I am starting to think that someone collected photographs of people who died from tuberculosis in the Claremont NH area. Among a group that I purchased recently, at an online auction is one of Adaline A. (Johnson) Stowell. She was eighteen when she married, and only twenty-eight years old when she died. She left a grieving husband, and three young children. She was born in 1842, the daughter of Reuben & Betsey (Fletcher) Johnson, in the quaint town of Claremont, New Hampshire.
She had probably led a small town life, and what little education she acquired was in the small school houses of the town. She married a local farmer in 1859 and began to have children. It was just before the Civil War years. She gave birth to three children before, like many others of the time, she contracted tuberculosis, and perished. Her life was probably difficult, and possibly she already had “consumption,” for she looks older than her 29 years.
Her genealogy shown below was a bit tricky to research. One problem was Obadiah Johnson, as there were several in New Hampshire, and some living very close to each other. I believe I have the correct family tree, but if you can prove otherwise, please contact me.
=Genealogy of Adaline A. (Johnson) Stowell of Claremont, New Hampshire=
Edmund Johnson, b –, d. 10 March 1651 Hampton NH. He was a carpenter. He m. Mary —. He removed from Wales to Winnicumet [Hampton, N. Hampton, Kensington, Hampton Falls and part of Rye and Seabrook NH] in New England the American Colonies in 1635. I 1639 “To Edmund Johnson 10 acres for a home lot, six acres of fresh meadow there of three acres or thereabouts lying near brother Jones runneth between into the upland, and the rest he is to have near ye widow Bristow’s lot, and the rest in the east field if it be there to be had. Also fifteen acres of planting ground, part of it adjoining his house lot, and the rest in the east field.” Edmund was at this time granted three shares in the ox common, three shares in the cow common, and at a subsequent time three shares in the town common and meeting-house green. This home lot remained in the Johnson family for 250 years and was owned by Joseph and Nathaniel Johnson descendants. When Edmund died his widow m. Thomas Coleman.
Children of Edmund & Mary (?) Johnson:
1. +Peter Johnson, b. 1639
2. John Johnson, b. 1641
3. James Johnson, b 1643; m. 1675 Sarah Daniel
4. Dorcas Johnson, b. 1645
Peter Johnson, son of Edmund & Mary (?) Johnson was b abt 1639 and baptized in infancy by Father Bachelder, as she was called early in 1639 and he became a member of his church. Peter’s marriage to Ruth Moulton of Hampton was recorded “2nd month 7th day 1660” and from this date down to the present time a large proportion of the Johnsons have adhered to the Quaker faith. Peter was drown in Hampton river 16 Nov 1674.
Children of Peter & Ruth (Moulton) Johnson:
1. Mary Johnson, b. 7 Feb 1663
2. Ruth Johnson, b 13 May 1666
3. +Edmund Johnson, b. 8 May 1671
4. Peter Johnson Jr., b 25 Sep 1674; m. 1712 Esther Hobbs
Edmund Johnson, son of Peter & Ruth (Moulton) Johnson, b. 6 May 1671, d 11 Nov 1737; m. 1693 to Abigail Green. He settled in the north part of Hampton on Little river and lived there until 1701.
Children of Edmund & Abigail (Green) Johnson:
1. Abigail Johnson, b. 25 Sep 1693
2. Ruth Johnson, b. 24 Feb 1695; m. 1715 John Gove of Hampton Falls NH
3. Esther Johnson, b. 22 Feb 1697
4. Dorcas Johnson, b. 5 May 1699
5. Peter Johnson, b. 7 Sep 1701; d. 1707
6. +Obadiah Johnson, b. 3 Oct 1705
7. Mary Johnson, b. 3 Nov 1707; m. 1737 Israel Hodgdo of Kensington NH
8. Patience Johnson, b. 23 Sep 1709
Obadiah Johnson, son of Edmund & Abigail (Green) Johnson, b. 3 Oct 1705 , d –; he m. 1729-30 to Judith Brown of Newbury MA. She b. — d —
Children of Obadiah & Judith (Brown) Johnson:
1. +Edmund Johnson, b. 10 Dec 1730
2. Abigail Johnson
3. Obadiah Johnson
4. Patience Johnson
5. Enoch Johnson, b. 1 Sep 1748 Kensinton NH; m. Lydia Huntington. Removed to E. Weare about 772. Children: Enoch Jr., John, Daniel, Eliphalet, Lydia, Stephen and Amos.
