From 1897 to 1927, a span of thirty years, Charles Henry Shaw photographed the people of Manchester. His studio for most of that time was at 895 Elm Street, though briefly it was also located at 68 Opera Block. Charles and his wife Ida (Doughty) Shaw lived in the city and raised their children while they lived on 510 Maple and 73 Malvern Streets. When their children grew and moved away, they spent the rest of their lives at 219 Walnut Street.
Charles H. & Ida (Doughty) Shaw had eight children. Though they were probably all photogenic, pictures of the three oldest children, taken by their father in his studio, were sold recently to me on Ebay: John or “Johnnie,” Royal F., and Mabel E. Possibly these were used to advertise the family’s photography business. I am also including the family’s genealogy here.
==PARTIAL GENEALOGY of CHARLES H. SHAW OF MANCHESTER, NH==
John Shaw, son of John & Catherine (?) Shaw, b 15 May 1825 in Scotland, died 21 June 1890 at Attleboro MA; m. abt 1849 to Paulina Dimond/Diamond. She b. abt 6 Feb 1827 at Fort Covington, NY, and died 3 December 1897 in Manchester NH. His occupation was dresser at birth of twin sons. He was a naturalized citizen in March of 1860 his address being Lawrence MA. In 1850 living in Windsor CT. They are buried in Woodlawn Cemetery at Attleboro MA. He served in the Union Army during the Civil War, Company B, 4th MA Infantry Regiment as a private, enlisting 26 Aug 1862 from Lawrence MA
Some Dimonds of Ft. Covington NY, probably related to Paulina Dimond
1850 US Census > CT > Hartford > Windsor
John Shaw 25 M cotton worker Scotland
Paulina Shaw 22 F NY
George Shaw 1 M Mass
Alvin Pratt 22 M cotton worker Vermont
Miranda Davidson 57 F Conn
1865 Census > Methuen, Essex Co. MA
John Shaw M 40y Scotland
Paulina Shaw F 37y NY
George S. Shaw 16y MA
Clara R. Shaw 9y MA
Charles H. Shaw 11m MA
John R. Shaw 11m MA
1880 US Census > Rhode Island > Providence > Lincoln
John Shaw 55 Night Watchman
Paulina Shaw 52
Charles H. Shaw 15
John R. Shaw 15
Annie D. Shaw 13
Christina Spiers 14
Children of John & Paulina (Diamond/Dimond) Shaw:
1. George S. Shaw, b abt 1849 Chicopee MA, d. 13 Feb 1901 in Tewksbury MA; m. 25 Oct 1868 Portsmouth NH to Arabella B. Jones, dau of George. She b. Portsmouth NH. His death record states he was an artist.
2. John Dimond Shaw, b. 16 May 1852 Wisconsin, recorded in Holyoke MA
3. Clara R. “Carrie” Shaw, b 22 Apr 1856 Boston MA; She m. 17 Dec 1876 in Attleboro MA to William H. Goff, son of Albert & Ruth (Hunt) Goff
4. B. Frank Shaw b 20 May 1859 Lawrence MA; he d. 7 May 1862 age 2 in Lawrence MA of measles
5. Anna C. Shaw, b. 15 July 1862 Lawrence MA, d. 1 July 1863 in Lawrence MA 11 months old of lung fever
6. John B. Shaw, b. 5 June 1864 twin; he d. 10 July 1934 in Goffstown NH at the Hillsborough Co Hospital where he had been an inmate for 4 years; buried Pine Grove Cemetery; he m. 6 Feb 1922 in Manchester NH to Lillian Pearson-Dow, dau of David & Lillian (Wolf) Pearson. She was a widow of — Dow.
7. + Charles H. Shaw, b. 5 June 1864 twin
8. Annie D. Shaw b 15 March 1867 in Portsmouth NH
Charles Henry Shaw, son of John & Paulina (Dimond) Shaw, b. 5 June 1864 in Lawrence MA, and died 16 October 1932 in Manchester NH; m. 22 May 1891 in Boston, Suffolk Co. MA to Ida E. Doughty, daughter of John & Marianne “Mary E.” (Barteau) Doughty. She b. March 1869 in Leonardville, Deer Island New Brunswick, Canada, and d. 24 March 1928 in Manchester NH. At the time of their marriage he was a photographer and she was a seamstress.
1900 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester > 234 East High Street
Charles H. Shaw W M June 1865 35 Married 12 yrs MA Unk NY photographer
Ida E. Shaw wife F March 1869 31 married 12 yrs 4 ch 4 living NB Canada, Unk Unk
John D. Shaw, son WM Feb 1889 11 single MA MA New Brunwick
Royal F. Shaw son W M Feb 1892 8 single MA MA NB
Mabel E. Shaw daughter W F Feb 1895 4 single NH MA NB
Willard E. Shaw son W M Apr 1898 2 single NH MA NB
Annie Guyciker boarder W F Dec 1888 11 single NH Germany Germany
Eddie Guyciker boarder W M Apr 1890 10 single NH Germany Germany
1910 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester >
Charles H. Shaw Head MA Scotland NY 45 married 21 yrs photographer studio
Ida E. Shaw Wife 41 married 21 yrs 8 ch 7 living Can Can Can
Royal F. Shaw son M W 18 single MA MA Can Laborer Woolen Mill
Mabel E. Shaw Daughter Dau F W 15 single NH
Willard E. Shaw son M W 11 single NH
Amos G. Shaw son son M W 8 single NH
Chester E. Shaw son W M 6 single NH
Florence L. Shaw F W 3 single NH
William P. Shaw M W 4/12 single NH
Carl Erickson Lodger W M 17 single NH Sweden Sweden Needle Maker, Factory
*not in 1893 directory*
1894 Manchester City Directory
Shaw, Charles H. photographer, 936 Elm, h 230 East High Street
1895 Manchester City Directory
Shaw, Charles H. (Reed & Shaw) photographer, 895 Elm Street, house
315 Concord St.
1897 Manchester City Directory
Photographer: Shaw, Charles H. 895 Elm.
