Even after horses were not the usual mode of travel in New Hampshire, riding stables continued to thrive in New Hampshire–providing both a means of entertainment, and an equine sport. One such facility was Havey Stables and Riding School of Bedford, New Hampshire. According to the History of Bedford, N.H. 1737-1971, page 344 states, “The large residential area to the southeast of Boynton Street was developed in the 1940s; it is often referred to as “the Plains,” and “the Pines.” It was this still highly wooded area of Bedford, that became a favorite area for horseback riding in the 1930s to the 1960s.
Edward E. Havey moved to Bedford, New Hampshire about 1935 from the Boston, Massachusetts vicinity. He first resided at 119 Joppa Hill Road where he opened and ran a
horse stable and riding school. The Bedford history states, “The Haveys moved their riding school to  Plummer Road. In 1946 Mr. and Mrs. Sumner Carlisle bought their Joppa Hill home.” Edward E. Havey and his wife continued their riding stable into the 1950s (see advertisement to the right). At least one street in the stable area (i.e. Palomino Lane) was named after one of the Havey bridle trails.
The Havey’s also opened up a summer camp around 1953 on land they owned near
Sebbins Pond in Bedford. Activities at the camp included, but were not limited to, (based on FaceBook comments by people who attended the camp) horseback riding, shooting a rifle, swimming, and camping. Barbara Dahlbert Ghosh (who I met on Facebook) shared a personal experience: “I attended Havey’s Riding School Day Camp the summer of 1958 as a 10 year old. It was a fantastic experience. We learned riding fundamentals, plus how to care for your horse, both before and after riding it, including mucking out the stalls! (Gotta pay your dues!!) We participated in a camp horse show at the end of the season, which was a lot of fun. Plus, there were many other activities, like swimming in the pond (and swim lessons), archery, crafts, etc. It was an excellent summer experience! The only negative was that the pond had leeches, and once my legs were covered with them when I emerged after a swim lesson!! Horrors !!! It was like a bad “B” SciFi film!!”
The 1953 Annual Report for the Town of Bedford indicates that during that year he had petitioned to classify his land adjoining Sebbins Pond as commercial, probably in anticipation of opening this camp. “Article 32. To see if the Town will vote on a petition of Edward E. Havey and ten other legal voters of the Town of Bedford, for a commercial classification on the land owned by Edward E. Havey adjoining Sebbins Pond.”In 1939 Mr. Edward E. Havey was greatly involved in the creation of the The New Hampshire Horse Association (currently called the New Hampshire Horse and Trail Association), being elected its first Secretary-Treasurer in December of 1939 when stable and horse academy owners from throughout New Hampshire met at the Hotel Carpenter in Manchester, New Hampshire [info from an article from the Portsmouth Herald, 8 December 1939].
Mr. and Mrs. Havey probably removed from the area in 1966 as the Annual Report for the Town of Bedford NH for that year states: “Article 28. To see if the Town will vote to purchase a 15-1/2 acre tract of land and the buildings thereon, known as the Havey Property, to be used as a Town Park and Recreation Area, and to appropriate the sum of Sixty Thousand Dollars ($60,000.00) for this purpose….” No doubt the loss of the Carousel Ballroom in Bedford Grove (even though it had been rebuilt, such types of entertainment were on the decline) and that they were aging contributed to the sale. The
Havey’s eventually retired and moved to Florida, where they both died. At some point Mrs. Barbara Stevens Woodbury purchased the Havey farm and stables, and opened up Tamerack Stables. Mrs. Woodbury was a noted horse show judge especially for the NH Horse & Trail Association.
