth] NH, and died 14 August 1931 in Alstead NH. They lived in Dover NH. He was a printer. He is buried in North Newport NH
Children of Clifton A. & Matila J. (Scales) Metcalf:
1. William Wallace-10 Metcalf, b 14 June 1879 in Concord NH [per his Mason membership card, Alfred Baylies Lodge, Taunton MA]; He m1) 24 Oct 1889 in Somersworth NH to Eola E. Webb, dau of Charles & Nellie (Doying) Webb. She was b. abt 1880 in Irasburg VT; He m2) 19 April 1909 in Dover NH to Anna Frances “Annie” Lardner, dau of Michael & Annie (?) Lardner. She b. abt 1883 in Amesbury MA. At time of marriage he was an engineer in Taunton MA. In 1920 they were living in Fresno CA. He had a son by his 1st wife, Clifton Wallace-10 Metcalf, b. 9 June 1899 in Dover, Strafford Co. NH. In 1910 he is living in the Doying household in Dover NH. In 1910 he was living in Franklin NH lodging with Walter & Nellie Ober. In 1917 he was working for the Boston & Albany Railroad, South Station Boston MA, living at 202 Main Street, Bradford MA his father is his NOK on WW1 registration card. In 1920 he was living in Haverhill MA, a wood heeler in a shoe factory [his grandmother Emma in same household].
2. +Henry Clifton-10 Metcalf, b. 10 July 1881 in Lempster, Sullivan Co. NH. In 1917 hardware merchant in Alstead NH; In 1942 WW2 Draft registration filed from Alstead NH. NOK: Carroll R. Metcalf.
Marietta-9 Scales, dau of Earl C. & Catherine L. (Wallace) Scales, b 17 July 1861 NH [death rec says born Cameron IL], d. 5 March 1931 Dover NH; m. 10 Nov 1878 in Dover NH to Fred E. Quimby of Dover NH, son of Eli H. & Sarah E. (Tibbetts) Quimby. They lived at 73 Silver Street in Dover NH. He was b 15 Dec 1857 in So. Berwick, Maine, and died 13 Oct 1933 in Dover NH. In 1903 Fred was City Clerk of Dover NH. They were buried in Pine Hill Cemetery, Dover NH.
1910 US Census > NH > Strafford > Dover
Fred E. Quimby Head M 50 Maine
Mariette Quimby wife F 49 Illinois
Edward H. Quimby son M 29 NH
Child of Fred E. & Marietta (Scales) Quimby:
1. Edward Harold-10 Quimby, b 2 October 1880 in Dover NH; he m1) 10 Nov 1903 in Dover NH to Ellen W. Jarvis, dau of John & Sarah J. (Bates) Jarvis. She was b. abt 1884 in Bradford, England. He was a bookkeeper at the time of his marriage. They divorced, and she m2) 25 April 1909 in Everett MA to George Sturcken, son of John H. & Annie M. (Kolster) Sturcken. He m2d) 24 Feb 1917 in Dover NH to Pansy Mae Nason, dau of Moses B. & Velma E. (Robinson) Nason. They had a son, Edward Harold-11 Quimby Jr., b 16 Aug 1921 NH, died Jan 1964; m. 5 Oct 1941 in Rochester NH to Isabelle Ella Barber, dau of George J. & Margaret (Durward) Barber. He is buried in Rochester Cemetery, Rochester NH. [NOTE: Edward H. & Isabelle E. (Barber) Quimby had children: Fred Quimby [Cynthia] of New Durham NH; Ann (Quimby) Kimball [Edward] of Yardley PA, and Nancy (Quimby) Haseltin [George] of Rochester NH. [findgrave son & wife]
Henry Clifton-10 Metcalf, son of Clifton & Matila J. (Scales) Metcalf, was b. 10 July 1881 in Lempster, Sullivan Co. NH. In 1917 hardware merchant in Alstead NH; In 1942 WW2 Draft registration filed from Alstead NH. NOK: Carroll R. Metcalf. He married by 1907 to Mabel Mary Hatch, dau of Edward P. & Lilian A. (Davis) Hatch. She was b. 20 Aug 1883 in Alstead NH, and d. 9 May 1970 in Keene NH.
Children of Henry C. & Mabel M. (Hatch) Metcalf:
1. Alma E. Metcalf, b. 14 May 1907 in Alstead NH; d. 3 Dec 1997 in Westmoreland NH; m. 21 Oct 1934 in Colchester VT to Morris Shearl Ring, son of John E. & Mabel L. (Hiland) Ring. She b. 6 March 1905 in Newport NH, and d. Nov 1962.
2. Clarence Walter Metcalf, b. 13 April 1910 in Alstead NH, d. 8 May 1992 in Concord NH. He m. 9 Aug 1941 in Greenville NH to Jessie Helena Barnes, dau of John T. & Jessie (Hallas) Barnes. She was b. 20 Feb 1914 in Lonsdale RI and d. Oct 1985 in Concord NH.
3. Carrol(l) Henry Metcalf, b. 29 Nov 1912 in Alstead NH; d. 1 June 1995 in Keene NH. He married Frances E. Pierce. She was b. 11 March 1908, and d. 12 June 2001 in Concord NH.
Bridgewater (Vermont) Historical Society Gallery (photographs)