As most of my readers have figured out, the missing places I write about are often not truly missing–often the name has changed or a landmark has vanished from the spot. It is not uncommon for local places to change names over the decades to reflect a new owner, or for a building to burn down or be demolished.
In this case the PLACE, the farm once known as The Uplands, on Whittemore Point South Road (shown in the photograph) in Bridgewater, New Hampshire still exists as private property. Much of the farmland property that was originally part of the estate has been subdivided and sold. Most of the land between the estate house and Newfound Lake now contains the condominiums of ‘Whittemore Shores‘ on quaint new streets with names such as Tomahawk Trail, Pasquaney Lane and Algonquin Path. My thanks to Derwood Gray, President of the Bridgewater (NH) Historical Society for speaking with me about this property.
Let us travel back in time to learn more about The Uplands and its former history. From there we will track both forward and backward in the land’s history to learn about who lived in that beautiful place.
A guide to Pasquaney Lake, or Newfound Lake, and the towns upon was published in 1910 by Richard Watson Musgrove on page 50 states: “Previous to the construction of the turnpike, travel on the east side of the lake was over the Point road as it now is. At that time the only tavern on the east shore was the Whittemore house on the Point, still standing, while next south was the farm settled by Abram Hook, and later for many years known as the Levi Dollof farm, one of the best in town. The present owner is Mr. E.P. Lindsay of Boston, who has transformed the brick farmhouse into an elegant summer home–“The Uplands.” For beauty of situation this place can hardly be surpassed.” In 1908 the Cambridge Chronicle newspaper of 22 Aug 1908 confirms much of this information, and proclaimed: “The most pretentious and extensive of the summer estates along the lake, is that of E. P. Lindsay, formerly of Brookline, who has lately transferred his citizenship from that wealthy Massachusetts town to Bridgewater. This estate is v sort of the old Dolloff farm, located on the Road.” The place is described in the History of Bristol as “the best set of buildings in town.” The house is of brick, and the lumber used in the construction of the buildings came from the farm, Levi Dolloff cutting the logs, hauling (them to the mill at Profile Falls, quite a distance below Bristol village, and bringing the lumber tack with him). Mr. Lindsay has spent a large amount of money, in the enlargement of the house, constructing a new barn, built of stone, and beautifying the estate. When the improvements are completed it will doubtless be the show place of the town.”
–Timeline of Ownership–
So, in a nutshell this estate farm belonged at an early date to Abram Hook, followed by Levi Dollof and his family, then by E.P. Lindsay of Boston. When Mr. Lindsay died in 1925, his wife retained it until her death in the 1937, when reportedly “the estate was valued at over $1 million.” Eventually the property passed into the hands of Mr. & Mrs. Aaron H. “Red” Bogart who ran two summer camps on the lake ( Camp Wicosuta and Camp Tomahawk) between 1952 and 1988.
–Early Owner: Abram Hook–
It was not easy to track down the correct Abram Hook [also listed as Abraham]. He was the son of a Revolutionary War soldier Abram Hook and his wife Rachel Elkins. The Abram Hook of Bridgewater NH was born during the Revolutionary War years on 15 January 1775 at either Danville or Sandown NH. He married Salley Cheney, daughter of Thomas & Eunice (Gleason) Cheney. She was born 6 Aug 1773 in either Southbridge MA or Sandown NH and d. 2 May 1843. Abram and his wife Salley lived in Bridgewater NH on the Point Road now known as Whittemore Point South Road. There he and his wife had 7 children, all born in Bridgewater.
A Handbook of New England, by P.E. Sargent, 1917 states: “The route to Bridgewater runs along the eastern shore of the lake, over the Mayhew Turnpike, following the black markers. The old brick farmhouse of Abram Hook, one of the early settlers, has been transformed into Uplands, the beautiful summer residence of E.P. Lindsay of Boston.” Whether he was stating that the Abram Hook Jr. (who married Salley Cheney) or the Abram Hook Sr. (who married Rachel Elkins) built that brick house, we are not certain. It was probably in existence by 1798 when the first of the Hook children were born.
Children of Abraham & Salley (Cheney) Hook Jr.:
1. Eldred Kelly Hook b 25 Sep 1798 Bridgewater NH, d. 24 Apr 1881 Stoneham MA. He m. Louisa B L. –. They had at least one child, Lucina
2. Sally Hook b 22 Jan 1802 Bridgewater NH
3. Abraham Hook III b 18 May 1805 Bridgewater NH.
4. Eliza Hook, b 26 March 1805 Bridgewater NH
5. Elmira Hook, b 16 March 1810 Bridgewater NH, d. 1811
6. Ezekiel C. Hook b 3 Sep 1814 Bridgewater NH, d. 1904. He m. 1 May 1836 in Corinth VT to Loisa Halman. They had at least one child. Webster Dyer Hook, b 1856,. d. 1916.
