Ezra T. Rumery was born in Effingham, New Hampshire, and lived in Strafford County New Hampshire, locations that is to this day, are still very much rural. He was a carpenter, and his son (and namesake) apprenticed with him to learn the trade. Carpentry in the Civil War years could cover everything from house building to ship building.
Ezra’s ancestors were from Maine, and for at least a few generations, none of them lived too far from the sea. He died in May of 1865, a month after the end of the Civil War, of consumption.
—–Partial Genealogy of Ezra T. Rumery of Middleton and Strafford NH—–
[Editor’s note: one source states Edward Rumery was the son of Matthew & Elizabeth (Martin) Rumery, and another source that he was the son of Thomas Rummery / Rosmary of St. Helier, Jersey, Channel Island who immigrated to the American colonies.]
Edward Rumery, was b. 23 Dec 1686 in Biddeford, York Co. Maine, and d before 1762 in Biddeford Maine. In 1739 he voted against a raise for the preacher. In 1755 he was chosen surveyor of Highways in Biddeford Maine. He married abt 1724-1725 to Sarah Durrell, daughter of Moses & Sarah (Sampson) Durrell. She b. c1690 Scarborough, York Co. ME, baptized 15 Aug 1703 Gloucester Essex MA, died 28 June 1776 Saco/Biddeford Maine. Moses Durrell deeded land to his daughter Sarah Rumery 25 Oct 1736. She married 1st) Thomas Pennell who d. 31 March 1723. [Thomas Pennell and Sarah Durrell had 3 children: Rachel, Sarah and Thomas. Possibly also Clement].
Children of Edward & Sarah (Durrell) Rumery:
1. +Jonathan Rumery, b. 1 Feb 1731 Biddenford, Maine
2. Thomas Rumery, b. 27 Dec 1733; m. Charity Edgecomb
3. William Rumery, b. 13 Feb 1737; m. Rebecca Austin
4. Edward Rumery, b. 1740; m. Elizabeth —
5. Lydia Rumery
6. ?Moses Rumery
Jonathan Rumery, son of Edward & Sarah (Durrell) Rumery, was b. 1 February 1730 in Biddeford, York Co., Maine and d. c1809 in Biddeford Maine. He married 29 June 1754 in Biddeford Maine to Mary Duren. She was b abt 1735 in Biddeford Maine, and d. abt 1769.
Children of Jonathan & Mary (Duren) Rumery:
[they had several children including: Molly, Sarah, Mary, Charity, Elizabeth, Jonathan, Hannah, Moses, Aaron, David, and Anna.]
11. +William Rumery, b. 19 Dec 1769 Pepperell, York Co. Maine
William Rumery, son of Jonathan & Mary (Durrell) Rumery, was b. 19 Dec 1769 in Pepperell, York Co. Maine and d. 15 June 1846. He m. 16 April 1791 in Saco, York Co. ME to Margaret “Peggy” McGrath. She b. 22 March 1769/70 in Maine, and d. 8 April 1845. They are buried in Emerson Cemetery, Oxford Co., Maine
Children of William & Margaret (McGrath) Rumery:
1. John McGrath Rumery, b. abt 1792 NH; in 1860 living in Effingham, Carroll Co. NH with wife Sarah, and children Jerome, Melissa H., and Aldon.
2. William Rumery
3. Jonathan Rumery
4. Moses Rumery
5. Daniel C. Rumery
6. +Ezra T. Rumery, b. 15 Sep 1805
7. Jacob Rumery
8. Jerome B Rumery
9. Lucy S. Rumery, b. 20 May 1813 Maine, d. 17 July 1893; m Horatio Bickford. They had [BICKFORD]: Sarah, Charles E, Martha, Moses, Jerome R. Abagail.
10. Margaret Rumery
11. Abigail Rumery
Ezra T. Rumery (this story is about him, see photograph at top of page), son of William & Margaret “Peggy” (McGrath) Rumery, was b. 15 Sep 1805 in Effingham, Carroll Co. NH [or Maine] and d. 31 May 1865 in Strafford NH of consumption. His death records states his occupation as carpenter. He is buried in Blue Hills Cemetery, Strafford Co. NH. He m. 30 April 1829 in Dover, Strafford Co. NH to Charlotte G. Lougee. She b. abt 1805 NH and d. 21 Sep 1889.
1850 US Census > NH > Strafford Co > Middleton
Ezra S. Rumery 44 carpenter 800 Maine
Charlotte G. Rumery 45 NH
Ezra Rumery 17 carpenter NH
Charlotte S. Rumery 8 NH
Alice M. Leighton 10 NH
Judith Leighton 18 NH
Children of Ezra T. & Charlotte G. (Lougee) Rumery:
1 Sarah E. Rumery, b abt May 1830, d 3 Aug 1845, ae 15 yrs 3 months; buried with her parents.
2. Ezra Rumery, b 16 May 1833 in NH; d. 6 May 1908 in Detroit, Becker, Minnesota. widowed. He m. 22 Sep 1858 in Somersworth, Strafford Co. NH to Martha “Mattie” H. Roberts. She b. Aug 1832 in Maine. Children: Lizzie E., b abt 1871 MA, and Isabel B., b. abt 1878 Minnesota.
3. Charlotte Susan Rumery, b 23 June 1842 Strafford NH, d. 8 Dec 1898 Strafford, Strafford Co. NH; d 8 Dec 1899 in Farmington NH Married Stephen H. Foss, son of Robert Woodbury & Eliza W (Jones) Foss. He b. 27 May 1837 and d. 14 Sep 1914. Buried Blue Hills Cemetery, Strafford NH