Snippets of News during Merrimack NH’s 1946 Bicentennial

1946 Merrimack bicentennial pageant float representing 1746-1820 women’s industries. Colorized. Thanks to Danny Ryan.

The following snippets of news have been abstracted from The Milford Cabinet newspaper, published in Milford New Hampshire between June 1, and July 31, 1946–during the months of Merrimack NH’s Bicentennial celebrations.

We are now celebrating Merrimack’s 275th anniversary.  Do you know anyone mentioned in these stories?

June 6, 1946
Correspondent: Mrs. L.E.S. Davidson
– At the I.O.O.F. hall in Reeds Ferry Puritan Rebekah lodge observed Mothers’ and Daughters’ Night. There was a supper and entertainment.
– The Merrimack Youth association held one of a series of dances a the town hall.
– A meeting was held in the town hall to discuss the two-room schoolhouse at South Merrimack.

June 13, 1946
Correspondent: Mrs. L.E.S. Davidson
– The Missionary society met at the home of Mrs. David Trench June 7. The devotionals were in charge of Mrs. John W. Wright. The report of the recent conference of the state Congregational churches held in Manchester was given by the Merrimack church delegate, Mrs. Clarence Webster
– Mrs. Ethel Pearson Carter, accompanied by Mrs. Electa Pearsons, motored to St. Petersburg, Fla, where they attended the graduation of Richard Jebb from the Florida Military academy in St. Petersburg. Mr. Jebb is the nephew of Mrs. Carter.
– Harry Richardson of this town has had a major operation.
– Meetings are held at different homes by the ladies, like the pageant committee and the Ladies Aid society who are making plans to redecorate the Congregational Church ready for the 200th anniversary of the town July 4.
– The Merrimack Community club were guests of the Reeds Ferry Woman’s club at their final meeting June 13 at Reeds Ferry.

June 20, 1946
Correspondent: Mrs. L.E.S. Davidson
– McGaw Normal Institute held graduation exercises in the town hall, Merrimack June 14. The grammar school held graduation exercises that afternoon.
– At the meeting of the Reeds Ferry Woman’s club Mrs. Raymond Smith distributed pamphlets on making breads.

Merrimack NH’s 1946 Bicentennial pageant parade float representing 1650 and the indigenous people. Colorized. Thanks to Danny Ryan.

June 27, 1946
Correspondent: Mrs. L.E.S. Davidson
– The 200th anniversary of the town of Merrimack is to be observed June 30 at 1:30 p.m. with a pageant on the lawn of the Congregational church. The pageant will illustrate in 22 episodes the history of the town from 1650 to 1946. Every activity of the town will have its part in the program. Last will be a tribute to Veterans of all wars and World War II.
– Mrs. Scott Wheeler and friends of Manchester were recently at the Davidson home.
– Mr. and Mrs. Francis Bean attended the Golden Wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Heath in Amherst.
– Mr. and Mrs. Walter Ross of Boston spent the week-end as usual at their farm home here.
– A wedding of interest to towns-people took place at Nashua Saturday evening, June 15, it being a war romance, when Mrs. Raye Atkinson of London, Eng., daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred F. Powell, the former being British Ambassador to Chile for 14 years, and Capt. Alfred E. Dupell, base recruiting offer at Grenier Field, Manchester, son of Mr. and Mrs. Daphne Dupell of Merrimack were wed.
– McGaw Normal Institute of Reeds Ferry held their graduation exercises in Merrimack town hall Friday evening, June 14. Superintendent Canfield presented the diplomas to a graduating class of 14.
– A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Warriner of Reeds Ferry at Nashua Memorial Hospital.
– Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Bruce have as guests Mr. and Mrs. Charles Bruce of Milton.
– Robert Bruce, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Bruce, is at Bainbridge, Maryland, taking naval training.
– Mr. Gray of Manchester and Mrs. A.M. Wilson and Maurice Wilson of Bedford were in town recently.
– Mr. and Mrs. John M. Gregg entertained the latter’s mother and sisters, Mrs. William Lake and Lillian and Ruth Lake on the week end.
– W.T. Green and friend spent Sunday at the former’s summer home here.

