Alice I. (Page) Roundy was only 38 years old when she died of peritonitis, in Concord, New Hampshire. Her lovely face looks out from the faded photograph. This would have been taken between 1870 and her death year of 1886. She married in 1869 to Alvin Samuel Roundy, and so she probably posed for this photograph at or after that date.
She wears a dark dress, a shawl, and a cameo pin at her throat. It has been said that “from the Civil War to the World War II era, cameos were the most popular pieces of jewelry most women owned.” Her hair is pinned up in the style of the 1860s, though quite a few strands defy her attempts to tame them.
The photograph studio was owned by Maurice S. Lamprey, who had been a stone cutter prior to the Civil War, and returned home to open a photograph business in Washington Square in Fisherville (Concord), New Hampshire.
It turns out that Alice’s husband is a cousin, though distant, of mine through his mother’s MINER line. Alvin Samuel Roundy remarried two years after Alice’s death, and had a son by his second wife. Alice’s PAGE genealogy can be found directly below.
*****GENEALOGY OF ALICE I. (PAGE) ROUNDY*****
John Page, b c1614 possibly near Hingham, Norfolk Co., England, d. 23 Nov 1687 Haverhill MA. He m c1640 in Hingham MA to Mary Marsh, dau of George & Elizabeth (Key) Marsh of Hingham MA. She was b. c1622 England and d. 15 Feb 1697 Haverhill MA. John came to MA in 1635 as a young man of 21. He was admitted a freeman in Hingham MA 8 Oct 1640 at the age of 26 and possibly he married this same year. Following a dispute regarding the town militia, he moved to Haverhill MA where Mary’s brother, Onesiphorus Marsh, was settling, although possibly he did not bring his family there until 1651. John’s town lot in Haverhill was about 16 acres on Water Street. He had several children, including son, Cornelius, see below.
Cornelius Page, son of John Page, baptized 15 July 1649 in Higham MA, d. 10 Oct 1697 Haverhill MA. He m1) 13 Nov 1674 In Haverhill MA to Martha Clough, dau of John & Jane Clough of Salisbury MA. She was b. 22 March 1654 in Salisbury MA and d. 11 May 1683 in Haverhill MA. Both buried in old “Pentucket” Burial Ground. He m2) 16 Jan 1684 in Haverhill MA to Mary Marsh, dau of Onesiphorus & Hannah (Cutler) Marsh of Haverhill MA. She was b. 12 March 1659 in Haverhill MA and d. 24 Nov 1697. [They were married in a double wedding ceremony along with sister Mercy Page and John Clough”. Cornelius was a “Planter” and took the oath as freeman in Haverhill MA on 28 Nov 1677. They had several children including Joseph Page, below.
Joseph Page, son of Cornelius & Mary (Marsh) Page, b. 12 Sep 1689 Haverhill MA, d. prob 1760; m. c1710 Mary Thompson, dau of John & Elizabeth (Brewer) Thompson of Haverhill MA. She was b. 27 July 1691. They lived in the North Parish of Haverhill MA which in 1742 became Plaistow NH. An apparent epidemic killed 5 of their children in March and April of 1737.
Children of Joseph & Mary (Thompson) Page:
1. +Timothy Page, b. 18 Aug 1711 in N. Haverhill MA
2. Ebenezer Page b 21 Aug 1713, d. 6 March 1737 Haverhill MA
3. Moses Page, b. 11 Sep 1715
4. Mary Page, b. 23 Oct 1717
5. Elizabeth Page, b. 12 Dec 1719, d. 25 March 1737
6. John Page, b. 26 July 1722, d. 9 April 1737
7. Hannah Page, b. 9 May 1724; m. Samuel Smith Jr. Child b. 13 Feb 1747 in Plaistow NH
8. Nathaniel Page, b. 12 May 1726, d. 28 May 1737
9. Susanna Page, b 26 Feb 1731, d. 1 April 1737
10. Abigail Page, b. 13 May 1733, died young
11. Abigail Page 2d, b 21 March 1735; m. Benjamin Huntoon of Haverhill MA.
12. Joseph Page, b. 23 Sep 1736
Timothy Page, son of Joseph & Mary (Thompson) Page, b 18 Aug 1711 in N. Haverhill MA, d. 1781. He m1) 24 June 1735 Mehitable Simons, daughter of John & Mehitable (Whitticher) Simons She was b. 16 Jan 1712, d. 27 Dec 1736. He m2) 24 June 1737 Mary Silver, dau of John & Sarah Silver. She was b. 12 Oct 1712 They resided Atkinson and Plaistow NH.
