New Hampshire WWI Military: Heroes of Portsmouth

Christening of Submarine 01 at Portsmouth NH
Navy Yard. She was launched 9 July 1918.
Photograph from Life Buoy magazine.

The Portsmouth Navy Yard was an important center of ship building during World War I, with the principal focus being the construction of submarines and small boats and repairing of warships.  The book, New Hampshire : a guide to the Granite state written by Workers … Federal Writers’ Project, states: ” When the World War broke out, the Navy Department became interested in submarine construction, formerly monopolized by two private companies, and elected to construct the first one in Portsmouth.”

That first submarine’s [Submarine 01] keel was laid on November 2, 1914, and when completed by May 25, 1918, was the forerunner in a long line of Portsmouth-built submarines.  She was launched on 9 July 1918 (see photograph above).  The source book, Industrial Department, Life Buoy, is a collection of magazines published between December 1917 through January 1920. Those periodicals were written to benefit the employees of the Portsmouth shipyard, and today they provide us with an interesting perspective on life behind the scenes during World War I. This background information shows how the citizens of Portsmouth New Hampshire played important roles during World War I, whether on the home front or abroad.

Portsmouth NH Honor Roll
to WWI. Originally located
at Haymarket Square, these four
bronze plaques now sit atop a
marble pedestal in Goodwin Park.
Photo courtesy of Richard S. Marsh.  Used with his permission.

Portsmouth New Hampshire sent its full complement of more than 500 (both men and women) to military service.  There are two separate memorial sites to commemorate these brave heroes.

First, a four-sided Honor Roll monument with engraved names of all known Portsmouth NH WWI participants (both those who died and those who survived).  These four bronze plaques atop a marble base was originally placed in Haymarket Square. It was removed for a traffic change and urban renewal project, then re-installed in 1972 in Goodwin Park on Islington Street. The June 17, 1938 edition of the Portsmouth NH Herald published the names on this honor plaque [SEE PDF of this page with listing of names]

Second, a Memorial Honor Roll was dedicated to those who died during WWI that includes a large bronze plaque affixed to a granite boulder, and several individually engraved bronze markers.  These were  first installed in 1919 along with the planting of trees “at the Plains.” In 2009 they were relocated to the Calvary Cemetery (intersection of Peverly Hill Road and Route 33) in Portsmouth NH in order to complete the Route 33 reconstruction project. Finally after much debate in 2010 they were returned again to Plains Park (at the intersection of Islington and Middle Streets). On Memorial Day 2010 they were dedicated again. In 2011 Jennnifer Shoer, blogger at “The Scrappy Genealogist,” took some wonderful photographs and documented the condition of the monuments.  It is this Memorial Honor Roll that I focus on in this article.

Current View of the WWI Memorial Honor
Roll at Plains Field, Portsmouth NH.

History of the Memorial Honor Roll
According to the Portsmouth Herald: “On August 10, 1919 a Memorial Service at the Plains was held and the tablet to those who made the Supreme Sacrifice during the World War was unveiled. This was a bronze marker on a granite boulder and contained the names of all the men and women who have died in service from this city. Miss Doris Pearson, a niece of Carl Pearson, the only Plains boy who gave his life in the war, unveiled the marker. The trees at the Plains are living memorials to the men who gave their lives for their country and at the same time these trees were dedicated they were marked with small nickle bronze markers with the full name of the dead hero, his or her rank, and date of death.  According to the Portsmouth Herald newspaper of 28 May 1941 in an article about the re-dedication of these memorials, “Among the 25 men whom Portsmouth had lost in World War I were soldiers, sailors and marines, army doctors, men who were privates and men who were captains and even a boy who fought with the Canadian army. The one woman, Miss Evelyn Petrie, was a war nurse.”

Hon. John H. Bartlett, then Governor of NH took part in the first dedication of this monument on the Portsmouth Plains on 10 August 1919. The following is an excerpt from The Soldiers’ Memorial book, 1893-1921 Storer Post: ” A part of these boys actually sleep under the sacred soil of France, some in other places, but in our hallowed memory of them, in a vague by inspiring way we shall feel, as we pass this spot, that it belongs to them, and that here is the immortal shrine bearing their stars of gold and their names of love, and that here their spirits lie or dwell, here their valor shines, and here their influence shall radiate forever, as an inspiration to the future lads who follow with the same old flag. We have a trust, we who live and follow on in the procession of the living, to keep these historic ‘Plains’ neat, clean and attractive, as becomes the place where our boys are to be remembered. God bless these fallen boys, may we never forget them…” The Memorial Honor Roll plaque is engraved as follows:

(City Seal)
Incorp. 1849


[Editor’s note: after this monument was dedicated other names came to light and they are included in my list and biography below. I have used multiple references to compile what you find here. If you have a relative that you think belongs in this story, please let me know by leaving a comment.]

Heroes of PORTSMOUTH NH During WWI

[A] WWI Roll of Honor, Doric Hall, NH State House, Concord NH
[B] NH Adjutant General’s List of Killed in Action from New Hampshire
[C] Name inscribed on WWI monument, Portsmouth NH, Goodwin Park
[D] Name inscribed on WWI Plains Memorial Marker and/or Tablet(s) in Plains Field, Portsmouth NH [Note: the names of Currier and Daley were added as tree tablets only; Fingleton is not on the tablets but noted in the Grand Army of the Republic publication].
[E] WWI Draft Registration
[F] U.S. Army Transport Records, WWI
[G] Death, Burial certificates, marriages records and/or Headstone Application
[H] Other Military Records (USMC, Navy, Air Force)
[I] Newspaper articles regarding service and/or death
[J] American Battle Monuments Commission
[K] Gold Star Mothers of New Hampshire /or/ Massachusetts
[L] United States Passport documents
[M] Canadian Military Documents (online)
[O] Other Sources, i.e. books, periodicals
* Photograph or likeness provided or available
[#] refers to a biography following the list with additional information on a particular soldier.


Likeness of Frank Booma, from the Boston
Globe newspaper of 2 September 1917.

Floyd Barker |Sergt. |Killed in Action, 14 September 1918 St. Mihiel, France | USMC,  66th Co., 4th Regiment | St. Mihiel American Cemetery | Credited to New York |[C][D][H][I][J][1]
Frank E. Booma* | Lieutenant |Killed in Action 11 July 1918 France, airplane bomb | Battery A, 151st Infantry, U.S. Army | Harmony Grove Cemetery, Portsmouth NH | SEE Story |[A][B][C][D][I][See Story and Photographs][2]
Chester A. Bock |Private |Died of Disease (lobar pneumonia-influenza) 30 Sep 1918 Camp Upton NY | 12th Co., 152nd Infantry, formerly in USMC | Harmony Grove Cemetery, Portsmouth NH|[A][C][D][E][G][3]
John J. Conners | Private| Killed in Action 29 October 1918, Bois Belleau, NE of Verdun France. | Machine Gun Co., 101st Reg. 26th Div. A.E.F.| Calvary Cemetery, Portsmouth NH | [A][B][C][D][E][G][I][K][4]
Harold N. Currier |Fireman |Died of Injuries, Royal Naval Hospital, Bighi, Malta |U.S. Merchant Marines, ship “Western Cross” |Burial Location Unknown |[D][E][I][O][5]
Frank W. Daley |Sapper/Pioneer |Died of Disease (broncho-pneumonia) 20 Dec 1918 at C.S.S. No. 12, Busigny, France  | D Co., 2nd Battalion, Canadian Railway Troops | Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension, France, Plot:VIII. A. 83 |[D (tree marker)][I][M][6]
Paul C. Dennett | Lieut. | Died of Disease (Influenza) 18 Oct 1918 at Base Hospital No. 65 near Brest, France |Surgeon, 75th Coast Artillery Company, AEF | Sagamore Cemetery, Portsmouth NH |[A][C][D][E][G][I][O][7]
George R. Durard/Gerard/Durand |Private|Died of Wounds June 13, 1918 France | 23rd Co., 6th Machine Gun Battalion |Burial Place Unknown, remains returned to U.S. on ship, Wheaton arriving Hoboken NJ 2 Jul 1921 |[A, B called ‘Gerard’][A,B Gerard][D][E][F][H][I][8]
Harold L. Dutton | Corporal |Killed in Action 23 Oct 1918 France |Co. D, 325th Infantry|Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery / Cenotaph in Proprietor’s Cemetery, Portsmouth NH |[A][B][C][D][E][J][K][9]
Everingham, Carl D. |Ensign PC (on Inactive List at time of death) |Died of Disease (Broncho-pneumonia from influenza) 1 Feb 1920, Haverhill Contagious Hospital, Haverhill MA| USN Reserves | Proprietor’s North Cemetery, Portsmouth NH|[G][H][I][10]
Louis James Fingleton | Lieut. Jr. Grade | Last Contact 4 March 1918; Considered Dead 14 June 1918 |USS Cyclops, United States Navy | Body Lost at Sea |[A][B][D][H][I][O][11]
Amedeo Fiori | Private |Killed in Action 1 Oct 1918(?) France |Co. I, 3rd Bat., 303rd Infantry, 76th Division|Burial Place Unknown | |[A][B][C][D][E][F][I][12]
Frank H.N.Grant | Lieut. |Died of Disease (pneumonia-influenza) 14 October 1918 Fort Apache, Arizona |U.S. Army, Quartermasters Office, Fort Apache |Prairie Home Cemetery, Richland, Kalamazoo Co., Michigan |[A][C][D][G][I][13]
Fay Eugene Hatt* |Private |Killed in Action 1 November 1918 France | |Co K 309th Inf |Sagamore Cemetery, Portsmouth |SEE Photograph|[A][B][C][D][E][F][G][I][14]
Hugh Conway Hill* | Corporal |Killed in Action 12 Sep 1918 St. Mihiel France | Co K., 359th Inf. A.E.F. |Buried St. Mihiel American Cemetery, France // Cenotaph Hope Cemetery, Kennebunk ME | Co. K, 359th Inf. Reg., 90th Division A.E.F |[See Photograph][A][B][C][D][E][G][I][15]
Arthur R. Lemke | Sergt. | Killed in Action, Oct 2 1918 struck by high explosive shell | Varying assignments: Co. D, 27th Div. /or/ 58th Inf. Regt., 4th Division| Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery, France | NH Adj. Gen. credits him to Portsmouth NH | SEE Biography on Rochester NH WWI Story |[B][I][J][16]
Michael Lynch |Seaman | Died of Disease (alcoholism, see notes) 25 January 1919 in Naval Hospital, Brooklyn NY |U.S.S. Oklahoma |Portsmouth NH|[A][C][D][G][17]
Edward J. Mack |1st Lieut.| Died of Disease (nephritis) 19 Feb 1919 Polytechnic Hospital, New York  | U.S. Army, Ordnance Department |Calvary Cemetery, Portsmouth NH |[C][D][F][G][I][18]
Arthur T. Patch* | Seaman/Fireman | Died of Disease (Spinal Fever/Meningitis) 29 Dec 1917 at Naval Hospital, Newport RI |U.S. Navy, U.S.S. Baltimore | First Baptist Cemetery, Kittery Pt., Maine | [A][C][D][E][G][I][19]
Carl A. Pearson |Private, Military Police| Died of Disease (lobar pneumonia-influenza) on 22 Sep 1918 at Camp Devens, Harvard MA |12th Division, Co. A. | Harmony Grove Cemetery, Portsmouth|[D][E][G][I][20]
Evelyn V. Petrie* |U.S. Army, Nurse |Died of Accident, 26 May 1918, Fort Oglethorpe, GA |Nurse’s Corps, Base Hospital No. 44| Harmony Grove Cemetery, Portsmouth NH |[A][C][D][I][21]
Sidney/Sydney R. Pickles* | Private |Killed in Action 8 Oct 1918 Argonne Forest, France |U.S. Army, 18th Infantry 1st Div. |  South Street Cemetery, Portsmouth NH |[A][B][C][D][E][F][I][22]
Theodore Schmidt* | Lieut. |Died of Wounds 7 Sep 1918 France| Co M, 39th Infantry, 4th Div., U.S. Army | Buried Saint Mary’s Cemetery, Portsmouth NH|[A][B][C][D][F][H][I][23]
Francis A. Scott* | Captain |Died of Wounds 11 Sep 1918 France |307th Infantry, 77th Division |Calvary Cemetery, Winchester MA|[A][C][D][F][H][I][K][24]
Christopher Smart, Jr.* | Coxswain |Died of Disease (influenza) 19 Sep 1918 at U.S. Naval Hospital, Chelsea MA |U.S.Naval Reserves |Proprietors Cemetery, Portsmouth NH |[A][C][D][E][G][H][I][SEE Find-a-grave site for his photograph][25]
John Tanco | Sergt|Died of Disease (pneumonia-influenza) 2 October 1918 Hoboken NJ |Battery B, 73rd Artillery, CAC|Harmony Grove Cemetery, Portsmouth NH |Credited to Ohio|[C][D][F][G][H][I][26]
Stephen Henry Taylor |Private |Killed in Action 18 October 1918 France |  87th Bn., Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regiment)|Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France. |[C][D][G][M][27]
Frederick S. Towle* | Captain |Died of Accident (building fire) 10 Oct 1918 Colonia, NJ  |U.S. Medical Reserve Corps, U.S. Army  | South Street Cemetery, Portsmouth NH  |[A][C][D][G][I][28]
John P. White | 1st Lieutenant|Died of Disease, 12 March 1919 Camp Dix near Wrightstown, Burlington Co., NJ| U.S. Army |Harmony Grove Cemetery, Portsmouth NH |[A][C][D][G][H][I][29]
Randolph T. Zane* |Major|Died of Wounds on 24 Oct 1918 Havre, France  from an injury at Belleau Wood on 6 June 1918 |6th USMC Regiment, 2nd Infantry Div., US Marine Corps |Somme American Cemetery, France |[A][B][C][D][H][I][30]


