Anna Betsey Taylor, the daughter of Joseph L. & Laura (Gove) Taylor was born 14 Nov 1851 in Sugar Hill New Hampshire.
She was educated in Whitefield NH where her parents lived. She attended Western Massachusetts Normal School, working for her board and she “graduated in a dress which she had worn nearly three years, rather than going into debt for a new one.” She then taught school for three years. Following the illness of someone close to her, she decided to devote her life to the relief of human suffering.
She studied medicine at Boston University, paying for same through nursing and hospital work. Even after being left partially deaf from diphtheria, she continued her studies and graduated with honors in 1884. She settled in medical practice in Charlestown MA, but moved to Somerville MA in 1890. She specialized in diseases of women.
She married 31 March 1894 in Somerville MA to Herbert Asa Cole. He b. 8 May 1849 in Somerville MA. She was a Universalist, and a member of many societies and organizations including Mass. Homeopathic Med. Soc., Boston Med. Soc., Boston Surgical and Gynecological Soc., Women’s College Club, Professional Women’s Club, and the N.H. Club of Somerville.
Biography of Dr. Anna B. Taylor Cole, from New Hampshire Women: A Collection of Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Daughters and Residents of the Granite State, Who are Worthy Representatives of their Sex in the Various Walks and Conditions of Life
**FAMILY TREE OF DR. ANNA B. (TAYLOR) COLE**
James Taylor, b. abt 1615 in England; died 22 Jan 1689/90 in Marlborough MA, and d. 11 Feb 1713. He married 1st) 19 Oct 1647 to Isabel Tompkins. She b. 1615 and d. 11 May 1675. He married 2nd) by 1671 to Sarah Newton, dau of Richard & Anne (Loker) Newton. She was b abt 1652 in Sudbury, Middlesex Co MA. He appears earliest in the Marlborough MA records, and he was a proprietor of the Indian plantation in 1693. The 3 children below marked with an asterisk (*) are the only children shown in the “History of Marlborough MA.” Possibly the William Taylor who also settled in Marlborough MA and who m1) Mary Johnson; m2) Sarah Larkin was his brother.
Children of James & Isabel (Tompkins) Taylor:
1. Henry Taylor, b. 21 Oct 1648 MA
2. Samuel Taylor, b. 21 June 1656 MA
3. Thomas, b. 12 July 1659 MA
Children of James & Sarah (Newton) Taylor:
4// Sarah Taylor, b. 19 Dec 1671 Marlborough MA
5// +James* Taylor, b. 22 Apr 1674 in Marlborough MA
6. Hannah* Taylor, b. 1 June 1679 in Marlborough MA; m. 4 Dec 1699 to Abiel Lamb
7. William Taylor, b. 7 June 1681 Marlborough MA
8. Samuel* Taylor, b. 10 Apr 1688 Marlborough MA; m. 1716 Hannah Greely
9. Ann Taylor, b. abt 1689 in Cambridkge, Middlesex Co. MA
James Taylor, son of James & Sarah (Newton) Taylor, b. 22 Apr 1672/74 in Marlboro, Middlesex Co. MA, d. 24 Feb 1742, age 70. He m. abt 1694 to Elizabeth –. He lived near “Wigwam Hill,” northwesterly from the floating bridge over Long Pond. She d. 14 July –; age 82.
Children of James & Elizabeth (?) Taylor:
1. Elizabeth Taylor, b. 16 Feb 1695/96 Marlborough, Middlesex Co MA; m. 6 Sep 1722
2. +Othniel Taylor, b. 19 Oct 1698 Marlborough MA
3. Sarah Taylor, b. 26 Aug 1700 in Marlborough MA; m. 10 Nov 1718 Benjamin Mills
4. Amity Taylor, b. 5 May 1704 in Marlborough MA
5. Hannah Taylor, b. 10 Apr 1706 in Marlborough MA
6. James Taylor, b. 1 Aug 1708 in Marlborough MA; d. 31 June 1730, age 22
7. Abraham Taylor, b. 24 March 1710 in Marlborough MA; d. 1738, age 29.
Othniel Taylor, son of James & Elizabeth Taylor, b. 19 Oct 1698 in Marlboro, Middlesex Co MA and d. 29 July 1779; he m1) 1 Sep 1725 in MA to Mary Newton, dau of Daniel & Susanna (Morse) Newton. She b. 1 Sep 1725 in MA and d. 18 Nov 1734 in Southboro MA. He married 2nd) 24 March 1735 in MA to Dinah Woods, dau of Isaac & Mary (Fairbanks) Woods. She b. 13 Oct 1708 in Marlboro, Middlesex Co MA, and d. 29 March 1746, age 38; m3rd? Hannah — who d. 3 Jan 1772, age 52.
