In November of last year, I wrote about four graduates of Manchester (NH) High School of the class of 1888. So that I do not repeat myself, please see this link for the history and a photograph of that high school. For now I will focus on revealing only what happened to these four female graduates–Maude G. Fifield, Ethel G. Lamprey, Sarah G. Sawyer, and Alice M. Stuart.
MAUDE G. FIFIELD, Class of 1888
Maud G. Fifield was born 14 Apr 1872 in Deerfield, Rockingham Co. NH, the daughter of dau Henry Lyman & Mary Elizabeth (Harvey) Fifield. Her father was a shoemaker in Deerfield, New Hampshire. She was one of several children, her oldest sister Mary being a school teacher in Deerfield at the tender age of 15. Her brothers followed in their father’s trade of shoemaker. In 1890 her parents were still living in Deerfield, her father on the enumeration of Civil War Veterans. From 1893-1896 Maude can be found boarding in New Hampshire and working in several establishments on Elm Street.
On 7 October 1896 Maud G. Fifield married in Manchester, New Hampshire to Harrison Gordon Woodruff, the son of Andrew N. & Luella I. (Hibbard) Woodruff. He was born 1 June 1871 in East Brookfield Vermont, and died 2 November 1949 in Montpelier Vermont. Harrison was a clerk in New Hampshire, then after their move to Barre, Vermont, he worked as a bank teller, and then finally in Montpelier, Vermont as a bank officer. Mrs. Maude (Fifield) Woodruff died 17 July 1962 in Montpelier, Washington Co. Vermont. Both Maud and her husband are buried at Pine Grove Cemetery in Manchester NH.
Harrison G. & Maude (Fifield) Woodruff had three children:
1. Male stillborn child born 22 March 1898 in Manchester NH buried Pine Grove Cemetery
2. Margaret Elizabeth Woodruff, b. 24 October 1899 in Manchester NH; she died 6 February 2003. She was a long-time resident of Montpelier, VT and was a kindergarten teacher for 46 years.
3. Ethel Isabelle Woodruff born 5 Jun 1904 Barre VT ; married 7 Oct 1929 in Montpelier, Washington Co. VT to Elmer Russell Pulsifer. In 1930 they were living in Boston, MA his occupation being a chemist in a soap factory.
ETHEL G. LAMPREY, Class of 1888
Ethel G. Lamprey, was born 10 April 1870 in Manchester, New Hampshire, a daughter of David & Anna/Annie Belle (White) Lamprey. Following her graduation she apparently found employment as from 1892-1894 in Manchester City Directories, Ethel G. Lamprey is shown working as a clerk at 849 Elm Street, while boarding at her father’s home on Rockland Avenue near Wilkins. In those same years her father David C. Lamprey is shown as a carpenter working for the City of Manchester’s Public Works Department.
On 31 Oct 1892 she married in Manchester NH to Charles J. Adams, son of Joseph & Martha A. (Perry) Adams. He was born 8 June 1870 in Natick, Middlesex Co. MA and died 31 August 1925 in Manchester NH at Sacred Heart Hospital. He was buried at Piscataquog Cemetery. His profession was that of a bookkeeper. She was buried W. Manchester Cemetery [probably the same place]. Ethel G. (Lamprey) Adams, died 10 January 1917 in Manchester NH.
Charles J. & Ethel G. (Lamprey) Adams had three children:
1. Hazel P. Adams, born 21 Nov 1893, and died Jan 1977; she married before 1929 to Parker Bailey, son of Louis Harris and Annabella (Caron) Bailey of Bedford NH where they were living in 1930. Parker owned a garage. Hazel and Parker had at least two children, Arline and Edward A. Bailey.
2. Harold Lamprey Adams, born 7 Apr 1897 Manchester NH, d. 12 September 1906 in Manchester NH., age 9 years
3. Earl M. Adams born 3 April 1909 Manchester NH; died March 1968 in NH; his World War II enlistment shows that he enlisted 20 March 1944 Fort Devens MA with an education of 4 yrs of college, occupation teacher, and married. The 1937 Manchester NH directory shows him with wife, Louise S., and a high school teacher. By 1952 he was working as an insurance agent for John Hancock Insurance Co.
SARAH G. “Sadie” SAWYER, Class of 1888
Sarah Gertrude “Sadie” Sawyer was born born 18 Aug 1867 in Manchester NH to Joseph Bartlett & Rachel (Campbell) Sawyer. She died 15 Jul 1916 in Manchester NH, age 46 at Notre Dame Hospital in Manchester, and is buried at Valley Cemetery. Sarah had a sister Mary Dale Sawyer who died young, on 26 Dec 1896 Manchester NH.
Joseph Bartlett Sawyer was a civil engineer living and working in Manchester NH. He was the son of Jacob & Laura (Bartlett) Sawyer, born 3 October 1823 in Warner New Hampshire. His grandfather was Edmund, and his great grandfather was Joseph Sawyer who moved from Hampstead NH to Warner in 1763 and settled near the Parade area of Warner. Joseph Bartlett Sawyer died 28 May 1897 NH age 72. His wife, Rachel Campbell Sawyer,was born about 1835 in England and died 30 Dec 1900, age 65. She was the daughter of John Campbell and Mary Dale.
ALICE M. STUART, Class of 1888
Alice Mary Stuart was born 7 Dec 1870 in Manchester NH, daughter of Zechariah B. & Rosa Poore (George) Stuart. She died 15 June 1958 in Dover, Kent Delaware. Her father Zecharaiah Stuart was the son of Nathan & Julia (Dolliver) Stuart, born 29 October 1836 at Vassalboro ME and dying 6 December 1911 in Goffstown NH. He was a Civil War veteran, serving in Co. J, 18th Regiment NH Infantry, filing for a pension 14 April 1892, his widow filing 20 December 1911. He is buried at Westlawn Cemetery, in Goffstown NH.
Alice Mary Stuart married 14 June 1905 in Manchester NH to Herman Herbert Hanson, the son of John F. & Martha Elsie (Woodman) Hanson. He was born 6 April 1876 in Strafford NH. Herman was a chemistry professor, and later a chemist for the Delaware State Agriculture Department. He died February 1972 in Kent, Delaware. Alice died 15 June 1958 in Dover, Kent DE.
Alice M. Stuart had one sibling, Sarah Louise Stuart who was born 3 Sep 1876 in New Hampshire and died 26 Sep 1938 Manchester NH, the wife of Dr. George C. Wilkins.
Herman H. & Alice M. (Stuart) Hanson had one child:
1. Philip Philip S. Hanson born about 1914 in Maine; he married 16 July 1938 in Milford, Sussex, DE to Clara Virginia Johnson, dau of Edgar & Clara Johnson. She b. abt 1917.