He was only 29 years old when he died, and a youthful but serious face stares out at you from his gem-sized tintype portrait. He was the son of a physician, was well-educated, and married with two children. Those facts did not protect him from death. Did he catch the flu or consumption from one of his patients–we will probably never know.
Artemus Lawrence Holmes Carr was born 28 February 1833 in Sanbornton NH, son of Dr. John & Priscilla (Babb) Carr. He died on 17 May 1862 in New Hampton NH, aged 29 of consumption. He is listed in the 1840 publication of Woodman Sandbornton [sic] Academy as being a male student. The History of Sanbornton NH states that he “was a student in medicine with Prof. Albert Smith of Peterborough (and others), attended lectures at the Dartmouth and Bowdoin Medical Colleges, and graduated at the former 1858…He practiced his profession in New Hampton, with good success, four and one half years till his death…I will not leave you comfortless.” Dr. Artemus L.H. Carr married 13 January 1859 in Sanbornton NH to Mary Lucelia Boutwell, daughter of Rev. James & Mary P. (Abbot) Boutwell. She was born 8 March 1838 in Dunkirk NY and died 1904. They had two children. He practiced medicine in Hampton NH. After her husband’s death, she married 2nd, as his 2nd wife, Nathaniel Bartlett Plumer on 1 January 1876. [He had 4 children with his 1st wife, and one with his 2nd]. They are buried in Center Cemetery, Sanbornton NH. In 1850 living in Sanbornton with his father and siblings. In 1860 living in New Hampton NH with daughter Mary Carr 6 months old.
Children of Artemus L.H. & Mary L. (Boutwell) Carr:
1. Mary Priscilla Carr, b. 13 Jan 1860 New Hampton NH, d. 23 Aug 1920; lived Everett MA; buried Center Cemetery, Sanbornton NH. Unmarried
2. John James Carr, b 12 Nov 1861 NH; in 1880 living in Everett MA; in 1900 living in Salmon, Lemhi, Idaho with wife Clara Belle Rees, occupation carpenter. They had children, Audrey Belle Carr (18 Sep 1893-8 July 1960), Nathaniel A. Carr (b 21 Sep 1888 Idaho, d. 27 March 1961).
Child of Nathaniel B. & Mary L. (Boutwell) PLUMER:
3. Maude PLUMER/PLUMMER, b. 15 October 1876 Everett MA. Living in Everett MA into the 1930s, school teacher, single.
—ANCESTRY of Dr. Artemus L.H. CARR–
George-1 Carr & Elizabeth Oliver
William-2 Carr & Elizabeth Pike [page 23]
Robert-3 Carr & Susannah French
Nathan-4 Carr & Elizabeth Maxfield [from Haverhill MA > Weare NH]
Jacob Carr, son of Nathan & Elizabeth (Maxfield) Carr was b 11 Dec 1754 Salisbury MA, and d 28 Dec 1836 Weare NH; He m. Elizabeth “Betsey” Hart. She was born in 1759 and died 27 Aug 1825 Weare NH. They are buried in Oil Mill Cemetery, Weare NH. They settled on Jacob’s father’s homestead in Weare NH. He served during the American Revolution with three separate enlistments. Reportedly he was with Washington at the Battle of Trenton. Possibly he was at Bunker Hill. [See History of Weare NH]
Children of Jacob & Betsey (Hart) Carr:
1. Jacob Carr, b –; m. 24 April 1803 at Canaan NH to Olive “Olleof” Pollard; lived Fisherville (Newbury) NH; representative. Two children: Jesse (1805-1878) and Hiram Carr.
2. Nathan Carr, b –; lived Thornton NH
3. Jesse Carr b 6 Aug 1783, d. 19 Nov. 1874 Goffstown NH, aged 92; married 1) Hannah Gale of Weare NH; m2d) Mary Smith. Lived in Weare and moved to Goffstown NH where he was judge of the Court of Common Pleas. Had several children. Buried Westlawn Cemetery, Goffstown NH
4. +John Carr, b. 22 Aug 1785 Weare NH
5. Belcher Dole Carr b 1793, d. 4 Nov 1863; married 1817 in Goffstown NH to Lettitia “Letty” Martin. He was a Mason. Moved to Franklin NH. Buried Franklin Cemetery, Franklin NH
6. James Carr, went to Goffstown NH, died unmarried.
7. Elliot Carr m. Sarah Dwinnell; lived in Derry NH
8. Aaron Carr, b. –, d. 20 Jan 1877 Lempster NH; m1) 1822 to Lavinia Brown; m2) Betsey Huntoon of Lempster NH. Lived on Carr homestead in Weare NH until late in life, selling and moving to Lempster NH. Children by 1st wife: (1) Olive who m. Tristram Barnard of Dunbarton NH; (2) Cynthia B. who m. Philip Judd and lived in VT; (3) Henry A. who m. Emily J. Campbell. He died 16 July 1863 aged 30; (4) Horatio H., d. 26 Feb 1858 unmarried; (5) Elizabeth A. who m. William H. Hill and lived in VT.