July 4th, 1946
Correspondent: Mrs. L.E.S. Davidson
– Mr. and Mrs. Chris Rogler are at their home at Lake Baboosic; also the latter’s uncle who makes his home with them and their grandson, Russell Rogler.
– Mrs. Florence Shedd and son, Donald Shedd, who spent the winter in Worcester, Mass, have returned to the former’s Lake Baboosic home.
– Mrs. Ralph Trobridge, who formerly lived on a farm near Baboosic Lake, is making her home in Manchester now.
– Three large oak trees that were dead have been cut on the land owned by C.W. Green by the highway on the bank of Baboosic brook that are 200 years old or more.
– Alice and Edward Straw are to sell their home at Reeds Ferry.

July 11, 1946
Correspondent: Mrs. L.E.S. Davidson
– The 200th anniversary of Merrimack, which was celebrated June 30 on the lawn of the church was a credit to the town, with a very large attendance. Many old residents of the town came back to attend. Governor Dale was present. The industries of the town from the time of the Indians down through the years were represented in the pageant through the efforts of Rev. Haynes, pastor emeritus of South Merrimack church and Rev. Wright of the Merrimack village church. Only July 3, the young people of the town held a dance in the town hall and July 4 a ball game, a basket lunch at noon and a dance for the veterans were held. Sunday at 6 p.m. the veterans were given a banquet in the town hall.

July 18, 1946
Correspondent: Mrs. L.E.S. Davidson
– The engagement has been announced of Miss Flora Berry, a graduate of McGaw Normal Institute, Reeds Ferry, but now of the office employees at the International Shoe company, Manchester and Raymond Dupell of Reeds Ferry, a graduate of the University of New Hampshire and a war veteran but the past year submaster at Farmington high school.
– Miss Elizabeth Stowell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Stowell of Merrimack village and a graduate of Keene Teacher’s college, is to teach home economics in Hollis the coming fall.
– There was a bad fire July 1 at the Haseltine and Gordon Excelsior factory in Merrimack village with a loss of about $40,000. Buildings, machinery and 400 cords of lumber near the building were destroyed.
– Your reporter was the invited guest of Dr. Olive M. Feemster and daughter of their newly acquired summer home at Baboosic lake, Amherst shore, where they are making extensive repairs and additions, and was taken about to other properties she owns in the colony of homes. The large dining hall is quite an acquisition to the people there.
– Mr. Mitchie of this town, who for a long time has been employed in Boston, is now employed by the Rock Wool Insulating company of Concord going about in the state doing work for the company.

Merrimack NH’s 1946 bicentennial, dressed in colonial garb. Thanks to Danny Ryan. Colorized.

July 25, 1946
Correspondent: Mrs. L.E.S. Davidson
– Ralph H. Lynch died suddenly at his home here July 12. The son of Bartlett R. and Electa (Wilson) Lynch, aged 45 years. He was a former employee of the International Shoe company of Merrimack and the Merrimack Leather company, and a graduate of Bryant-Stratton Business College. Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. Priscilla Tate of Hudson; one son, Donald A. Lynch of Litchfield, and his father Bartlett Lynch of Manchester. The funeral took place at the Fisk Funeral home in Merrimack July 14. Rev. J.W. Wright, pastor of the Merrimack Congregational church, officiating. Burial was in the family lot in Last Rest Cemetery, Merrimack.
– The Red Cross is conducting a Life Saving class at Sandy Beach, Merrimack.
– Joseph Gautier, 77, who got lost in his woodlot near Naticook pond, while a posse of state police searched, found his own way out after a night and a day.
– Stephen Bogush, a resident of this town for 17 years, died at his home here, having been ill a long time. He was born in Poland, but came to New Hampshire 33 years ago. He was a member of St. Casimir church of Nashua. Survivors are his wife, Mrs. Mary K. Bagush, three daughters and two sons. His funeral was held in Nashua with burial in the family lot in St. Stanislaus cemetery, Nashua.
– Word has been received by Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Richards of Thornton’s Ferry of the birth of a grandchild to Mr. and Mrs. Howard C. Richards of Diablo Heights Canal Zone.


Editor’s Note: If you find these bits of news interesting, you can search the archived editions of the Farmer’s Cabinet, the Milford Cabinet and the Wilton Journal from 1802-1999 at the Wadleigh Memorial Library online (free).

This entry was posted in History, NH Tidbits, Really Old News and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Snippets of News during Merrimack NH’s 1946 Bicentennial

  1. Pingback: Collected Stories of Merrimack New Hampshire | Cow Hampshire

Leave a Reply