7. Samuel F. Hook, b. 1815, d. 26 May 1891 in Grantham NH, aged 75. Merchant. He m. 2 May 1869 in Bridgewater NH to Mandana Buswell, daughter of George W. & Lydia (Leavitt) Buswell.
–Next Owner: Levi Dolloff, suceeded by his son Gilbert Dolloff–
Abraham Dolloff/Doliffe was b. 27 August 1768 in Rye NH, son of Nicholas & Sally (Clough) Dolloff [recorded Danville, Rockingham Co. NH]. He died 15 May 1855 aged 86 years. The History of Bristol NH states that “When his father died (he was about 10 months old) he was given a home by Abner Hook of Kingston NH.” He married 28 Nov 1793 Rachel Locke of Sandown, daughter of Levi Locke. She was b. 15 Oct 1772 in Rye NH, and died 11 May 1860. Abraham and his wife settled in Bridgewater NH, where he worked as a carpenter and farmer. [See History of Bristol NH pp142-143.] In 1800 US Census shows Abraham Dolloff living in Bretton Woods,Grafton Co. NH. In 1830 & 1840 US Census living in Bristol, Grafton Co. NH.
Children of Abraham & Rachel (Locke) Dolloff:
1. +Levi Locke Dolloff, b 9 Nov 1795 Bristol NH
2. Sally Clough Dolloff, b. 30 May 1798 Bridgewater NH; m. Favor Locke
3. Nicholas Blaisdell Dolloff, b. 6 Feb 1803, d. 13 July 1892 Woodstock NH; m. 29 Jan 1851 to Mrs. Harriet (Mason) Locke, widow of Benjamin and daughter of David Mason. She d. 16 Nov 1856. He m2d) Rhoda Aldrich, dau of Dr. Aldrich of Sugar Hill NH. She b 16 March 1813, d. 29 Sep 1885.
4. Mary Dolloff, b. 9 June 1805; m. Joseph Moore
5. Elmira Smith Dolloff, b. 14 Dec 1810; m. John Roby
6. Rachel Locke Dolloff, b April 24, 1814; m. Calvin Swett
7. Abram Dolloff, b. 20 March 1818. He m. 22 Feb 1838 Lydia Nelson, daughter of Levi Nelson. She was b. 4 Dec 1818 and d. 20 Dec 1900 age 82. 8 children
Levi Locke Dollof(f) the eventual owner of “The Uplands” farm was born 9 Nov 1795 in Bristol NH, and died 6 April 1880 Bridgwater NH. He is buried in Homeland Cemetery Bristol NH. In 1870 U.S. Census he is shown living in Bridgewater, Grafton Co. NH, farmer. He married on 2 Dec 1819 in Bridgewater NH to Roxy Lock, daughter of Benjamin & Hannah (Favor) Lock. She was b 3 Dec 1798 in Bristol NH and d. 7 July 1884, aged 85 in Bridgewater NH. She was originally buried in Whittemore Cemetery, Bridgewater. In 1909 her remains were moved to the Homeland Cemetery in Bristol NH. Levi Dolloff at first lived on his father’s homestead, then purchased the Abram Hook farm in Bridgewater, on the lake “Point.,” where he passed his life. He had what was called the best farm in town, delightfully situated. He was a Methodist and a Republican. [See History of Bristol NH, p 143.
Children of Levi & Roxy (Lock) Dollof:
1. Infant son Dollof, b and d 1820
2. Infant dau Dollof, b and d 1825
3. Solon Doloff, b 3 Oct 1827 Bridgewater NH, d. 1903; He m 1 May 1850 Nancy Simonds, dau of Daniel & Martha (Brown) SImonds. She was b. 1 March 1829 in Alexandria NH.
4. Hannah Favor Dollof, b 6 Jan 1831, d. 1902 m. Abner Fowler
5. Orrin Locke Dollof, b 26 July 1833, d 1916. He m 26 May 1859 to Clarinda Elliott, dau of Daniel & Dorcas (Baker) ELliott. She b. 5 Sep 1839 in Rumney NH. He was a farmer and his wife kept a summer boarding house called Elm Lawn.
