Surry is a quaint and lovely town in Cheshire County, in the south western section of New Hampshire. Two families settled early in the town, intermarried and thrived–the Joslin and Allen families.
I use their photographs to illustrate these genealogies.
——The Joslin Family of Surry and Claremont New Hampshire——
Robert Joslin & Martha Cleveland
Thomas Joslin & Rebecca Marlow of London, England and Hingham MA
Nathaniel Joslin & Sarah King
Nathaniel Josin & Hester Morse
Joseph Joslin & Catharine Reed
Peter Joselin & Elizabeth Greenleaf
Peter Joslin, son of Peter & Elizabeth (Greeneaf) Joslin, b. 12 Oct 1759 Shrewsbury MA, d 12 Dec 1837 Surry NH, age 78 yrs 2 months; m. 1 June 1786 to Sarah Kidder, daughter of Benjamin & Ruth (Hayward) Kidder. She b. 30 Aug 1764 in Leominster MA, d. 17 Feb 1848, age 83 years. He enlisted at age 17 in the Massachusetts militia, his first service at Dorchester Heights during the Siege of Boston. They resided in Winchendon MA and Walpole NH. [see link, Family Histories 275-337, Joslin Homestead page 325]
Children of Peter & Sarah (Kidder) Joslin:
1. Sally Joyslin, b. 24 March 1787 Winchendon MA; m. as his 2nd wife, Cyrus Field, son of Moses D. Field. He was b 20 Nov 1789 in Surry NH. He m1) Nancy Baxter, dau of Simeon Baxter of Surry NH. She b. 1795, d. 5 March 1820. He removed to New York, where he died. [From Field Genealogy]
2. Betsey Josin/Joysin, b. 1 Jan 1789 Winchendon MA, d. 24 Dec 1858 in Charles City, Iowa; m. Josiah Knight. He b. 1792 and d. 1882. Their daughter Persis Maria Knight m. Samuel Waterhouse.
3. Peter Joyslin, b. 24 Nov 1790 Winchendon MA; d. 11 Oct 1869 in Nichols NY
4. John Joyslin, b. 24 Sep 1792 Winchendon MA, d. 9 Feb 1795.
5. Polly Joslin, b. 10 Aug 1794 Winchendon MA, d. 7 July 1874 in Rockford IL; m. Cyrus Field
6. Sarah Joslin, b. 15 Aug 1796, d. 5 Jan 1858 Rockingham VT; m. 1822 to William Thayer. He b. 1790, d. 1854.
7. Persis Joslin, b. 23 Sep 1798 in Winchendon MA; d. 17 June 1826; m. Jonathan Harvey Jr.
8. +John Joslin, b. 12 June 1800 Walpole NH
9. Luke Joslin, b. 10 May 1802; d. 15 June 1869 Rockford IL, unmarried
10. George Josin, b. 5 Juy 1804, d. 28 Sep 1877 Walpole NH; officer in militia in 1828
11. Caroline Joslin, b. 8 Dec 1806, d. 22 Nov 1865 Boston MA; m. Joseph W. Page.
John Joslin, son of Peter & Sarah (Kidder) Joslin, b 12 June 1800 Walpole NH, d 26 May 1875 Surry, NH; m. 7 April 1833 in Surry NH to Ellen Maria Hall, daughter of Cornelius C. Hall. She b. 20 March 1812 in Keene NH, d 14 March 1883 in Surry NH.
1860 US Census > NH > Cheshire > Surry
John Joslin 60
Ellen M. Joslin 48
John K. Joslin 25
Mary A. Joslin 23
Edward H. Joslin 20
Georgiana F. Joslin 13
William H. Thompson 58
1870 US Census > NH > Cheshire > Surry
John Joslin 63 Farmer 3000/1000
Ellen M. Joslin 58
Edward H. Joslin 31
Mary A. Joslin 33
Georgeanna Joslin 23
Children of John & Ellen M. (Hall) Joslin:
1. + Ellen Elizabeth Joslin, b. 15 June 1823 Surry NH; d. 28 Aug 1873; m. Judge William H.H. Allen [SEE ALLEN GENEALOGY BELOW]