Edmund Johnson, son of Obadiah & Judith (Brown) Johnson, was b. 10 Dec 1730 and d 8 June 1811. He m. 1755 to Hannah Collins, of South Hampton NH, dau of Tristram & Judith (?) Collins. She b. — and d. 18 June 1818. He settled at East Weare before 1766 when he bought is farm, known later as the Old Johnson homestead in East Weare Village, and owned by a descendant Albert B. Johnson.
Children of Edmund & Hannah (Collins) Johnson:
1. Rhoda Johnson, b. Kensington NH, d. young
2. Patience Johnson, b. 8 Oct 1758; m. Jabez Fitch
3. Robert Johnson, b. 27 Feb 1760, d. 16 Sep 1843; m. 1788 Abigail Peaslee
4. Tristram Johnson, b. 7 July 1763
5. Edmund Johnson Jr., b. 14 July 1766, m1) 1791 Abigail P. Breed; m2) 1804 Huldah Green. Removed to Unity NH
6. Judith Johnson, b. 21 Feb 1769; m1) Jonathan Gould; m2) Amos Stoning
7. +Obadiah Johnson, b. 22 May 1772; m. Sally Favor. He moved to Unity NH
8. Rhoda Johnson, b. 3 May 1778 at Weare NH; m. Daniel Gould Jr.
Obadiah Johnson, son of Edmund & Hannah (Collins) Johnson, b. 22 March 1772 in Kensington, Rockingham Co. NH. He m. 9 Feb 1797 in Weare NH to Sarah “Sally” Favor. She b abt 1777 Hampton Falls NH & d. —. Lived Newbury NH and Unity NH. ?He m2) 6 June 1836 in Newbury NH to Betsey George
Children of Obadiah & Sarah “Sally” (Favor) Johnson:
1. Bettsey Johnson b 31 January 1798 Newbury NH
2. John Johnson, b. 9 Nov 1799 Newbury NH; lived at North Newport NH, buried Newport NH.
3. Hannah Johnson b 6 Nov 1801 Newbury NH
4. David Johnson, b. 15 Jan 1802 Newbury NH
5. Charlotte Johnson b 5 Apr 1803 Newbury NH
6. +Reuben Johnson, b. 6 March 1805 in Newbury NH
7. Edmund Johnson b 1 March 1809 Newbury NH
8. Richard Johnson, b. 6 March 1813 Newbury NH; d. 16 March 1864 Newbury NH, married Betsey Cunningham. shoemaker
9. Amos Johnson, b 22 Aug 1816 Newbury NH
10. Sarah Johnson, b. 5 Feb 1821 Newbury NH
Reubin/Reuben Johnson, son of Obadiah Johnson; b 6 March 1805 in Newbury NH; died 13 May 1875; he m1) 11 Sep 1831 in Newport NH to Betsey Fletcher, dau of David & Mary (Wakefield) Fletcher. She b. 18 July 1814 d 9 January 1838. He m2d) 16 April 1839 in Claremont NH to Harriet Adams, daughter of Matthew & Hannah (Cheney) Adams. She b. 5 March 1817 in Newbury NH, d Claremont NH. He m3d) Nancy (Wheeler) Gould. He removed to Newport NH in 1830, according to the Newport town history.
–SEE Fletcher family history: the descendants of Robert Fletcher of Concord, Mass, by Edward H. Fletcher, page 485
— SEE Wakefield memorial–comprising an historical, genealogical and biographical register of the name and family of Wakefield, by Homer Wakefield, page 162
— SEE The history of Newport, New Hampshire from 1766 to 1878, by Edmund Wheeler, page 442-443
1850 US Census > NH > Sullivan > Claremont
Reubin Johnson 40 M Farmer 2000 VT [b abt 1810 VT]
Harriet Johnson 29 F NH [b abt 1821 NH]
Edmond Johnson 18 M NH [b abt 1832 NH]
David Johnson 14 M NH [b abt 1836 NH]
Charlotte Johnson 11 F NH [b abt 1839 NH]
Adeline Johnson 9 F NH [b abt 1841 NH]
Reubin Johnson 7 M NH [b abt 1843 NH]
Mary A. Johnson 4 F NH [b abt 1846 NH]
John Johnson 3 M NH [b abt 1847 NH]
Dustin Johnson 1 M NH [b abt 1849 NH]
Sarah Johnson 6/12 F NH [b abt 1850 NH]
Children of Reubin & Betsey (Fletcher) Johnson:
1. Edmund “Edwin” Johnson, b. 24 Nov 1831 NH; m. 14 July 1864 to Celia F. Magown/McGown. Children: Ida, Hemon
2. Charlotte Johnson, b. 1833, d. 9 Sep 1836. Tombstone in Claremont cemetery: “Charlotte Johnso, dau of above [Reuben and Betsey], 9 Sep 1836, 3y 2m”
3. David Johnson, b. 27 August 1835 NH; m. 24 Oct 1861 Anna Magown/McGown. Children, Mabel A., Ada A. b. 17 Oct 1864; Ella E. b 11 June 1869
4. Reuben Johnson, b Oct/Nov 1837; d. April 1838 Claremont NH. Buried in Claremont cemetery. “Reuben Johnson, son of Reuben and Betsey. April 3, 1838, 5m. 5d.”