USMC List of Casualties
includes Floyd Barker.

[1] Floyd Barker was born 24 October 1882 in Grafton, West Virginia, grandson of Abraham & Sevilla (McMannis) Barker. In 1900 the U.S. Census shows him living in Grafton WV with his widowed grandmother (called ‘Sarah’), aunts, uncle and one sibling, Willie. The New York Abstracts of World War I Military Service best shows his WWI military service: Army serial #4605908, Residence: Niagara Falls NY, Enlisted in the USM Corps at Portsmouth NH 23 March 1917; Place of birth: Grafton West Virginia 24 Oct 1882; Serv. prev. 12 years. USMC: Serv. Portsmouth NH 4-6-17; USS Kansas 7-14-17; Quantico Va 3-29-18; Co. “A” 5th Sep. Batt. France 8-27-18; 66th Co. 5th Regt. 9-11-18. GRADES: Cpl. 4-6-17; Sgt. 5-22-17; St. Mihiel Offensive; Served overseas from 8-27-18 to 9-14-18; KILLED IN ACTION Sept. 14, 1918, Char Exc [character excellent]; Remarks: Sarah Barker (wife) 74 Jefferson St., Portsmouth NH.” The newspapers credit him to New Hampshire, even though his grave site gives credit to New York.   His remains lie in St. Mihiel American Cemetery in Thiaucourt, France in Plot A, Row 29, Grave 15.  [Note: some records state he died 14 and others the 15 of September 1918.  He is not given State of New Hampshire recognition, but his name does appear on both the Portsmouth WWI Honor Roll (Goodwin Park) and the Memorial Honor Roll (Plains Field). [See snippet from USMC source].
[2] Frank E. Booma* was born 24 January 1893 in Portsmouth NH, son of Frank Everett & Martha W.S. (Field) Booma. He died on July 11, 1918 in the Champagne region of France, during World War 1. He was killed by a bomb dropped from a Boche aeroplane, as he led his men a second time into the trenches, after a period of rest behind the lines. He was 24 years old. His name appears on both the NH States honor roll in the State House, and on both of Portsmouth New Hampshire’s WWI Memorials. [SEE EXTENSIVE STORY AND PHOTOS HERE].
[3] Chester Arthur Bock
was born 15 January 1891 in Detroit, Michigan, son of son of Carol/Carl/Charles & Wilhemina/Emilie/Emelia (Keoppen) Bock. Chester A. Bock married 26 Jan 1918 in Portsmouth NH to Inez Lillian Parker, daughter of William & Elizabeth (Staples) Parker. She was b. in Eliot, Maine. His occupation was grocer. On 5 June 1917 Chester A. Bock completed his WWI Registration form and was 26 years old, single, a merchant employed at 40 Water Street. He noted he had previously service in the Marine Corps for 4 years. He was tall with medium stature, with blue eyes and dark hair. Chester A. Bock’s death records show that he died 30 September 1918 of of Influenza-Lobar pneumonia at Camp Upton, New York [at Yapank, Long Island, Suffolk County]. He was buried in Harmony Grove Cemetery, Portsmouth NH.  Two months after his death, his wife Inez gave birth to his son, named after him (Chester Arthur Bock) on 2 December 1918.  Two days later the child died of atelectasis lung and was buried near his father in Harmony Grove on 6 December 1918.   A widowed Inez (Parker) Bock married 2d) 3 January 1923 in Portsmouth NH (a widow) to Thomas Green, son of John F. & Martha (Stites) Green of Waynesville, Missouri.
[4] John Joseph Connors [Conners] was born 3 August 1894 in Portsmouth NH, son and 3rd child of Patrick & Julia (Sweeney) Connors. He had 3 siblings: Julia (Mrs. John S. O’Callaghan), William and James. In 1900 the United States census shows him living in Portsmouth, New Hampshire at 9 Clinton Street. In 1917 at time of completing his WWI registration form, John J. Connors was a general helper at the Portsmouth Navy Yard. He was of medium height and weight, with blue eyes and black hair. Private John J. Connors was killed in action on 29 October 1918, at Bois Belleau, NE of Verdun France.  He was at first buried in France, and when the war ended his body was returned to the United States where he was reburied on buried on 12 October 1921 in Calvary Cemetery, Portsmouth NH.  His military headstone application (that was ordered by his sister Julia) shows the following information: “Connors John J. | enlisted August 1917 | Service No: 62934 | NH, Private | 101 inf Machine Gun Co. Y.D. | Born 8-3-1894 |Died 10-29-1918 | Calvary Cemetery | ordered by Mrs. Julia M.O. Calleghan, 791 E. 39th Street, Brooklyn NY.”   In 1920 his mother, Mrs. Patrick Connors was presented a certificate by the French Government at a ceremony in Portsmouth. She was also a noted Gold Star Mother of the city.

Currier Obituary from the
newspaper of 9 Jan 1919.

[5] Harold Norman Currier was born 17 December 1894 in Merrimac, Essex Co., MA, son of Otis Samuel & Annie M. (Hanley) Currier. In 1900 he was living in Merrimac MA with parents and siblings, Esther E., Lawrence C., Fredrick S. and his maternal grandmother, Margaret Hanley. [Later he would have 2 more siblings, John E, and Loretta H.] Harold N. Currier completed his WWI Registration form at Boston MA, then living in Hyde Park MA, working in South Boston as a machinist. He was single, tall, of medium stature with dark eyes and black hair.  His obituary was published 9 January 1919 in the Portsmouth Herald, on page 8: “FORMER ELECTRICAL RAILWAY EMPLOYEE DIES IN NAVAL SERVICE. Official notice has been received by Mrs. George Lane that her nephew Harold N. Currier, died Dec. 4, 1918 at the Royal Naval Hospital, Bighi, Malta. He was injured fatally while on board the U.S.S. Western Cross, and was unconscious until death. He was born Dec 17, 1894 in Merrimac, Mass, and has of late years made Portsmouth his home. He was a well known young man in this city and was employed by the Portsmouth Electric Railway, later leaving to accept a position with the Wheelright Machine Co. of South Boston. The young man enlisted Jan. 7, 1918 in the Merchant Marine and was assigned to the S.S. McKinley, making several trips to France and return. Later he was transferred to the Western Cross, bound for Itary, off of which coast he received his fatal injury. His loss is mourned by his father, three brothers, Lawrence, Fred and Edward, and a sister Lauretta, and hosts of local friends will learn with regret of his death.”  The book: The United States Merchant Marine in World War I: Ships, Crews, Shipbuilders, by Greg H. Williams, page 248 shows the following (excerpt here): “Western Star–5,778 tons, steel, 11.5 know coal-burning freighter….Allocated to the United States and Australasia Steamship Co. as manager for service to the East Indies by Barber. On December 4, 1918, fireman Harold N. Currier got in a fight ashore at Malta and died of injuries.”  The burial site of Harold N. Currier is unknown.  [See story here of the Royal Naval Hospital Cemetery.]
[6] Frank William Daley was born on 6 July 1897 at North Hampton, New Hampshire, son of Michael W. & Margaret J. (McCool) Daley.  His family lived in New Hampton, Portsmouth, Manchester and Berlin NH. In 1917 he joined the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Forces (having served since 1916).  His Canadian Attestation papers are online here.   Excerpts include — Frank Daley | Present Address: Portsmouth N.H. U.S.A. | Birth Place: North Hampton, N.H. U.S.A. [sic] | NOK: Miss Maud Keeping, 324 Elm Street, Westmount PQ Canada, Friend | Date of Birth: July 6th, 1897 |Trade or Calling: Teamster |Are you Married: No |Active Militia: 4th Field Co. Can. Engineers |Description: 5 ft 8 inches tall, girth 33 ins. | Fair complexion, blue eyes and black hair |  Considered FIT | Document dated 16 Sep 1916, Montreal PQ, Canada.   His obituary appears on 4 Jan 1919 in The Portsmouth Herald on page 2: PRIVATE FRANK W. DALEY DIES IN FRANCE. Word has been received by Mrs. Margaret J. Daley, 319 Cedar Street, Manchester of the death of her son, Private Frank W. Daley, Depot Brigade, Canadian Overseas Battalion, who died Dec. 20 of bronchial pneumonia, in a hospital in France. Frank W. Daley was born in North Hampton June 29, 1896 and had resided in Manchester and Portsmouth all his life. He enlisted in October 1916 at Ottawa, Ontario and from there was sent to London, England, and thence to France where he saw active service for about a year. Twice he was wounded once in the arm and another time in the leg. He was employed in several places in this city, working first for the F.L. Hayes Roofing company. He also worked for some time at the Hartford and Raitt Bottling Company in Portsmouth. Besides his mother, Margaret (McCoal) Daley, he is survived by a widow, Mrs. Bessie (Waysgood) Daley of London, England, and five sisters, Mrs. Mary La Brie of Portsmouth, Mrs. Marguerite Kraft; the Misses Jennie, Annie and Esther Daley of Manchester, and two brothers, Hugh A. of Bangor, Me., and George H. of Manchester.” Canadian records show that Frank Daley died 20 Dec 1918 of broncho-pneumonia at No. 12 C.C.S. [Casualty Clearing Station, i.e. field hospital) that was located in Busigny, France from 7.12.18 to 13.4.19.   He was buried in Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension, France, Plot:VIII. A. 83.   During WWI he was a Pioneer or Sapper, who were part of the Engineering segment of the Canadian army.

Dennett wedding announcment
8 May 1918 Portsmouth Herald.

