It was less than a year before the World War would be declared by the United States that Goffstown dedicated a monument to its Civil War heroes on 16 June 1916. The monument was a gift to the town of Goffstown by Henry W. Parker with special reference to Capt. Charles Stinson, Mr. Parker’s grandfather. The statue itself was made of Barre granite and stands 25 feet high showing a soldier in a “parade rest” stance.
People from many places in southern New Hampshire came to see the statue, and a dinner was served in the lower hall of the Opera House in town. There was also a parade, presentations, orations et al. [see monument newspaper notice]. Continue reading