The Wyman family of Concord, New Hampshire, were originally of Deering, the elders being Reuben & Rhoda (Hartwell) Wyman. Reuben Wyman was a direct descendant of Francis Wyman Jr. and Abigail Reed of England and Woburn, Massachusetts. Rhoda (Hartwell) Wyman was a direct descendant of William Hartwell and Jazan of England and Concord, MA.
In 1827 Reuben Wyman and his family moved to Concord NH where he set up shop as a butcher, and several of his sons, and a grandson followed in his footsteps.
Concord’s Amsden manuscript, Chapter 36, page 28 states: “Farther down on State Street, at No. 87 stands an old brick house in its original simple dignity. It was in 1831 that Reuben Wyman “yeoman,” purchased this lot of an acre with a frontage of four rods on the street and built his house. A few years later he extended his holdings back to Union St., and in the 1834 Directory he was listed as “butcher.” The large barn on the place is said to be of more ancient construction, and it may be a relic of the David Hall farm which in 1810 when this section of State Street was opened, occupied the Court House lot and extended west beyond State Street.”
We also know that in 1864 Reuben G. Wyman (son of Reuben) had a meat market at 4 Masonic Temple, which was at that time on the corner of Main and Pleasant Streets in Concord NH.
The 1864 Concord City Directory lists the following:
Wyman, Horace G. painter Nor. R.R. h. 146 State st.
Wyman, Jesse J., butcher, 29 Warren st.
Wyman, Joseph J., butcher, h. South Arch st.
Wyman, Reuben G., meat market, 4 Masonic Temple, h 173 State st.
Wyman, William H., butcher, h 43 Green st.
Wyman, William H. 2d.k butcher — b. R.G. Wyman
Please enjoy the genealogy of this Wyman family along with some spectacular photograph CDVs both pre- and post-Civil War era.
=GENEALOGY OF THE CONCORD NH BRANCH OF THE WYMAN FAMILY=
Timothy Wyman IV, son of Timothy & Sarah (Locke) Wyman, b 1748 in Woburn MA, d. 31 Oct 1830 in Deering, Hillsborough Co. NH; m. 17 Dec 1772 in Hollis NH to Elizabeth Shattuck, daughter of Zachariah & Elizabeth (Fiske) Shattuck. She b. 15 May 1750 Hollis NH, d. 1 Aug 1809 in Deering. They settled first in Hollis, then moved to Deering about 1777 or 1778. He signed the association test in Deering NH.
Memorials of the Descendants of William Shattuck [Timothy & Elizabeth (Shattuck)
Children of Timothy & Elizabeth (Shattuck) Wyman:
1. Timothy Wyman Jr. b 25 Nov 1773 Hollis NH, d. 31 March 1850; m. 28 Dec 1813 in Hollis NH to Abigail Dow, daughter of Stephen Dow.
2. Capt. Nathan Wyman, b. 28 May 1775 in Hollis NH, d. 6 May 1854 in Jamaica, Windham Co. VT; settled in VT; m1) by 1802 to Betsey Stewart/Stuart; m2) by 1832 to Sarah Childs ; m3) by 1836 to Patty Howard. She was b. 1792 in NH, and died 29 March 1872 in East Jamaica, Windham Co. VT.
3. Elizabeth Wyman, b. 13 March 1777 in Deering NH, d. 30 Jan 1850; m. 31 May 1812/1813 in NH to Jesse Emery
4. Ebenezer Wyman, b. 23 May 1780 in Deering NH; d. 14 Dec 1863 in Deering NH. He m1) Mehitable Clement; m2) 17 Sep 1820 NH to Betsey Stanley. Their son Daniel Wyman [see book photo], was b. 10 Sep 1828 in Deering NH.