[7] Paul Carroll Dennett was born 13 July 1892 in Portsmouth NH, son of Frank M. & Annie F. (Carroll) Dennett. In 1900 he was living at 64 Middle Street Portsmouth NH with his parents, and sibling Ruth R.  An enigmatic newspaper report appears in the Portsmouth Herald of 8 May 1918: “The Portsmouth Herald of 8 May 1918 on page 8 reported: “HAVE A WAR-TIME WEDDING. Lieut. Paul C. Dennett, of This City United in Marriage to Boston Girl. Cards have been received in this city announcing the marriage of Lieut. Paul Carroll Dennett, U.S. medical reserve corps, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank M. Dennett of Middle street and Miss Jaquelyn F. Scott, daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth F. Scott of Boston, the wedding taking place at St. Anthony’s church, Allston, on Wednesday, April 24. Lieut. Dennett is a former well known local young man, a graduate of the Portsmouth High School, of Tufts Medical college and of the Newport, R.I. Hospital of Surgery. He has been a practicing physician in Allston, Mass, for the past six months giving up his office there a short time ago on account of entering the service. Dr. Dennett received his commission as first lieutenant the first of the year and has lately been ordered to Bellevue hospital, New York City for military instruction. Mrs. Dennett is a most estimable young woman and popular with all her associates. She is a trained nurse and shows her patriotic spirit by wishing to continue in that work during the war as the need of nurses is so great.”  [Editor’s note, I call this enigmatic since I find that Paul Carroll Dennett son of Frank M. & Annie Frances (Carroll) Dennett married 26 Oct 1916 in Worcester MA to Jacquelyn Terese Scott, daughter of Robert & Elizabeth (Forrest) Scott.   Dr. Paul C. Dennett graduated from Portsmouth (NH) High School in 1911, then Tufts Medical School in 1917.  In 1917 he was a licensed allopathic physician and surgeon in Massachusetts.  The book, “Medical Record,” Vol 95, published in 1919 shows: “Lieut.  Paul Carroll Dennett, M.C., U.S. Army, of Boston, a graduate of Tufts Medical School, Boston, in 1916, on duty with the Seventy-fifth Coast Artillery Company, American Expeditionary Forces in France, died from influenza in Base Hospital No. 65, near Brest, on October 16, aged 26 years.”  Following the war his body was returned to the United States, and he was buried on 19 July 1920 in Sagamore Cemetery, Portsmouth NH.  On 22 July of 1920 the newspaper reported that Mrs. Dennett had presented the with the American flag which draped his casket during his funeral held that week to Frank Booma Post.

Portsmouth (NH) Herald
of 27 Sep 1918.

[8] George Robert Durard [he enlisted as, and his military papers show, surname ‘Gerard’] was born 10 Sep 1895 in Nashville TN, son of George & Josephine (Mayo) Durard. In June of 1917 he completed his WWI Registration form listing his name as GEORGE ROBERT GERARD. He was a general helper at the Portsmouth (NH) Navy Yard, was single, tall, of medium stature with grey eyes and brown hair. At some point following June of 1917, he enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps and was sent to France.  On 6 April 1918 The Portsmouth Herald posted a newspaper story entitled “Portsmouth Men Serving Uncle Sam” and they mentioned his name.  A Marine Corp publication, “A list of the officers and enlisted men of the United States Marine Corp.,” on page 90 lists: GERARD, George Robert Pvt. 23rd 6th MG Bn | DIED OF WOUNDS June 13, 1918 in the Chateau Thierry Sector | Louis Gerard (Brother) |155 5th Ave., N. Nashville, Tenn. [Editor’s note: I tend to think that on this date his battalion was instead in the Battle of Belleau Woods where the marines played an important part.]  A newspaper noted at the time that he was “probably the first man from Portsmouth to die in action.” [Additional editor’s note, technically the USMC notes state he died of wounds which is not the same as KIA].   After his death the Portsmouth Herald of 27 September 1918 showed another story on page 5 (shown here) entitled PHOTOGRAPHS – OUR BOYS SERVING UNDER STARS AND STRIPES, that spoke about him, and his two brothers Jacob M. Durard and Elmer C. Durard who also served in the navy and army respectively:  “George Robert Durand was killed in action on June 12/13, 1918 “somewhere in France,” while fighting in the 34th Co. U.S. Marines.” His name is on the NH Adjutant General’s list of casualties, but it does not appear on the Honor Roll in the NH State House, nor on the Portsmouth WWI plaque in Goodwin Park. Called George DURAND on Portsmouth Memorial Tablet in Plain Field.
[9] Harry L. aka Harold Laforest Dutton was born 28 October 1889 in Craftsbury VT, son of Henry Hazen & Jennette “Jennie” (Lyon) Dutton. In 1900 he was living in Craftsbury VT with his parents and siblings Julius and Nina. He completed his WWI Registration Card on 5 June 1917 in Portsmouth NH where he was then living at 308 Broad Street and working as a wholesale butter and egg dealer, in business for himself. He was supporting his father. He describes himself at being tall and stout with gray eyes and dark brown hair.  [Editor’s note: He listed himself as single, however he had been married a few months previously]. He married 14 March 1918 in York Village, York, Maine to Alice Easton Gifford, daughter of Ernest/Emuel Lincoln & Ella Haven (Shaw) Gifford.  She was born 16 February 1898 in Plainfield, Union Co. NJ. Harold L. Dutton entered military service in the U.S. Army, departing New York City for Europe on 25 April 1918 aboard the ship, Khyber, a Private in Company “F” 325th Infantry National Army.  He never returned home.  He was killed in action in France on 23 Oct 1918. He is buried in Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery at Plot A Row 1 Grave 15.  There is a cenotaph in Proprietor’s Cemetery, Portsmouth NH.

U.S. Navy Yard, Norfolk, Virginia. Nov. 17, 1917. C-2258-Dry dock No. 4 from west, Geo. Leary Construction Co. Local Identifier: 181- V-1361

Slide #1361, 11/17/1917; U.S. Navy Yard, M
Norfolk, VA. Nov. 17, 1917. C-2258-Dry dock No.
4 from west, Geo. Leary Const. Co.; Book 7,
1201-1400. National Archives.

[10] Carl Dennis Everingham was born 27 April 1891 in Rye, NH, son of Rev. John E. & Florence May (Coleman) Everingham, and grandson of Thomas & Emily (Wilson) Everingham. Carl’s siblings included Marjorie (Mrs. Ronald P. Edgerly) of Plaistow NH, and Floy Lucille [b 30 Jan 1893 who m. 16 Aug 1916 to Winfred E. Downs, son of Thomas J. & Cora L. (Hamilton) Downs. She died on 6 Oct 1918 in Sanbornville, Carroll Co. NH. and died 1 February 1920 in Haverhill MA.] Carl also had a brother Homer who was born and died in 1896. In June of 1917 he completed his WWI Registration form from Haverhill MA, at that time working as described in the news story below. He had already enlisted in the Naval Reserve. The Portsmouth Herald newspaper of Portsmouth NH, page 8, on 5 Jan 1918, page 8 published the following announcement: “FORMERLY HOTEL CLERK AT KITTERY POINT. Carl D. Everingham Receives Appointment to Attend Pay Officers’ School at Washington. The many friends in this city and vicinity of Carl D. Everingham, who was for several reasons clerk at the Champernowne Hotel, Kittery Point will be glad to hear of his good fortune in being selected to attend the Pay Officers’ school at Washington. Mr. Everingham is the son of Rev. J.E. Everingham, formerly of Suncook NH, now of Warren, Me. and the nephew of Fred D. Coleman, the local Congress street druggist. Mr. Everingham enlisted in the Naval Reserve last May at Newport, RI. Later he took examinations at Portsmouth for the position of assistant paymaster and having passed this examination successfully, he received his commission and took the oath of office at Newport, in October. On Dec. 22, he received orders to report in Washington DC where he is now taking a two months course at the Pay Officers’ school Mr. Everingham graduated from Pembroke Academy with the class of 1911 and entered Brown University in the autumn of the same year, he graduated from the Institution with the class of 1915. He then studied law for about one year, since which time he has held a position in the office of the Haverhill Coal Supply company of Haverhill, Mass., as assistant treasurer.” United States Naval records show that he served in 1918 he served as Paymaster for the Naval Reserve Force in the 5th Naval District (Comdts Office) which would have been Norfolk Navy Yard, Norfolk VA. Carl D. Everingham m. 22 March 1918 to Marjorie P. Lake. She b 27 Aug 1897 Providence RI.  They had a child, Carl Dennis Everingham who was born 22 April 1919 in Providence RI (Carl Jr. married 19 Oct 1942 in Norwich CT to Shirley L. Fellows. She b. 23 June 1920 Norwich CT). Carl D. Everingham died on 1 February 1920 a in the Haverhill MA Contagious Hospital a few months before his son’s first birthday, of broncho-pneumonia resulting from influenza.  He was buried in Proprietor’s Cemetery, Portsmouth NH.  He does not show up on any of the plaques or recognitions, as he was not actively in the military at the time of his death.

U.S. Navy Casualty Book
page 21 re: Fingleton.

[11] Louis James Fingleton was born 18 Nov 1892 in Lawrence, MA son of Jerome Nicholas & Mary “Minnie” (Dunleavy/Dunlavey) Fingleton, and grandson of John & Bridget (Duffy) Fingleton. He had siblings: Jerome Fingleton (b. 3 March 1903 Lawrence MA),  Mary Jane Fingleton (who married Marcellus William Cassidy 3 June 1919 in Portsmouth NH), Helen Blake Fingleton (who m. Charles Edgar Hoyt), Catherine “Kate” Fingleton (born 1891, died 30 Apr 1957), and Georgie/Georgina Fingleton.  The Boston Herald newspaper of April 15, 1918 on page 4 published a lengthy story about the ship Cyclops and how it went missing (it is considered missing to this day) along with a biography of Louis James Fingleton as follows: “Official Statement. The U.S.S. Cyclops, navy collier of 19,000 tons displacement, loaded with a cargo of manganese and with a personnel on board of 15 officers and 221 men of the crew and 57 passengers is overdue at an Atlantic port since March 13. She last reported at one of the West Indian islands on March 4 and since her departure from that port no trace of her nor information concerning her has been obtained. Radio calls to the Cyclops from all possible points have been made and vessels sent to search for her along her probable route and area in which she might be, with no success. No well-founded reason can be given to explain the Cyclops being overdue as no radio communication with or trace of her has been had since leaving the West Indian port. The weather in the area in which the vessle must have passed has not been bad and should hardly been given the Cyclops trouble. While a raider or submarine could be responsible for her loss there have been no reports that would indicate the presence of either in the locality in which the Cyclops was. It was known that one of the two engines of the Cyclops was injured and that she was proceeding at a reduced speed with one engine compounded. This fact would have no effect on her ability to communicate by radio, for even if her main engines were totally disabled, the ship would still be capable of using her radio plant. The search for the Cyclops still continues, but the navy department feels extremely anxious as to her safety.” A second story mentions: “Lt. Fingleton Has Four Sisters at Portsmouth. Portsmouth, April 14–Mrs. C. Edward Hoyt of this city received a telegraph from the navy department this evening announcing that the naval collier Cyclops is now a month overdue from a West Indian port and that her brother, Lt. Louis J. Fingleton, 25 years old, was an officer on the collier. Lt. Fingleton joined the naval reserves in this city at the outbreak of the war with the rank of ensign and was assigned to the engineering department. Prior to that time he had been attached to the government army boat in this city. A few months after his enlistment he was given a commission as a lieutenant and was assigned to the Cyclops as the engineering officer. Besides Mrs. Hoyt, three other sisters reside in this city, the Misses Nettie, Mary and Georgie Fingleton. Mrs. Hoyt said tonight that the last time they heard from their brother was somewhat over a month ago, the letter being mailed from some southern port, possibly in Brazil. He wrote that he was in excellent health, was on his way north and would see them all shortly.”  It should be noted here that no verifiable trace of the Cyclops and no trace of Lieut. Fingleton has ever been found.  Last contact was on March 4, 1918 but the official Navy Casualty records give his date of death as June 14, 1918, stating it was an accident.  His family probated his will in 1920. “U.S. Navy Casualty Book: FINGLETON, LOUIS J., lieutenant (junior grade), United States Naval Reserve Force (class 3);  Died: On board the U.S.S. Cyclops when that vessel was reported missing; Date: June 14, 1918; Cause: Accident; Next of kin: Miss Mary J. Fingleton (sister), Dennett Street, Portsmouth, N.H.; Appointed from New Hampshire. Someone created a “grave” for him on Find-a-grave.”