9. Sarah Carr b 1796, d. 25 Nov 1838 Weare NH; m. Job Sargent. Had several children.
10. Elizabeth “Betsey” Carr; m. William Emerson
Dr. John Carr, son of Jacob & Betsey (Hart) Carr was b 22 Aug 1785 in Weare NH d 5 March 1861 in Sanbornton NH. According to the history of Sanbornton NH he was “a fourth generation descent of John Carr of Salisbury MA. He studied medicine beginning on 10 March 1808 with Hon. D.L. Morrill of Goffstown, completed his studies with Dr. Samuel Morrill of Epsom (NH) and began practice at Weare NH in Dec 1811. In May 1813 he moved from Weare to Sanbornton NH, settling in the Square until his death….He is well remembered as the stentorian crier of marriages at the 1st Baptist meeting-house. He was a man of sound judgment, and cool and deliberate in its exercise; persevering, but calm, in scenes of danger; of a cheerful and equable temperament; skillful and popular as a physician. In 1817 he was elected a Fellow of the N.H. Medical Society of which body he was ever a faithful and approved member, whose seat, at its meetings, was seldom found vacated.. He was styled ‘the tanner,’ by his associates for having used and earnestly advocated Peruvian bark several years in advance of other physicians. He was a horticulturist, and first introduced the ‘Sanbornton grave-vine.” He m1st) 25 May 1815 in Epsom NH to Priscilla R. Babb. She b. 28 July 1789 in Epsom NH, dau of Thomas & Sarah (Blake) Babb, and died 12 Sep 1841 in Sanbornton NH. Dr. John Carr m2d) 9 Dec 1841 in Sanbornton NH to Mary A. McCoy, daughter of Alexander & Margaret (Wilson) McCoy. She was b. 12 Aug 1816 in Manchester NH and d. 11 June 1891 in Sanbornton NH. She married 2nd 4 Dec 1866 in Sanborn NH to J. Ward Fifield. They are buried in Center Cemetery, Sanbornton NH. His stone reads “Our loss is his gain.”
1850 US Census > NH > Belknap Co. > Sanbornton
John Carr 65
Mary A Carr 34
Artemas L.H. Carr 17
Sarah A Carr 6
John A Carr 3
Edward B Carr 2
Children of John & Priscilla (Babb) Carr:
1. Sarah Elizabeth Carr b 28 Feb 1816, d. 20 March 1835 ae 19.
2. John James Carr b 18 Dec 1817, d. 2 July 1843, ae 25-6.
3. Thomas Babb Carr, b. 24 Sep 1822; went to california abt 1849; miner, later a school-teacher. Reported drowned near Wallis Landing, Contra Costa CO on 13 Feb 1873, unmarried (note: report distrusted by friends 1876).
4. Priscilla Amelia Carr b 13 July 1827, d. 4 Nov 1847 of consumption ae 20.
5. Charles Edwin Carr b 11 Aug 1829, d. 23 July 1831, age 2.
6. +Artemus Lawrence Holmes Carr, b. 28 Feb 1833 Sanbornton NH [SEE — This story is about him, see info above and photograph]
children of John & Mary Ann (McCoy) Carr
7. Sarah Alice Carr b. 5 Nov 1843, d. 1872; m. Orren D. Clark as his 2nd wife.
8. John Alexander Carr, b. 14 March 1847, d 1911 Enlisted during the Civil War on 23 July 1864 serving at Fort Constitution, Portsmouth Harbor. In 1872 a machinist in the Manchester (NH) Locomotive Works; m. 5 Jan 1869 Annie Marie Morrison, daughter of George W. Morrison. They had a son, George Byron Carr, b. 11 May 1870 in Manchester NH.
9. Edward Benton Carr born 7 Aug 1848, d. 1914. He m. 17 Nov 1869 in Laconia NH to Annie Maria Wood dau of Joshua & Fannie G. (Bean) Wood. He had three children: John Edward Carr b 18 Oct 1870; Etta Annie Carr b 5 Dec 1871 and Fred W. Carr b 14 May 1879.