Yes, I realize my story title is a bit dramatic, but honestly isn’t death dramatic, especially when it involves a young person?
Dustin C. Sweatt was was a handsome young man, named after his uncle Dustin. He was one of nine children born to his father (who had two wives).
Dustin was only 17 years old when he died of “congestion of the lungs.” We can’t be sure of the exact cause of his lung problems, but in that era diseases such as tuberculosis and pneumonia were among the top ten causes of death in the general population.
Fifty years later in 1900, it was much the same with lung diseases being the top two killers. In 2000 TB, though still around, has dropped out of the top 10 but pneumonia combined with influenza sits at the number seven killer.
===PARTIAL GENEALOGY OF DUSTIN C. SWEATT===
John Swett 1589-1652 & Phebe 1589-1665
Benjamin Swett 1624-1677 & Hester Weare 1629-1718
John Swett 1670-1753 & Bethiah Page 1679-1736
Nathan Swett 1711-1796 & Mary Dearborn 1710-1750
Thomas Swett 1747-1843 & Hannah Swett 1747-1831
[Hannah’s ancestry > Hannah > Elisha & Abigail (Sanborn) Swett > John & Bethiah (Page) Sweatt above
Elisha Swett 1779-1842 & Abigail “Nancy” Evans 1780-1857 [buried Belmont NH]
Daniel Sweatt, son of Elisha & Abigail/Nancy (Evans) Sweatt, b. 17 March 1806 Loudon NH [or Gilmanton NH], d 12 Feb 1886 in Belmont, Belknap Co. NH; He m1) 30 Dec 1829 in NH to Adeline “Sally” Nelson [or Abbott]. She was b. 12 March 1815 and d. 24 Sep 1850. He m2) abt 1851 to Elizabeth “Betsey” Young. She b. 12 Feb 1814 in Gilmanton NH, and d. 11 Nov 1899 in Belmont, Belknap Co. NH. Daniel and both wives are buried in Highland Cemetery, Belmont NH.
1850 US Census > NH > Belknap > Gilmanton
Daniel Swett M 44 NH
Adeline Swett F 35 NH
John C. Swett M 13 NH
Eunice M. Swett F 7 NH
Thomas J. Swett M 4 NH
Julia Swett F 3 NH
Josiah H. Littlefield M 16 NH
Nancy Swett F 70 NH
1860 US Census > NH > Belknap Co. > Upper Gilmanton
Daniel Sweatt M 54 Farmer NH
Elisabeth Sweatt F 45 NH
Eunice A. Sweatt F 17 NH
Thomas J. Sweatt M 14 NH
Julia Sweatt F 11 NH
Abby A Sweatt F 8 NH
Dustin C. Sweatt M 8 NH
Charles H. Sweatt M 4 NH
Daniel Sweatt M 0 NH
Children of Daniel & Adeline (Nelson) Sweatt:
1. Abbie Sweatt, b. abt 1835, died before 1850
2. John G. Sweatt, b. Sep 1837, d. 1918; m. Sarah J. Twombly
3. Eunice A. Sweatt, b 26 Dec 1842 Belmont, NH, d. 27 March 1927 Nashua NH; m. Jonah H. Dooley. Buried Union Cemetery, Laconia NH.
4. Thomas Jefferson Sweatt b Oct 1846 Belmont, NH. He m1st) 25 June 1870 to Sarah E. Price. He m2d) 24 June 1881 in NH to Ella G. Chandler, dau of Ezra Chandler.
5. Julia C. Sweat, b 1842 Gilmanton NH, m. 21 Oct 1861 in Gilford NH to Roscoe G. Dolly, son of Jeremal & Catherine Dolly.
Children of Daniel & Betsey (Young) Sweatt:
6. Abby A. Sweatt b abt 1852 NH, twin
7. +Dustin C. Sweatt b. abt 1852 NH, twin
8. Charles Henry Sweatt, b. 28 Dec 1856 Belmont NH; d. 13 Dec 1914 Manchester NH; married Caroline Newburn Koehler. She b. 16 March 1862 and d. 5 Sep 1936; loom fixer; buried Pine Grove Cemetery, Manchester NH. Children: Charles Leonard, Carl, Dora L., Cora M. “Emma”, and Editha Newbern.
9. Daniel A. Sweatt, b. 28 July 1858 Belmont NH, d. 3 April 1913 in Laconia NH. He m. 20 Nov 1883 in Belmont NH to Carrie A. Sanborn, dau of Valentine & Laura (Robinson) Sanborn. He is buried in Union Cemetery, Laconia NH
Dustin C. Sweatt, [this story is about him] son of Daniel & Betsey (Young) Sweatt, b. 1852 in Gilmanton NH, d. 8 April 1869 Upper Gilmanton NH, aged 17 years 4 month of congestion of the lungs (reported from Belmont NH). Named after his father’s brother Dustin, b. 1811, d. 1841. Buried Gilmanton NH.