1910 immigration passenger
list showing Amedeo Fiori.

[12] Amedeo Fiori aka Priori/Priore, was born 13 August 1887 in  Montefalcone Appennino, Italy, son of Luigi Fiori.   He immigrated to the United States on April 23, 1910 sailing on S.S. Philadelphia from Cherbourg France to New York, New York, United States.  He must have spent some time in Chicago for that is where he first applied for citizenship.  By 5 June 1917 he was living in Portsmouth NH where he completed his WWI registration:  Amedeo Fiori, 31 Dennett Street; born 13 August 1887 Montefalcone Italy. had declared 1st (citizen intention) papers; occupation: laborer for Andrew Cefalo, York Harbor. He had support of parents and brother in Italy. He was single, tall, of medium stature, with blue eyes and dark brown hair. We know that he was sent for initial training at Camp Devens MA for that is where his formal citizenship papers were signed on  Signed June 27, 1918.  The Portsmouth Herald newspaper of 10 July 1917 listed Amedeo Fiori of 31 Dennett Street Portsmouth as #884 on the draft list.  The U.S. Transport Record Passenger lists show him departing Boston MA on 8 July 1918 for Europe aboard the ship Derbyshire, at that time a Private, assigned to Co I, 303rd Infantry. His serial number was 2723108, residence Portsmouth NH and next of kin, Mrs. Priola Camille, aunt.  His first stop must have been England for another transport list shows him among Co. I, 3rd Batallion, 303rd Infantry departing on 24 July 1918 from Winnall Down Camp (in England) probably headed to France.  The Jaunary 8, 1919 Boston MA, Boston Herald, on p. 8 shows: Formerly Missing in Action, now Dead: Fiori, Priv. Amedio, Portsmouth N.H. The Haulsee Book of U.S. Soldiers lists him Killed in Action, and the N.H. Adjutant General’s list of Casualties shows his name with a date of death as 1 October 1918.  [Editor’s note.  I question this date of Oct 1, 1918 only because a Seraphim Fiori of Kansas, who is an entirely different person, died on that date and is buried in France. It would seem startlingly unusual to have such a coincidence that both Fiori men died on the same date]. According to the web site New River Notes, “The Seventy-Sixth Division was known as  the “Liberty Bell Division.” Organized at Camp Devens, MA in September 1917,  it was composed of National Army drafts from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island and Connecticut. The first units embarked for overseas on July 5, 1918, and the last units arrived in France on July 31, 1918. Upon arrival in France the division was designated as a depot division and ordered to the St. Aignan area. Here the division was broken up, training cadres were formed and the personnel used as replacements for combat divisions at the front. The special units, such as the Signal Battalion and Sanitary Troops, were sent forward as corps and army troops.”  A Portsmouth NH newspaper of 1938 mentions a remembrance ceremony, with Amedeo Fiori’s next of kin being Alberico Priori. His burial place is unknown.
[13] Frank H.N.Grant was born 4 August 1886 in Portsmouth NH, son of John S. & Florence (Cole) Grant [Note: the Soldiers’ Memorial book has the incorrect year of his birth].  He had one sibling, Alice Marion Grant (b 2 Aug 1888 Portsmouth NH; m. 28 Oct 1909 in Portsmouth NH to Fred W. Merrow and d. Sep 1969).  He grew up in Portsmouth NH and was involved in many organizations. In January 1906 he was one of a committee working on a dance at the Turner art exhibit, to further a Y.M.C.A. Project.  In May 1907 he was a member of the Flower Committee of the Young People’s Society of the North Congregational Church, participating as one of the cast in a comedy entitled, “A Rice Pudding.” The Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth NH of 15 Oct 1918, page 5 offers a heart-felt biography: “DEATH CLAIMS ONE MORE PORTSMOUTH BOY IN SERVICE. Lieut. Frank Grant.  Dies at Fort Apache, Arizona. Portsmouth is again called up on to mourn the death of one of its sons who was serving his country with credit and honor in the great cause of righteousness which stricken with the fatal disease which is costing so many lives. The news of the death on Monday morning of First Lieutenant Frank H.N. Grant reached this city last evening, he having died at Fort Apache, Ariz, from pneumonia which followed the influenza. The sad messaged brought great sorrow to the parents of the young man, Mr. and Mrs. John S. Grant of Austin street and they are almost prostrated with grief over the deaths of their only son and eldest child, a young man held in the highest esteem by all and popular with all who knew him; whose character was above reproach and who had a smile and kindly word for everyone with whom he came in friendly association. The wife of the young army officer had written to his parents some days before that he was not feeling very well, but at that time there seemed no cause for alarm. The telegram related that up to Sunday he was apparently recovering, but pneumonia developed and he rapidly grew worse to the end. Lieut. Grant was born in this city Aug 4, 1886 and made this his home until about six years ago. He was educated in the public schools and after completing his education he took a position on the navy yard, becoming skillful as a draftsman and worked in that capacity for seven years. Six years ago he entered an army training school in Virginia and was in the service there for two years. He later was assigned July in Texas. After staying in Texas some time he was sent to Columbus, New Mexico, and was on duty there eight months. After his term of service had expired he left Texas and planned to accept a position in Detroit. When war was declared he was anxious to re-enter the service and enlisted at Detroit, Michigan May 1917 and was assigned duty in Mexico. He later went to a service school in Chicago, ILL and soon received his commission as second lieutenant. He was then ordered to duty at Jacksonville Fla, and was there for several months. The young officer was recently promoted to first lieutenant and was sent to Fort Apache, Arizona, where he was given full charge of the quartermaster’s department. He had been in Arizona but a short time when taken ill. Lieut. Grant was united in marriage to Miss Fannie Chandler on June 5, 1911 at St. Luke’s church, Kalamazoo, Mich. His bride was a lovable and accomplished young woman and the married life of the couple was ideal. The sudden death of the young husband has caused her great sorrow. One child was born to the couple, its death occurring at the age of 2 months. Lieut Grant was filled with the true patriotic spirit and was ready and eager to do his part in the fight for humanity. He was considered highly efficient as an army officer….Lieut. Grant visited his former home in this city last November for two weeks and the meeting and greeting again of the folks and friends was especially pleasant. He was a young man of fine principles devoted to his parents, a church member and active in church circles. He was also a member of St. Andrew’s Masonic Lodge of this city. He leaves to mourn his loss, his wife, also his parents, and one sisters, Mrs. Fred Merrow of Manchester, also an aged grandmother, Mrs. Grant, who resides with her son on Austin Street. Mr. Grant left this morning for Richland, Mich., to be present at the burial of his son. He was accompanied by his daughter Mrs. Morrow, who is also grief stricken from the loss of her brother. Lieut. Grant will be buried with military honors and the remains will be brought to Richland, Mich., for interment in the family lot. I did not find records of Fort Apache which stated what company and battalion Lieut. Grant served with.  The First Infantry Regiment of the Arizona National Guard was drafted into federal service in 1917, but re-designated as the 158th Infantry Regiment during WWI.  Much of this regiment was sent overseas in July and August 1918. Lieut. Frank H.N. Grant died of disease (pneumonia-influenza) 14 October 1918 Fort Apache, Arizona and is buried at Prairie Home Cemetery, Richland, Kalamazoo Co., Michigan.

8 Sep 1921 edition
of the Portsmouth Herald
showing Fay E. Hatt.

[14] Fay Eugene Hatt was born 29 September 1892 in Lisbon NH, son and 3rd child of James & Louise (Peabody) Hatt. In the 1900 US Census he is found in the NH Orphans home in Franklin NH, age 8 yrs. An older brother George b May 1890 is there with him. In that same year his father was living and boarding in Franconia.  His mother died of heart problems in 1914. By June of 1917 Fay E. Hatt completed his WWI Registration form in Portsmouth NH. At that time he was 24 yrs old, living at 296 South Street Portsmouth NH. He was working as an Expressman for J. O’Leary in Portsmouth NH.  He was single, short, and stout with blue eyes and brown hair.  The NH Adjutant General’s Casualty list shows Fay E. Hatt as being killed in action on 1 Nov 1918. At that time he was a Private in the U.S. Army — Co K 309th Infantry, 78th Division. He was at first buried in France, then when the war ended his remains were shipped home.  In August of 1921 the body of Fay E. Hatt was transported on the ship Wheaten from Antwerp, Belgium to Hoboken NJ. From there he was returned to Portsmouth.  The 8 Sep 1921 edition of the Portsmouth Herald newspaper, on page 6 can be found his funeral report. “HOLD MILITARY FUNERAL FOR DEAD SOLDIER. Many Comrades Take Part in Last Sad Rites. The funeral services of Fay E. Hatt of this city, late member of Co. K, 103rd Infantry, who was killed in action in France November 1, 1918, were held from the New Hampshire State Armory in this city Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock and largely attended. Roy E.S. Tasker, pastor of the Methodist church officiated and pad a fitting tribute to the brave young soldier who gave his life in the cause of humanity. The members of Frank Booma Post, in charge of Vice Commander Omer J. Comeau escorted the funeral cortege to the grave, the casket draped with the American flag being borne on a gun caisson. The following members of the Legion acted as bearers: Raymond Johnson, Henry Bickford, Lester Gardner and James Gillespie. Austin Barrett, chaplain of the Frank Booma Post read the committal services at the grave. A volley by the firing squad from the 1st Co., Coast Artillery, Fort Constitution, New Castle, in charge of Sergeant Johnson followed, after which taps were sounded by Bugler Norman Burke of the Legion. The interment was in the family lot in Sagamore cemetery under the direction of J. Verne Wood.” The newspaper report included the photograph shown here.

Photograph of Hugh C. Hill
from Portsmouth Herald of
25 Nov 1918.

[15] Hugh Conway Hill was born 26 July 1891 in Kennebunk, York Co., Maine, son of Robert Francis & Blanche (Washburn) Hill.  He had one sibling, Cyril Dean Hill, b. 30 Jue 1896 and d. 20 Jan 1965. He m. 1 May 1924 in Concord NH to Maude Beatrice Little. They had several children including Marjorie J., Shirley B., and Robert D. In 1900, at age 8, he was living in Kennebunk, Maine with his parents, maternal grandmother and younger brother Cyrus.  By 1910 he was living in Fairfield Somerset Maine, listed as a pupil at the Good Will Home.   On 26 January 1918 he completed a WWI Registration form in Portsmouth NH. He was of medium height and stature with light blue eyes and light brown hair. He was living at 82 Cabot Street in Portsmouth, employed as a carpenter. At that time he stated he had previously served in the U.S. Navy as carpenter’s mate for 4 years. The Portsmouth Herald of 25 November 1918 offered a biography: “CORPORAL HUGH C. HILL KILLED. An official telegraph was received Sunday, Nov. 24, by Mrs. Hayden Wood of Cabot street, informing her that her nephew, Corp. Hugh C. Hill, K Co., 359th Infantry was killed in action Sept. 17. Corp. Hill was born in Kennebunk, Me., July 26, 1890 and after obtaining his education came to Portsmouth and was employed for a time by A.E. Rand. In January 1914, he enlisted in the Navy and was honorable discharged. In January of this year, with the rating of carpenter’s mate 3rd class, On April 26 he went to Camp Dix as a draftee, having volunteered to go a long while before he would have been called. He went overseas a few weeks later and his last letter written in August was dated Somewhere in France. He was an active member of the Middle street church. His only nearer relative is Serg. Cyril D. Hill, H. Co. 66th Pioneer Infantry, also in France. Corporal Hill united with the Middle Street Baptist Church while in the navy, and was active in church work. He was at one time president of the Young Men’s Guild of that parish and ever an active member of the Young People’s Society. He entered into things and was one of the popular of the parish and there was genuine sorrow in the congregation on Sunday when it was announced that word had just come that the young soldier had been killed in action. Before he entered the army he, with several others, was given a farewell supper by the young people of the Middle Street Baptist parish and in a letter to the pastor. Rev. William P. Stanley, not long since, he referred to that pleasant gathering. So anxious was he to enter the army at the completion of his term in the navy that he volunteered to go in place of a young man who was ill. While he was at Camp Dix, Rev. Mr. Stanley, who was on a trip, stopped over to greet several of the local soldiers there and had a pleasant call with the young man.”  He was killed in action on 12 September 1918 at St. Mihiel France and is buried now in St. Mihiel American Cemetery, Thiaucourt, France in Plot B, Row 15, Grave 10.  A Cenotaph is in Hope Cemetery, Kennebunk, York Co.
[16] Sgt. Arthur R. Lemke credited to Portsmouth NH by NH Adjutant General, and on casualty list. Not found on NH Honor Roll at NH State House or on the Portsmouth NH Honor Rolls.  His name IS found on the Rochester Honor Roll, so see #10 on “NH WWI Military: Heroes of Rochester.”

