David Lloyd Crossett was born 9 December 1917 in Somerville MA, son and one of ten children of Charles R. & Bernice H. (Rice) Crossett. He spent a few years in Leominster MA before his parents moved to Manchester New Hampshire. There his father taught at Central High School, but later changed his profession to that of investment banker, selling stocks and bonds. While in Manchester the Crossett family lived at 333 Bridge Street then later at 50 Webster Street in Manchester. His parents later moved to 375 Bridge Street.
David’s grandfather, Charles Rollins Crossett Senior was a minister, and had been pastor of the Bethel Advent Church in Manchester for several years. Both David’s father and grandfather were veterans.
David attended Manchester’s local schools, graduating from Central High School, Class of 1936. One source states that he attended a culinary school and was afterwards working as a prep cook and chef in New York on the Hudson River.
On 3 Jan 1941, at the age of 24 David enlisted in the United States Navy, at Boston MA.
After attending Navy boot camp and receiving training, he was transferred to USS Utah, stationed in Hawaii. He was received on board for duty on 29 July 1941. On 1 Oct 1941 he was promoted to Sea1c. On that deadly morning of 7 December 1941 he was on board the USS Utah. Reportedly he shot twice by a Japanese fighter as he headed to the crow’s nest of the Utah. When the smoke cleared, David was declared missing in action, and then shortly afterwards, the U.S. Navy listed him as dead from hostile fire. He received the purple heart posthumously.
Four New Hampshire men were entombed in the Pearl Harbor attack. (Others were killed, but their bodies were found.) The first N. H. officer to die, Ensign Edward B. Cloues of Warner was among them, as were Bruce R. Edmunds of Epsom, David L. Crossett of Manchester and Edwin C. Hopkins of Keene.
The name of Sea1c David Lloyd Crossett can be found on the Tablets of the Missing at Honolulu Memorial: Honolulu, Hawaii . In addition his name has been inscribed on the New Hampshire Marine Memorial at Hampton NH to honor New Hampshire heroes who lost their lives at sea. A few years later his brother Carleton would be killed in action at Okinawa.
[Editor’s Note: This article is one of several I have written at the request of Don Pinard, Department of Public Works, Chief of Parks, Recreation and Cemetery Division, City of Manchester, New Hampshire. It is a volunteer project (on my part) to better record and share the stories of the men memorialized by the city’s “Military Squares.” All the information specifically within the body of this project is shared copyright free with the City of Manchester and its representatives, with the exception of photographs provided by family or friends who still retain whatever rights conveyed to them by law.]
======GENEALOGY OF DAVID LLOYD CROSSETT======
William Crossett, son of James & Elizabeth (Rogers) Crossett, b. 1684 in Antrim Ireland, and d. 1722 in MA. He m1) 1705 in Antrim Ireland to Mary Masterson. He m2) 1714 in Ireland to Martha Hamilton.
Children of William & Mary (Masterson) Crossett:
1. Robert Crossett
2. Hannah Crossett
Children of William & Martha (Hamilton) Crossett [they had 7 ch]:
3. Archibald Crossett, b. 1715 Antrim Ire, d. after 1794
4. James Crossett, b. 1718 MA
5. William Crossett, Jr. b 1719 MA
+6. Robert Crossett, b. 1723 Pelham MA
Robert Crossett, son of William & Martha (Hamilton) Crossett, b. 9 March 1723 Pelham, MA; d. 1812 Rutland MA. He m. 24 Nov 1748 at Rutland MA to Mary Savage. She b. 15 Sep 1728. He removed with his widowed mother and 3 brothers from Ulster Co. Ireland to Pelham MA.
Children of Robert & Mary (Savage) Crossett; [ten children including]:
+ Samuel Crossett, b. 25 Dec 1750 in Boston MA
[Another branch of this line traced here]
Samuel Crossett, son of Robert & Mary (Savage) Crossett, b. 25 Dec 1750 in Boston MA; d. 2 Nov 1802/3 New Salem, Hampshire Co. MA. He m. 1774 to Abigail Cady. She b. 4 Jan 1757 and d. 29 Aug 1814.
