If you are a peruser of early Manchester New Hampshire photographs, no doubt you have seen his work. Known usually as “J.G. Ellinwood” John Gilman Ellinwood was born on 12 November 1844 in Deering NH, son of John B. & Leonora (Alcock) Ellinwood. John’s father was a grocer and trader while in Manchester NH. It is not known how or exactly when John became interested in photography and who he apprenticed with but very probably it was while living in Manchester.
In 1860 he was living in Hillsborough, Hillsborough Co. NH with his parents along with siblings Marcus, George, and Emma. Within a few years his family had moved to Manchester NH and he moved with them. By 1869 he was already in a business partnership with Charles McClary, as Ellinwood & McClary. They took some of the earliest stereoview photographs of Manchester scenery (in addition to that of surrounding towns such as Francestown and Concord. [Editor’s note, Ellinwood & McClary took a photograph of Fanny (Favor) Morse who was 100 years old in March of 1869 and who died in December of the same year].
The Weekly Union newspaper of Tuesday Aug 1, 1871 Manchester NH printed the following: NOTICE. The co- partnership formerly existing under the firm of Ellinwood & McClary was dissolved July 25, 1871 by mutual consent. The business hereafter will be carried on under the name of J.G. Ellinwood. All bills due the firm up to this date are payable to Charles F. McClary.
CHARLES F. MCCLARY
Manchester, July 26, 1871
As for Charles McClary, he continued in the photography business for a very short time but appears to have changed occupations. In the 1870 US Census in Manchester NH Charles McClary is shown aged 19 with the occupation of photographer. By an 1892 directory he was a hotel keeper, and later a clerk, while Ellinwood continued with his photography profession for many years.
John Gilman [J.G.] Ellinwood married on 16 Jan 1879 in Manchester NH to Mary S. Gove, daughter of Albert & Abigail (Clark) Gove. She was born 4 May 1847 in Henniker NH, and died 12 April 1907 Manchester NH. They are both buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Manchester NH. They do not appear to have had any children.
The 1879 Manchester NH almanac and city directory shows both John G. [the photographer] and his father John B. with businesses nearby on Elm Street.
Ellinwood John B, 698 Elm, groceries and provisions, house 331 Merrimack
Ellinwood John G., photographer, Pattens Block, 936 Elm [10 and 11 Patten Block],boards 142 Merrimack. In 1896 J.G. Ellinwood was located at 16 Patten block, Elm Street.
The Manchester Historic Association’s description with his photograph states: “He ran a photo studio on Elm Street in Manchester for 47 years and was known for his outdoor photography, taking many landscape photographs as well as exterior shots of Manchester buildings. He was a member of the Manchester Historic Association, the Old Residents Association, and the Star Lodge. He died Sept. 13, 1924.”
His photographs are considered great collectibles and samples can be found online at the Manchester Historic Association, the Canadian Centre for Architecture in Montreal Canada, the New Hampshire Historical Society, the NY Public Library Digital Collection, and other museums and online photograph collections.
Carte-De-Visite Culture in Manchester NH: A Case Study, by Carolyn Jambard Sweet, 2006.
===PARTIAL GENEALOGY OF JOHN G. ELLINWOOD/ELLENWOOD===
Ralph Ellenwood, son of Ralph “The Saxon” & Eleanor (Lyn) Ellenwood. He was b 16 March 1657 in Salem, Essex Co. MA and d. in 1728 in Beverly MA. He m. Martha Rowlandson. She was b 24 Aug 1666 in Salisbury MA and d. 1712 in Beverly MA. Buried Abbott Street Burial Ground, Beverly MA.
Children of Ralph & Martha (Rowlandson) Ellenwood.
[Children: Sarah, Israel, Ralph, Ephraim, +Ebenezer, Ichabod, Esther, Daniel, and Abiel].
Ebenezer Ellenwood, born 29 Aug 1697 in Beverly MA, d. 13 May 1747 in Amherst NH. He m. 23 March 1718 in Beverly MA to Sarah Tuck, daughter of Joseph & Sarah (Reith) Tuck). Buried Amherst (NH) Town Hall Burying Ground. 8 children. Occupation: bricklayer.
Children of Ebenezer & Sarah (Tuck) Ellinwood:
1. Ebenezer Ellinwood, b. 29 Aug 1697 Beverly MA
2. Sarah Ellinwood
3. Joseph Ellinwood
4. Mary Ellinwood
5. Abigail Ellinwood
6. Jedidiah Ellinwood
7. Martha Ellinwood
8. James Ellinwood
9. +Rolandson Ellinwood, b. 13 April 1742 in Amherst NH.
Rolandson/Rolenson Ellinwood, b 13 April 1742 in Amherst NH, d 1797 Antrim NH; m1st) by 1770 to Abigail Hildreth, daughter of Jacob & Abigail (Harwood) Hildreth. She was born abt 1756 in Litchfield NH, and died before 1791. They resided in Amherst NH for many years, but moved to Antrim NH where he died. He m2d) 5 June 1791 in Amherst NH to Eunes [Eunice] Nichols. He settled in Deering on lot 12, south range, next to the intervale lot, Packer’s right in 1793. He also purchased lot 11 in the same range and the southerly half of lot 12 in north range of the same right.
