A few days ago I posted a story about Mamie F. Chandler’s high school autograph book. She attended Manchester (NH) High School around 1884. For the younger crowd reading this, at that time Manchester only had one public high school. Mamie came from a rich and privileged family of bankers who had a great influence on the prosperity of Manchester.
Unfortunately I do not have a photograph of “Mamie” but I have thoroughly researched her genealogy. I present it here for your review. Tucked within the pages of her autograph book, was a photograph of her cousin, Sallie Chandler, and you can see that below.
*+*+*+*+ CHANDLER GENEALOGY +*+*+*+*+
William Chandler & Annis —
William Chandler & Mary Dane (of Andover MA
William Chandler & Sarah Buckminster (of Andover & Roxbury MA)
Zachariah Chandler & Mary Bishop (of Roxbury MA)
Thomas Chandler & Hannah Goffe (of Roxbury MA and Bedford NH)
Thomas Chandler & Susannah McAfee (of Bedford NH)
Adam Chandler, only son of Thomas & Susannah (McAffee) Chandler, b. 7 June 1805 Bedford NH, d. September 1887 in Manchester NH. Lived all his life on the river road in Bedford. He m. 21 Dec 1829 to Sally McAllister, dau of John & Jane (Aiken) McAllister. She was b. 1 March 1804 and d. 7 Nov 1870. He was a farmer, had a license to sell liquor from his home, and was a justice of the peace (1841). [Read more about him] He is buried in Bedford Village Cemetery, Bedford NH.
Children of Adam & Sally (McAllister) Chandler:
1. +Henry “Harry” Chandler, b. 30 October 1830 Bedford NH; d. 1900.
2. +George Byron Chandler, b. 18 Nov 1832 Bedford NH; d. 29 June 1905 Manchester NH.
3. +John McAllister Chandler, b. 3 Nov 1834 Bedford NH, died 5 Dec 1901 Manchester NH
4. Sarah H. Chandler, who died age 2 years.
Henry “Harry” Chandler, son of Adam & Sally (McAllister) Chandler, b 30 October 1830 Bedford NH. d. 20 October 1900 in Manchester NH; m. 14 November 1860 to Abigail J. “Abbie” Bond, daughter of Thomas J. and Anna (Brown) Bond. She was b. 11 October 1840 in Bow NH, and d. 24 Feb 1903 in NH. They lived in North Elm Street in Manchester NH. He was in the retail clothing business and later was bank President, associated with his brother George B. Chandler. [bio in Genealogical and family history, New Hampshire by Ezra Stearns, Vol 1] [See photograph of him at work with brother George B. Chandler at Amoskeag Bank]. They are buried in Pine Grove Cemetery, Manchester NH.
1880 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester
Henry Chandler self M 50 NH
Abbie J. Chandler wife F 40 NH
Sallie M. Chandler daughter F 18 NH
Annie B. Chandler dau F 15 NH
Alice M. Chandler dau F 13 NH
George H. Chandler son M 11 NH
Melisa Bickford F 44 Scotland
Children of Henry & Abbie J. (Bond) Chandler:
1. Sallie M. “Sally” Chandler, b 11 Dec 1861 Manchester NH, died 1953; m. 5 June 1889 in Manchester NH to James William Hill, son of Varnum H. & Louisa P. (Boyd) Hill. He was born 20 March 1857 in Manchester NH, d. 19 Feb 1940 in Bedford NH. He was the owner of J.W. Hill Department Store. [The James W. Hill Company was incorporated September 1891; department store, dry and fancy goods, ladies’, men’s and children’s goods, curtains, millinery, etc.] . They are buried in Pine Grove Cemetery, Manchester NH. They owned and lived in the [now distressed] Hill-Lassonde House at 269 Hanover Street, Manchester, NH. No children.