24 February 1919 edition  of the North Adams Transcript
– Obituary of Edward J. Mack.

[17] Michael Lynch was born 3 April 1861 in Portsmouth NH, son of Timothy & Catherine (Callahan) Lynch. He had siblings: Daniel Joseph (1863-1907), Annie (1864) and Katy (1865). Prior to his WWI naval service, Michael Lynch served during the Spanish-American War (also in the navy).  His most recent assignment was on the U.S.S. Oklahoma (the very same ship that was bombed at Pearl Harbor years later).  His death records show varying death dates: 23 or 25th of December, 1919 as dying in the Naval Hospital in Brooklyn, New York.  He was 49 years old.  The cause listed as “alcoholism,” however I suggest that my readers consider the following.  I have personally researched two other death records of men much younger in the military with that same cause of death, when it turned out they were working with chemical weapons that affected the liver in the same way that alcohol does over a long period of time.  A little known fact was that the United States was involved in making and testing poisonous and toxic chemicals during WWI.  There was a call for volunteers from the military, and Michael could have been one of those brave men. Michael Lynch is buried in Saint Marys Cemetery, Portsmouth NH.  Michael’s father was a member of Storer Post, G.A.R.
[18] Edward J. Mack was born 3 July 1872 in North Adams, Massachusetts, son  of James & Ellen (Wall) Mack.  He had siblings, Bridget, Michael and Sarah/Sadie. His parents had immigrated from Ireland to the United States. As early as 1900 Edward J. Mack was serving in the United States Army, and in that year he was a sergeant at Fort Barrancas, Escambia, Florida. Edward J. Mack married on 16 May 1907 in Hull MA to Lena Sullivan, daughter of Lawrence Sullivan and Kate McCarthy. She was a nurse at the time of her marriage, and he a soldier on their marriage record.  After his death, she married 2d) Jeremiah Horan.  The U.S. Transport Record passenger records of 29 January 1919 shows Edward J. Mack arriving from Bordeaux, France to Hoboken, New Jersey aboard the USS Santa Teresa. At that time he was a 1st Lieut with the Ordnance Department. He was among several other officers returning home in a Convalescent Company No. 17. He must have been severely ill, for his condition shows, “Paralysis.” He died in the Polyclinic Hospital in New York, a little over 2 weeks after his return to the U.S. of chronic nephritis. His body was returned to Portsmouth for burial in Calvary Cemetery. OBITUARY–LIEUTENANT E.J. MACK DIES in N.Y. HOSPITAL. –Native of This City Had Been in United States Army for the Past 22 Years–First Lieutenant Edward J. Mack, 46 years of age, for 22 years a soldier in the United States army died Thursday at the New York Polyclinic Hospital. He had recently returned from overseas where he saw a year and a half of service in the commissary department of the army. Lieutenant Mack was a native of this city and was the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. James Mack. He spent his early life in this city entering the army service nearly a quarter of a century ago, and would have been retired when he reached his 50th birthday. Shortly after the outbreak of the war he was commissioned a second lieutenant and within a short time was promoted to first Lieutenancy. Lieutenant Mack Leaves a wife, two sisters, Mrs George Bowers of Lynn and Miss Sadie Mack of Elm street, this city, and a brother Michael Mack of Framingham N.H. A military funeral was held Saturday in Portsmouth N.H., and burial took place in that city.

From 24 Feb 1920
Portsmouth Herald newspaper.

[19] Arthur Todd Patch was born 4 May 1894 in Kittery, York Co. Maine, son and 4th child of William F. & Emma (Garland) Patch. His father was a pilot (ship). In 1910 he was living in Kittery Maine with his parents and siblings: Myra, Gertie, Josiah, Erma L., and Hazel. In the 1910 census his father had died and he was living in Portsmouth NH with his widowed mother, and younger sister Hazel. In 1914 he was living in Portsmouth NH a driver for 266 State Street, boarding at 40(11) School Street with his mother, then a widow. On 5 June 1917 he completed his WWI Registration form stating he ived at 35 South Mill Street, Portsmouth, aged 23. He was the driver of a delivery wagon for Central Laundry Company of Portsmouth (NH). He was single, his mother being a dependent. He was short with medium stature, light blue eyes and light hair. He died of spinal fever at Newport RI on 29 Dec 1917 and was buried in First Baptist Cemetery Section B, Lot 75. The Maine Veteran’s Cemetery records show he held the rank of Seaman in the U.S. Navy, and served on the ship, U.S.S. Baltimore. The Arthur T. Patch Barracks, World War I Veteran’s Auxiliary is named in his honor. The Saturday, Sept 14, 1918 issue of the  Portsmouth Herald newspaper included a biography–OUR BOYS SERVING UNDER STARS AND STRIPES. Pen Sketches and Pictures. The above cut is that of Arthur T. Patch of this city, the first Portsmouth young man to die in the U.S. service in the war. His death was caused by meningitis and he passed away on Dec. 29, 1917 at the Naval Hospital at Newport, R.I. at the age of 23 years. Arthur T. Patch was the son of Mrs. Emma Patch of South Mill street. His genial nature and kindly heart made him liked by all his associates. He was born in Kittery Point, Me., but some years later the family moved to this city. After he left school he was employed by a local express company, but soon after war was declared he became anxious to enter the service and on July 9, 1917 enlisted at the Portsmouth navy yard in the regular navy for four years. He was at once assigned as a fireman on the U.S.S. Baltimore. Having been away from home for some time after his enlistment, he was anticipating a furlough and a visit to his mother over Thanksgiving, but on Nov 22 he was taken ill and his condition soon became serious. All through his illness he was a patient sufferer. He died Dec. 29, 1917. Before his illness he had been hoping soon to see native service in European waters, being filled with the spirit of patriotism, but although death came before his wish was realized, he answered his country’s call and his courage and devotion to duty in the great cause made him a hero. A physician of the Naval Hospital staff at Newport said to the sailor lad’s devoted mother who hurried to Newport when she knew her son was ill. “Your boy is as much a hero as if he died on the battlefield. He gave unselfish consecration to America. The young man was buried from his late home in this city with military honors. The funeral services were conducted by Chaplain Roundtree, U.S.N. A large silk American flag was placed over the casket and beautiful floral tributes gave evidene of the love and esteem of relatives, friends, and associates. He is tenderly mourned in the home circle, yet his mother with tear-stained eyes looks lovingly at her boy’s picture in her home, and is proud to think he was grave and true to his country’s flag.

WWI military men with American flag from The Honor Roll 1917
-1918-1919 by Clifford R. Trimble, published 1920, Library of

[20] Carl Alfred Pearson was born 27 Sep 1893 in Portsmouth NH, son of Charles A. & Ellen Theresa “Nellie” (McCarthy) Pearson.  His widowed mother married 2d) Henry Disbrow.  His widowed mother m2d) Henry Disbrow. He had sibings: Olga E. (who m1) 1902 Chester Jean Wheeler, div. 1906; m. 2d, Thomas Lynskey); Alfreda Marguerite (who m1) Samuel Whitehouse, m2d) 1944 Clifford Thornton Pike;Emily Pauline (who m. William Carlton); John Rudolph Pearson; Otto William Pearson (b 1896); Charles C. Pearson (b Feb 1898); Earl Caesar Pearson (b 1899, d. 1985); Eva who m. 1903 to Charles Kindler.  On 5 June 1917 he completed his WWI Draft Registration form at Boston MA: Carl Alfred Pearson, aged 24, living at 76 Westland St. Boston MA. Employed as a rubber coat-maker for Clifton Manufacturing Co., Jamaica Plain MA. He was single, tall, of medium stature with blue eyes and black hair. His death certificate is interesting in that it lists his first name as EARL (which was a brother’s name) but gives the correct birth year and other information. The Portsmouth Herald (Portsmouth NH) newspaper of 24 Sep 1918 Tuesday, on page 6 reported: Carl Pearson of this city, a member of the National Army at Camp Devens, died on Monday from pneumonia resulting from influenza. His sister and mother were with him when he died having been notified of his serious illness. He was 25 years old and was born in this city and attended school here. He was in Boston working when the registrations were made and he was sent to Camp Devens with a Boston draft. He leaves besides his mother, four sisters, Mrs. William Carlton, Mrs. Thomas Lynskey, Mrs. Samuel Whitehouse and Mrs. Eva Kindler, and two brothers, Earl and John Pearson, of this city. The body will be brought here for service and interment.
A second publication carried his funeral in The Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth NH, 30 Sep 1918, Monday, page 6: ” The funeral of Carl Pearson who died at Camp Devens was held at 2 o’clock Sunday afternoon from the home of his mother, Mrs. Henry Disbrow, on Hanover Street. Rev. C. Le V. Brine, rector of Christ Church officiated. Interment was in Sagamore cemetery under the direction of W.P. Miskell. The bearers were John Pearson, son, Earl Pearson, Samuel Whitehouse and Martin Kladler.”   Find-a-grave reports that he is buried not in Sagamore Cemetery, but rather in Harmony Cemetery, Portsmouth NH. Carl Pearson’s niece, (daughter of John R. & Josephine (Crichitt) Pearson–Miss Doris Pearson–unveiled the granite boulder with bronze marker at the Portsmouth Plains on 10 August 1919. (As her uncle, Carl Pearson was the only “Plain’s boy” to give his life in the war.).

[21] Evelyn Violet Petrie was born 12 August 1889 at Vinalhaven, Knox Co., Maine, daughter of Alexander H. & Mary (Strachan) Petrie.  She had siblings Alexander H., William Albert, and Henry A.   Evelyn V. Petrie was a graduate of Boston Homeopathic Hospital.  The Portsmouth Herald of 14 August 1916 on page 1 included an article showing that Evelyn Petrie was at one time a district nurse at Portsmouth NH. “NEW DISTRICT NURSE. Miss Evelyn Petrie of Roxbury will succeed Miss Fowler as district nurse and will assume her duties here on Sept. 1. Miss Petrie is a graduate of the Boston Homeopathic hospital and comes highly recommended to the committee from the District Nursing Association who secured her services. Miss Petrie will take a residence on Cass street with other members of her family. The association is much pleased in the selection.”  When the United States entered WWI, she served as a nurse in the Homeopathic Unit at Fort Oglethorpe, GA, at Base Hospital No. 44. Evelyn V. Petrie died on 26 May 1918 at Fort Oglethorpe from “hemmorrhage, fractured skull” as the result of an accident.  Obituary articles state she fell from a horse [see]. She had 2 funeral services–one at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia and a second one in Portsmouth New Hampshire.  27 May 1918 Arkansas Democrat, Little Rock Arkansas, page 6: “Chattanooga Tenn, May 27–Evelyn Petrie of Portsmouth N.H., nurse at the base hospital, Fort Oglethorpe, was thrown from a horse yesterday afternoon and killed while riding. An officer who attempted to save her when the horse became frightened was seriously injured. His name was withheld at the post.” The Chattanooga

Photograph of funeral  of Evelyn Petrie
in the May 1918 Chattanooga News.