5. Sybil Wyman, b. 6 August 1782 in Deering NH, d. 13 Aug 1827; m. 21 Feb 1809 in NH to Jonathan Sargent
6. +Reuben Wyman, b. 27 Feb 1784 in Deering NH; m. Rhoda Hartwell
7. Abel Wyman, b. 7 Feb 1786 in Deering NH; died young.
8. Sally Wyman, twin, b. 19 June 1789 in Deering NH; m. 10 April 1810 in Henniker NH to Josiah Killom/Hilton.
9. Mary “Polly” Wyman, twin, b. 19 June 1789 in Deering NH; m. 31 Dec 1808 in NH to Isaac Merrill
10. Hannah Wyman, b. 24 Nov 1791 in Deering NH; m. John Smith
11. Daniel Wyman, b. 24 March 1794 in Deering NH, d. 7 Nov 1869 NH; m. Louisa Moore
**Reuben/Reubin Wyman [see his photograph at top of page], b. 27 Feb 1784 in Deering NH, d. 6 June 1857; He married 27 Feb 1809/1810 in Henniker NH to **Rhoda “Rhody” Hartwell, daughter of John & Susanna (Foster) Hartwell. She b. 24 Sep 1790 in Hillsborough NH, and d. 9 Nov 1880. He settled first in Hillsborough NH (town), removing to Bradford NH in 1811, and to Concord in 1827 where he was a butcher.
[Handbook of Hartwell genealogy]
1850 US Census > NH > Merrimack > Concord
Reuben Wyman M 65 NH Butcher
Rhoda Wyman F 59 NH
Reuben G. Wyman M 40 NH Butcher
Lavina Wyman F 40 NH
Horace G. Wyman M 15 NH
W H Wyman M 11 NH
Lavina Wyman F 7 NH
Mary A. Wyman F 5 NH
Children of Reuben & Rhoda (Hartwell) Wyman:
1. +Reuben G. Wyman, b 1 May 1810, d. 14 March 1883
2. William Wyman, b. 5 Jan 1812, died 5 Oct 1813.
3. William H. Wyman, b. 26 March 1815 Bradford NH, d. 8 Jan 1889 in Clinton Iowa [reported from Concord NH]; He m 22 Sep 1836 in Sanbornton NH to Mary Ranlet/Rundlet of Meredith/Gilford NH. She b. 12 Nov 1814, prob d. 19 July 1903 in Iowa. Butcher in Concord NH. Removed to Clinton, Iowa.
4. Jesse Emery Wyman, b. 8 Jan 1818 Bradford NH; d. 7 Aug 1896 Manchester NH; He m1) 22 Sep 1837 Sarah L. Bond of Hempstead NH. She b. 8 June 1818, d. 13 Dec 1868. He m2d) 8 Oct 1882 in NH to Laura E. Barr, daughter of Alonzo & Emily (?) Barr. She was b 17 Aug 1849 in Lowell MA. He was a cigar manufacturer in Manchester NH. Children: Sarah L, b. 8 May 1841, died in infancy; and Sarah L. b. 4 May 1853, d. 28 Nov 1860.
5. Lorenzo Wyman, b. 18 Nov 1824, d. 15 Nov 1829.
6. Lafayette Wyman, b. 8 Nov 1826, d. 1894; m. 1852 Hannah Marshall of Portland Maine who d. was b abt 1828 in Maine, and d. 1883. Cigar manufacturer in Portland Maine. They had a daughter Jane, b. abt 1851 in Maine, m. — Farr, railroad man in Portland. Buried Evergreen Cemetery, Portland Maine Plot: Sec-N Lot-475 Grv-1
7. **Joseph J. Wyman, b. 9 July 1829 Concord NH; d. 7 July 1897 Concord NH; He married 5 July 1857 in NH to **Jane Rich Clark, daughter of William & Priscilla (Rich) Clark. She was b. 1 April 1830 in Keene, and d. 24 Jan 1920 in Concord NH; buried Blossom Hill Cemetery, Concord NH. They resided 123 Rumford Street. He was a butcher in Concord NH.8. Jane Rhoda Wyman, b. 8 April 1832 in Concord NH; d. 23 July 1910 in Concord NH. She m. 26 April 1852 Concord NH to **Charles E. Twombly, son of Andrew & Ruth (Wilson) Twombly. He b. 20 May 1819 in Gorham Maine, and died 7 June 1904 in Concord, NH. He was an overseer in
cotton mill, railroad conductor, ticket agent at Concord NH, 5 yrs in treasury dept Washington DC, accountant in Concord NH dealing in Western investments. Buried Blossom Hill Cemetery, Concord NH. They had no children. At Jane’s death she bequeathed items to her siblings, nieces and nephews.
