Mary E. Fogarty was the daughter of Daniel E. & Eileen (Coughlin) Fogarty. She was born 20 Aug 1921 in Manchester NH, and died 27 Feb 2011 age 90, at her home in New York City. She probably grew up in the house at 282 Prospect Street, where her family was living in 1930. She attended Manchester schools, and graduated with a B.S. degree from Mt. St. Mary College in Hooksett NH.
By 1952 she was already living in New York City pursuing her acting career, and she lived there for more than 60 years. She performed on Broadway, Off Broadway, and on television and in films.
Some of her debut acting performances were in “The Well of the Saints,” Off Broadway at the Gate Theatre in 1959, and “The National Health,” On Broadway at Circle in the Square in 1974. She also performed in New Hampshire at the Hampton Playhouse.
Other performances included, Off-Broadway: Shadow and Substance at the Tara Theatre (Irish Players), and Nathan The Wise at the 78th Street Theatre. She also acted in Regional Theatre: In “The Hostage,” at the Hartford Stage Company, and “A Pagan Place” and “The National Health” at the Long Wharf Theatre. Among her many works, she originated the role of Ousier in the play “Steel Magnolias” in 1987.
She appeared on television in Jacob Have I Loved (as Grandma Bradshaw, 1989), and appeared as a guest-star in Spenser: For Hire, ABC Afterschool Specials, Roseanne, Gideon Oliver, Matlock, the Cosby Mysteries, Law & Order, Hallmark Hall of Fame’s production of A Season of Miracles (1999), Law & Order: Trial by Jury and Law & Order: Criminal Intent.
Some of her movies were: The Tap Door (1980), Cold Feet (Susan Josephson, 1983), Hello Again (The Maid, 1988), The War of the Roses (as Mrs. Dell, 1989), Dad (as Gloria McCarthy, 1989), Missing Pieces (1992), Swing Kids (as Mama Klara Müller, 1993), The Odd Couple II (as Flossie the Grouch, 1998), and Agatha (1999), and Sordid Things (2009).
=====PARTIAL GENEALOGY OF MARY E. FOGARTY=====
Daniel Fogarty was b. c 1832 in Waterford Ireland and died 29 Dec 1910, age 78 in St. Andrew, Jamaica, British West Indies. He married Mary Waugh. She was b. c1837 and d. 1909 in Schawfield, Jamaica, British West Indies. He was a planter.
Children of Daniel & Mary (Waugh) Fogerty: [there may be additional children]
1. +William O’Reilly Fogarty, b. 1857 Trelawney, Cornwall, Jamaica
2. Jacob Fogarty, signed his father’s death certificate.
William O’Reilly Fogarty, son of Daniel & Mary (Waugh) Fogarty, b. 1857 Trelawney, Cornwall, Jamaica, British West Indies, and d. 31 August 1911 in Kingston Jamaica. Buried Calvary Cemetery. He married Mary Margaret Sophia Ellis. She was b. 1855 and d. 1930 in Jamaica. He was a clerk in the civil service.
Children of William O. & Mary M. S. (Ellis) Fogarty:
1. William Ignatius Fogarty, b 24 Aug 1878 Kingston Jamaica, died there
2. +Daniel Edward Fogarty, b. 21 Aug 1880 in Kingston, Jamaica
3. John O’Reilley Fogarty, b 1 Jan 1884 Jamaica, died there
4. Mary Agnes Fogarty, b. 14 May 1886 Parish of Kingston Jamaica, d. 1944
5. daughter Fogarty, b abt 1888, d. Jamaica
6. George Herbert Fogarty, b. 28 April 1892 Kingston, Jamaica
7. Eleanor Fogarty, b abt 1895 Jamaica, d. March 1985 in NJ
8. Lawrence Joseph Fogarty, b. 23 May 1897 Kingston, Jamaica, d. 3 January 1976 in Jamaica
Daniel Edward Fogarty, b. 21 Aug 1880 in Kingston, Jamaica, British West Indies, and died 15 April 1952 in Manchester NH. He married 21 January 1913 in Shelburne Falls, Franklin MA to Ileen Moore Coughlin, dau of John & Margaret (Moore) Coughlin. She was b. 20 March 1886 in Buckland, Franklin MA, and d. 5 April 1947 in Hampton, Rockingham Co. NH. She is buried in Arms Cemeteary, Shelburne Falls, Franklin MA. At the time of his marriage, he was an accountant. In 1930 living at 282 Prospect Street Manchester NH. He is probably the Daniel Fogarty living at 519 Bridge Street in 1952.
1920 US Census > MA > Franklin > Buckland > 60 Elm Street
Ileen C. Fogarty 33 MA NY Nova Scotia-Can married
Daniel C. Fogarty 6
John M. Fogarty 4-6/12
William E. Fogarty 3
1930 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester > 282 Prospect Street
-Daniel Edward Fogarty 49 [Daniel Edward Fogarty b. 21 Aug 1880 NYC NY, worked for New England Power Service Co.).
-Ileen Fogarty 43
-Daniel Coughlin Fogarty 16
-John M. Fogarty 14 MA
-William E. Fogarty 13 [b abt 1917].
-Mary E Fogarty 8 [b abt 1922]
-Francis J. Fogarty 3 [b abt 1927]
1952, April, 17 — North Adams Transcript, North Adams Mass
Daniel E. Fogarty, 71, retired auditor of the New England Electric System and a former resident of Shelburne Falls, died Tuesday night at Manchester N.H. He was the father of Daniel C. Fogarty of 14 Orchard Terrace North Adams. Born in New York, Mr. Fogarty was employed as an accountant by the New England Electric System for many years. As a young man he was stationed in the company’s offices in Shelburne Falls for many years, leaving there upwards of 20 years ago. For a time he left the company and was associated with the Shattuck Construction company, engaged in construction work in South America. Later he rejoined the New England system retiring four years ago. Besides his son here, he leaves a daughter Miss Mary E. Fogarty of New York; three other sons, John M Fogarty of Methuen; Lieut Comdr William E. Fogarty USN of Falls Church Va, and Francis J. Fogarty of Hampton Beach NH; a sister, Mrs. Donald Reid of Bronx, NY and a brother Lawrence, of Kingston, Jaimaica. His wife, the former Eileen Coughlin of Shelburn Falls, died about five years ago. Funeral services will be held tomorrow morning in St. Joseph’s cathedral in Manchester, N.H. with burial in Arms cemetery in Shelburne Falls.
Children of Daniel E. & Eileen (Coughlin) Fogarty:
1. Daniel Coughlin Fogarty, b. 31 Oct 1913 MA, d. 22 Aug 1985; resided N. Adams MA; m. Mary Nagle.
2. John Moore Fogarty, b. 30 June 1915 Worcester MA, d. 16 Feb 1973 Cleveland OH; m. 24 June 1940 at Hampton Beach NH to Ruth Anne Donovan, dau of Frank L. & Anna (Keating) Donovan, dau of Frank L. & Annie T. (Keating) Donovan; She was b. 11 June 1914 in Lawrence MA, and d. 17 October 2002 in Cleveland OH. in 1942 living at 14 Orchard Terrace, N. Adams MA
3. William E. Fogarty, b. abt 1917; resided Falls Church VA; He attended the US Naval Academy at Annapolis MD
4. Mary E. Fogarty, 20 Aug 1921 in Manchester NH [the subject of this story, see above] In 1942 living with her parents in Manchester NH. She died 27 Feb 2011 age 90, at her home in New York City [although a 2nd source states she was in NH at the time].
5. Francis J. Fogarty, b abt 1927 NH; he resided at Hampton Beach NH