Children of Othniel & Mary (Newton) Taylor:
1. James Taylor, b. 4 July 1730 in MA; d. Feb 20, –, age 26, “Who was in ye fight at Lake George, Sep. 8, 1755” (tombstone inscription)
2. Othniel Taylor, b. 3 Dec 1732 in MA;
Children of Othniel & Dinah (Woods) Taylor:
3. Mercy Taylor, b. 3 Apr 1737 in MA
4. +Abraham Taylor, b. 3 Jan 1737/38 in Southboro, Worcester Co MA
5. Isaac Taylor, b. 17 Nov 1745, d. 26 March 1746, buried to the “right side” of his mother.
Abraham Taylor, son of William Taylor, b. 3 Jan 1737/38 in Southboro, Worcester Co., MA; d. 12 Nov 1806 in Lisbon, Grafton Co. NH; he m. Rachel Howe, dau of James & Rachel (Mansfield) Howe. She b. 2 Jan 1744/45 in Worcester, Worcester Co MA.
Children of Abraham & Rachel (Howe) Taylor:
1. Ezra Taylor, b. between 1760-1787; m. Prudence Hubbard
2. +Timothy Taylor, b. 19 May 1765 in Worcester MA
3. John Taylor, b. 20 Feb 1774 in Worcester MA
Timothy Taylor, son of Abraham Taylor, b. 19 May 1765 in Worcester MA, d. 16 March 1862 in Lisbon, Grafton Co NH; m. Betsey Lovell, dau of Jonathon & Mary/Mercy (Raymond) Lovell. She b. 26 Sep 1772 in Worcester MA, and d. 10 Oct 1836. Possibly he is the Timothy Taylor found in Franconia NH in 1789.
Children of Timothy & Betsey (Lovell) Taylor:
1. Mary Taylor, b. 26 Nov 1790 in Lisbon, Grafton Co NH, d. 31 Jan 1879 in Manchester, Iowa; m. Benjamin Cooley; had 10 ch; resided Lisbon NH
2. Azubah Taylor, b. 26 Aug 1792 in Lisbon, Grafton Co NH; m. Benjamin Kenniston
3. Sally Taylor, b. 9 Oct 1794; m. Benjamin Moody; res. Landaff NH; had issue
4. Lovell Taylor, b. 31 Dec 1796 and d. 20 August 1798.
5. Betsey Taylor, b. 12 July 1798 in Lisbon, Grafton Co NH; m. Brigham Hildreth; had 7 ch
6. Mercy Lovell Taylor, b. 6 June 1801; m. Benjamin Bowles
7. Timothy Taylor, b. 18 Apr 1803 in Lisbon NH; m. Hannah –.
8. John Taylor, b. 4 Oct 1805 in Lisbon NH; m. Caroline –.
9. +Joseph Lovell Taylor, b. 27 Dec 1807 in Lisbon NH
10. Harriet Taylor, b. 3 Apr 1810 in Lisbon NH; m. George W. Cogswell
11. Olive Taylor, b. 7 Oct 1812; m. Hiram Noyes
12. Mehitable Taylor, b. 12 January 1815, d. 13 Oct 1818
Joseph Lovell Taylor, son of Timothy & Betsey (Lovell) Taylor, b. 27 Dec 1807 in Lisbon, Grafton Co NH and d. 9 Nov 1891 in Whitefield NH; He m. 30 Oct 1832 in Whitefield NH to Laura Gove, dau of John Mills & Anna (Montgomery) Gove. She was b. 25 July 1813 in Whitefield NH and d. 16 Dec 1886 in Whitefield, Coos Co. NH.
U.S. Census > 1850 United States Federal Census > New Hampshire > Grafton > Lisbon
Joseph L. Taylor 43 M Farmer 1,700 NH
Laura Taylor 37 F NH
Angeline M. Taylor 16 F NH
Brigham H. Taylor 15 M NH
Charles G. Taylor 13 M NH
Mariett C. Taylor 11 F NH
Timothy M. Taylor 7 M NH
Laura A. Taylor 5 F NH
Ira G. Taylor 3 M NH
Joseph L. Taylor Jr. 1 M NH
Children of Joseph L. & Anna (Montgomery) Taylor:
1. Angeline Malone Taylor, b. 8 Sep 1833 in Lisbon NH; d. 4 Apr 1910 in Janesville Wisconsin; m. 16 Oct 1851 in Whitefield NH to Asa D. Sanborn.
