Yes, you guessed it. Another photograph came into my possession–actually I bought it on Ebay–this time of Alfred Spalding. The Spalding family of southern New Hampshire area was particularly prolific, and so it is not always an easy task to sort them out. His story is not unusual for the place nor the time. Alfred Spalding was an average man who led an average life. This photograph was taken in the studio of E.W. Johnson in Nashua, NH.
Alfred Spalding was born in Merrimack, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire in 1806 into a farming family. Some of the earlier ancestors were sea-faring men, and so Alfred as a young man did the same, as did one of his sons. By 1850 he married and had turned to farming in his home town of Merrimack, New Hampshire. In 1860 he ran a boarding house in nearby Nashua, on the corner of Spring and Eldridge Streets. Perhaps when his wife died in 1871 he no longer had the heart for it, for he gave up the boarding house, and for several years lived at 76 Chestnut Street in Nashua NH.
Alfred Spalding married Amy Ditson from Wilton, Maine and had five children. When he died in 1887 at Thetford, Vermont no doubt he was then living with his daughter Frances “Fanny” (Spalding) Sanborn and her family. Alfred, his wife Amy, and several of his children returns home for their final rest, for they are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery in Nashua, New Hampshire.
Genealogical details on Alfred, his wife, and children is shown directly below. If you are a close relative and have additional photographs to share, I enjoy posting them here.
——GENEALOGY OF ALFRED SPALDING OF Merrimack & Nashua NH—–
Edward-1 & Rachel Spalding of Braintree & Chelmsford MA
Andrew & Hannah (Jefts) Spalding
Henry & Elizabeth (Lund) Spalding
Henry & Lucy (Proctor) Spalding
Samuel & Sarah (Woods) Spalding
Silas & Betsy (Hills) Spalding
Alfred Spalding, son of Silas & Betsy (Hills) Spalding, grandson of Samuel & Sarah (Woods) Spalding, born 4 Oct 1806 in Merrimack, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire, died 19 June 1887 in Thetford, Orange Co. Vermont. He married 20 November 1836 in Kennebec Maine to Amy “Anna” Ditson, daughter of John & Martha Ditson. She was b. 9 July 1808 in Wilton, Franklin County, Maine, and died 12 June 1871 in Nashua NH. She is buried beside her husband in Woodlawn Cemetery, Nashua NH. He went to sea for a few years when a young man but returned to Merrimack where he farmed. He, his wife and several of his children are buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Nashua, New Hampshire. See FIND-A-GRAVE LISTING [SEE HIS PHOTOGRAPH AT TOP OF PAGE]
1850 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Merrimack
Alfred Spalding 42 Farmer 1500 NH
Amy Spalding 40 Maine
Mary Ann Spalding 12 NH
Emily F. Spalding 11 NH
George C. Spalding 8 NH
Henry S. Spalding 7 NH
Charles M. Spalding 4 NH
1860 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Nashua > BOARDING HOUSE
Alfred Spalding 50 M Boarding House 200 NH
Emma O. Spalding 50 F House Keeper Maine
Mary A. Spalding 22 F works in Factory NH
Fanny C Spalding 20 F NH
George Spalding 18 M Sailor NH
Hery L. Spalding 17 M NH
Charles N. Spalding 14 M NH
[remainder of occupants are boarders]
1864 Nashua City Directory
Spalding, Afred, house Spring, corner Eldridge
1870 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Nashua
Spalding, Alfred 63 M W Laborer 2500 NH
Spalding, Ann 60 F W Keeping House Maine
Spalding Mary A 30 F W Milliner NH
Spalding George C 26 M W Sailor NH
Spalding Charles N. 22 M W works in cotton mill NH
Wright, Wilber F 30 M W Pattern Maker Massachusetts
1876 Nashua City Directory
Spalding, Alfred House 76 Chestnut Street
1880 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Nashua > 76 Chestnut Street
Spalding, Charles M WM 33 working cotton Mill NH NH MA
Spalding, Laura E W F 36 Keeping House VT NH VT
Spalding, Alfred WM 73 Father Laborer NH NH NH [widow]
Spalding, Mary A 41 sister housekeeper NH NH Maine
Spalding, George C W M 38 Brother Sailor NH NH Maine
Children of Alfred & Amy (Ditson) Spalding:
1. Mary Ann Spalding, she was b. 17 December 1837 in Merrimack, Hillsborough Co. NH and d. 10 March 1917 at St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua, NH of influenza. She married 30 Oct 1880 in Boston MA to Theadore Roziene, son of Thor & Fredericka (?) Roziene. He was b abt 1834 in Sweden. He was an attorney, of San Antonio TX at the time of his 2nd marriage. He had married 1st) 28 May 1854 in Chelsea MA to Henriette W. Ifiendroff of Boston MA, dau of Charles. His occupation at his 1st marriage as apothecary. She was a milliner according to the 1870 census.
2. Frances Emily “Fanney” Spalding, b 20 Aug 1839 Merrimack NH; died 6 May 1921 in Thetford VT, age 81. She m. Thomas D. Sanborn, son of Thomas G. & Mary (Leighton) Sanborn. He was b. 31 Dec 1836 in Grafton, NH and died 18 April 1907 at the Malden Hospital in Malden MA, age 70. He is buried in Thetford Centre VT. A son, Harley C. Sanborn was b. 10 Oct 1872 in Thetford VT, and d. 12 Nov 1961 in Thetford VT, and m. 29 June 1904 to Viola P. Scribner. [They also had a daughter Maud Marion, b. 17 Jan 1874 in Thetford VT, d. 1899].
3. George Clinton Spalding, b. abt 1841 in Merrimack NH, died 20 January 1916 in East Tilton NH; m. 7 Oct 1888 in Tilton NH to Pamelia C. Gile, daughter of Miles & Sally (Brown) Leavitt. She b 1 Feb 1841 Gilford or Meredith NH, and d. 24 Aug 1936 in Northfield NH. She was buried in Danforth Cemetery in Tilton NH. During the Civil War he enlisted in the United States Naval Rendezvous at New Bedford MA on June 1, 1863 for 1 year. He was a sailor.
4. Henry Servetus Spalding, b 15 July 1843 in Merrimack NH, died 9 January 1923 in Chicago IL; m. 5 July 1871 in Milford Indiana to Charlotte Aurelia Marsh of Chicago IL. Leather Salesman. Buried Mt. Hope Cemetery. They had 4 daughters: Mabel, Helen Louise, Alice Marsh, and Charlotte Eunice “Dollie.” During the Civil War, Henry enlisted 15 August 1862 in the 21st Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteers (under General Rosecrans). He was discharged on 15 July 1865.
5. Charles Marion Spalding, b. 30 July 1846 in Merrimack, Hillsborough Co. NH, d. 7 March 1917 in Nashua, NH of acute pleuro pneumonia. He married 4 Oct 1876 in Nashua NH to Laura E. Hale, daughter of Daniel B. & Susan H. (Miles) Hale.
Spalding Memorial: A Genealogical History of Edward Spalding, of Massachusetts Bay, and His Descendants, by Samuel Jones Spalding
The ALFRED SPALDING described in this story is *NOT* the same Alfred Spalding who served in the Union Army, Company C., 5th NH Infantry during the Civil War. The Alfred Spalding who enlisted as a private, promoted to corporal in Company C., 5th NH Infantry Regiment, was born in 1840 in Plainfield NH. He married 5 March 1865 in Meriden NH to Fannie W. Root, daughter of Nathan & Sarah (Colby) Root. She was b. 1841 in Weare NH and died 26 March 1917 in Dunstable MA. She received her husband’s pension.