It is estimated that 2,500 Americans and 3,000 other Allied troops died on D-Day,”
according to the D-Day Museum. Among them was a 21-year old Manchester man, Charles William Blanchard.
He was the only son of Harry Dwight & Agnes (Johnson) Blanchard, born 18 August 1922 in Manchester, Hillsborough Co., NH. He grew up at 139 Knowlton Street (1930) and at 121 Oakdale Avenue (1940+). He attended local Manchester schools and was a high school graduate (probably of Central High School). Charles W. Blanchard enlisted on 6 November 1942 and was inducted into the U.S. Army on the 20th of the same month. He was assigned to HQ Company 175th Infantry.
According to official reports of the 175th Infantry, he would have been among the men to land on the beaches of France on 7 June 1944. His rank was that of Sgt. T/4.
His burial marker records states he was killed in action, with his death date shown as 16 June 1944, but he probably died of wounds that he received. His grand-niece, Judy Hardy, wrote, “I remember my Mother talking about a letter that his family received from a family in France. Apparently he was wounded during the invasion and he somehow ended up with this French family. They hid him in their cellar–they could not get help for him because of German troops in the area and he died. They said in the letter that they did all that they could for him and he did not die alone.” Charles W. Blanchard was awarded a Purple Heart posthumously.
When the war was over, Charles W. Blanchard’s body was returned home, and he was buried in Pine Grove Cemetery on 19 May 1948. A small, bronze military marker was placed at the spot, his parents joining him in 1964 and 1979.
==PARTIAL GENEALOGY of Charles William Blanchard of Manchester NH==
John Blanchard, b abt 1784-1789 in United States, d. 9 day July 1871, abt 87  years at Phillipsburg, Quebec, Anglican Church. John Blanchard, farmer, married 9 April 1821 Catherine Platt at Phillipsburg Quebec Anglican Church. She b. abt 1800 in Quebec Canada, and d. 10 September 1874.
1825 Census of Lower Canada > St. Armand (seigniory), Bedford, Quebec, Canada
John Blanchard 6 / – / 2 / – / – | 1 – | – 1 | – – – – 2 1 1 – -.
6 total family members, 2 members under 6
1 male >18 < 20 single
1 male >24 < 40 married
2 female <11 yrs of age
1 female >14 <45 single
1871 Census of Canada > Quebec > Missisquoi > St. Armand
John Sen.[ior] Blanchard 82
Catharine Blanchard 71
Children of John & Catherine (Platt) Blanchard:
1. +John Blanchard Jr., b abt 1827 in Quebec, Canada.
John Blanchard Jr., son of John Blanchard, b. abt 1827 Quebec Canada, and died 22 Aug 1882; He m. 6 March 1851 in St. Armand-West to Jane Elizabeth Olds. She b. November 1831 in Canada and died 23 Oct 1865.
6 March 1851 Marriage
(Image 33) Register of the Marriage between John Blanchard Junior Farmer of St Armands West aged twenty four years and Miss Jane Olds? [ILLEGIBLE] of St Armands west aged nineteen years this sixth day of March One Thousand eight Hundred and fifty one F. N. Jersey, Minister Husband John Blanchard Wife Jane E. Olds? [ILLEGIBLE] Witnesses: Gorge Olds; Eliza Stewart? [ILLEGIBLE]
1871 Census of Canada > Quebec > Missisquoi > St. Armand West
John Blanchard 46 b PQ W. Methodist Farmer
George Blanchard 18 ALL CHILDREN BORN PQ
Hannah Blanchard 16
Charles Blanchard 14
Emily Blanchard 12
Orin Blanchard 10
Nella Blanchard 7
Lucy Blanchard 48* [unsure if this is a wife or a sister]
Mary Blanchard 6
Children of John & Jane E. (Olds) Blanchard:
1. George Alma Blanchard, b abt 1853 in St. Armand, PQ, Canada; d. 24 Nov 1908 in Lynn, Massachusetts; He married 23 June 1879 in Alburgh VT to Eva Augusta Bast.
2. Hannah Eliza Blanchard, b. abt 1854 St. Armand PQ Canada; married 08 Mar 1875, Willard Olds Gibson in the Wesleyan Methodist Church of the Village of Philipsburg, Missisquoi County, Canada East, Province of Canada.
3. Charles W. Blanchard, b abt 1856 St. Armand PQ Canada; m. 30 Sep 1903 in Swanton VT to Alfrida Maria Sunden.
4. Emily Blanchard, b abt 1858 St. Armand PQ Canada; m. 28 July 1878 in Swanton VT to I.M. Ferris.
5. +Orrin Dewhite Blanchard, b. abt 1862 in St. Armand West, PQ, Canada
6. Nellie Vienna Blanchard, “Nella”, b. October 1863, d. 26 September 1932; m. 26 Dec 1883 in Swanton, Franklin Co. VT to George Lester Westover, son of George Nelson & Nancy (Dewar) Westover. He b. 3 Oct 1853 in Alburgh, Grand Isle County VT; He had m1st) 22 Apr 1882 to M.O. Dean. Children (WESTOVER): Ella Mae, George Arthur, Ernest Wymon and Florence Irene. She is buried at Forest Hill Avenue Cemetery, Lynn MA
7. Mary Blanchard, b. abt. 1865 St. Armand West, PQ, Canada
Orrin Dewhite Blanchard, son of John & Jane (Olds) Blanchard, b. abt 1862 in St. Armand West Canada; he married 27 October 1883 in Acton MA to Mary Jand Green. She b abt 1862 in PEI, Canada.