2. Annie Bell Chandler, b. 5 Jan 1864 Manchester NH, d. 4 November 1964 Manchester NH; never married, lived with parents until 1903 and later with her sister Alice. Buried Pine Grove Cemetery NH. She was a member of the Unitarian-Universalist Church, resided at 323 Franklin St. [the address of the Carpenter Hotel at that time]
3. Alice Maria Chandler, b. 9 March 1866 NH; d. 1954; m. Joseph Benjamin “J. Ben” Hart. Lived in Wawbeck NY. Buried Pine Grove Cemetery. He was an accountant. Their daughter, Virginia V. Hart was b. 30 Sep 1902 in Manchester NH, died 24 Sep 1993 in New Castle NH; married 7 Sep 1929 in New Castle NH to Robert S. Horner, son of Thomas & Flora (Boardman) Horner. He was b. in Melrose, MA. Virginia and her husband are buried at Riverside Cemetery in New Castle NH.
4. George Henry Chandler, b. 18 February 1869 in Manchester NH, d. 15 January 1912 in Manchester NH; He m. 6 October 1885 to Mary I. Gould, daughter of George E. & Addie Augusta (Ellsworth) Gould. She was b. 6 October 1871 at Hillsboro Bridge NH. Buried Pine Grove Cemetery, Manchester NH. [She was a member of Manchester’s Thimble Club, see her in group photo] They had a daughter, Marigold, [photo] b. 2 October 1886. Marigold Chandler m. 22 June 1927 in Manchester NH to Winthrop W. Spencer, son of Charles W. & Ethel Marie (Wheeler) Spencer He was b. Cambridge MA, occupation: Bank Executive. In 1940 they were living in Watertown, Litchfield Co. CT with son George Chandler Spencer, b. 24 August 1937 in Woodbury CT, d. 12 April 2005 CT. In 1954 Winthrop and Marigold were living in Waterbury CT, Winthrop was pres of The Colonial Trust Co., and treas of The Taft School Corporation. [See his bio]
George Byron Chandler, son of Adam & Sally (McAllister) Chandler, b. 18 November 1832 in Bedford NH, d. 29 June 1905 in Manchester NH. He studied at Piscataquog, Gilmanton, Hopkinton and Reeds Ferry NH. After teaching for a few years, in 1854 he entered the grocery house of Kidder & Duncklee in Manchester as a bookkeeper. In 1864 he became cashier of the Amoskeag National Bank, and was the executive officer. In 1892 he became president of the bank. In 1874 he became treasurer of People’s Savings Bank. In 1869 he was one of the incorporators of the New Hampshire Fire Insurance Company. [see here for more of his bio]. He married 20 May 1862 to Flora Ann Daniels, daughter of Darwin J. & Eliza Ann (Forsaith) Daniels. She was b abt 1843 and d. 3 May 1868, aged 25 years, 2 months. He m2d) 27 Oct 1870 to Fanny Rice Martin, daughter of Col. Benjamin F. & Mary Ann (Rice) Martin. She was b. in Peacham VT.
Child of George B. & Flora A. (Daniels) Chandler:
1. Flora Chandler, b. 15 July 1868, d. 31 May 1868; buried Valley Cemetery.
Children of George B. & Fanny R. (Martin) Chandler:
2. Benjamin Martin “Ben” Chandler, b. 20 Feb 1872 Manchester NH; m. 1 January 1895 in Manchester NH to Eloise Carpenter, daughter of George Clifford & Frances E. (Chrisman) Carpenter. She was b 19 Nov 1873 in Indianola, Iowa, and d. 1967 in CT. They lived in England. The Trenton Evening Times of 15 May 1906 states:”London, May 15.–In a divorce court today Mrs. Eloise Chandler, formerly of New Hampshire, was granted a divorce from her husband, Benjamin Martin Chandler, whose home is in the same state. Mrs. Chandler was also granted the custody of their three children (Phillip, Audrey and Katherine). Chandler, who is the son of a New Hampshire banker, was charged by his wife with desertion and misconduct. He offered no defense.” He continued to live in Chipping Campden Glos., England. In 1939 he was living at Hidcote House, North Cotswold Gloucestershire England. with 2nd wife, Frances Izod (Robbins) Chandler. She was baptized in 1880, daughter of Francis & Lucy Robbins. Benjamin Martin Chandler died 7 December 1948 and is buried at Leckhampton St Philip & St. James, Gloucestershire England.