*****PARTIAL HAVEY GENEALOGY*****
Judge Bernard Brerton Havey, son of John & Catherine (Gamble) Havey of County Roscommon Ireland who immigrated to Halifax Nova Scotia in 1820 and to Gaspereau Mt., Nova Scotia in 1825. Bernard B. Havey was born 8 May 1841 and died 11 April 1939 in Digby, NS Canada. He married 30 May 1866 to Mary Ursula Duncan Denton, daughter of John & Rhoda Ann (Westcott) Denton. She was born 20 June 1850 Little River, Nova Scotia Canada; died 16 Jan 1925 Digby NS Canada, buried Digby. [Her genealogy: John-8 Denton, Rev Richard-7, Nathaniel-6 Richard-5,4, John-3, Joseph-2,1]. Judge Bernard resided in Nova Scotia Canada and in Boston, MA; he was a teacher, merchant, police court magistrate for Digby N.S. and resigned as stipendiary magistrate in 1938. In 1868 he bought the farm at Little Falls from Hiram Westcott.
Children of Bernard & Mary Ursula (Denton) Havey:
1. Catherine Stella Havey, b. 12 March 1867 in Westport, Digby Co., NS, Canada; m. 1890 Arthur William Outhouse
2. +John Archdall Havey, b. 28 Oct 1869 Sandy Cove, NS Canada
3. Eleanor Ann Havey, b. 29 May 1871 Roslindale MA; 1838 res India; m 1893 Rev. John Stuart Timpany, MD. Child: Amaricus Vernon Timpany
4. Lillian Havey, b. 8 Dec 1872 Roslindale MA; died there
5. Harwood Havey, b. 9 Nov 1874 Westport NS Canada, d. 26 Apr 1879 Westport NS.
6. Harry Bernard Havey, b. 10 Nov 1882 Freeport NS Canada; mayor and physician; m. 1913 Libble Elta Brown. Four children: Clinton, Mary, Elizabeth, Frances all b. Stewiacke, NS Canada.
John Archdall Havey, son of Bernard & Ursula (Duncan) Havey, born 28 Oct 1869 Sandy Cove, Nova Scotia Canada; died 10 Nov 1934 Boston MA, [see obituary below] banker, ; He married 21 March 1893 at Freeport, NS to Daisy Kate Crocker, dau of George Colin & Eliza Ann (Perry) Crocker. She born 9 Aug 1871 Nova Scotia, died 31 May 1928 Boston MA, buried Forest Hill Cemetery, Boston MA. He immigrated 1890, naturalized 1896. Daisy immigrated 1893.
J.A. HAVEY RITES SCHEDULED TODAY–Boston Herald (Boston MA) Nov 13, 1934 (Tuesday). Funeral services for John A. Havey of 140 Church Street, West Roxbury, real estate broker and banker who died Saturday, will be held today at 2 PM at the Roslindale Baptist Church. The Rev. Harold Campbell, pastor, will officiate. Burial will be at Forest Hills Cemetery. He was born at Roslindale, Oct 28, 1869, a son of Judge Bernard Havey and Mrs. Ursula Duncan Havey. At the age of six years he went to Digby N.S. with his parents to live and returned to Roslindale at the age of 18 years. For many years he was a leader in the real estate development of Roslindale and he built 800 houses and financed the construction of 2000 dwellings. He was president of the Suffolk Cooperative Bank and he was a member of the Prospect and West Roxbury lodges of Masons and a member of the executive committee of the Roslindale Baptist Church. Surviving him are his father, who is 93 years old and lives in Nova Scotia, four daughters, Mrs. John A. Scherer of West Roxbury, Miss Ruth Havey of New York, Mrs. John Quick of Worcester and Miss Helen Havey of West Roxbury, two sons, Rep. Clayton L. Havey and Edward E. Havey, and a sister.