News (Chattanooga TN) 29 May 1918 page 10. IMPRESSIVE FUNERAL FOR RED CROSS NURSE. Army Pays Tribute to Miss Evelyn Petrie, Killed at Chickamauga. “To the soft strains of a beautiful funeral march, a solemn procession, made up of khaki-clad men, a hearse bearing all that was mortal of a young woman who died in the service of her country, Red Cross nurses clad in their uniforms of snow white, and ambulances from Fort Oglethorpe, passed slowly down Market street Tuesday afternoon. The flower-banked casket contained the body of Miss Evelyn Petrie, a Red Cross nurse, who succumbed Sunday night to injuries received a hours previous when she was thrown by a horse. As the cortege wended its way south on Market street to the Terminal station traffic on the busy thoroughfares was stopped. Pedestrians–there were many of them–paused to pay reverence to the still form that was being moved to the silent city of the dead; men, with few exceptions, uncovered and not a few eyes filled with tears. The procession was one of the most impressive ever seen in Chattanooga. Services at Wann’s funeral residence were largely attended, and beautiful tributes were paid to the life, character and work of Miss Petrie. A graduate nurse from a Red Cross training school in Boston, she had come to Fort Oglethorpe to minister unto the sick and suffering men of Uncle Sam. Although she had only been here a short while she had endeared herself to those who knew her. She was in reality a soldier of the great cause of world democracy and was serving faithfully and conscientiously, thereby demonstrating her love for country and flag. Major-Chaplain Sutherland, of Camp Greenleaf, assisted by Lieut. Roberts, chaplain at the base hospital, conducted the services. The Red Cross nurses entered the funeral chapel in a body. They were dressed in pure white and the Red Cross emblem was on their caps. They paused by the casket and gazed for the last time on the face of their esteemed fellow worker. A passage of Scripture was read by Maj. Sutherland. Familiar hymns were sung by Mrs. L.G. Walker and Mrs. McCleary, with Miss George acting as the accompanist. A beautiful and eloquent prayer was said by Chaplain Roberts. “Nearer My God, to Thee” was then sung by the entire company of more than 200. The funeral procession, headed by the Camp Greenleaf band, then made it ways to the railway station. Following the band came mounted police, then a large number of soldiers, the hears on either side of which marched five nurses, honorary pall-bearers; behind the hearse came six officers of the base hospital as active pallbearers, followed by an escort of medical officers, men of the base hospital unit, eighty-four nurses in columns of fours. They were under the direction of their head nurse. Ambulances from the post made up the rear of the procession. Maj. Kielty of the base hospital commanded the entire formation. Red Cross Workers formed in front of the workrooms and when the cortege passed by they stood at attention. Many southern magnolias, gifts of the Woman’s Service league, were piled high upon the bier. These were sent to the young woman’s home as tokens of the honor of a southern community to the deceased. Then, too, there were beautiful floral offerings from the officers of quarters No. 19, from the nurses, individual officers and others. The body of Miss Petrie was sent to her home at Portsmouth N.H. for interment.”  Three days later she was buried in Portsmouth NH, and the local paper including the following– 2 June 1918 Boston Sunday Globe. MILITARY FUNERAL FOR NURSE AT PORTSMOUTH. Portsmouth, N.H., June 1–Miss Evelyn Petrie, the Red Cross nurse who was killed in a runaway accident at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, was buried today with full military honors. The services were held at the North Church chapel and were conducted by Rev. Dr. L.H. Thayer. Members of Portsmouth Red Cross Chapter, the Portsmouth Medical Society and many others attended. The casket was covered with the American flag. Six privates from Fort Constitution acted as body bearers and six officers as honorary pallbearers. A full military escort preceded the funeral cortege to Sagamore Cemetery, where taps were sounded and a farewell volley firedShe is buried in Harmony Grove Cemetery, Portsmouth NH.  A year later this article appeared in the newspaper– 28 December 1919 Boston Sunday Globe. “The former yeomen (F) at the Navy Yard have organized an American Legion Post. The post has been named in honor of Miss Evelyn V. Petrie, a local nurse, who lost her life in service. Miss Petrie was a graduate of Boston Homeopathic Hospital and at the time of her death was serving with the Homeopathic Unit at Fort Oglethorpe, Ga.

Portsmouth Herald newspaper
20 September 1920

[22] Sidney/Sydney R. Pickles* was born 6 Oct 1892 in Boston MA, [Sidney on birth certificate] son of James & Annie M. (Nicoll) Pickles, and grandson of Joseph & Martha(Billbruck) Pickles of Marsden, Lancashire, England.  In 1910 he was living in Portsmouth NH with his parents, and siblings,Evelyn G. (who m. William C. Harris, d. 1988), and Ester Goddard Pickles (d. 1925). In the 1916 Portsmouth NH directory he is shown as working as a clerk at 19 Market Street, boarding at 129 Burkett Street where his father James Pickles, carpet cleaner, lives.  On 5 June 1917 Sydney Reginald Pickles completed a WWI Registration form, stating he lived at 129 Burkett Street in Portsmouth NH, was of medium height and build with dark brown hair and blues eyes. His occupation was clerk in Dry Goods Store, D.F. Borthwick of Portsmouth.    The U.S. Military Transport Passenger lists show that Sydney R. Pickles left Boston MA on 8 July 1918 bound for Europe, aboard the ship, Derbyshire. At that time he was a member of Company I, 303rd Infantry.   Later records show that at some point he was assigned to the 18th Infantry, 1st Division who fought in most of the larger WWI battle.  At first he was reported as missing in action in early autumn. The official military statement is that Private Sydney R. Pickles was killed in action on 8 Oct 1918 in the Argonne Forest, France. He was originally buried in the American Battle Area Cemetery at Axermont, Meuse, France, Grave No. 11, Plot C. (on 21 Oct 1918). When the war ended, in September of 1921, his remains were returned to Portsmouth where he was re-interred in the South Street Cemetery, Portsmouth NH, Sagamore 229F.

Photograph from Annual Report,
United States Military Academy
Association, published June 1919,
SCHMIDT. No. 5854.
Class of (Aug., 1917) 1918.

[23] Theodore Desmond Schmidt* was born 27 Jan 1896 in Manhattan NY, son of F.D./Ralph & Catharine/Katherine (Quill) Schmidt.  His mother married 2d) about 1905 to Thomas F. Morrissey, and in 1910 Theodore is found living with his mother, stepmother and two half brothers on Gosling Road in Newington, NH.  Theodore D. Schmidt had half sibings Gerald P. & Robert Emmet Morrissey. U.S. Army Transport Service Passenger Lists show that he left for Europe from Hoboken NJ aboard the ship, Lenape on 10 May 1918. At that time he was a 1st Lieut in the 39th Infantry, 4th Division (Regular). His mother, Mrs. Katherine Morrissey (misspelled Morrisery) was his next of kin, her address being 4 Sheafe Street in Portsmouth NH.  The records seem to conflict about whether he was killed in action or died of wounds later in a field hospital which seems to be the case (wounded 5 June, died 7 June, 1918).  The 6 Aug 1918 edition of  The Portsmouth Herald, on page 1 states: “Lieut. Theodore D. Schmidt Graduate of West Point Killed in Action. The second young man from this city to sacrifice his life on the battlefield of France is Lieut. Theodore Schmidt, U.S.A. The sad news reached his mother day from the war zone. The brave young soldier graduated from the military school at West Point in Jun 1917, and was later assigned to the 30th infantry at Charlotte, S.C. After a short furlough later in the summer he was sent across in defence of the flag. He was appointed from this district to the army school by former Congressman Eugene E. Reed and made rapid progress in his military studies. He graduated from the St. Patrick’s school and later attended the Portsmouth high school. He next entered St. Anselm’s college at Manchester and later West Point. Lieut. Schmidt was a hard worker ever since his school boy days. He was a favorite with his classmates at West Point and among his young friends in Portsmouth.” He is buried in Saint Mary’s Cemetery, Portsmouth NH.

Photograph of soldiers of the 77th Division
pausing for “chow.” From History
of the 77th Division.