2. Brigham H. Taylor, b. 16 Feb 1835 in Lisbon NH; d. 5 Dec 1854 in Oshkosh Wisconsin
3. Charles Gove Taylor, b. 2 Dec 1836 in Lisbon NH; d. 5 Dec 1905 in Concord NH;
4. Marietta Cram Taylor. b. 4 Jan 1839 in Lisbon NH; d. Salem MA
5. Timothy Mills Taylor, b. 18 Nov 1840 in Lisbon NH; d. 28 June 1897 in NYC, NY; m. Addie Kimball
6. Betsey Ann Taylor, b. 21 Oct 1842 in Lisbon NH
7. Laura Augusta Taylor, b. 22 Aug 1844 in Lisbon NH; d. 28 Aug 1912 in Somerville MA; m. 1 May 1867 to Joseph L. Lougee
8. Ira Gove Taylor, b. 22 Nov 1846 in Lisbon NH; d. 28 Jan 1921 in Salem M; m. Sadie E. Richards
9. Joseph Lovell Taylor b 26 Dec 1848 in Lisbon NH; d. 15 Apr 1915 in Dubuque Iowa; m. Carrie McArthur
10. +Anna Betsey Taylor, b. 14 Nov 1851 in Sugar Hill NH
11. John Towns Taylor, b. 6 Dec 1854 in Whitefield NH; m. 1 Jan 1885 in Whitefield NH to Abbie Couen.
12. Burns Gove Taylor, b. 8 Jan 1860 in Whitefield NH; d. in Whitefield NH; m. 7 Feb 1885 in Whitefield NH to Addie Parker.
Anna Betsey Taylor, daughter of Joseph Lovell & Laura (Gove) Taylor was born 14 Nov 1851 in Sugar Hill [Lisbon] NH, and died 10 May 1931 in Somerville MA. SEE BIOGRAPHY ABOVE. She married 31 March 1894 in Somerville MA to Herbert Asa Cole, son of Erastus & Harriet (Whitcomb) Taylor, as his 2nd marriage (he was a widower). He b. 8 May 1849 in Somerville MA and d. 2 January 1932 in Somerville MA [They are shown in the directory in 1927 and in the 1930 census]. He had married 1st) Mattie A. Wilson, daughter of Seth W. & Martha A. (?) Wilson. She was b. abt 1853 and d. Feb 17, 1886 at Somerville MA, age 33 yrs, 9 months, of peritonitis. She was b. in Bellows Falls VT. The 1890 city directory of Somerville shows Herbert’s occupation as a bridge builder. His marriage record states he was a clerk. The 1927 Somerville Directory shows Cole, Herbert A. (Anna B.) h 34 Pearl Street. Herbert and Anna do not appear to have had any children.
1900 United States Federal Census > Massachusetts > Middlesex > Somerville Ward 1 > District 924
Taylor, Anna B. wife W F Nov 1851 48 married 6 yrs NH NH NH
Taylor [sic, should read Cole], Herbert H. Head W M May 1851 49 married 6 yrs Mass Mass VT
Riley, Hannah, servant W F Apr 1871 29 single IRE IRE IRE
Cole, Herbert A. stepson W M 22 Sept 1885 14 single Penn Mass Mass [b Philadelphia PA] In 1942 residing in Hingham, Plymouth Co MA; wife, Mildred B.
Boston Herald, 11 May 1931, Boston MA, page 9, Obituaries — In Somerville, May 10, at her home, 34 Pearl st., Dr. Anna B. Taylor Cole, wife of Herbert A. Cole. Services private.
Boston Herald (Boston MA), 3 January 1932, page 27, Obituaries–In Somerville. Jan 2. Herbert A., husband of the late Dr. Anna B. Taylor Cole. Services at residence, 34 Pearl st, Somerville. Tuesday at 2 o’clock. Relatives and friends invited.
Children of Herbert A. & Mattie A. (Wilson) Cole:
1. Herbert Asa Cole, b. 22 September 1885 in Philadelphia PA [birth also registered in Somerville MA] . He married 20 Jun 1914 at Cohasset MA to Mildred Hersey Burr, daughter of Frederick W. & Catherine B. (Donahue) Burr.
[updated July 2014]