3. Alexander Rice Chandler, b. 21 Nov 1876, d. 11 January 1878 Manchester NH
4. Byron D. Chandler, b. 21 June 1879 Manchester NH, died 20 December 1942 (suicide). Cremated and buried Pine Grove Cemetery, Manchester NH. Known by the media as “The Million Dollar Kid.” [From The Cincinnati Enquirer, 27 Dec 1942. Suicide–Byron D. Chandler, 62, Broadway millionaire playboy, at Miami.] [The LaCross Tribune, 21 Dec 1942: “DIED, Byron D. Chandler, his life made glittering by his days as Broadway’s ‘Million Dollar Kid,’ dissipator of two fortunes, dies by own hand in Palm Beach, Fla.]. He married four times, each wife an actress or singer, and each marriage ending in divorce. He married 1st) 21 June 1901 in Manhattan NY, [at Grace Church] to Grace Estelle Stecker/Stecher, daughter of Ralph C./Rudolph & Emily/Emma H. (Gunther) Stecker of New Jersey. She was a concert singer. She b. 29 March 1879/80 in Rhode Island, d. 24 June 1968 in Los Angeles, California [on her 1906 passport she says b. 1884] They divorced in 1909. She m2d) 1916 in Greenwich CT to Henry Frederick Tiedemann/Tiedeman. Henry Tideman was b. 9 Aug 1874 in Manhattan NYC, d. 6 Nov 1950. They lived at 830 Park Avenue. He was a Commission Merchant, Theo Tidemann & Sons, 351 Fourth Ave NYC. Byron D. Chandler m2d) 1 Sept 1909 in Bennington VT to Stella Gray Parsons [AKA Grace LaRue, star of “The Follies of 1908”], dau of William & Lucy (Leake) Parsons. She was b. abt 1881 in California MO. Her 2nd marriage, previously divorced from Charles H. “Sam” Burke, a comedian. “Grace” and Byron divorced in 1919. Byron D. Chandler m3rd) 1919 to Luella Van Nort Gardner Gear, and divorced 1924. She also married Maurice G. Heckscher and Frederick W.A. Engel. Luella V G. Gear was b 5 Sep 1896 in Manhattan NYC, and d. 3 April 1980 at Lenox Hill Hospital in NY. She was the daughter of James & Luelle (Glasser) Gear. Grew up on the West Side in NYC, attending the Spence School. Actress, comedienne. Began her career on Broadway in 1917 in musical comedy “Love O’ Mike” and performed in 20+ stage productions. Also appeared in movies, “Carefree” with Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers in 1938 and “Phffft,” in 1954 starring Judy Holliday and Jack Lemmon. Byron D. Chandler m4th) 1929 Betty Jean “Gene” West of Vincennes, Indiana, divorced Feb 1941. She was b 17 July 1907 in Linton, Indiana, and died after 1964 when she is living in Glendale, California. She resided various times in the Brox NY and Hollywood California. She m2d) 20 Feb 1943 in Safety Harbor FL to Walter Weber of Beverly Hills California, son of Mrs. Anna M. Weber of NY. Betty’s brother Cpl. J. Allen Steff, was wounded in action 7 Dec 1941 in Hawaii. [Betty was possibly Ruthie Mary Steff, daughter of Newton & Mary Steff of Vincennes Indiana.]
