She was born Mary Loretta Walsh, daughter of John J. & Catherine (Keene) Walsh on 2 March 1900 in Manchester New Hampshire. Marye attended the local schools, and based on 1940 U.S. Census information, she completed two years of college.
She lived in Manchester most of her life–in 1937 residing at 27 Charleston Ave, and in 1941 at 171 Mast Road. The first instance I could find of her name being listed as MARYE was in the 1941 Manchester (NH) City directory. She died 23 June 1991 in Wilmington MA.
On 30 Aug 1920 in Manchester NH she married George H. Caron, son of Peter & Ezilda (Voulfant) Caron. In 1947 he was the manager of a NH State Liquor Store. They had two children, Donald (born in 1924) and Patricia (born in 1926) . She waited until both of her children were in their teens before beginning her political career.
In 1940 she won her first election, and began one of 3 terms in the NH House, being the first woman Democrat to serve in the NH House from Manchester NH. In 1944 she was elected to the NH Senate being the first Democratic woman to ever serve there. She represented District 17–Manchester Wards 3, 4 and 10.
In 1958 she was the dean of the NH Senate. (Editor’s note: The Dean of the NH Senate is an informal term for the Senator with the longest continuous service, regardless of party affiliation.)
During her service, Marye Walsh Caron was a member and clerk of the finance committee for two sessions and also served on the elections, labor, military and veterans’ affairs committees. In 1958 she was vice chairman of the Democratic state committee; secretary-treasurer of the Ward 10 Democratic committee past president of the New Hampshire Order of Women Legislators and also a member of the National Owls; was a delegate to the Democratic national convention in 1948 and to the state constitutional conventions in 1948 and 1956. She was a past- president of the Business and Professional Women’s club, served on the Manchester charter revision committee, and also has been active in the state Cancer society. By 1958 she had two children and eight grandchildren.
In 1960 Marye Walsh Caron completed 20 years of service in the Legislature–3 terms in the house before going to the Senate where she has been for the past 14 years. In 1961 Republican Gov. Wesley Powell nominated Senator. Caron to the State Liquor Commission but failed to win Executive Council confirmation the first time. Gov Powell said he would “put the motion again” before the Council, which he did and she was confirmed. Her commission term expired in 1965.
In August of 1977 the women members of the House of Representatives staged Women’s Equality Day, on the 57th anniversary of the winning of the vote for women. Among early office-holders who were honored was Marye Walsh Caron, Hilda Brungot of Berlin who had the longest legislative career of any woman in the world; Abby Wilder of Concord, first woman named to a major position in state government. Eileen D. Foley gave a major address. Also cited was Dudley Dudley of Durham the first woman to win a seat on the Governor’s Executive Council.
=====BRIEF GENEALOGY OF MARY(E) WALSH CARON=====
John J. Walsh, son of John Walsh of Ireland, b March 1870 possibly in Portsmouth RI, and died 1 March 1926 in Manchester NH. He worked as a cotton mill weaver and later as a loom fixer, in the mills of Manchester NH. He married by 1898 to Catherine “Kate” Keane daughter of Jeremiah & Mary (Hall) Keane. She was b Aug 1872, and died 9 May 1935. They are both buried St. Josephs Cemetery (new) in Bedford NH.
—St J (New)—
John J Walsh
Date of Death 3/1/1926
Section E (rem fr tomb 04/29/1926)
Date of Death 5/9/1935
Naturalization John J. Walsh, b. 28 March 1869 in Co. Cork, Ireland arrived in the US 7 May 1883. Sworn in Newport RI Court in 1892. [I could not find John J. Walsh Sr.’s birth and thought perhaps this record is his, and that he was
1900 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester > 1414 Elm
John Walsh 30 Head
Kate Walsh 27 Wife
Veronica Walsh 1 daughter
Mary Walsh 3/12 daughter
1910 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester
John Walsh 38 Head
Kate Walsh 37 wife
Veronica Walsh 11 dau
Mary Walsh 10 dau
John Walsh 4 son
Margaret Walsh 0 dau
Marian Walsh 0 daughter
1920 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester
John Walsh 48 Head
Kate Walsh 44 Wife
Mary Walsh 20 Daughter
John Walsh 14 son
Margaret Walsh 11 daughter
Genevive Walsh 10 daughter
Children of John J. & Catherine (Keane) Walsh:
1. Veronica Walsh b 27 Sep 1898 Manchester NH; m. 3 March 1919 in Manchester NH to George Francis Gartner. They lived on Oak Street in Manchester NH. Children include George C., John F., and Robert A.
2. +Mary Loretta Walsh, b 2 March 1900 Manchester NH
3. John Joseph Walsh, b 1 October 1905 Manchester NH; He m. 7 April 1926 in Manchester NH to Julia Margaret Delphino, daughter of Fred & Elvira (Genetti) Delphino. He m2d) 3 Sep 1928 in Rutland VT to Charlotte Lois Buffum.
4. Marion D. Walsh b Nov 1909 Manchester NH, twin; d 27 Dec 1915 in Manchester NH, aged 7, toxemia from burns, buried St. Joseph Cemetery, Manchester NH.
5. Margaret Walsh, b November 1909 Manchester NH, twin. In 1930 single living with her sister Marye & George Caron.
6. Genevieve Walsh, b abt 1910 Manchester NH
Mary Loretta Walsh, daughter of John J. & Catherine (Keene) Walsh, born 2 March 1900 in Manchester NH, d 23 June 1991 in Wilmington MA. [This story is about her, see above]. She m. 30 Aug 1920 in Manchester George H. Caron, son of Peter & Ezilda (Voulfant) Caron. He died 8 Nov 1967. In 1947 he was the manager of a NH State Liquor Store. In 1937 living at 27 Charleston Ave in Manchester NH. The 1940 US Census indicates she finished 2 years of college. The 1941 Manchester NH City directory has them living at 171 Mast Road (she is listed as Marye L). They are both buried in St. Joseph Cemetery (new) in Bedford NH.
George H Caron
Date of Death 11/8/1967
Mary Walsh Caron
Date of Death 6/23/1991
Lot 87 east
Children of George H. & Marye (Walsh) Caron:
1. Donald Francis Caron, b 9 September 1924 in Manchester NH, died 23 September 1981 in Boston MA. WW2 Veteran enlisting 17 Apr 1943-27 Dec 1945. Re-enlisting 27 Jan 1951-1 Sep 1953. He m. 22 Sep 1945 in Manchester NH to Irene Therese Chamberlain daughter of Joseph H. & Cora (Veillette) Chamberlain. She was b. in Manchester NH.
2. Patricia Caron b 18 Dec 1926 in Manchester dau of George & Mary (Walsh) Caron. She married Raymond A. McNamara. Children: Joseph, Stephen, Michael, Raymond and Patrick. Daughter Margaret (McNamara) Hart.