2. John Kidder Joslin, b abt 1835 NH
3. Mary A. Joslin, b 16 Nov 1837 Surry NH; d. 15 Dec 1928 Surry NH; unm.
4. Edward H. Joslin, b 14 Oct 1839 in Surry NH; d. 15 Dec 1928 Surry NH
5. George Francis Joslin, b. 7 Nov 1843, d. 17 Feb 1846 Surry NH
5. Georgiana Frances “Georgie” Joslin, b. abt 1858 Surry NH; m. 19 Nov 1870 to Charles Orlando Cummings, son of Nelson T. & Hannah L. (?) Cummings
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF SURRY [NH] — JOSLIN GENEALOGY
——The Allen Family of Surry & Keene, NH —–
Samuel Allen & Ann — [his son Nehemiah Allen was the ancestor of Gen. Ethan Allen (1744-1789) the hero of the American Revolution in Vermont.
John Allen (1638-1675) & Mary Hannum
Samuel Allen (1673-?) & Hannah Burroughs
Samuel Allen (1701-?) & Elizabeth Booth
Abel Allen, Sr., son of Samuel b. 14 Aug 1733 in Windsor CT, d. 18 Aug 1808 in Surry NH, aged 74 years. He came from Windsor CT. He married 1 Jan 1756 to Elizabeth Chapin, dau of Ebenezer & Elizabeth (Pease) Chapin. She was b. 11 July 1736 in Enfield CT, died 13 Nov 1820 in Surry NH, aged 84 years. His gravestone in Surry NH shows: “In memory of Mr. ABEL ALLEN who died August 18th 1808 aged 74 years. One of the first settlers of this place. On time “tis a lamp that wafts its fiers / ’tis a smoke that quick expires / ’tis a bubble, ’tis a sigh / Be prepared O man to die.” He was one of the proprietors of Gilsum (now Surry) New Hampshire, and settled at No. 68 about 1761. In 1766 he was one of a committee to lay out and clear highways, and in 1770 was selected a constable.
Children of Abel & Elizabeth (Chapin) Allen:
[see History of Surry, New Hampshire for more details on these children]
1. +Abel Allen Jr., b. 15 Nov 1756
2. Phineas Allen b 31 Oct 1758, a Revolutionary soldier
3. Rachel Allen, b. 1761
4. Peter Allen, b. 1764
5. Love Allen, b. 1766
6. Samuel Allen, b. 1769, d. 1833
7. Susannah Allen, b. 1772; m. Dr. Samuel Thompson
8. David Allen, b. 1775, d. 1855
9. Noah Allen, b. 1778
10. Elizabeth Allen, m. Oliver Chapin
Abel Allen, Jr., b. 15 Nov 1756, d. 5 Feb 1837; m. 2 March 1786 to Susannah Wilbur, daughter of Joseph & Susanna (Leonard) Wilbur. She was b. 29 Nov 1757 and d. 10 Sep 1811 in Surry NH. He was a soldier of the American Revolution, who marched from Walpole NH and was at the Battle of Bennington.[desc is Mary Louisa Kempton #30008]. He lived in the southwestern part of Surry NH, and possibly some times in Westmoreland NH.
Children of Abel & Susannah (Wilbur) Allen:
1. Susanna Allen, b. 6 July 1787, d. 5 Nov 1863 Keene NH; m. 1808 John Seely Britton
2. Abel Allen, b 3 Sep 1789, died Walpole NH
3. Mary June Allen, b. 4 June 1791; d. 29 June 1843 in Surry NH; m. Elijah Mason
4. Elizabeth Allen, b. 8 May 1793, d. 1866; m. Alvan Alden, son of Moses & Elizabeth (Whitney) Allen. He was b. 1791, and d. 1876.
5. Daniel Allen, b. 4/6 Nov 1794; d. 20 April 1874 in Keene NH
6. +Rev. Joseph Allen, b. 28 May 1798
7. Calvin Allen, b. 2 Sep 1800, d. 1882 Keene NH
Rev. Joseph Allen, son of Abel & Susannah (Wilbur) Allen b 28 May 1798, d 28 June 1877 in Surry NH; m. 5 March 1820 to Lyna/Lina May Abbott, daughter of Daniel & Lucy (Harvey) Abbott, grand-daughter of Daniel & Rachel (Abbott) Abbott, gr-grand dau of George & Sarah (Abbot) Abbott, and 2nd gr-grand dau of Thomas & Hannah (Gray) Abbott. She was b. 10 May 1800 in Surry NH, and d. 16 March 1882 in Surry NH. He was a Methodist clergyman. The History of Surry states: “M.E. preacher and circuit rider in Vermont until 1844 when he came to Surry and engaged in farming. He is called “Rev. Joseph” and “Joseph 2nd.” He represented Surry in NH legislature, is believed to have owned and lived in more houses in Surry between 1845 and 1875 than any man in the whole history of the town. He d. at No. 62.” [pic of them from town history]
Children of Joseph & Lyna May (Abbott) Allen:
1. Lucy Harvey Allen, b. 10 Jan 1821 Surry NH; d. 25 March 1832 Winhall VT.
2. Louisa Jane Allen, b. 20 Dec 1822 Salem NH; d. 18 Oct 1862 Surry NH; m. 1848 Ashley Winchester.
3. Adaline Page Allen, b. 17 June 1825; d. Deering NH 28 Nov 1826
4. Andrew Jackson Allen, b. 11 Oct 1827; d. 14 Oct 1861 accidental death on RR, while serving as a fireman. He m. 19 Sep 1858 in Burlington MA to Mrs. Hattie A. (George) Heath, dau of Adaline (Patch) George and widow of Ambrose Heath. She married 3rd Augustus S. Trask of Keene. Her two children, Isabell Augusta Allen, and Fred Andrew Allen’s names were legally changed from “Allen” to “Trask“.
5. + William Henry Harrison Allen, b. 10 Dec 1829 Winhall, Bennington Co. VT
6. Francis Asbury Allen, b. 19 April 1832, d. 13 May 1833 Hartford VT
7. Francis Asbury Allen, b. 19 Oct 1834; d. 20 Aug 1889 Portsmouth NH
8. Lucy Adaline Allen, b. 22 May 1839, d. 8 Jan 1909; m. Marshall B. Britton
9. George Washington Allen, b. 25 Sep 1841; d. 20 Aug 1902 Northfield MA
10. John Henry Allen, b. 6 Dec 1844; d. 20 May 1910 E. Hartford CT.
William Henry Harrison Allen, son of Rev. Joseph & Lyna/Lina May (Abbott) Allen, b. 10 Dec 1829 in Winhall, Bennington Co., VT, d. 26 April 1893 in Manhattan NY. He m1) 27 July 1856 to Ellen Elizabeth Joslin, daughter of John & Ellen Maria (Hall) Joslin. She was b. 15 June 1823 in Surry, Cheshire Co. NH, and d. 28 August 1873 [2 days after the birth of her son, John Elliot Allen]. He m2d) 16 Oct 1874 to Sally Stowell Sabine, daughter of Dr. John Sabine of Strafford, Vermont. He was a graduate of Dartmouth College in 1855; admitted to the bar 1858; a lawyer and a judge in Newport NH. Clerk of Sullivan County Courts. Associate Judge of NH Supreme Court. She is buried in Pleasant Street Cemetery, Claremont NH. He had 7 children by his first wife. [a longer professional biography can be found in “The bench and bar of New Hampshire, by Charles H. Bell, 1894.] [his bio in History of Surry NH]. Buried Pleasant Street Cemetery, Claremont NH.
Lyna May Abbott, dau of Daniel & Lucy (Harvey) Abbott, William’s mother.
Wednesday, September 10, 1873; New Hampshire Patriot & State Gazette (Concord NH) page 3 -DEATHS- In Claremont, August 28, Ellen J., wife of Hon. W. H. H. Allen, aged 40
New York Tribune (NY NY), Thursday, April 27, 1893 page 7
ALLEN–On Wednesday, April 26, 1893, William H.H. Allen, aged 63 years. Funeral at Claremont NH at convenience of family.
1870 US Census > NH > Sullivan > Claremont
William H H Allen 40
Ellen Aen 37
Rosa Allen 13
Henry Allen 10
Bertha Allen 8
Wilma Allen 6
Mary Allen 3
Amy Allen 1
Children of William H.H. & Ellen E. (Joslin) Allen:
1. +Rosamond B. “Rosa” Allen, b. 7 April 1857 in Surry NH; d. 1 March 1935 in Keene NH. She m. 19 Oct 1882 in Keene NH to Samuel L. Newton. He was b. May 1860 in Woodstock, VT.