[message board post about this family]
1891 Census of Canada > Quebec > Missisquoi > St. Armand West
Orin D. Blanchard 29 b Quebec Que Que Methodist Farmer
Mary J. Blanchard 29 b PEI PEI PEI wife
John R. Blanchard 6 Que Que PEI son
Nellie L. Blanchard 5 Que Que PEI dau
Edward P. Blanchard 4 Que Que PEI son
Mary P. Blanchard 2 Que Que PEI dau
George G. Blanchard 2/12 Que Que PEI son
Callaghan John J M 19 b England, Ire England Farm Hand
1901 Census of Canada > Quebec > Missisquoi, Stanbridge Station
Orin D Blanchard 38 Head 21 July 1862 PQ Head
Mary J. Blanchard 39 8 February 1862 PEI wife
John P. Blanchard 16 27 August 1884 PQ son
Nellie L. Blanchard 15 17 March 1886 PQ dau
Edward P. Blanchard 14 13 March 1887 PQ son
Mary P. Blanchard 12 9 Nov 1888 PQ dau
George G/I. Blanchard 10 15 February 1891 PQ son
Charles W. Blanchard 8 17 Sep 1892 PQ son
Orin D. Blanchard 6 17 May 1894 PQ son
Annie M. Blanchard 4 26 Sep 1896 PQ dau
Richard H. Blanchard 2 4 Oct 1896 [should read 1898] PQ son
1921 Census of Canada > Quebec > Missisquoi, Phillipsburg Village
Orin Blanchard 56
Mary Blanchard 56 PEI England Que
George Blanchard 30
Olier/Olive Williams 9 [b abt 1912 Quebec, granddaughter]
Phillipsburg Quebec / St. Armand / Highgate Springs VT border
Children of Orrin & Mary (Green) Blanchard:
1. Robert Orin/John P. Blanchard b. 27 Aug 1884 PQ ; m. 30 Apr 1905 in Manchester NH to Delvina May Plante, dau of Paul & Valena (St. Pierre Plante. She b abt 1885
2. Nellie Vienna Blanchard b 17 March 1886 Phillipsburg PQ Canada; m. 26 Dec 1883 in Swanton, Franklin Co. VT to George Lester Westover, son of George Nelson & Nancy (Dewar) Westover. He b. 3 Oct 1853 in Alburgh, Grand Isle County VT; He had m1st) 22 Apr 1882 to M.O. Dean. Children (WESTOVER): Ella Mae, George Arthur, Ernest Wymon and Florence Irene. She is buried at Forest Hill Avenue Cemetery, Lynn MA.
3. Edward P. Blanchard, b. 13 March 1887 Phillipsburg, PQ Canada; On 1917 WWI registration for Canada he lists his birth year as 1889; is single living in Manitoba Hotel, Vancouver, Canada, a logger
4. Mary P. Blanchard b 9 Nov 1888 PQ Canada
5. George Green Blanchard, b. 15 February 1891 Phillipsburg, PQ Canada; in 1918 registered for military service in Canada; he married 15 July 1936 to Mary Anna (Annie) Lavergne, daughter of Narcisse & Rosina (Crispim) Lavergne.
6. Charles W. Blanchard b 17 Sep 1892 PQ
7. Orrin/Orin Oles/D. Blanchard, b. 17 May 1894 Canada; immigrated 1919 in 1920 US Census living in Manchester NH (boarding with brother Warren in household of Robert Blanchard); he married 4 Feb 1924 in Manchester NH to Alfridine Bisson, dau of Stanislaus & Philomene (Vaillancourt) Bisson; he had a garage business [?Blanchard’s Garage]. [WW2 registration]
8. Annie M. Blanchard, b. 26 Sep 1896 PQ
9. Richard Harry Blanchard b 4 Oct 1896 Phillipsburg PQ Canada
10. Warren Benjamin Blanchard, b. 1 Apr 1903 Philipsburg Que Canada; in 1920 in Manchester NH [see below]
Richard “Harry” Dwight Blanchard, son of Orrin & Mary (Green) Blanchard b 4 October 1896 Phillipsburg Canada, d. 1964; m. 3 September 1919 in Manchester NH to Agnes Johnson, dau of William & Jane (Bradford) Johnson. She b. 14 June 1895 Manchester NH and died May 1979 in Manchester NH; He immigrated in 1914 and was naturalized. In 1940 shoe worker at J.F. McElwains. In 1964 still living at 121 Oakdale Avenue in Manchester NH. He served during WWI in the Air Service enlisting 14 August 1918 and discharge 17 January 1919.