Children of Reubin & Harriet (Adams) Johnson:
5. Charlotte Johnson, b. abt 1839 NH; m. 16 May 1862 in Claremont NH to Chancey/Chauncy I. Marshall, son of Jonathan & Charlotte B. (Johnson) Marshall. Child: Edgar
6. +Adeline/Adaline Johnson, b. 1842 NH
7. Reubin Johnson, b. abt 1843 NH; m2d) 22 March 1912 in Claremont NH to Mary A. Wheeler-Hart, dau of Abijah & Hannah (Emerson) Wheeler. He m1) Mary Whittemore. Children: Reuben, Saul
8. Mary A. Johnson, b. abt 1846 NH; m. Webster Reed: Child: Freddie
9. John Johnson, b 16 Oct 1847 NH; m. Josephine Perry. Children: Elmer J., Amos J., Hosea
10. Dustin Johnson b abt 1849 NH
11. Sarah Johnson, b. abt 1850 NH
12. Nelson S. Johnson b 16 Oct 1853 Claremont NH,; m1) 31 May 1881 in Lebanon NH to Minnie M. Bessey-Hoffman, dau of Henry Hoffman, and widow of — Bessey. They divorced; He m2) 6 May 1889 in Lebanon NH to Elisabeth E. Peterson, dau of Turner M. & Harriet E. (Williams) Peterson. She b abt 1865 in Plainfield NH.
13. Harriet A.M. Johnson, prob died young
14. Frederick “Fred” Johnson, b abt 1858 Claremont NH; m. Jennie L. Dunham
Adaline A. Johnson, [this story is about her, see photograph at top], daughter of Reuben & Betsey (Fletcher) Johnson, b. abt 1842 Claremont NH; d. 6 January 1870 in Claremont NH of tuberculosis. She m. 23 Nov 1859 in Claremont NH to William N. Stowell, son of Jesse Wheat Stowell. He was b. 19 July 1836 in Claremont NH and d. 7 March 1910 in North Newport NH, aged 73. He m2d) at Newport NH 11 Oct 1870 Mrs. Martha J. Haven, dau of Nancy J. Johnson. She was b. 24 Sep 1834, Newport NH, and d. 12 Nov 1890 Newport NH. They are buried in Pleasant Street Cemetery, Claremont NH. In 1863 he signed the draft record but he is shown as being from Vermont, and single. He
— Some info from The Stowell Genealogy, a record of the Descendants of Samuel Stowell of Hingham MA; page 748-749
Children of William N. & Adaline A. (Johnson) Stowell:
1. Sarah J. Stowell, b. 3 Sep 1861, d. 29 Jan 1862 in Claremont NH
2. Arthur N. Stowell, b. 7 June 1863 Claremont NH; m. 11 Sep 1889 at Claremont NH to Stella A. Judd, dau of John and Alice (Burpee) Judd. She was b. 22 July 1863 in Claremont NH. They had 2 children, Bertha May and Carl Arthur
3. Alton Jesse Stowell, b. 18 Dec 1867 in Claremont NH
Child of William N. & Martha J. (Johnson) Stowell:
4. Grace May Stowell, b. 27 Feb 1874 at Claremont NH, and d. 27 Jan 1899 in S. Natick MA. She m. 31 July 1895 in Newport NH to Clifton Walderman Merrill Blanchard, son of Franklin W. & Emeline W. (Broad) Blanchard. He was b. 31 March 1867 in Pembroke MA.
She sure looks much older than 29, or at least what 29 looks like today.
Amy,I did think of that too, but without a doubt this women is the one I describe. Lots of factors, having tuberculosis, a difficult life etc are probably factors.
Pingback: March 2016: Celebrating Women’s History Month in New Hampshire | Cow Hampshire