There are many Kane, Kean, and Keane families who hail from pre-Civil War New Hampshire. A photograph of “Sadie Kane” popped up for sale on E-bay and thinking her face was a lovely one, I bought it, determined to research who she was. Born Sarah A. Kane in 1870 in North Weare, New Hampshire, her parents were Irish immigrants who met and married on “this side of the pond.”
Sadie grew up and married in the town of Weare NH to George A. Prichard of Warner and Hillsborough, New Hampshire. She had three children, but like many other women of her day, where infant mortality was high, she lost two of them, both sons. Her daughter Doris lived and thrived in Hillsborough, New Hampshire, and in turn married to John Everett Bean. Sarah “Sadie” (Kane) Prichard was a housewife, a mother, and I am sure a useful and productive member of the communities in which she lived.
====PARTIAL GENEALOGY OF “SADIE” KANE====
John Kean, b abt 1806 in Ireland; came from Ireland to Weare as an old man, living with his son Jeremiah in Weare NH [see 1870 census below]
https://archive.org/stream/historyofwearene00litt#page/926/mode/2up [history of Weare NH–Kean]
Children of John & ? (?) Kean of Ireland:
1. +Dennis Kean, b. in Ireland (see below)
2. +Jeremiah Kean, b. abt 1835 in Ireland
Dennis Kane/Kean, son of John, Kean, was b. in Ireland, but came to North Weare NH when a young man and married Hannah Murphy. She was born in 1830 in Ireland, and died 1 October 1895 at Lawrence, MA. He was a soldier in the 9th NH Volunteers during the Civil War and died in the service at Covington KY 30 August 1863.
Children of Dennis & Hannah (Murphy) Kane/Kean:
1. John Kane/Kean, b. 30 July 1856 in Weare NH, d. at Manchester NH
2. William Kean, b. 2 May 1858, died young.
3. Nora Jane Kean, b. 24 Sep 1859 at Weare NH; d. in Manchester NH
4. Hannah J. Kane, b. Sep 1861 N. Weare NH and d. 9 January 1877, age 17 yrs 3 months 15 days of consumption
Jeremiah “Jerry” “Jere” Kane, b. abt 1835 in Ireland. He died before 1896 in Weare NH He married 30 May 1860 in Manchester NH to Bridget(t) H. “Ellen” O’Brien. She was b abt 1830 and died 10 May 1894 in Weare NH. She was buried in Manchester NH. Listed in US Civil War Draft Registration records. He served as a private in the Union Army, 4th NH Regiment (Infantry). According to History of Weare NH, he lived at Rockland, removed to Tilton NH (1880), and later at Manchester NH.
1870 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Weare
Kane, Jerry 35 M W Farmer 1500/450 Ireland
Kane, Bridgett 39 F W Keeping House Ireland
Kane, John 9 M W NH
Kane, Nellie 8 F W NH
Kane, John 64 M W Farm Hand Ireland [b abt 1806 Ireland]
1880 US Census > NH > Belknap > Tilton
Jere E. Kane 41 Ireland engineer cotton mill
Bridget Kane 43 wife Ireland
John H. Kane 19 son NH works on Farm
Nellie M. Kane 18 dau NH works in cotton mill
Katie E. W F 16 dau NH works in cotton mill
Sarah A. Kane 9 dau NH
Children of Jeremiah & Bridget (O’Brien) Kane:
1. John H. Kane, b abt 1861 NH
2. Nellie Mary Kane, b abt 1862-1868 in Weare NH; she m. 16 June 1897 in Weare NH to Thomas M. Conway, son of Thomas & Margaret (Frewley) Conway.
3. Kate/Katie E. Kean, b abt 1864 Weare NH; m. 28 October 1895 in Manchester NH to Charles H. Newry, son of Peter & Delia Newry. 1.
4. +Sarah A./M. “Sadie” Kane, b 10 October 1870 in Weare NH
George A. Prichard, son of William & Lynda (Templeton) Prichard b. 3 Nov 1863 in Hillsborough NH, and died after 1933. He married 2 March 1892 at Henniker NH to Sadie M. Kane, dau of Jerry & Ellen (O’Brien) Kane, b. 10 October 1870 in N. Weare NH, and died 2 January 1933 in Hillsborough (town) NH. He was a mill operator. She was buried in Deering NH. In 1920 census his occupation was boarder in a hoisery mill.
[Prichard family in History of Hillsborough NH]
1900 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Hillsboro
Prichard, George A. Head M W Nov 1864 35 married 8 yrs NH NH NH WPA Laborer
Prichard, Sarah A. wife W F Oct 1870 29 married 8 yrs 1 ch 1 living NH Ire Ire
Prichard, Doris J. dau W F Aug 1892 7 single NH NH NH
Children of George A. & Sadie A. (Kane) Prichard:
1. +Doris Isabelle Prichard, b. 13 Aug 1892 Hillsboro NH
2. son stillborn, 9 June 1896 Hillsboro Bridge
3. son stillborn, 10 April 1897 Hillsboro Bridge NH
Doris Isabelle Prichard, daughter of George A. & Sadie M. (Kane) Prichard, was born 13 August 1892 in Hillsboro (town) NH, and died 17 November 1987 in Contoocook, Merrimack Co. NH, and is buried in Hopkinton NH. She married 20 February 1917 in Hillsboro NH to John Everett Bean, son of Herbert J. & Mary J. (Morrison) Bean of Warner NH. He was b. 25 Dec 1887 at Johnstown NY and died 10 October 1955 in Hanover NH. Manufacturer at the time of his marrige. His father was a hotel proprietor in Warner [mother from Johnstown NY]. In 1942 he was employed by the Works Projects Administration (WPA) on Silver Street in Manchester NH, residing in Contoocook NH. He is buried in Hopkinton NH
1940 US Census > NH > Merrimack > Henniker > Route 103
Bean John Head M W 52 married 4 yrs HS, b. NY, interviewer for WPA
Bean, Doris wife F W 47 married 3 yrs HS, NH
Bean John Jr. son M W 17 single NH
Bean, George son M W 11 single NH
Bean, Drusilla dau F W 9 single NH
Bean, Robert son M W 6 single NH
Bean, Sara dau F W 4 single NH
Baker John Lodger M W 41 single Maine
Annis Eva Lodger F W 80 widow NH
Annis, Cornelia Lodger F W 57 single NH
Children of J. Everett & Doris I. (Prichard) Bean:
1. John E. Bean Jr., b 10 July 1922 NH, died 25 April 2001 Merrimack Co. NH; military service World War II, enlisted 10 December 1942, 1 yr of college at that time; lived in Concord NH starting in 1993 at 66 Center Street #P. ; buried NH State Veterans Cemetery, Boscawen NH: John E. Bean , Jr., captain, Army, World War II, Korea, Concord, C2, 16C.
2. George Bean, b abt 1929 NH
3. Drusilla J. Bean, b abt 1931 NH; m. Joseph N. Cox; resided Henniker, Concord , Bennington (1996) NH; in 1955 stenographer for NHS Dept. of Health
4. Robert Bean, b abt 1934 NH
5. Sara Bean, b abt 1936 NH