Michael Kendall Flanagan, son of of Edward & Lorraine A. (Lane) Flanagan, was born December 16, 1951, and died 25 August, 2011 in Monkton, Maryland. He grew up in Manchester, New Hampshire,
and graduated from Manchester Memorial High School. I remember him from my class in high school–He was quiet and polite. When he spoke he was brief but articulate. Always in motion, he was a talented athlete.
At Memorial High School he played on the baseball, basketball and football teams. As co-captain of the school’s basketball team, he helped lead it to a Class L victory. Shown at left, in his 1971 high school yearbook, with Coach Poirier, and co-captain Ron Beaurivage.
He lettered for the UMass baseball team in 1972 and 1973, before going professional. He graduated from the UMass School of Education in 1975.
He was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in 1973, in the 7th round of the draft. This six foot tall, left hander pitched 18 seasons in the major leagues with the Orioles (1975-1987 and 1991-1992) and the Toronto Blue Jays (1987-1990). He won the 1979 American League Cy Young Award for the Orioles.
He played his first game on September 5, 1975 and his final game on September 27, 1992.
Retired as a player, he resided in Sparks MD, and served as a television analyst for Home Team Sports, on broadcasts of the Orioles games, and twice served as the team’s pitching coach (1996 and 1998) before he assumed his current duties. In December 2002, he was hired a vice president of baseball operations for the Baltimore Orioles. In October of 2005, he became executive vice president.
Awards and recognition were not over for Mike. On August 27th of 2007, he was presented the William A. “Bill” Shea Distinguished Little League Graduate Award. Mike played for South Little League in Manchester New Hampshire for five years and was a two-time all-star pitcher and first basemen even back then.
In 2010 Flanagan was hired by Mid-Atlantic Sports Network to work as a color analyst on Orioles telecasts.
Authorities found a body outside Flanagan’s home on Wednesday afternoon, August 25, 2011 and it was later determined to be the former left-handed pitcher. The Orioles confirmed Flanagan’s death the same night. Read more: http://www.wmur.com/news/28969457/detail.html#ixzz1W36mcfN7
The Orioles management extended their condolences to Mike’s wife, Alex; and daughters Kerry, Kathryn and Kendall.
His oldest child, Kerry, daughter of his first wife Kathy Walsh, was a test-tube baby.
Mike Flanagan Quotes:
About the Orioles in 1989: “Our problem was, we haven’t been striking out enough.”
About the Orioles in 1992: “You know you’re having a bad day when the fifth inning rolls around and they drag the warning track.”
Speaking about the funeral of Elrod “Ellie” Hendricks in December of 2005: “It’s a terrible way to have a reunion of great people.”
“When I was a kid . . . I wore my Little League uniform constantly, and the biggest punishment my parents ever gave me was taking my glove and uniform away.”
**FAMILY TREE OF MICHAEL KENDALL FLANAGAN**
Daniel Flanagan, son of Daniel Flanagan of Ireland, was b. February 1864 [per his death record] in Ireland, and d. 7 April 1930 in Manchester NH. He was buried at St. Joseph Cemetery; He m. Jane Connolly [surname per her daughter’s marriage certificate] or Collins [per son Jame’s birth record]. She was born April 1858 in Ireland. He immigrated to the United States about 1885-1887. In 1889 living in
Manchester NH a laborer at 174 Cedar Street.
1900 US Census > New Hampshire > Hillsborough > Manchester Ward 10 > District 114 > 32 [resided 243 silver street, O’Leary Family lived at same address]
Flannagan, Daniel Head W M Feb 1855 45 married 13 yrs Ire Ire Ire immigrated 1885, naturalized, Grocer Salesman
Flannagan, Jane wife W F April 1858 42 married 13 yrs 4 ch 4 living, Ire Ire Ire immigrated 1885
Flannagan, Edward son W M Sep 1888 11 single b NH
Flannagan, William son W M Jan 1891 9 single b NH
Flannagan, Susan dau W F Nov 1894 5 single b NH
Flannagan, James son W M April 1897 3 single b NH
1920 US Census > New Hampshire > Hillsborough > Manchester Ward 5 > District 102 > 40
Residing at 197 Grove Street
Flanagan, Daniel Head M W 55 Immigrated 1882 Ire Ire Ire Mill operator cotton mill
Flanagan, Jane wife F W 50 married imm 1892 Ire Ire Ire
Flanagan, William son M W 27 single NH Ire Ire
Flanagan, Susie dau F W 24 single NH Ire Ire soler shoe shop
Flanagan James son M W 22 single NH Ire Ire
1930 US Census > New Hampshire > Hillsborough > Manchester > District 45 > 29
[residing 197 grove street]
Flanagan, Daniel Head W M 66 married ta age 33 Ire Ire Ire (South) imm 1887 alien laborer odd jobs
Flanagan, Jennie, wifeF W 64 married at age 31 Ire Ire Ire (South)
Flanagan, James son M W 32 single NH Ire Ire janitor school
Flanagan, William son M W 38 single NH Ire Ire laster, shoe factory
–2nd family in same dwelling–
Dolan, Julia Head F W 55 widow NH Ire Ire
Sullivan, Margaret sister F W 78 single NH Ire Ire
Sullivan Annie sister F W 64 single NH Ire Ire
Children of Daniel & Jane (?) Flanagan:
1. +Edward Francis Flanagan, b. 3 Sep 1888 in Manchester NH
2. William Flannagan, b. January 1891 in Manchester NH
3. Susan Gertrude Flanagan, b. November 1894 in Manchester NH; m. 14 July 1920 to Thomas E. Manning, son of Thomas J. & Catherine (Williams) Manning, a police sergent in Manchester NH, at that time she was a shoeworker. They had several children including William J., Dorothy, and Francis J.