Shaw, Charles H. photographer 895 Elm, house 510 Maple
1908 Manchester City Directory
Shaw, Charles H. photographer 895 Elm house 73 Malvern
1911-1913 Manchester City Directory
Shaw, Charles H. photography 68 Opera blk house 73 Malvern
Shaw, Royal F clerk 1133 Elm boards 73 Malvern
[1913 Concord Directory shows Shaw, Royal F. clk, 99 No. Main, h (Manchester, NH)
1917 Shaw Charles H. (Ida E) photographer h 219 Walnut
1923-1927 Shaw, Charles H (Ida E) photographer h 219 Walnut
*Not in 1928-1930
Children of Charles H. & Ida E. (Doughty) Shaw:
1. John D. Shaw b 16 Feb 1889 Gloucester MA; d. 8 July 1903 in Manchester NH, age 14, of appendicitis. Buried Pine Grove Cemetery.
2. Royal Frank Shaw b 16 Feb 1892 MA, died 30 August 1952; m. 29 March 1917 in Sunset Hill Cemetery, Chautauqua NY to Jessie Lola Hughes, dau of George & Iona (McDole) Hughes; buried Lakewood, Chautauqua NY. In 1940 he was a landscape gardener.
3. Mabel E. Shaw b Feb 1895 Manchester NH, d Sep 1975 in Springfield VT; she m. 6 June 1935 in Grasmere (Goffstown) NH to George A. Hart, son of Arthur & Grace E. (George) Hart. He was b. in New Boston NH. At the time of their marriage he was a salesman living in Boston MA and she was a public stenographer in Manchester NH.
4. Willard Elmer Shaw b April 1898 NH; m. 17 Dec 1921 in Winchester NH to Mildred Elizabeth Hood, dau of Andrew G. & Jane (Flood) Hood. They had a daughter, Barbara L. Shaw b abt 1925 NH. He was a public stenographer res. 366 Hanover street in 1940. The 1946 Manchester City Directory shows him owner of The Letter Shop, a court stenographer, 1015 Elm Street rm 411, house at Candia. She d. abt 1958, he died in 1975. They are buried in Pine Grove Cemetery.
5. Amos Gale Shaw, b abt 1901, d. 3 Nov 1956 in Manchester NH; buried Pine Grove Cemetery, Manchester NH; jeweler; he m. 4 January 1923 in Manchester NH to Natalie Fisher, dau of Alfred H. & Edith (Clark) Fisher
6. Chester Earl Shaw, b abt 1904 NH; m. 19 Oct 1925 in Nashua NH to Martha V. Taylor, dau of William W. & Elizabeth (Nimmins) Taylor
7. Florence L. Shaw, b abt 1907 NH; m. 19 Aug 1928 in Manchester NH to Raymond A. Labelle, son of Damien & Eva B. (Demers) Labelle
8. William P. Shaw, b abt 1910 NH; he m. 6 July 1931 in Manchester NH to Beatrice Agnew, dau of Charles & Julia (McMahon) Agnew
Charles Henry Shaw was my great grandfather and his daughter Florence was my grandmother. She died June of 1984 from Alzeimers. She lived a good life and had 2 children. My dad Richard, and my aunt Ruth, both deceased. Would love the original photos if you are willing to sell.
Christine, I never sell the photographs I use in these blog posts. Any photographs not already personal I purchase (mostly) on Ebay–so someone’s family decided to sell them. In order to keep them “always public,” I will be donating these photographs, along with many others I have collected to the Manchester Historic Association in Manchester NH, since that is where he had his studio. Before I do that, if you would like a higher quality scan of the photographs I would be happy to provide them, and let me know if your gmail account receiving this reply will handle a large file.
My email can handle a large file. I’m glad the photos are going somewhere they can be shared. Are those the only pictures you have?
The photographs rescanned and in high quality are too big for me to send to you. I will place them in DROPBOX and invite you to pick them up. Hope that works for you. Let me know when you have them. And yes those were the only Shaw photographs I saw for sale at the same time.
LOVE THE PICTURES WOULD OF LOVE LIVING IN THAT TIME BUT I WOULD NEED A TV KATHY LABELLE
where these shaw’s related to george c shaw born 1841 • maine New Hampshire, United States and died in 8 MAY 1884 • Levant, Penobscot, Maine, United States . trying to locate a grave or inf on his daughter Mabel I shaw JAN 1872 • Levant, Penobscot, Maine, United States and died around 21 NOV 1903 • Exeter Center, Penobscot County, Maine, possibly been buried else where .
This is so great. Thank you for creating this page. Charles was my great-grandfather. His son Chester was my grandfather.