1920 US Census > MA > Suffolk > Boston
John A. Harvey M W 50 Canada
Daisy H. Harvey F W 48 Canada
Marion L Harvey F W 24 MA
Clayton L. Havey M W 22 MA
Ruth M. Havey F W 20 MA
Grace L. Havey F W 19 MA
E. Everett Havey M W 17 MA
J. Franklin Havey M W 15 MA
Helen G. Havey F W 13 MA
Children of John A. & Daisy K. (Crocker) Havey:
1. Robert Havey, b. 1894, d. 8 Feb 1894
2. Marion Louise Havey born 17 July 1895 Boston MA; in 1938 resided West Roxbury MA; She married John Hargrave Scherer, son of August F.G. and Lottie L. (Kelsey) Scherer. He born 27 April 1893. He was a jewelry engraver and served two years during WWII. Child: Norman Lee Scherer, born 14 July 1923 Roslindale MA
3. Clayton Locke Havey born 17 July 1897 Boston MA; in 1938 living in Boston a builder; married in Roslindale MA 15 May 1924 to Maud Churchill MacDonald. She was b. 5 Dec 1895 at Clyde River, N.S., Canada. He served in U.S. Medical Reserve, 1917 US Naval Reserve Corps 1918-1919; member General Court MA 1933-1936. CHILDREN: Dorothy Arline Havey, b. 12 Feb 1923 Boston MA and John Bernard Havey, b. 22 Feb 1929 Boston MA
4. Ruth Mildred Havey born 4 Feb 1899 Boston MA; landscape architect 1938 NYC, member S.S.W.D. Helped compile her branch of the family.
5. Grace Lillian Havey, born 6 Sep 1900 Boston MA; resided Golden Bridge NY in 1938; m. 6 Oct 1928 to Charles Herbert Quick, son of Charles Adee & Helen Morris (Voris) Quick. She was b. 22 Apr 1900 Golden Bridge NY. He was a research chemist. Children: Virginia Grace Havey, b. 16 Dec 1929 Worcester MA; Carolyn Quick b 26 Dec 1934
6. +E. Everett Havey, born 2 June 1902 Boston MA
7. John Franklin Havey, born 21 Aug 1904 Boston MA
8. Helen G. Havey, born 4 Sep 1906 Boston MA
Edward Everett Havey, son of John A. & Daisy R. (Crocker) Havey, born 2 June 1902 in Roslindale MA, and died Nov 1974 in Valrico, Hillsborough Co. FL. He m1st) 28 May 1924 at Boston MA to Lucy Hainsworth. They had 2 children and divorced 5 June 1936. She was b. abt 1901 MA [?b 6 Aug 1901 and d. 4 Oct 1975 in Newton MA]. He m2d) 14 Dec 1936 at Center Harbor NH to Margaret L. Garden, dau Hugh and Florence (Brown) Gardner. She b. 27 June 1902 Texas. [At time of marriage, her parents: father b England, residing California an engineer, her mother b. Virginia living California]. They divorced. He married 3d) 23 June 1947 at Manchester NH to Florence Lillian Hayward dau of Henry M. & Amy (Ryerson) Hayward. At the time of his marriage occupation was clothing Store Proprietor, address 315 Franklin Street. She born 24 March 1910 in Amherst NH, and died May 1995 at Valrico, Hillsborough Co., FL.
1930 US Census > MA > Norfolk > Dover
Havey, Edward E. Head M W 28 married at age 22 MA Canada-English C-E stationer
Havey, Lucy H. wife F W 28 married age 22 MA England Canada-English
Havey, Eleanor A. Dau F W 4-5/12 MA [b abt 1925]
Havey, Carol N. dau F W 0-6/12 MA [b abt 1929-1930]
1940 US Census > MA > Suffolk > Boston City
Lucy H. Havey 38 Divorced stenographer stationery corp
1940 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Bedford > 119 Joppa Hill Road
Hevey, Edward Head M W 38 married 2 yrs of college [on April 1, 1935 living at Boston, Middlesex MA] stable owner, his own stable
Hevey, Margaret wife F W 38 married Texas [1935 living same as spouse]
Henery Robert lodger M W 17 single b NH [1935 living in Candia NH] new worker
January 23, 1944 Boston Globe page 1, section C34
Mrs. Lucy Hainsworth Havey of Roslindale announced the engagement of her daughter, Eleanor to Sergt. William Wallace Bouldry, USAAF son of Mrs. John Rich Bouldry of Roslindale and the late Mr. Bouldry. Miss Harvey attended the Stratford Secretarial School in Boston, and Sergt. Bouldry graduated from Boston Latin School and Northeastern University. He is now stationed at the Harlingen Army Air Field in Texas.