[24] Francis Arthur [Arthur Francis] Scott* was born 2 April 1889 in Portsmouth NH, son and 8th child of Mark & Ellen (Kelley) Scott, and grandson of Mark & Nancy (Fitzpatrick) Scott .  He had siblings George Thomas, Elizabeth, Joseph, Anastasia L., William Francis, and Mark. He enlisted in the U.S. Army years before WWI on 4 Feb 1910 at Fort Slocum NY.  At that time he was 22 years old, occupation steamfitter, with blue eyes, dark brown hair, ruddy complexion and standing 5’8″ tall.  He was discharged 3 Feb 1913 at Fort Mackenzie Wyoming as a Private from Co. F., 18th Infantry.  WWI Military Transport Passenger Lists show Francis A. Scott departing New York City on 7 April 1918 aboard the ship Justicia bound for France as a member of Supply Company 307th Infantry, National Army (77th Division). His uncle Daniel Scott of #5 Dover Street, Portsmouth NH was his next of kin.  The Gold Star Record of Massachusetts, page 144 [LYNN MA SECTION]: “Scott, Francis Arthur, Captain, Inf.; died 11 Sept 1918 of wounds received in action same day (near Glennes). Enl. 7 March 1913, R.A.; assigned to Co. F., 18th Inf., trans to 21st Inf.; dis. 9 July 1917 to accept commission. Appointed 2nd Lieut, Inf., 10 July from R.A. 1st Lieut., Inf., 10 Aug 1917. Captain, Inf. 21 Aug 1918 and assigned to 307th Inf., 77 Div. Overseas 7 April 1918. Born 2 April 1889 at Portsmouth, N.H. son of Mark and Ellen (Kelley) Scott; nephew of Daniel Scott of Portsmouth [NH].”  The Portsmouth Herald (Portsmouth NH) newspaper of 3 October 1918 on page 8: “PORTSMOUTH BOY WAS AMONG THE BADLY WOUNDED. Capt. Francis A. Scott, Recently Promoted, Injured in Sept. 11. Capt. Francis A. Scott, another Portsmouth boy has been severely wounded in France. His wounds were received in action on September 11 according to the message received from the War Department by his uncle, Daniel J. Scott of Dover street, on Wednesday. No other information was given. Capt. Scott is the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Mark A. Scott. At the time of his enlistment he was employed by the General Electric Company at Lynn and had previously served on the Mexican border. He trained on the west coast and made a rapid advancement to his present rank. In his last letter to his relatives in Portsmouth which was in August he informed them that he had just been made a Captain. He was attached to the 307th Infantry.”  This additional newspaper clipping brought to my attention by John T. Pearson is as follows: The Portsmouth Herald 22 Oct 1920 page 8. BODY OF CAPTAIN SCOTT IS ON WAY TO PORTSMOUTH . Young Office Killed by Shell Fire Will be Buried With Full Military Honors in Native City. The body of Captain Francis Arthur Scott, killed on the battlefield of France in the World War is expected to arrive in this city shortly for burial in the family lot. Captain Scott was the son of the late Mark A. and Ellen Scott. He obtained his early education in the Whipple school, and after leaving Portsmouth was employed by the General Electric Co. at Lynn. He enlisted in the regular army in Missouri and was later assigned to Camp Yaphank, N.Y., being a member of the 307th Infantry, 77th Divisio. At the time he was wounded Sept 11, 1918, was on the road between Reason — and Chery Chavannes accompanied by a comrade, Capt. Love. The last named officer recovered from wounds but Capt. Scott died before night and was buried near the 307th field hospital. He was promoted to Captain just about a month before his death. Capt. Scott held the highest rank of any Portsmouth boy who gave his life for their country. He was a brave soldier and a most thorough military man, popular with the men in every camp where he served. He was 27 years old. ”  And yet another obituary and burial location (see comments, thanks John T. Pearson). Boston Sunday Globe June 5, 1921, p 12. PUBLIC FUNERAL PLANNED FOR CAPT. FRANCIS A. SCOTT. WINCHESTER, June 4–A public military funeral will be held Tuesday morning at St. Mary’s Church for Capt. Francis Arthur Scott, Supply, Company, 307th Infantry, 77th Division, A.E.F. , who died Sept 11, 1918 of wounds in France. The body of Capt. Scott, who was a native of Portsmouth, N.H., and a former resident of Lynn for about 20 years, was brought to the home of his brother from France last week. The flags on the public buildings have been placed at half staff until after the funeral Tuesday. The military escort will consist of Winchester Post 97 American Legion and a delegation from Woburn of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. / Capt. Scott was 27 years old. He removed to Lynn when quite young and graduate from St. Mary’s Parish School. He enlisted Feb 4, 1910 at Boston in the Regular Army, was stationed with the 21st Regulars at Yuma, Ari. for two years, and later went to Vancouver Barracks. On Aug 15, 1917, he was commissioned a first lieutenent of infantry after attending a baker’s training school at Presidio, Calif. He was instructor at Plattsburg, and was sent to Camp Upton to the 307th Infantry Supply Company, Liberty Division. He went overseas in 1918 and was commissioned captain in three months. / He is survived by four brothers and three sisters. The brothers are Joseph A. Scott of Winchester, William T. Scott of Roxbury, Mark A. Scott of Portland, Me., and George T. Scott, believed to be in the United States Army. The sisters are Mrs. Elizabeth Williams of Berkley, Va., and Mrs. Anastasia Jordan of Lynn.  His burial location is, according to John T. Pearson, in Calvary Cemetery, Winchester MA  (see comments section).
[25] Christopher Smart Jr.  was born 12 October 1892 in Portsmouth NH, son of Christopher & Bertha (Rand) Smart.  He had siblings Beatrice Rand Smart (who m. 29 June 1916 in Portsmouth NH to Arthur A. Sawyer, and had a son Donald; she m2d 30 March 1933 to Major Frederick R. Hoyt) and Roland Smart (who m. 26 Sep 1927 to Clara L. Philpott).  On 10 July 1910 in Portsmouth NH Christopher Smart Jr. married Blanche Marie Woods, daughter of Burpee & Cecilia (McIntosh) Woods and they had a son Bradleigh Goodwin Smart who was born in 1914 in NH. [Burleigh G. Smart m. 19 Oct 1938 in LA, California to Bettye Joan Silver, dau of Edward Wade & Grace Lucille (Davis) Silver.] At the time of his marriage Christopher was working as a chauffeur. At the time of completing his WWI Registration form, he was living in Portsmouth NH, a police officer for the City of Portsmouth. He was tall and stout with brown hair and brown eyes.  He was living at 70 Mt. Vernon Street.  He had enrolled in the U.S. Naval Reserve at Boston Mass on 28 February 1918.  There were several newspaper stories that give details, as follows Portsmouth Herald newspaper of 17 July 1918, page 5: “Christopher Smart Jr., who is a member of the Naval Reserves at Bumkin Island has returned to his duties after a 15 days’ furlough at his home in this city.”  The Portsmouth Herald of 18 September 1918, page 5: “The many friends of Police Officer Christopher Smart will be sorry to learn that he is ill with Spanish influenza at Commonwealth Pier, Boston.”   The Portsmouth Herald of 20 September 1918, page 1: “FUNERAL NOTICE. The funeral of Christopher Smart Jr. will be held from the home, No. 70 Mount Vernon Street Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock. Friends invited.”  The Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth NH, 19 September 1918, page 8: “FORMER POLICE OFFICER SMART DIED IN BOSTON. Was Ill Only A Few Days at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital. The sad news of the death of Christopher Smart Jr., a former member of the police force was received here today by his parents at the family home on Mt. Vernon Street. His death followed a case of Spanish influenza which developed into pneumonia and occurred at the St. Elizabeth hospital, Boston. He had been ill but a few days. His death is keenly felt by his many friends and acquaintances in this city especially in the police department from which he resigned to enter the service of his country. He enlisted in the reserve corps in February and was assigned to the training camp at Hingham, later he was transferred to Bumpkin Island and recenty from there to Commonwealth Pier. He was appointed as a driver of the police patrol wagon on Nov 13, 1915 and later was transferred as patrolman. Previous to entering the police department he followed the work of chauffeur and for a short time was a clerk at the market of the late John Holland. Deceased was 26 years of age and is survived by his parents, one brother Roland, and a sister Mrs. Arthur Sawyer.”   Portsmouth Herald, 11 Nov 1918, page 5; “Christopher Smart Jr., educated in the schools and North Church Sunday school and a member of one of its church families, and for more than two years a member of the local police force. He enlisted in the Naval Reserves and was sent to Commonwealth Pier. The pastor spoke of the strong personality of the young man; his cheer and his seemingly physical strength and his response to the call for service to humanity, and of his leaving a memory long to be revered.”  Christopher Smart Jr. was buried in Proprietors Cemetery, Portsmouth NH [See his photograph on that find-a-grave listing].
[26] John Tanco was born 16 April 1887 in Hungary [France, or Poland], son of John & Marie (Marton) Tanco. He immigrated with his parents in 1917 and resided in Ohio. He enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1915 and was assigned to Fort Constitution and Fort Stark in the Portsmouth NH area (see his military bio later).  While stationed here he married  8 Nov 1917 to Spouse: Bertha (Searles) Trudeau, daughter of  Jesse “Jess” & Charlotte (Barrand) Surles.  The Ohio Adjutant General List of Military Personnel gives the following biography: TANCO, JOHN | 587868, White | 2070 W. 78th St. | Cleveland Ohio | RA Columbus Bks, O., Jan 22/15. Br. France. 27 9/12 yrs. 2 Co. Ft Constitution NH to June 1/17: 4 Co CA Portsmouth Ft Stark NH to Sept 3/18: Btry B 73 Arty CAC to death. Pvt; Mec Nov 1/15; Sgt June 5/18; Corp Sept 3/18. Died of pneumonia Oct 2/18. Notified John Tanco, father, 2070 W. 78th St. Cleveland, O.   The U.S. Military Transport Passenger Lists shows John Tanco’s name, a member of Battery B, 73rd Artillery CAC on a ship, Scotian, leaving New York City for Europe on 25 September 1918, but his name is crossed out and “G.O. #84” (General Orders, memo #84). written in.  There is no other explanation I can think of except perhaps he already was showing signs of influenza and the army doctors wanted to keep him away from the close quarters of the ship.  John Tanco died a week later in Hoboken New Jersey of pneumonia, aged 31, probably in the military hospital there on 2 Oct 1918.  He is buried in Harmony Cemetery, Portsmouth NH.  His service is credited to Ohio.
[27] Stephen Henry Taylor* [see his photograph here] was born 15 June 1886 at Carbonear, Newfoundland. [Editor’s note: to date I have been unable to discover his parent’s or siblings names].  He may have been the Stephen Taylor found in the 1908 Portsmouth NH City Directory as a japanner boarding at 35 Dennett Street. He married Charlotta Jane “Lottia” Merill. daughter of Charles Andrew & Annie Ballard (Cross) Merrill. She was b 13 Aug 1894 in Lancaster PA and died 31 May 1956 in Lynn MA, and  is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery Lynn MA. They had a son. Oscar W. Taylor, b 21 June 1912 in Lowell MA, and who d. Nov 1915 in MA. He also buried in Pine Grove with his mother. She married 2 other times. Even at the time of Stephen H. Taylor’s death there was some confusion on the part of the newspaper and officials as to his relationship with Portsmouth as seen by this newspaper notice: Portsmouth Herald of 26 Nov 1918, page 4–“KILLED IN FRANCE. Name of Stephen H. Taylor of This City Appears in Latest Casualty List. The latest casualty list contains the name of Stephen H. Taylor as “Killed in Action” Oct. 11. The name of the soldier is not found in the city directory and teh Herald man after inquiries has been unable to learn where he lived in this city. Possibly he may have not llived in this city but a short time.”  Stephen H. Taylor’s Attestation Papers for the Canadian Military included a physical description, that he was 5 ft 5-3/4 inches tall, had a dark complexion brown eyes, dark brown hair, and was Methodist.  Other official records show: “TAYLOR,  Private,  S  H,  3030954,  87th  Bn.,  Canadian  Infantry  (Quebec  Regiment).  18  October  1918.  Age  32.  Husband  of  Lottie  M.  Taylor,  of  12,  Rockaway  St.,  Lynn,  Mass.,  U.S.A. Grave Ref. IX. D. 3.” He is buried in . Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France.

Photograph from, THE AMERICAN, 
A Sketch of Frederick Scates Towle,
M.D., Captain U.S.M.C., Front., 1920

[28]  Frederick Scates “Fred” Towle*  was born 28 December 1863 in Boston MA, son of grocers, Charles A. & Mira (Scates) Towle, grandson of Isaac & Rebecca (Locke) Towle, great-grandson of Jonathan & Alice (Pearsons) Locke, and 2nd great-grandson of Moses & Mary (Organ) Locke of Epsom NH. [Moses Lock was a private in Capt. Deaborn’s company, Col. John Stark’s Regiment during the American revolution and was pensioned] Frederick S. Towle had a sibling, Charles Frank Towle. The George Washington Medical School Alumni Directory shows that Frederick S. Towle was an 1893 Graduate of George Washington Medical School. He was a physician and surgeon. Ex-surgeon general N.H. National Guard; member [NH] Governor’s Council (1905-1907); vice pres. N.H. Medical Society 1916; member Warwick and Portsmouth Athletic Clubs. Lived 350 State Street, Portsmouth NH. There is an extensive biography, THE AMERICAN, A Sketch of Frederick Scates Towle, M.D., Captain U.S.M.C. that is linked here, as there is no need to duplicate what you can read on your own.  Frederick S. Towle married in 1884 to Martha Horn Perry, daughter of Alfred H. & Mary J. (Horn) Perry.  She died 13 Aug 1924 in Portsmouth NH. They had one child, Charles Augustus Towle, who had died 2 Oct 1916, aged 30 of typhoid fever.  Dr. Frederick S. Towle volunteered for the U.S. Medical Reserve Corps and was assigned to Base Hospital No. 3 at Rahway New Jersey. His living quarters were in Colonia [part of Woodbridge Township]. He died there on 10 Oct 1918 from accidental burns, incurred in burning building, occupied as quarters.  The newspaper of the day explains the tragedy. The Evening World (New York, New York) 10 Oct 1918, page 8. TWO OFFICERS DIE, SIX HURT IN FIRE AT ARMY HOSPITAL. Flames Destroy Quarters of Commissioned Men at Colonia, N.J. Camp Two army officers were burned to death and six others were injured in a fire early to-day in the officers’ quarters of the United States Army General Hospital No. 3 at Colonia, N.J. The dead are: Capt. Frederick S. Towle, Army, Medical Corps of Portsmouth NH, Capt. Warren T. Walker, Army Quartermaster Department, Syracuse NY. [a list of injured, burned cut, etc. followed]. He was buried in South Street Cemetery, Portsmouth NH.