Children of Timothy & Mary (Silver) Page:
1. +Ebenezer Page, b. 20 April 1738 Haverhill MA
2. Mehitable Page, b. 3 Dec 1740
3. John Page, b. 9 oct 1743. In 1781 declared on compos mentis in Rockingham Co NH
4. Thomas Page, b. 4 May 1746, d. 1 May 1753 Plaistow NH
5. Timothy Page, b 4 June 1749
6. Samuel Page, b. 1 May 1753, d. May 1753
Ebenezer Page, son of Timothy & Mary (Silver) Page, b. 20 April 1738 in Haverhill, Essex Co. MA [later Plaistow NH], d 10 June 1784; m1) prob 1759 to Susanna –. [She died betwe 1760-1763]. He m2d) 26 May 1763 in Haverhill, Essex Co. MA to Martha “Patty” White, dau of John & Martha (Appleton) White. She was b. 11 Sep 1734 in Haverhill MA and d. — (before 1785) ; They resided Salem NH. Ebenezer was one of the proprietors of Salem NH in 1759, signed petition. Paid taxes in 1800 [? or son]. He m3d) 18 Oct 1785 in Salem NH to Joanna (Woodbury) Asten/Austin, daughter of Jonathan & Lydia (Dodge) Woodbury, and widow of Abial Austin. She was b. 1 April 1743 in Salem NH, and died after 1786. [The book: The Family of John Page of Haverhill, Massachusetts, a comprehensive genealogy from 1614 to 1977 by Lynn Marshall Case, page 56]
Child of Ebenezer & Susanna (?) Page:
1. + John Page, b. 17 July 1760 in Salem NH
Children of Ebenezer & Martha (White) Page:
2. James Page, b. 5 March 1764, d. 25 Dec 1764 Salem NH
3. Susanna Page, b. 14 Oct 1766 in Salem NH; m. 4 Sep 1796 to Capt. John Putnam, son of Miles Putnam. He was b. 12 Aug 1767 in Harvard MA and d. 27 Sep 1810 in Grafton VT.
3. James Page 2nd, b. 18 Nov 1768 in Salem NH
4. Ebenezer Page, b. 6 Aug 1770 in Salem NH
5. Isaac Page, b. 30 July 1771 Salem NH
6. Martha Page, b. 14 Feb 1774 Salem NH; d. 1844.
7. Ebenezer Page, b. 6 Aug 1777 Salem NH
Child of Ebenezer & Joanna (Asten) Page:
8. Woodbury/Woodberry Page, b. 23 Oct 1785 Salem NH
John Page Sr., son of Ebenezer & Susanna (?) Page b. 17 July 1760 in Salem, Rockingham Co. NH, d 5 Jan 1825 in New London NH, aged 64y ; m. 26 Dec 1782 in Salem NH to Mehitable Robinson. She b. 1758, d. 21 May 1832, aged 74 years. According to the History of New London NH, “John Page came from Dunbarton [NH] in 1810, see page 740] and located on part of “Willow Farm.” He erected the house now standing, the original dwelling having burned. He is buried in Old Main Street Cemetery, New London, NH.
Children of John & Mehitable (Robinson) Page Sr., [all born in Salem NH]
1. Martha Page, b. 10 March 1786, d. 10 Jan 1827
2. Susan Page, b. 11 March 1789; d. 14 July 1826
3. Amos Page, b. 1 Feb 1792; m. 1 Dec 1814 Hannah Sargent, dau of Peter & Elizabeth (Sargent) Sargent. She b. 2 Sep 1795; they resided New London NH
4 Joanna Page, b. 20 Aug 1794; d. 14 Oct 1798
5. Mehitable Page, b 14 Feb 1798; m. 19 Sep 1839 Manning Seamans, son of Elder Job & Sarah (easterbrooks) Seamans. They resided in New London NH
6. +John Page, b. 25 Dec 1800
John Page, Jr., son of John & Mehitable (Robinson) Page, b. 25 December 1800 Salem NH, d. 25 Feb 1859 in Newport NH; resided Newport NH. He is buried in Old Main Street Cemetery, New London NH. He m1) 16 December 1823 to Miriam Sargent, daughter of Anthony & Miriam Sargent. She b. 26 June 1800 in New London NH and d. 5 Oct 1841 in New London NH; He married 2d) 28 March 1843 in Sutton NH to Lucy Jewett, dau of Jedediah & Mary (Wheeler) Jewett. She b. 3 March 1811 in New London NH, and d. 22 Jan 1894 in Marlow NH, and was buried in Goshen NH. Her will was administered by daughters Marow H. and Esther M (Page) Howe. In 1850 Census living in New London NH but in that year moved to Newport NH.