[a later edition of same paper] She married 12 October 1946. given in marriage by her uncle Gordon F. Hainsworth of Braintree, Carol her maid of honor. Miss Dorothy Havey one of the bridesmaids.
Obituary, Nashua Telegraph, July 14, 1969
Amherst–Louis S. Hayward, 67 of 21 Main Street, Gilbertville, Mass., died yesterday at Mary Lane Hospital, Ware Mass. He was born in Amherst on March 20, 1902 son of Henry M. and Elena (Fuller) Hayward and lived here for 47 years. He was a former member of the Fire Dept. here. He lived six years in Athol Mass and in Gilbertvile for the past four years. He worked for the Paul Whiten Textile Co. of Gilbertville before retiring. The family includes his wife, Mrs. Cecile (Berwick) Hayward of Gilbertville; four grandchildren, three stepdaughters, Mrs. Doris Leomenski of Southington Conn., Mrs. Mae Robinson of Livermore, Calif, and Mrs. Florence Smith of Townsend, Mass; five stepsons Harry Nichols of Thompsonville Conn; Edward Nichols of Bow; Paul Nichols of Nashua and Albert Nichols and Roger Nichols both of Athol; a half-sister Mrs. Florence Havey of Bedford; a nephew and 23 step-grandchildren and six step great-grandchildren. The Smith and Heald Funeral Home of Milford is in charge of the arrangements.
Obituary Nashua Telegraph
Amherst–Leonard L. Hayward, 67, of Mack Hill Road, a lifelong resident, died at a Manchester hospital yesterday after a brief illness. He owned and operated a cider mill for 32 years, retiring in 1964. At one time, he was a member of the Amherst Volunteer Fire Dept. and was a member of the Baptist Church. Members of the family include his wife, Mrs. Ruth (Fisher) Hayward; a son, Robert Hayward of Rochester NY; a brother, Louis Hayward of Gilbertville Mass, and a half-sister Mrs. Florence Havey of Bedford. Smith and Health Funeral Home of Milford is in charge of arrangements.
Nashua Telegraph, Nashua NH Obituary, June 8, 1949
Amherst, June 8–Funeral of Mrs. Amy Harding, 67, wife of Lendal W. Harding who died at her home following a brief illness was held yesterday from her home on Ponemah rd Rev William Rogers of the Congregational church officiated. Mrs. Harding, a native of Brooklyn, Nova Scotia, was a member of Souhegan grange, Souhegan club and the Congregational Church. She came to Amherst in 1905. Besides her husband, she is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Florence Havey of Bedford Mass., two stepsons, Leonard and Lewis Hayward of Amherst; one uncle, Amos Hatfield of Amherst. Bearers were Robert and Donald Davis, Lawrence Clark, Harry Boutelle and Wilber Parker. Burial was in Meadowview cemetery, in charge of the John T. Smith and Son funeral home. [Additional from her obituary in Nashua Telegraph on 4 June 1949 — She was born Feb 22, 1882 in Brooklyn, Nova Scotia, daugh of Mr. and Mrs. Ryeson and came to Amherst in 1905. Survivors include her husband, Lendal W. Harding, Amherst, one daughter Mrs. Florence Havey, Bedford, this state, two sons, Leonard and Louis Hayward , Amherst, an uncle Amos Hatfield.
Children of Edward E. & Lucy (Hainsworth) Havey:
1. Eleanor Ann Havey, b. abt 1929 MA; m. 12 Oct 1946 to William W. Bouldry
2. Carol N. Havey, b abt 1929-30 MA
– Bedford Historical Society. History of Bedford, N.H. 1737-1971. Somersworth: The New Hampshire Publishing Company, 1972. Print.
– FamilySearch. Various Indexes of Births, Marriages, Deaths and Census Records. https://familysearch.org/
– Ancestry.com. Various Indexes of Births, Marriages, Deaths and Census Records.
– Newspapers.com, NewspaperArchive.com, and Genealogybank.com – various newspaper articles from 1940-1970.