Photograph from book, Camp Dix,
described and photographed by
Roger Batchelder, p38. 1918

[29] John Patrick White was born 18 July 1871 in New York City, a son of Irish immigrants, Owen & Hannah White.  He married 14 January 1913 in Maine (as her 3rd husband) to Anna W. “Annie” Sawyer. She was born 30 Dec 1868 Conway NH, daughter of James & Jane “Jennie” (Charles) Sawyer. She married 1st –?  She m2d) 5 Dec 1888 in Conway NH to Joseph Eastman, son of Stephen & Eveline D. (Nute) Eastman of Bartlett NH. John P. White and his wife lived in Portsmouth NH after their marriage .  She died 22 June 1944 i Portsmouth NH and is buried beside him. him.  John P. White spent most of his life in the U.S. Army.  He participated in both the Spanish American and Philippine Campaigns.  In 1900 he was serving with the 196th Hdqtrs Staff & Band, 43rd Infantry.  It is unknown if John P. White remained in the United States during World War I, or was send to Europe. His military papers describe him as having brown eyes, dark brown hair, and standing 5 f5 8-1/2 inches tall.  What is known, is that he died at Camp Dix (near Wrightstown, NJ) on 12 March 1919, aged 47.  The cause of death was cerebral arteriosclerosis.  The Portsmouth Herald newspaper of 17 March 1919, page 6. “OBSEQUIES. Lieut John P. White. The funeral of Lieut. John P. White U.S.A. who died at Camp Dix was held from the church of the Immaculate Conception on Saturday forenoon. Rev. Fr. Sullivan P.R. celebrating requiem mass. There was a large attendance and interment was in the South Cemetery. Fr. Sullivan reading the commitment service at the grave. He was given a full military funeral with a detachment of soldiers and officers from the fort acted as pall bearers. Undertaker W.P. Miskell was funeral director.”  A second document shows not too long after his funeral (3 April 1919), his remains were moved from one spot to another in cemetery by his wife, Mrs. Annie W. White, who was living at 84 Gates Street in Portsmouth NH. John P. White rests in Harmony Grove Cemetery, Portsmouth NH.

Major Randolph T. Zane
from the Washington Times newspaper
of 18 November 1918.

[30] Randolph Talcott Zane, was born 12 Aug 1887 in Philadelphia PA, son of Abram O. & Grace Helen (Southgate) Zane. He had sibings Grace, Mary and Frances.  By 1909 Randolph’s father, who was THEN Captain Abraham V. Zane of the U.S. Navy and later an Admiral, was the inspector for the Navy Yard at Portsmouth NH. The Swarthmore College yearbook shows Randolph Talcott Zane graduating that same year (1909) with a degree in Engineering.  The Zane family can be found in the 1910 U.S. Census of Kittery, York Co. Maine, residing in the Navy Yard.  At that time Randolph was a 2nd Lieut. in the U.S. Marine Corps.  The Portsmouth Herald (NH) Newspaper of 6 May 1910, page 8 printed this article: “Making A Good Officer. Lieut. Randolph T. Zane, U.S.M.C., son of Capt. A.V. Zane of the machinery division is attached to the guard of the U.S.S. New Hampshire and is recognized as one of the most popular and efficient young officers of the big sea fighter. He enjoys a wide acquaintance at this station among the civil and government employees, who have given him a warm welcome since the vessel arrived in port. He is one of the latest appointments to the marine corps.” In 1913 Randolph T. Zane married Barbara Stephens, daughter of William Dennis & Flora (Rawson) Stephens. She was born   13 August 1893 in Los Angeles California.  Barbara’s father William D. Stephens was a politician– 3 term member of the U.S House of Representatives 1911-1916 and 24th governor of California from 1917-1923).  They had one child, Marjorie Zane who was born 19 August 1914 in Los Angeles California. During WWI, then Captain Randolph T. Zane was sent to Europe. There he was cited for valour in action. The citation reads:” HQ 2nd Div. AEF France, July 5, 1918. Captain Randolph T. Zane, 6th Marines. While in command of American Forces in a captured town at midnight, June 7-8, he was attacked by heavy machine gun fire and by infantry. His successful handling of the defence and his personal example of bravery and coolness inspired the garrison to resist with such effect that, although the infantry were at one time within 30 feet of the town, the town was held and the enemy repulsed with heavy losses. The garrison sustained comparatively few casualties.” [from page 370 Book: With the Help of God and Few Marines, ” by Albertus Wright Catlin, Walter Alden Dyer, pub. 1919].  The Evening Star newspaper, Washington DC, 18 Nov 1918, page 2 later reported: “Maj. Randolph T. Zane, son of Rear Admiral and

San Francisco ship
dedication story of 12 Aug 1919
showing Mrs. Randolph T. Zane and daughter Marjorie.

Mrs. Zane, Octavis apartments, died of wounds received in action Oct 24. A letter received by the family from Gen. Coulter, his commander, brings the news. Maj. Zane was discharging his duties as a battalion commander in the Marine Corps when a German shell fell near him, causing his ear drum to burst. He was taken to a hospital, but operations proved fatal. He was posthumously awarded the distinguished service cross upon recommendation of Gen. Coulter, who si a Pennsylvania National Guardsman, and a friend of the dead man’s father. Maj. Zane was married in 1913 to Miss Barbara Stevens, daughter of Gov. Stevens of California. His brother, Capt. William S. Zane, is with the Atlantic Fleet.”  A second story gives more details: “The Washington Times of 18 Nov 1918, page 2 reported: “MAJOR ZANE DIES OF OLD WOUNNDS. When his company gallantly held the village of Bouresches in the face of German artillery and infantry attacks, during the battle of Belleau Wood, in June, Major Randolph T. Zane, United States marine corps, son of Admiral and Mrs. A.V. Zane, Octavia apartments, received wounds which caused his death on October 24, five months later. Major Zane was personally commended and decorated with a distinguished service cross by General Pershing following the battle. He was a captain at the time but received his commission as major later. Captain Zane of Company F., 6th Regiment was in command of the American forces in the town of Bouresches which was attacked at midnight of June 7-8 by heavy machine gun fire, artillery, and infantry, wrote Maj. General Barnett, marine corps commandant to Admiral Zane. His successful handling of the defense and his personal example of bravery and coolness inspired the garrison to resist with such effect that, although the infantry of the enemy was at one time within thirty feet of the town, the place was held and the enemy sustained heavy losses. the garrison suffered comparatively few casualties. In the battle Major Zane, then a captain, received a wound in the thigh, and a bursted ear drum, caused by a German shell, which killed a private and blew off the legs of the company sergeant who was standing by the captain. After a period in the hospital Major Zane was declared cured and made provost officer at Havre, France. Later abscesses formed in the injured ear and he died at a British base hospital after two operations. He is survived by his widow, Barbara Zane, daughter of Governor Stephens of California; his parents, Rear Admiral and Mrs. A.V. Zane, of Washington; a daughter, Marjory Zane; a brother, Paymaster William Zane, U.S.N., and two sisters, Miss Evelyn Zane, yeowomen in the United States Navy and Margaret Zane. Major Zane, who was thirty-one years old, was married in 1913 in Los Angeles. His widow, who is now in California, was well known in society here when her father was a member of Congress.”  Major Randolph T. Zane died on 24 October 1918 at Havre, France from woulds inflicted at Belleau Wood (on 6 June 1918). He is buried at  Somme American Cemetery, France.   On 12 Aug. 1919, the ship USS Zane (DD-337, later DMS-14 and AG-109) was launched at Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallejo, Calif. A Clemson-class destroyer named for Major Randolph T. Zane, USMC, who died in France in 1918, she began an illustrious career to include surviving the attack on Pearl Harbor.  The Randolph T. Zane Post No. 103 of the American Legion was formed in 1919, headquartered in San Francisco California to honor the memory of Major Randolph T. Zane.

[Editor’s Note: this story is part of an on-going series about heroic New Hampshire men and women of World War I.  Look here for the entire listing].

This entry was posted in History, Military of New Hampshire, NH WW1 Military and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to New Hampshire WWI Military: Heroes of Portsmouth

  1. Pingback: New Hampshire World War I Military: Heroes of The Great War | Cow Hampshire

  2. Pingback: First Portsmouth New Hampshire Casualty of World War 1: Lieutenant Frank Booma (1893-1918) | Cow Hampshire

  3. Amy says:

    We stopped for lunch in Portsmouth last June on our way to a wedding off the coast of Maine. it’s such a lovely old town. We didn’t see the memorials, but next time I will have to look for them. Your dedication to researching all these soldiers is so remarkable, Janice, as is your commitment to tell a story for each of them. I do hope that their relatives find your blog!

  4. John T. Pearson says:

    Captain Francis Arthur Scott body was returned to Portsmouth from France in October 1920 and it was buried in Calvary Cemetery in the lot of his parents Mark A. and Ellen Kelley Scott. See October 22, 1920 write up in the Portsmouth Herald , titled “Body of Captain Scott is on Way to Portsmouth”.

    • Janice Brown says:

      John, you are very kind, and I am grateful that you responded to this story, and gave me another resource. That article has his photograph, and though grainy, is still something that helps me put a face on the brave Capt. Francis Arthur Scott. Thank you.

      • John T. Pearson says:

        You are welcome, I was doing genealogical research on the children of Mark A. Scott and Ellen Kelley and came across your excellent article. My wife is a descendant of a granduncle of Captain Scott.

  5. Pingback: 2018 National Women’s History Month: NH WOMEN & WORLD WAR I | Cow Hampshire

  6. John T. Pearson says:

    Further, to Captain Francis Arthur Scott: The Portsmouth Herald of 10/22/1920 reported that when the body of Capt. Scott was returned to the US it would be buried in his parents lot in Calvary Cemetery, Portsmouth.When the body was actually returned to the US, the 5/28/1921 Portsmouth Herald reported it was to be sent for burial to Winchester, MA the hometown of his older brother, Joseph Alexander Scott. On June 7, 1921 as reported in the Winchester Star of June 10, 1921 (online at the Winchester Public Library) a full military funeral was held in Winchester, MA beginning with a solemn high mass. It was attended by cousins and other relatives from Portsmouth(Portsmouth Herald of June 7, 1921), and certainly by his brothers and sisters from elsewhere as well. The church was full (Ports. Herald 6/8/1921). He was buried at Calvary Cemetery in Winchester deduced from reports which said he was buried in Winchester and the fact when his brother, Joseph, died in 1945 he was buried in Calvary Cemetery, Winchester. I have written the Boston Archdiocese for confirmation of Capt. Scott’s burial place.

    • Janice Brown says:

      I created a findagrave monument for Capt. Francis Arthur Scott in Calvary Cemetery, Portsmouth NH, so if you discover that he was buried in Winchester MA, please let me know so I can change the cemetery location. In the mean time I’ll see if I can find the Winchester newspaper also. Thank you for reading and commenting, it would be wonderful to know his final resting place.

      • John T. Pearson says:

        Today, 3/26/2018, I received a response from the Archdiocese of Boston confirming that Captain Francis Arthur Scott born in Portsmouth was buried in Calvary Cemetery in Winchester, MA on June 4, 1921 in a lot purchased by his brother, Joseph A. Scott and where Joseph A. Scott and his wife, Johanna, are also buried. The specific location in the cemetery is Section T, Range 10, lot 11, Grave- 1 DD1.I can send you copies of the letter and attachments if you give me an email or land address. I thank you for the quality of your memorial to this soldier.

        • Janice Brown says:

          John, you are wonderful. I found his obituary that mentioned burial also, and I moved his Find-a-grave site to the correct cemetery. A credit to you on the page for the discovery. Thank you so much.

  7. John T. Pearson says:

    The Portsmouth Herald of June 8, 1921, “Funeral Service Of Late Capt. Scott- Hero Officer Buried With Military Honors at Winchester” definitely says he was buried in Winchester. His funeral mass was at St. Mary’s church in Winchester, so it definitely points to RC Calvary Cemetery in Winchester and his brother who is buried there must have made the arrangements. I will contact you when I receive the response from the Archdiocese of Boston.

  8. John T. Pearson says:

    Captain Francis Arthur Scott had a brother Mark Augustus Scott born in 1887 in Portsmouth, NH sometime after his father died in 1892 the family moved to Lynn, MA and were in the 1900 US Census in Lynn.Sometime thereafter Mark A. Scott became a policeman in Waterbury, CT. He signed up for the draft in June of 1917 and was called up in September of 1917. I have done a complete history of him in WWI. He survived the war and also was on occupation duty in Luxembourg until returning home in July of 1919. Upon returning home he resumed his career as a policeman.I have a written history of his WWI service I can send you. I thought you might be interested because there were two
    Scott brothers that served and one survived..

  9. Pingback: 100 Years Ago: “Gold Star Women” Nurses of World War I | Cow Hampshire

Leave a Reply