John McAllaster Chandler, son of Adam & Sally (MCallaster) Chandler b. 3 Nov 1834
Bedford NH, died 5 Dec 1901 Manchester NH, aged 67. At first a Grocer with the firm of Kidder & Chandler and later a banker along with his brother’s G. Byron and Henry. Was a cashier at the Amoskeag National Bank. Education: Two years at Dartmouth College. (1854) He married twice, 1st) 20 December 1860 to Lavina/Lovina Pease Foss of Hopkinton NH, daughter of Andrew T. & Mary (Morrell) Foss. [Andrew was a minister in Manchester NH in 1850]. She was b. abt 1833 in Hopkinton NH and d. 14 Dec 1881 in Manchester NH. age 48 of Bright’s Disease. Her tombstone in Valley Cemetery shows “L.P.” He m2d) 22 Oct 1883 in New Bedford MA to Lucy Ruggles, daughter of John & Sarah W. (Tompkins) Ruggles. She was b. 28 Sep 1846 in New Bedford MA and d. 9 Dec 1923 in Manchester NH. Living at Corner of Bay & North Street in Manchester at her death. Buried Valley Cemetery on 12 Dec 1923. He was a donor to the Massachusetts Historical Society.
1880 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester > 104 Orange Street
John M. Chandler 45 grocer NH NH NH
Lavina P. Chandler 45 NH NH Maine
Mary F. Chandler 9 NH NH NH
Murray, Bridget W F 45 servant Ireland Ireland Ireland
1889 US City Directory, Manchester NH
Chandler, John M. at Amoskeag National Bank, 867 Elm, house 104 Orange
1900 Manchester City Directory
Chandler, John M. cahsier Amoskeag National Bank, 867 Elm, house Bay, cor. North.
1900 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester
John Chandler 65
Lucy R. Chandler 53
Eloise R. Chandler 13
Maggie Darmody 22
Children of John M. & Lavina P. (Foss) Chandler:
1. Walter Eugene Chandler, b. 10 April 1869; d. 26 July 1869
2. +Mary Frances Chandler, b. 24 Aug 1870 Manchester NH; m. 26 Dec 1893 in Manchester NH to Frank H. Burpee, son of Orra & Abigail L. (Gee) Burpee. He was b 14 May 1868 Goffstown NH, died 14 Dec 1950
Child of John M. & Lucy (Ruggles) Chandler:
3. Eloise R. Chandler, b 15 March 1887 Manchester NH; d. 27 January 1915 Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Mary Frances “Mamie” Chandler [owner of the autograph book from Manchester NH], daughter of John M. & Lavina P. (Foss) Chandler b. 24 Aug 1870 Manchester NH; m. 26 Dec 1893 in Manchester NH to Frank H. Burpee, son of Orra & Abigail “Abby” (Gee) Burpee. He was b 14 May 1868 Goffstown NH, died 14 Dec 1950 in Philadelphia PA (a widower at that time). In 1935 living in Philadelphia PA. They are buried in West Laurel Hill Cemetery, Bala Cynwyd PA. In 1940 he was VP of a meat business.
1900 US Census > NY > Monroe > Rochester
Frank H. Burpee 32
Mary C. Burpee 29
Chandler Burpee 4
Mary T. Hegenderfer 24
Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth NH, 7 Sep 1966, Wednesday, page 3
DEATHS AND FUNERALS: CHANDLER BURPEE
Hampton–Chandler Burpee, 71, husband of Caroline (Bacon) Burpee of 49 Carolan Avenue, died in Moultonboro yesterday. He was born in Providence, RI July 31, 1895, the son of Frank H. and Mary (Chandler) Burpee. He was a retired hosiery manufacturer, a member of the Bald Peak Colony Club of Melvin Village and the Cornell Club. Besides his wife, he is survived by three sons, Chandler Burpee Jr. of Goffstown, George Burpee of Bethlehem PA, and Frank H. Burpee, USAF, stationed in Okinawa.
Child of Frank H. & Mary F. (Chandler) Burpee:
1. Chandler Burpee, b 31 July 1895 in Providence Rhode Island, d. 6 Sep 1966 in Moultonboro NH. He m. Caroline Bacon, and had three sons: Chandler Burpee Jr. (1922-2005, Cornell U grad, lived 211 Patee Hill Rd Goffstown NH), George Bacon Burpee (who m. 1948 to Margaret Yvonne Seriff ?McBride) and Frank H. Burpee [see Chandler Sr’s obituary above]. He was involved as a silk industry mfg in 1940 in Philadelphia.
Tombstone Tuesday – Chandler, at Manchester NH