1850 US Census > NH > Merrimack > New London
John Page M 50 NH Farmer,
Lucy Page F 39 NH
Harriet Page F 25 NH
Anthony S. Page M 23 NH
Rosaline Page, F 19 NH
Gilbert Page M 17 NH
Emily Page F 15 NH
Edwin Page M 12 NH
Delia Page F 8 NH
Marva [Maria H.] Page F 6 NH
George Page M 4 NH
Alice Page F 2 NH
Nathan Sargent M 65 NH
Children of John & Miriam (Sargent) Page:
1. Harriet N. Page, b 16 Nov 1824 in New London, NH; m. 1 Sep 1851 James Munroe Jewett, son of Jededith & Mary (Wheeler) Jewett. He was b. 28 Feb 1818. They resided in New London NH
2. Anthony S Page, b 17 Sep 1826 New London, NH; he resided in New London NH then removed to Newport NH. He married 18 March 1851 to Rosanna Cross, dau of Benjamin & Martha (Davis) Cross of Springfield. She b. 23 Sep 1833. Children: Orison W. Page and John M. Page. They resided in New London NH.
3. Susan F. Page, b. 29 July 1828 New London NH; d. 8 July 1849
4. Roslaine G. Page b 17 Oct 1830 New London NH; m. 6 May 1858 Charles P. Everett of Newport NH
5. John Gilbert Page, b. 9 Oct 1832 in New London NH; He m1) 19 Aug 1854 to Caroline T. Wright of Nashua NH.
6. Emily Page, b 15 July 1835 New London NH, died 8 Oct 1900 in Revere, MA; buried Glenwood Cemetery, Everett NH. She m. Rial Hurd.
7. James Edwin Page, b abt 1838 NH [or Tewksbury MA], d. 28 Nov 1899 in Revere MA, married, a stone contractor. He m. Catherine Morey.
8. Delia Page, b abt 1842 NH; m. — Thompson.
Children of John & Lucy (Jewett) Page:
9. Marow/Maroa “Maria” H. Page, b. 20 March 1844 in New London NH, d. 8 January 1910 in Marlow NH; m. 28 Oct 1861 in Acworth, Sullivan Co. NH to Daniel W. Howe, son of George & Sarah N. (?) Howe. He was b. abt 1837 in Newport NH. They resided in Marlow NH.
10. George B. Page, b 23 Sep 1845 New London NH; He married 12 Jan 1872 in Corinth VT to Julia A. Mead. He was a farmer in Newport NH.
+11. Alice I. Page, b. 23 Nov 1847 in New London, Merrimack Co., NH
12 Mary Esteo Page, b. 7 June 1850 New London NH; d. 4 March 1920 in Newport NH; m. — Howe
Alice I. Page, dau of John & Lucy (Jewett) Page, b. 23 Nov 1847 in New London NH, died 30 Sep 1886 in Concord NH, aged 38; She m. 28 January 1869 in Lempster, Sullivan Co. NH to Arvin Samuel Roundy, son of Truman & Candace (Miner) Roundy. He was b 22 June 1846 in Lempster NH, and d. 1 Jan 1932 in Concord NH. [The birth record erroneously lists her mother as Miriam, although she had been dead several years at this time]. In 1870 they were living in Lempster NH. He married 2d) 8 March 1888 in Concord to Emma Aldana Whitter, dau of Jacob & Harriet (Sanborn) Whittier. She was b. 18 July 1855 in Hopkinton NH and d. 23 March 1938. Alice (Page) Roundy appears to not have had any children, but her husband had a son by his 2nd wife, Waldo S. Roundy, b. 19 May 1889 in Concord NH. [Arvin Samuel Roundy is a cousin through his mother Candace Miner’s line >> Candace-6 Miner, Azariah-5, Ebenezer-4, Clement-3, Clement-2, Clement-1]. In 1900 his profession was “Gob [possibly meant sailor], Teamster.” and residing at 10 West Street in Concord NH. [Roundy family bible