1930 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester > 139 Knowlton St.
Harry Blanchard 34 Can-English C-E C-E shoeworker
Agnes Blanchard 36 NH Can-English NH
Dorothy Blanchard 9
Charles Blanchard 7
1940 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester > 121 Oakdale Ave
Harry J. Blanchard 43
Agnes Blanchard 44 b NH
Dorothy M. Blanchard 19 dau single 4yrs HS; Bookkeeper at Blanchard’s Garage
Charles W. Blanchard 17 NH
Barbara J. Blanchard 8 NH
Children of Harry D. & Agnes (Johnson) Blanchard:
1. Dorothy M. Blanchard, b 22 June 1920, d. 17 June 2002 Manchester NH
2. **Charles William Blanchard, b. Aug 18 1922 Manchester NH, died 16 Jun 1944 France; married 4 July 1942 in Manchester NH to Marilyn Pauline Duncan, dau of John & Hazel (Batten) Duncan. She was b. Hyde Park MA. No children. [This post was written about him, see above].
3. Barbara J. Blanchard, b abt 1932 NH
=====JOHNSON/JOHNSTON ANCESTRY of Charles W. Blanchard======
William J. Johnson/Johnston, son of John & May/Mary Johnson/Johnston, b Jan 1863 in Ireland or Scotland, died 22 April 1924 in Manchester NH, buried Pine Grove Cemetery; immigrated to the United States about 1882; He m1st) 13 Jan 1882 in Manchester NH to Eliza J. Strean/Strain, dau of Thomas & Mary Jane (Truesdale) Strain. She was b. in Belfast Ireland and d. [Eliza J. Johnson] 14 May 1892 age 28 in Manchester NH, buried Pine Grove Cemetery; m2nd) 27 April 1893 in Everett MA to Jane Bradford, dau of James & Jane Bradford. She b. June 1874 in Scotland. She died 15 April 1943 in Manchester NH.
1900 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > manchester > 333 Knowlton Street
Johnson, William Head W M Jan 1863 37 married 7 yrs Ire Ire Ire immigrated 1882 naturalized weaver cotton
Johnson, Jane wife W F June 1874 25 married 7 yrs 4 ch 4 living Ire Ire Ire immigrated 1890
Johnson, Mary J. dau W F May 1894 6 single NH Ire Ire
Johnson, Agnes dau W F June 1895 4 single NH Ire Ire
Johnson, William J son W M Dec 1898 1 single NH Ire Ire
Johnson, Margie dau W F Jan 1897 3 single NH Ire Ire
1910 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester > 339 Porter Street
Johnson William Head M W 45 m2x 16 yrs Scotland Scotland Scotland imm 1880 weaver Manchester Mill
Johnson Jane wfe F W 42 m1x 16 yrs 4 ch 4 living Scot Scot Scot
Johnson, Mamie dau W F 14 single NH Scot Scot
Johnson Agnes dau F W 13 single NH Scot Scot
Johnson Margerie dau F W 12 single NH Scot Scot
Johnson, William J. son M W 9 single NH Scot Scot
1920 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester > 339 Porter Street
Johnson, Wm, Head M W 45 married imm 1891 naturalized 1896 Scotland Scotland Scotland Sweeper Shoe shop
Johnson, Jane B wife F W 50 married imm 1889 naturalized 1896 Scotland Scotland Scotland
Johnson, Mamie dau F W 44 single NH Scotland Scotland
Johnson, Maggie dau F W 22 single NH Scotland Scotland
Johnson, William J. son M W 21 single NH Scotland Scotland
Agnes Johnston 1895-1979
Harry D. BLanchard 1896-1964
Mary Jane Johnston 1894-1943
Children of William J. & Jane (Bradford) Johnson:
1. Mary J. “Mamie” Johnson, b. May 1894 NH; d. 27 Aug 1943 in Manchester NH
2. Agnes Johnson, b. 14 June 1895 Manchester NH; m. Harry D. BLANCHARD [SEE Blanchard Genealogy ABOVE]
3. Margery/Margerie/Marjorie “Margie” “Maggie” Johnson, b. 31 January 1897 Manchester NH; m. Louis Sargent Clark, son of Alergnon Sargent & Philomene D. (Belisle) Clark. He was b. 6 May 1894 in Manchester NH. In 1942 living at 332 Belmont Street, shipper.
4. William James Johnson, b. 24 Dec 1898 Manchester NH; registered for WWI, address 339 Porter Street, mother Jane NOK; shoe cutter WH Griffin; he m 29 July 1942 in Nashua NH to Mary Carleton Michael, dau of Herbert W. & Mae L. (Pullen) Carleton. She was a divorcee. In 1940 living in Spencer, Worcester Co. MA with wife Mary and daughter “Barbara Michael” age 9 (b Mass) [WW1 registration]