The lovely face of Lulu Dunn looks out at you from an antique photograph. Her hair and eyes are dark. Her clothing and hairstyle are indicative of the 1890-1900s. The fine handwriting just below the portrait shows it was taken by Kimball photographers, Concord, New Hampshire.
Lulu’s life was complicated. Her son’s marriage record says that Lulu’s birth place was unknown with the notation “Adopted from Orphans Home.” Yet the 1900 census might give us a clue as to her real mother, when she is shown living with her “aunt” Etta, but the relationship is listed as mother and daughter. Her genealogy is shown here as best as I can compile it.
===PARTIAL GENEALOGY (ADPT.) OF LULU MARIA (TUCKER) DUNN===
Samuel E. Tucker born abt 1780-1789 poss NH poss Northfield NH or Grafton, Windham Co. VT [one rec states that he d. 1840 Northfield VT; m. 1 March 1812 in Claremont, Sullivan Co. NH to Alma Rice [Almay Royce]. She b. 8 Dec 1787 Claremont, Sullivan Co. NH, d ?1840. Children born in VT but recorded in Lebanon NH. In 1830 living in Norwich, Windsor Co VT. In 1840 living in Northfield, Washington Co. VT.
[Rootsweb Connection info]
Children of Samuel & Alma (Rice) Tucker:
1. William Rice Tucker, b. 10 Nov 1812 in Claremont NH, rec Lebanon NH, d. 21 Nov 1880 Northfield VT; m. Northfield NH March 1836 to Theoda Parks Howe. She died 9 years later, 29 April 1845 in Northfield VT. Children: Malverd Clarence who m. Maria Knight, and Ione Sophia. He m2d) 1847 to Armena Simons.
2. Alma Malvina Tucker, b. 1 August 1814 rec Lebanon NH; m. 23 April 1834 in Northfield VT to Ezekiel F Burrell
3. +Franklin Tucker, b. 4 Jan 1817 Northfield VT/Lebanon NH
4. Harriet Eliza Tucker, b. 16 Sep 1818 rec Lebanon NH; m. 28 Feb 1844 in Northfield VT to Isaac Loomis Stevens, son of Daniel & Polly (Loomis) Stevens. Children [STEVENS]: Frances, Carrie A., William and John Loomis.
5. Matilda Tucker, b. 25 August 1820 rec Lebanon NH
6. Susan Tucker, b. 7 Dec 1822 VT; m. 28 Feb 1844 in Northfield VT to George Smalley
7. Capt. George Tucker, b. 16 June 1825 in Claremont NH (Northfield VT); he m. 13 March 1848 in Montpelier, Washington Co VT to Sophronia Burnham, daughter of Elijah & Maria (Simonds) Burnham of Northfield VT. She was b. 1828 VT and d. 6 March 1897 in Somerville MA. ; living in Washington Co VT as early as 1870 with daughter Alma. Per the Gazeteer of Washington Co VT, he resigned his US Army post (Co D 4th VT) and lived at Alexandria and Washington VT before moving to Colorado in 1880. In 1885 he is living (per census) in Saguache Co.) He died 22 May 1885 in Canon City, Fremont Co. Colorado. His widow Sophronia applied for pension benefits on 10 July 1890. [SEE BIO 1 and Bio2 and photo ]. He is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Canon City, Fremont Co., Colorado. He Their child, Alma M. Tucker, b. 19 Feb 1849 NY, d. 3 Jan 1933 Waterbury VT. According to Freedman’s Bank Records, he was an attorney. Findagrave states he was a Civil War vet, Capt Co. D 4th VT Infantry. [SEE Book: Norwich University..Graduates (his bio & photo)]
8. Jeanette “Jennett” Tucker, b. 25 Feb 1829 Norwich VT; m. 21 August 1852 in Northfield VT to Joseph Wood Alden, son of Luther & Susan (Wood) Alden. He was b. 9 Sep 1826 in Lebanon NH. Removed to NH, then later to Nebraska.
9. Adelia Tucker, b. 1832 VT; in 1850 living in Northfield NH with her married sister Alma (Tucker) Burrell, husband Ezekiel, and unmarried sisters Matilda and Jannett.
Franklin Tucker, son of Samuel & Alma (Rice) Tucker, b 4 Jan 1817 VT, recorded at Lebanon NH, d 28 April 1894 in Lebanon NH, aged 77; m. 23 May 1852 in Lebanon NH to Esther Maria Durkee, daughter of Ziba & Louise/Lorice (Megregory/McGregor) Durkee. She b. 2 April 1821 in Hanover, Grafton Co. NH, d 8 July 1899 at Lebanon NH. At the time of their marriage, Franklin was living in Northfield NH. His occupation on his daughter Etta’s death certificate is “marketman.” She was buried Northfield VT.