Children of Rolandson & Abigail (Hildreth) Ellinwood:
1. John Ellenwood, b. 17 Sep 1770, died young.
2. Lucy Ellenwood, b 14 April 1773
3. David Ellinwod, b 3 May 1775, d. 22 Sep 1846 in Antrim NH; m. Alice Aiken
4. +John Ellinwood, b 1780, d. 1860. He m. 1813 to Ruth Baker.
5. Abigail Ellinwood, b. March 1782; m. Phineas Wilkins.
Children of Rolandson & Eunice (Nichols) Ellinwood:
6. Eunice Ellinwood b 24 April 1792
7. Joseph Ellinwood b 24 March 1795; settled on or near No 1 Tomlinson’s moiety in big lot No 11 of Hillsborough (town) NH. Children: Nancy, Hattie, Joseph, Phineas, Eunice, Abbie, Horace, Mary Ann.
John Ellinwood born March 1780 Amherst NH, d 9 Sep 1860 Deering NH, aged 81; he m. 11 July 1813 in New London NH to Ruth Baker, daughter of Benjamin & Elizabeth (Merrill) Baker, and grand-daughter of Benjamin & Mary (Brown) Baker. At the time of their marriage, he was of Deering NH and she was of Fisherfield [Newbury] NH. She was born 18 October 1790 in Newbury, Merrimack Co. NH, and d. 20 Dec 1862. Buried Deering NH.
1850 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Deering
John Ellenwood 71
Ruth Ellenwood 60
Charles Ellenwood 30
James Ellenwood 27
Sophia Ellenwood 18
1860 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Deering
James S Ellingwood 37
Rachel Ellingwood 33
Frank P Ellingwood 7
Mary S Ellingwood 4
Flora J Ellingwood 1
Clara E Ellingwood 10/12
John Ellingwood 81
Ruth Ellingwood 69
Children of John & Ruth (Baker) Ellinwood:
1. +John B. Ellinwood, b 19 March 1816 Deering NH [this story is about him]
2. Charles Ellinwood/Ellenwood, b. 6 Nov 1818 Deering NH. In 1870 he was a stone cutter in Nashua Nh.
3.James S. Ellinwood, b 30 Sept 1820 in Deering NH, d. 4 October 1907 in Deering NH. Farmer. He married Rachel Turner.
4. Mary W. Ellinwood, b 1825, d. 1825
5. Abigail Ellinwood, b 1827, d. 1832
6. Sophia/Sophie Ruth Ellenwood b 1832 Deering NH, d. 14 Jan 1904 in Bennington NH. She m. Luther Cheney.
(Capt.) John B. Ellinwood born 19 March 1816 in Deering NH, died 25 Aug 1885
buried Merrill Cemetery, Manchester NH. He married 5 Feb 1840 in Hillsboro NH to Leonora Alcock, daughter of William & Judith (Colby) Alcock, [[William m1) Ruth Gerry; he m2d) Judith Colby; he m3d) Theresa Howe]], and grand-daughter of Robert Alcock. She was b 19 Sep 1819 in Deering NH and died 13 Jan 1871 in Manchester NH. In 1870 they were living in Manchester NH, his occupation farmer (in earlier census living in Hillsborough NH). He married 2d) 13 Sep 1877 at Manchester NH to Mrs. Eveline Page (as her 3rd husband, widowed).
1850 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Hillsborough
John B Ellenwood 33
Leonora Ellenwood 29
Marcus M Ellenwood 8
George H Ellenwood 6
John G Ellenwood 5
Emma Ellenwood 1
1870 US Census > NH > Hillsborough > Manchester
John B Ellinwood 54
Leonora Ellinwood 50
George H Ellinwood 27
Annie B Ellinwood 5
Children of John B. & Leonora (Alcock) Ellinwood:
1. Marcus M. Ellinwood, b Oct 1841 Hillsborough NH, d. 29 Sep 1911 Hopkinton NH. He married 18 Apr 1864 in Derry NH to Sarah J. Milton, daughter of John M. & Mary (Severanse) Milton. She was b in 1842 and d. 1921. He is buried Blackwater Cemetery, Hopkinton NH.
2. George H. Ellinwood b 20 June 1842 Hillsborough NH, d. 12 Feb 1918 Manchester NH. Traveling saleman, groceries. Buried Merrill cemetery, Manchester NH. Divorced. Veterinary surgeon/dentist. He married 2 Nov 1873 in Manchester NH to Fannie A. Libby, daughter of Charles L. & Mary A. Libby. She b abt 1849 in Meredith NH. Either div or widowed. In 1880 living in Manchester NH at 322 Lake ave with his wife.
3. +John Gilman Ellinwood, b. 12 Nov 1844 Deering NH. This story is about him. See above.
4. Emma Ellenwood, born 14 May 1849 in Hillsborough NH, died 15 October 1925 in Manchester NH. She married 6 December 1868 in Bradford NH to William E. Greeley, son of Oliver and Mary (Goss) Greeley. She is buried in Valley Cemetery, Manchester NH.
5. Fannie “Annie” Bella Ellinwood b 24 Aug 1864 Manchester NH and d. 3 Nov 1932 in Warner NH aged 68. She m. 16 Dec 1890 to John J. Shurtleff. [lived 36y in Warner NH, and before that in Webster NH]. She is buried in the Contoocook Cemetery, Contoocook NH.