Reuben Gardner Wyman, son of Reuben & Rhoda (Hartwell) Wyman, b 1 May 1810, d. 14 March 1883; he
m. 2 June 1833 in Meredith NH to **Lavina/Lavinia Young. She was b. 24 Dec 1809 in Gilmanton NH, and d. 6 Dec 1866 in Concord NH. He m2d) 27 June 1874 in Keene NH to Mrs. Lydia Elderkin (Littlefield) Thompson, daughter of Jarius & Alathea (Elderkin) Littlefield. She was b. 29 July 1812
in Windham CT, d. 10 Nov 1889. She m1) James H. Thompson, and had children [Thompson] James A., John F. and Mary. Reuben was in the butchering business in Concord NH until 1874 when he moved to Chicago in 1876, later a private watchman, returned east 1882. Reuben G. Wyman was a representative in NH legislature one term.
Tuesday, December 11, 1866 Weekly Union (Manchester NH) page 5
DIED In Concord, Dec. 6, Lavinia, wife of Reuben G. Wyman, 57y.
1850 US Census > NH > Merrimack > Concord
Reuban Wyman 65
Rhoda Wyman 59
Reuben G. Wyman 40
Lavina Wyman 40
Horace G. Wyman 15
M.H. Wyman 11
Lavina Wyman 7
Mary A. Wyman 5
George A. Wyman 2
Albert Longmaide 36
Maria Longmaide 40
Joseph B. Clarke 25
Ellen Burke 30
1880 US Census > Ill > Cook > Chicago
W.H. Wyman 41 City police NH NY NH
Anna A. Wyman 36 wife keeps house nh nh nh
R.G. Wyman 70 father nh nh nh
Children of Reuben & Lavina (Young) Wyman:
1. +Horace G. Wyman, b. 4 Dec 1834 in Concord NH, d. 26 February 1896 in Manchester NH. He m. 5 Sep 1858 **Annette Sturtevant , daughter of Jonathan & Mehitable (Brown) Sturtevant. She b. 16 June 1835 in Columbia, Coos Co., NH, and d. 2 January 1902 in Manchester NH. Machinist. He enlisted in the US Navy, U.S. steamer Colorado, 17 Aug 1864, discharged 7 Sep 1867. Was at both attacks on Fort Fisher; his vessel joined the European squadron in summer of 1865, remaining until the time of discharge. Resided in and buried in Manchester NH.
2. **William Henry Wyman, b. 29 Sep 1838 in Concord NH, d. 10 May 1912 in Chicago, Cook IL ; m. 20 Apr 1866 in Concord NH to Anna Abby Sargent of Manchester NH, daughter of David & ? (Jones) Sargent. She was b. 18 May 1844 in NH, and died 26 April 1922 in Chicago IL. A policeman in Chicago IL. Buried Valley Cemetery, Manchester NH
3. Lavinia/Lovina Jane Wyman, b 8 May 1843, d. 1853.
4. **Mary Abby “Abby M.” Wyman, b. 21 Feb 1845, d. 23 June 1935 Manchester NH; m. 14 July 1869 in NH to Edward M. “Ned” Crandall of Westerly RI, son of Thire N. & Susan (?) Crandall. He b. 16 Jan 1847; stonecutter in Woburn MA.
5. George A. Wyman, b. 1 July 1847 NH, d. 28 July 1910 Boston MA; member of the Boston police ten years, sergeant 9th Division, capt at retirement. Buried Forest Hills, Boston. He m. 1 Jan 1871 in Boston MA to Mary J. Moody, dau of Amos & Hannah (?) Moody. She b. July 1848 in Belmont, Maine, and died after 1920 prob Boston MA. Children: George Andrew Wyman, b. 7 Sep 1871 in Boston MA, d. 16 March 1903 in Boston MA, fireman; and Nellie Lavina Wyman, b. 7 July 1873 Boston, Suffolk Co. MA.
Horace Gardner Wyman, son of Reuben & Lavina (Young) Wyman, b. 4 Dec 1834; m. 5 Sep 1858 Annette Noyes Sturtevant of Columbia, NH, dau of Jonathan & Mehitable (Brown) Sturtevant. She b. 16 June 1835, d. 2 Jan 1902 in Manchester NH. Machinist. He enlisted in the US Navy, U.S. str. Colorado, 17 Aug 1864, disch. 7 Sep 1867. Was at both attacks on Fort Fisher; his vessel joined the European squadron in summer of 1865, remaining until the time of discharge. Resided in Manchester NH.