Children of Samuel & Abigail (Cady) Crossett:
1. Sally Crossett, b 1776, d. 1862
2. +Robert Crossett, b. 1781, d 1842
3. Abigail Crossett, b. 1784, d. 1852
4. Samuel Crossett, b. 1786, d. 1850
5. Hannah Crossett, b. 1791, d. 1792
Robert Crossett, son of Samuel & Abigail (Cady) Crossett, b. 18 May 1781 in New Salem, Hampshire MA, d 16 April 1842 in Springfield, Hampden Co. MA; m. 1774 Mary Abbott, dau of Joel & Judith (Stevens) Abbott. She b. 3 May 1782 in Brookfield, Worcester MA, and d. 5 Nov 1815 in Northampton, Hampshire MA. In 1842 her remains were moved from Northampton MA to Springfield MA and reburied.
Children of Robert & Mary (Abbott) Crossett:
1. George Abbott Crossett, b. 16 Aug 1805 Boston, Suffolk MA; d. 24 May 1887 Sprinfield MA
2. Robert Crossett, b 21 Aug 1809 Boston MA, d. 24 March 1862 in Springfield MA; cabinet maker
3. +Charles Rollin Crossett, b 31 July 1811 Springfield MA
4. Mary Abbott Crossett, b. 18 Feb 1814 Springfield MA; d. 17 Nov 1859 Springfield MA
5. Sarah Abbott Crossett
6. Abigail Crossett
Charles Rollin Crossett, son of Robert & Mary (Abbott) Crossett, b. 31 July 1811 Springfield MA and d 11 July 1884 in West Springfield MA; he married Mary Colson, dau of — and Abigail (Stockwell) Colson. She b. abt 1814 in Scantic CT and d. 28 Dec 1893 in W. Springfield MA (a widow). Resided Willard Ave, Oak Grove, Springfield MA.
1860 US Census > MA > Hampden > Springfield
Charles R. Crossett 48 cabinet maker 600/150 Mass
Mary Crossett 46 F Conn
Ellen Crossett 22 printing office Mass
Eliza Crossett 19 dress maker Mass
Martha Crossett 18 — shop Conn
Rollin Crossett 12 M Conn
Children of Charles R. & Mary (Colson) Crossett:
1. Ellen Crossett b abt 1838 MA
2. Eliza Crossett b abt 1839 MA
3. Martha Adelaide Crossett, b. 17 Sep 1842 in East Windsor [Warehouse Point] CT, d. 7 December 1912 in Springfield MA ; m.3 July 1865 in Springfield MA to Daniel White, son of Daniel & Sarah (?) White. He b. abt 1833 in England. Occupation, jeweler. She is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery, Springfield MA. Their daughter Grace A. White, d. 16 Sep 1929 in Manchester NH, the wife of George B. Noyes
4. Charles Rollin “Rollin” Crossett, Jr. b. 28 Oct 1847 Warehouse Point, Hartford Co., CT
Rev. Charles Rollin Crossett, son of Charles R. & Mary (Colson) Crossett, b. 28 Oct 1847 Warehouse Point CT, d. 2 July 1917 in Manchester NH; he m. 6 June 1868 at West Springfield MA to Fannie Sarah Hubbard, dau of Henry & Sarah G. (Perkins) Hubbard. She b. 1849 Springfield MA and d. 17 Apr 1898 in Manchester NH. Occupation Trunk maker and time of marriage. 1880 census CLERGYMAN. In 1870 living in Springfield MA. He married 2nd 20 Sep 1899 in NH to Nettie D. Piper-Linus dau of John & Annie Piper. He enlisted in naval military service November 1865 at Philadelphia. He and his wife Nettie received a pension. From 1880-1883 pastor of the Adventist church in Manchester NH, near the Ash Street School. In 1914 Pastor church is Amherst Street between Pine and Union. In 1915 Advent Church, house 181 Sagamore
1880 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester
Charles R. Crossett self M 33 CT
Fannie S. Crossett wife F 32 MA
Edith Crossett F 8 MA
Robert Crossett M 6 MA
The Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth NH, 19 April 1898. Mrs. Fannie S. Crossett, wife of Elder Charles R. Crossett of the Bethel Advent Church, Manchester, died earlyl Sunday evening at the age of 49 years, 6 months and 26 days. Mrs. Crossett was born in Springfield MA.