6. *Gilbert Bruce Dollof, b 7 Dec 1835, d. 1905. He m 22 Apr 1857 to Margaret H. Tilton, daughter of Isaac C. Tilton. She was b. 15 Oct 1834 and d. 1 June 1867. He m2d) July 1868 Mary E. Vose who d. 28 Dec 1869. He m3d) 8 May 1870 Emily Jane (Eaton) Spencer, widow of Charles H. Spencer and daughter of Cyrus W. Eaton. He succeeded his father on the home farm. Children: Abner F., Ansel G., and Agnes M. [living there in 1904]
–Named the Estate “The Uplands:” Edwin Parker Lindsay–
Edwin Parker Lindsay was born 10 March 1869 in Boston MA, son of Lemuel Richmond Lindsay & Fanny/Fannie A. Shapleigh, grandson of John & Pluma (Bell) Lindsay and Thomas & Effie R. Shapleigh. His father, Lemuel, was a trader. Edwin P. Lindsay died 25 May 1925 Brookline MA. He was a mason, a member of Saint John’s Lodge in Boston MA. Edwin “E.P.” Lindsay was a paper manufacturer beginning with “kraft” paper and bags. In 1899 his business was at 169 Congress, while he lived at 66 Summit Avenue in Cambridge MA. He married on 3 Dec 1895 in Brookline MA to Agnes M. Snow, daughter of Edward A. & Ada A. (Ames) Snow. She was b. 11 Aug 1870 Boston (West Roxbury) MA and died in 16 Feb 1937 in Belmont MA.
Sometime around 1908 Edwin P. Lindsay purchased the farm estate in Bridgewater NH from a member of the Dolloff family (probably son Gilbert), and though he kept his Cambridge residence, he also spent time on his farm, extensively renovating the house, outbuildings and the barn, remaining it “The Uplands.” In 1914 The Uplands sold its entire herd of Ayrshire Cattle at the New England Fairgrounds in Worcester MA. In 1923 Edwin and his wife had their photographs taken for passports so they could travel to Europe (see here).
The Boston Herald of 29 May 1925 Boston MA printed his obituary: “EDWIN P. LINDSAY
Funeral services for Edwin P. Lindsay well known paper manufacturer will be held today at 3 P.M. at the Cambridge First Congregational Church. Mr. Lindsay who died at his home, 27 Hurlburt Street, Cambridge on Monday will be buried at Forest Hills cemetery. Throughout his business life he was associated with the paper industry. One of the mills in which he was interested was the first in the country to manufacture “kraft” paper. He started with Train, Smith & Co. of Federal street as a boy. At the time of his death he was the principal owner and president of the Advance Bag and Paper Company of Howland, Me., and Middletown, O. Mr. Lindsay was treasurer of the First Congregational Church of Cambridge, and a member of the Cambridge Boat Club, Corinthian Yacht Club and Algonquin Club. He is survived only by his widow.”
— Camp Tomahawk, owned by Mr. & Mrs. Aaron H. Bogart —
An official notice shows that Camp Tomahawk Inc. (of Newfound Lake) was incorporated 1/29/1952 and dissolved on 11/1/1988. An interesting story appears in the Boston Herald of 15 May 1968 on page 10: “Jack Rohan, basketball coach at Columbia University, will shortly be named “coach of the year” by the New York sports writers. During the summer months Jack is head counselor at Camp Tomahawk in Bristol, N.H. which is operated by Aaron “Red” Bogart, former Indiana University swimming great and intercollegiate champion. Incidentally, a girl’s camp is located across the lake from Camp Tomahawk, which is restricted to boys. When asked the principal activity at Camp Tomahawk, Red replies: “Building boats.” It would seem that most of the years when Camp Tomahawk existed, it was quite idyllic. There was one report in In July of 1966 when a 13 year old boy, James Magwood, son of Mr & Mrs. Howard Magood one of the 150 boys at Camp Tomahawk, was killed by lightning strike.
Aaron H. Bogart was born 11 November 1914 in New York City, son of Morris Juda & Frances (Schraeder) Bogarts of Brooklyn New York. Aaron’s father, an 1895 immigrant from Russia to the United States was a naturalized citizen who owned a shirt manufacturing shop called Galef & Bogarts. Aaron served in Co. F, 14th Regiment, NY National Guard from 10/20/41 to 9/19/42. Aaron H. Bogart died on 14 Jan 2006. His last Residence: 33436 Boynton Beach, Palm Beach FL. Other various residences include Mamaroneck NY, Scarsdale NY and 6 Iroquis Path, Bristol NH [technically the land is in Bridgewater but perhaps the post office was in Bristol. Aaron and his wife had 3 children: Judith Ann Bogart who married Dr. Herbert Ivan Jernow; Nancy Bogart who m. Mark T. Gondek and resided in Fort Knox KY; and Andrew J. Bogart. Aaron and his wife owned and ran two summer camps on Newfound Lake (Wi-Co-Su-Ta and Tomahawk). During some of the years the best tennis players of the camps were invited to the Dartmouth Invitational tennis tournament held at Hanover, N.H. Each year the Bogarts would hold reunions for former campers and their parents. In 1966 a newspaper announced that they were holding the 47th annual Camp Reunion. It was Aaron Bogart who subdivided the land and created the “Whittemore Shores” of today.
Google Map, Aerial view of “The Uplands” houses and barns today.
Seeing Red (An Interview with Aaron Bogart) by Mark Lamster
Memories of Camp Tomahawk (not particularly fond ones) – Nicholas Kaufmann’s Journal
FLICKR Photographs of former Camp Tomahawk (from 2005)