1860 US Census > VT > Washington > Northfield
Franklin Tucker 43 M W NH Butcher
Esther Tucker 39 F W NH
Tucker 3/12 infant F VT
Frank Bliss 22 F Domestic VT
Elisabeth Hassam F VT
1870 US Census
Franklin Tucker 53
Esther M. Tucker 49
Etta M. Tucker 10
Lizzie Hassam 17
1880 US Census > NH > Grafton > Lebanon
Franklin Tucker 63 Grain Dealer, lame
Esther M. Tucker 59
Etta M. Tucker 20
Lorice Durkee 87
Children of Franklin & Esther M. (Durkee) Tucker:
1. Frank Tucker, b. 1853 Northfield VT, d. 26 March 1854
2. Etta M. Tucker, b. 8 May 1860 in Northfield, Washington VT, d. 3 October 1918 Lebanon NH, aged 58, single, of pneumonia and tuberculosis. She was buried in Northfield NH. [Mother of Lulu Maria Tucker, from 1900 US census]
3. (prob adopted)Herbert M. Tucker, b. April 1867 VT, d. 1921 Lebanon NH; m. 9 Sep 1896 in NH to Gertrude E. Spofford, daughter of W.B. & Alice E. (Sanderson) Spofford . She b. March 1873 NH. They had a daughter Milfred b. Oct 1897 NH
4. (prob. adopted by her grandparents) +Lulu Maria Tucker, b. 12 Dec 1880 Franklin NH
Lulu Maria Tucker [this story is about her see photograph at top], daughter (prob adopted) of Franklin & Esther M. (Durkee) Tucker, b. 12 Dec 1880 Franklin NH, d. August 1965 NH [SSDI]; m 5 January 1904 in Lebanon NH to Paul/Pearl Henry Dunn, son of Henry J. & Martha Ellen (Davis) Dunn [in his 2nd marriage listing he says son of Augustus Robert & Laura (Ivers) Dunn.] He was b. abt 1876 probably Nova Scotia Canada though his 1st) marr rec says Crown Point NY. From 1910-1940 living in Lebanon NH; They appear to have divorced, as on 12 Nov 1923 he married 12 November 1924 to Anna Margaret Breen of Concord NH, dau of John & Nellie (Maye) Breen. Paul and Anna divorced 13 July 1937 in NH on grounds of extreme cruelty. In 1930 & 1940 Lulu ran a boarding house in Lebanon NH. At the time of their marriage, Paul Dunn was assistant postmaster in Hartford VT. In 1951 he was living in Concord NH at 143 N. Main Street, a brick mason.
1900 US Census > NH > Grafton > Lebanon
Etta M. Tucker Head 40 W F May 1860 40 single VT NH NH
Lulu Tucker Daughter 20 W F Dec 1880 single Vermont Vermont Vermont
1920 US Census > NH > Grafton > Lebanon
Herbert M. Tucker Head M 52 VT
Gertrude S. Tucker Wife F 46 NH
Mildred Tucker daughter F 22 NH
Lulu Dunn adopted sister F 40 NH
William Dunn Nephew M 12 VT
Helen Trott Lodger F 23 MA
1930 US Census > NH > Grafton Co > Lebanon > School Street
Lulu T. Dunn 51 Head 4000 m at age 25; NH NH NH boarding house
William F. Dunn 21 M W single VT NH NH Canning
Bryson F. Merrill 55 boarding
Carl G. Lund 23 boarding
Roy K. Lane 30 boarding
Child of Paul/Pearl Henry and Lulu (Tucker) Dunn:
1. William Franklin Dunn b 29 Sep 1907 in Hartford, Windsor Co VT (marr rec says White River Jct VT); in 1930 living with his mother in Lebanon NH; He m. 14 Jan 1933 in Lebanon NH to Ann Mary Pottala, dau of Jacob & Emelia (Tammeleen/Tammelin) Pottala. She was b. 27 Oct 1910 in Fitchburg MA. In 1940 they were living in Lebanon NH, he as a civil engineer with 2 years of college education. They had at least one child, William Franklin Dunn Jr. b abt 1939 who m. 27 Oct 1962 in Bethel VT to Lillian Olga Stockle, daughter of William George & Olga Marie (Metzler) Stockle. She was born in NYC. At the time of his marriage William F. Dunn Jr.’s occupation was surveyor.
Children of Paul H. & Anna Margaret (Breen) Dunn:
2. Ralph Dunn, b. 19 June 1925 Concord NH, d. 2 March 1997 Bennington VT; house painter
3. Elmer H. Dunn, b. 11 Sep 1927 and died same day Concord NH premature; buried Blossom Hill Cemetery
4. Donald Arthur Dunn, b. 8 Sep 1928 and died 6 hours later, premature birth (7 months).