4. James Flanagan, b. 4 April 1896 in Manchester NH. He died December 1982 at the age of 86 in Hillsborough Co. NH [002-30-9163]
Edward Francis Flanagan, son of Daniel & Jane (?) Flannagan, was b. 3 Sep 1888 in Grasmere (now Goffstown) NH and d. 21 Jan 1970 at age 81 in Manchester, New Hampshire. His funeral was held from Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church in Manchester NH and he is buried at St. Joseph’s Cemetery. He was a police officer for the City of Manchester. He married 16 April 1912 at St. Raphael’s Church in
Manchester NH to Flora Clara Kuhn, daughter of Louis & Linda Emily (Pabst) Kuhn. She was b. 26 July 1891 in Manchester NH and d. 22 July 1964, age 72 in Manchester NH. She is buried at St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Manchester NH. In 1918 resided at 65 Frederick Street in Manchester NH.
Children of Edward F. & Flora C. (Kuhn) Flanagan:
1. Mary Louise Flanagan, b. 11 Sep 1912 Manchester NH; d. 19 Nov 2002, age 90; she married Robert Rochette (1914-1991); had sons Robert J. Jr. and Gerald M.
2. Margaret Helen Flanagan, b. 8 Sep 1913 in Manchester NH, and d. 2 Apr 1994 age 80; she married Richard Francis Desrosiers (1915-1992)
3. Dorothy Irene Flanagan, b. 14 Aug 1915, and d. 14 Aug 2000, age 85; she married Laurence David Schofield (1915-1985)
4. Edna Flanagan, b. 14 May 1919
5. +Edward J. Flanagan, b. 6 Nov 1923 Manchester NH; m. Lorraine A. Lane; Reportedly a minor league pitcher from 1947-1952.
6. Elizabeth Genevieve “Betty” Flanagan, b. 30 Sep 1925 in Manchester NH; m. Glenn Milton Gill (1929-1987)
7. Ruth Gladys Flanagan, b. 30 Aug 1927, m. 31 May 1947 in Manchester NH to Richard Lewis Dearborn (1927-1996). Had children [DEARBORN]: Eric G., Linda R., Mark R., Deborah A., male child, Laurie A., Becky L., Karen, Tara, Kimberly.
8. Rita Susan Flanagan, b. 24 March 1930, d. 29 Apr 2002, age 72 in Manchester NH; m. Lewis McLaussen Haun (1930-1984)
Edward J. Flanagan, son of Edward F. & Flora (Kuhn) Flanagan, was born 6 November 1923 in Manchester New Hampshire, baptized 18 Nov 1923 at St. Raphael Church (Roman Catholic). He married 7 Dec 1947 at Lynn MA to Lorraine Alice Lane. She was b. 1 Sep 1924 at Swampscott MA.
Children of Edward J. & Lorraine A. (Lane) Flanagan:
1. Timothy Edward Flanagan, who m. Carole Louise Cote; residing Upton MA in 2011.
2. +Michael Kendall Flanagan, b. 16 Dec 1951 in Manchester NH
3. Catherine Mary Flanagan, who m. Marc Richard Montville; residing Manchester NH 2011
4. Elaine Lorraine Flanagan, who m. Eric Neil Swett; residing Albany NH in 2011
Michael Kendall Flanagan, son of Edward J. & Lorraine A. (Lane) Flanagan, b. 16 Dec 1951 in Manchester NH. He m1) Kathleen Walsh [ divorced; of Oldsmar FL 2011]. He m2) Alex Lynn Debes. See professional biography above and links. Michael died 25 August, 2011 in Monkton, Maryland of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
A memorial Mass was held on Sept 18 2011 at 8 am at St. Francis of Assisi Church in Litchfield NH, celebrated by the Rev. Raymond Labrie. The obituary, published in the Manchester Union Leader on Sept 7, 2011 stated that burial would be private at a later date in Maryland. The Sept 18 2011 Union Leader newspaper reported on a celebration of his life “Celebrating Mike” held at Manchester Memorial High School on September 17. Friends, former teammates, family spoke, showed home videos, and displayed memorabilia. More than 200 people signed the guestbook and paid respect to Flanagan’s parents, Ed and Lorraine Flanagan, who were on hand.
Children of Michael K. & Kathleen (Walsh) Flanagan:
1. Kerry Ellen Flanagan (who married Jack Krabbe) of Baltimore MD 2011]
2. Kathryn “Katie” Kendall Flanagan who m. Denis Chisholm, of Saskatchewan Canada 2011
Child of Michael K. & Alex L. (Debes) Flanagan:
3. Kendall Flanagan of Sparks, Va.
-Baseball Library: Mike Flanagan-
-Bill Shea Distinguished Little League Award (plus a cute photo of Mike as a kid)-
Former Cy Young Winner Flanagan Found Dead At Home
Nashua NH Telegraph: N.H. native, former Oriole ace Mike Flanagan dead
Orioles Insider on Mike Flanagan: What Friends and Associates Say about Him