Children of Horace G. & Annette (Sturtevant) Wyman:
1. **Horace Gardner Wyman, Jr., b 10 June 1859; m. Oct 1882 Linny R. Varney of Rochester NH. She b. 5 Dec 1859. He was an engraver in the Manchester Print Works. They had a daughter Elwyn S., b. 15 Apr 1883, died in infancy
2. Ned Sturtevant Wyman, b. 9 March 1861, died young.
3. **Georgianna/Georgina Annette Wyman, b. 12 Dec 1862 in Concord NH, d. 30 March 1905; grad. Wilmington High School; school teacher. She m. 12 June 1889 to Henry William Allen, son of **William H.H. & **Ellen Elizabeth (Joslin) Allen. He was b. 7 Nov 1859 in Newport, Sullivan Co. NH
=====A BRIEF STURTEVANT GENEALOGY===
Jonathan Sturtevant, son of Hosea & Sarah (Paine) Sturtevant, and a descendant of Plymouth MA early settler Samuel Sturtevant (Hosea-7, Church-6, Josiah-5, Samuel-4, Samuel-3, John-2, Samuel-1.) He was also a Mayflower descendant as Jonathan’s direct ancestor Josiah-5 Sturtevant, b 1683-90 MA, d. 1774 Halifax MA married Hannah Church, dau of Richard & Hannah (Stover) Church, grand-dau of Nathaniel & Sarah (Barstow) Church, great-grand-dau of Richard & Elizabeth (Warren) Church, 2nd-great-granddaughter of Richard Warren who came to Plymouth in the Mayflower.
Jonathan was b. 6 Jan 1795 in Center Harbor NH, d. 10 Sep 1843 in Manchester NH, age 47; House 30 Concord Street Manchester NH. Jonathan was a shoemaker. He married 21 April 1817 to Mehitable Brown. She was b. c1801 Sanbornton NH, d. 9 Dec 1861 Manchester NH.
SEE Book: Descendants of Samuel Sturtevant.
Children of Jonathan & Mehitable (Brown) Sturtevant:
1. Lydia Sturtevant, b. 25 March 1819 Center Harbor, Belknap Co. NH
2. Susan Sturtevant, b. 16 March 1821 Center Harbor NH; m. 6 June 1842 in Manchester NH to Edward M. “Ed” Eastman. Children [Eastman]: Henry, Alma, Julia, Helen, Susan and Emma.
3. Olive Emery Sturtevant, b. 6 June 1823 Center Harbor NH, d. 13 May 1893 in Manchester NH; m. 18 January 1847 to Andrew C. Wallace. Children [Wallace]: Andrew and Clara. She is buried Valley Cemetery, Manchester NH
4. Jerome Bonaparte Sturtevant, b. 6 March 1825 Center Harbor NH, d. 18 July 1901 Bedford NH; married Laura J. Moore, daughter of John Giles & Fanny (Dow) Moore, and resided on the Moore homestead in Bedford, NH.
5. Sarah Sturtevant, b. 13 April 1827 Center Habor NH
6. Henrietta Sturtevant, b abt 1829-31 NH
7. Jerusha Robbins Sturtevant b Sept 1830 NH [or Derby Line VT], d. 21 June 1901 in Manchester NH; m. Charles Abrams.
8. Julia Fedora Sturtevant, b abt 1835 NH
9. +Annette Noyes Sturtevant, b. 16 June 1835, Columbia, Coos Co. NH; m. Horace G. Wyman [see her photograph above]
10. Hosea Elvin Sturtevant, b. 5 June 1838 Columbia Coos Co NH, d. 19 Nov 1877; m. 1 Oct 1863 to Nancy Quimby. Children [Sturtevant]: Charles P., and Mehitable “Minnie”.
11. Georgianna Victoria Sturtevant, b. 4 Sep 1841 Columbia NH
[Editor’s note: my deepest thanks to Heather Wilkinson Rojo, a Mayflower descendant, genealogy-history blogger, and overall amazing person for her help with the Sturtevant Mayflower connection]