2. Henry William Allen, b. 7 Nov 1859 in Newport, Sullivan Co. NH, d. 11 April 1933 in NH; m. 12 June 1889 in Manchester NH to Georgia Annette Wyman, dau of Horace S. & Annette S Wyman [SEE]. She was b. 12 Dec 1862 in Concord NH, d. 30 March 1905
3. Bertha Allen, b. abt 1862 Claremont NH, died young. Buried Pleasant Street Cemetery, Claremont NH.
4. Wilma/Velmer G. Allen, b. abt 1864 Newport NH; m. 16 Nov 1886 to Robert E. Mussey, son of Henry & Samanda (Lawrence) Mussey
5. Winslow Harrison Allen, b 1 April 1868 Claremont NH, d. 30 August 1868 Claremont NH. [per Weekly Union, Manchester NH of 1868]
6. Amy Allen, b. 1869 Claremont NH, d. July 14, 1870, age 1
7. Alger V. Allen, b. 22 Jan 1871 Claremont NH, d. March 1896 Boston MA, a suicide, ingestion of morphine; m. 29 Feb 1896 in MA to Gertrude DuBois, dau of Vincent & Annie (?) Dubois. She was b. abt 1870 in Lyons, France.
8. John Elliot Allen, b. 26 June 1873 in Claremont NH, d 24 July 1945 in Keene NH; m. 10 July 1901 in Keene NH to Amy Louise Abbott, daughter of John True & Alice E. (Merriman) Abbott. She was b. 16 Aug 1877 in Springfield, Hampden Co. MA, d. 14 June 1951 in Keene, Cheshire Co. NH.
Rosamond B. “Rosa” Allen [see her photograph], daughter of William H. H. & Ellen E. (Joslin) Allen, b. 7 April 1857 in Surry NH; d. 1 March 1935 in Keene NH. She m. 19 Oct 1882 in Keene NH to Samuel Lewis Newton, son of Ephraim & Harriet (Hadley) Newton. He was b. 2 May 1858 in Woodstock, VT. In the milk business with his sons. They resided in Alstead from 1884-1890.
History of Town of Surry NH
1900 US Census > NH > Cheshire > Surry
Samuel L. Newton 40 VT
Rosamond B. Newton 42 NH 7 ch 7 living
Ethel M. Newton 16 daughter July 1883 single NH VT NH
Ellen H. Newton 15 daughter Dec 1884 NH VT NH
Harold A. Newton 14 son May 1886 single NH VT NH
Velina M. Newton 12 daughter March 1888 single NH VT NH
Elsworth S. Newton 11 son Apr 1889 NH VT NH
Rosamund A. Newton 10 daughter Oct 1889 NH VT NH
Elizabeth Newton 3 dau Sep 1896 single NH VT NH
1930 US Census > NH > Cheshire > Surry
Samuel Newton 70 Farming – Farm
Rosamond Newton 73
Elsworth Newton 41 milk dealer
A M Hodge 63
Children of Samuel L. & Rosamond B. (Allen) Newton:
1. Ethel Marguerite Newton, b. 24 July 1883 Surry NH; m. 1905 Ormand L. Blake of Surry NH; resided Westminster VT, Surry and Keene, NH, and later Cleveland Ohio.
2. Ellen Harriet Newton, b. 29 Nov 1884 Surry NH; m. 1906 Harrie E. Scripture; resided Surry NH
3. Harold Allen Newton, b. 15 March 1886 Surry NH; in milk business with his father.
4. Velma Marion Newton, b. 20 March 1888 Surry NH; m. 17 Oct 1915 to Robert B. Chase, son of Joseph and Victoria L. (Bates) Chase of Keene NH. He was b. 21 Aug 1887 in Keene NH. He was employed by the NH State Highway Dept. Resided Drewsville. At least one child, Robert B. Chase, b. 18 March 1921.
5. Ellsworth/Elsworth Stanley Newton, b. 3 April 1889 Surry NH; in milk business with his father.
6. Rosamond Allen Newton, b. 22 Oct 1890; d. 18 Dec 1918 Keene NH; m. 22 Sep 1915 to Charles F. Cady, son of James F. & Sarah (Dragoon) Cady. He was b. abt 1894 in Westmoreland NH.
7. Elizabeth Newton, b. 20 Sep 1896 Surry NH; m. 4 June 1919 in Keene NH to Charles N. Phillips, son of Henry L. Phillips. Carpenter. He resided in Florida 1921-22, and in 1923 Keene NH.