1900 US Census > MA > Middlesex > Lowell > 1 Rolfe Road
Crossett Charles Head W M Oct 1847 52 married CT CT CT CLergyman
Crossett Nettie D. wife W F July 1856 43 married 0 yrs 0 ch 0 living NH VT NH
Crossett Charles R. son W M Oct 1883 16 single NH CT MA at school
Crossett Mary E dau W F Nov 1885 14 single NH CT MA at school
Children of Charles R. & Fannie S. (Hubbard) Crossett:
1. Edith Crossett, b abt 1872 Springfield MA; d. 16 Dec 1938 in Manchester NH; she m. 10 May 1899 in Manchester NH to Edno Eugene Muzzy, son of James E. & Celia (Merrill) Muzzy. He b. in Orono, Maine
2. Robert Crossett, b. abt 1873-74 MA; d. 24 Nov 1883 Portsmouth NH, age 10
3. +Charles Rollins Crossett b 17 Oct 1883 Portsmouth NH
4. Ethel Mae “Mary E.” Crossett, b 13 Nov 1885 Portsmouth NH; m. 26 June 1907 in Salem MA to Herbert L. Whittier, son of Louis G. & Josephine H. (Price) Whittier. He b abt 1885 in Manchester MA
Charles Rollins Crossett, son of Charles R. & Fannie S. (Hubbard) Crossett, b. 17 October 1883 Portsmouth NH, d. 21 Feb 1944 in Manchester NH. He married 23 May 1914 in Somerville MA to Bernice Hastings Rice, dau of Wallace M. & Caroline A. “Carrie” (Covert) Rice. She b. in Everett MA, and d. 5 March 1931 in Goffstown NH. At the time of their marriage he was a salesman and she a music teacher, both residing in Somerville MA. In 1926 they were living in Manchester NH (per directory) he a teacher at the High School, living 333 Bridge Street. By 1930 he was an investment banker, residence 50 Webster Street.
1920 US Census > MA > Worcester > Leominster > 36 View Street
Charles R. Crossett 36 Education, school
Bernice H. Crossett 29
Charles R. Crossett 5
Carolyn R. Crossett 4
David L. Crossett 2
1930 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester > 50 Webster Street
Crossett Charles R Head 3,500 M W 46 married at age 30 NH NH NH salesman stocks & bonds
Crossett Bernice H wife F W 39 married at age 23 MA NH NH
Crossett Charles Jr. son M W 15 single MA NH NH
Crossett Caroline dau F W 14 single MA NH NH
Crossett David son M W 12 single MA NH NH
Crossett Mary dau F W 9 single NH NH NH
Crossett Paul son M W 7 single NH NH NH
Crossett Carlton son M W 5 single NH NH NH
Crossett Janet daughter F W 3-11/12 single NH NH NH
Crossett Edith dau F W 4/12 single NH NH NH
Crossett Robert son M W 2-6/12 single NH NH NH
1940 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester
Charles R. Crossett Head M 56 NH
Mary L. Crossett dau F 19 NH
Paul H. Crossett M 17 NH
Carleton W. Crossett son M 15 NH
Janet I Crossett dau F 13 NH
Robert A. Crossett son M 12 NH
Edythe M. Crossett dau F 10 NH
Children of Charles R. & Bernice H. (Rice) Crossett:
1. Charles Rollin Crossett Jr. b abt 1915 MA; m. 25 April 1943 in Littleton, Grafton Co. NH to Martha Fish Williams, dau of Raymond Howard & Gertrude (Fish) Williams
2. Caroline Crossett, b abt 1916 MA; m. 28 Nov 1936 in Manchester NH to Joseph A. Harris, son of Ernest & Jane (Burke) Crossett
3. *David Lloyd Crossett b 9 December 1917 Somerville MA
4. Mary Lowell Crossett b abt 1921 NH; m. 22 May 1942 in Manchester NH to Paul Herbert Wakeman, son of Clyde C. & Beatrice (Fraser) Wakeman
5. Stillborn Crossett, d. 9 Aug 1923
6. Paul Crossett b abt 1923 NH
7. Carlton W. Crossett, b 1 Dec 1924 NH; military enlistment 11 Feb 1943, 3 yrs of HS, opticians, lens grinder and polishers, single; d. 21 May 1945 on Okinawa, killed in action, purple heart.
8. Janet Crossett, b abt 1926 NH
9. Robert Crossett, b abt 1927 NH
10. Edith Crossett, b abt 1929 NH