Once again some amazing tintype and gem-sized photographs have come across my desk. This time they are of the Fifield and Spencer families. They became kith and kin, residing in several towns in Sullivan County, New Hampshire, and intermarrying. They were farmers and physicians, homemakers and community-minded individuals. Some died of old age, while a few died tragically by their own hand.
As those of my readers in the genealogical research community know, it is no easy task to research many generations. Some spend years at it, and I do not have that leisure. This is not an attempt to trace the Spencer and Fifield families in their entirety, but rather to offer you a correct sampling, along with matching photographs. Enjoy!
GENEALOGY OF THE
FIFIELD AND SPENCER FAMILIES OF SULLIVAN CO., NH
Edward Fifield, son of John & Dorotha (Fifield) Fifield, grandson of Joseph & Sarah (Sherburn) Fifield *and* Edward & Elizabeth (Leavitt) Fifield, great-grandson of Benjamin & Mary (Colcord) Fifield, was born January 22, 1748 in Kingston NH and died at age 83 on August 19, 1831 in Plainfield NH. He married Dorothy Sleeper c1768. She was b. 1748 and d. 1847. They lived in Salisbury NH where they had twelve children. They later moved to Meriden NH, where Edward built a large frame house about half a mile from Kimball Union Academy. He served with his brothers in the Revolutionary War and in later life operated a tavern in Plainfield, N.H., which son Perley (born ca. 1793) was operating in 1847. (1748-1827). Eleven of his business ledgers can be found at the University of New Hampshire. [Some info on children from History of Salisbury NH]
Children of Edward & Dorothy (Sleeper) Fifield:
1. Dorothy Fifield, d unmarried.
2. Ira Fifield
3. Josiah Fifield, moved to Irasburg VT
4. Susan Fifield, m. Everlston Jennings and lived Queechee VT. Had 7 children, all but one died. Son E.J. Jennings m. Maria Jones and lived in Woodstock VT.
5. Lydia Fifield; m. Oliver Taylor and removed to New York State
6. Mehitable G. Fifield, died unmarried
8. Phebe Fifield, m. Enos Richard/Ricard and lived at Weathersfield VT. They removed to Plainfield VT where they died.
9. Perly Fifield, m. Mirian Morgan, daughter of Capt. Nathaniel Morgan. She d. 29 May 1849, aged 52. He d. 11 June 1863, aged 75.
10. +James, a physician, b abt 1797; m. Lucinda TALMON [NOT Palmer as the Salisbury town genealogy states] of Claremont NH where he practiced medicine and d. 30 April 1827 aged 33. She d. 22 Aug 1881, aged 78.
11. Edward Fifield, married and died at Weathersfield VT
12. Lucinda Fifield, b at Meriden NH, m. Cyrus Beckley.
13. Jesse Fifield, physician, m. Susan Burnham and settled at Waterloo NY; had 4 children, the youngest marrying D.N. Burnham, Esq. and resided at 1274 Indiana Avenue, Chicago IL.
Joseph Spencer, b 1767 CT. He married 19 April 1792 at Sterling CT, by Joshua Dunlop, Elder to Abigail Boyd. She was b. 1771 in Sterling, Windham Co. CT. They lived in Sterling at least until 1802 when their daughter was born.
Voluntown records, now Sterling, Barbour Collection
SPENCER, Abraham, s. Joseph & Abigail, b. 28 Jan 1793 in Voluntown CT
SPENCER, Archibald, s. Joseph & Abigail, b. May 9, 1797 Sterling CT
SPENCER, Joseph m. Abigail BOYD, April 19, 1792 by Joshua Dunlop, Elder
SPENCER, Phyle, d. of Joseph & Abigail, b. July 2, 1802 Sterling CT
Children of Joseph & Abigail (Boyd) Spencer:
1. Abraham Spencer, b. 28 January 1793 Voluntown CT
2. + Archibald Spencer, b. 9 May 1797 Sterling CT
3. Phyle/Philena Spencer, b. 2 July 1802 Sterling CT
James Fifield, son of Edward & Dorothy (Sleeper) Fifield was b abt 1797 in Salisbury, Merrimack Co. NH and d 30 April 1827. Physician He m. 3 June 1821 in Claremont NH [Fifield Website now defunct] to Lucinda Talman/Talmon [not Palmer as the History of Salisbury NH says]. She was b. abt 1802 Claremont NH and d. 22 August 1881 in Claremont NH, age 78. She is buried in Pleasant St. Cemetery, Claremont NH. He is buried in Broad Street Cemetery, Claremont NH.
Children of James & Lucinda (Talmon) Fifield:
1. +Eli Talman Fifield, b. abt 1823 Weathersfield VT
2. Perley/Peter M. Fifield, b. 21 Jan 1825 Wethersfield VT, d. 7 Sep 1892 Claremont NH of suicide. Farmer. Single
3. James E. Fifield, b abt 1827 Weathersfield VT; d. 1878
Archibald Spencer, son of Joseph & Alice (Boyd) Spencer, b 9 May 1797 in Sterling (formerly Voluntown) CT; he died 10 July 1863 in Plainfield NH. He married 18 January 1825 in Plainfield NH to Lydia Spaulding, daughter of Jesse & Hannah (Farnum) Spaulding, and grand-daughter of Jesse Spaulding Sr. She was b. 9 April 1802 in NH and d. 8 July 1872 in Plainfield NH. They are buried in Plainfield Cemetery, Plainfield NH.
1850 US Census > NH > Sullivan Co., > Plainfield
Archibald Spencer 53 M Farmer 4000 Conn. [b abt 1797 CT]
Lydia Spencer 48 F NH
Junius S. Spencer 22 M Farmer NH
Abigail A. Spencer 20 F NH
Lydia J. Spencer 18 F NH
Joseph F. Spencer 7 M NH
Children of Archibald [Abram] & Lydia (Spaulding) Spencer:
1. Philena A. Spencer, b 1826 NH, d. 23 Jan 1892; m. 2 April 1849 in Plainfield NH to Daniel W. Cole, son of Daniel Cole. She is buried in Child Cemetery, Cornish NH.
2. Junius A. Spencer, b. 30 June 1828 Plainfield NH, d. 12 Feb 1889 Cornish NH; carpenter, never married
3. Abbie Annie Spencer, b. 28 June 1830 Plainfield NH, d. 2 Dec 1923 Plainfield NH; m. Abel B. Williams. She is buried in Plainfield Cemetery, Plainfield NH.
4. Lydia J. Spencer, b. 28 May 1829, d. 30 March 1908; m. George Nelson Kendrick. She is buried in Edminster Cemetery, South Cornish, Sullivan Co. NH.
5. +Farnum Joseph Spencer (1833-1891)
Eli Tallman/Talman/Tolman Fifield, son of James & Lucinda (Talman) Fifield was b. abt 1823 Weathersfield VT, died 4 October 1877 in Claremont NH, aged 54; He m1st) 17 Nov 1844 in Claremont, Sullivan Co NH to Julia Angeline Wheeler. She b. abt 1826 Orwell VT, died 16 Oct 1849 in Claremont NH [widow is error on her d record] Julia is buried in the Pleasant St Cemetery in Claremont NH. He m2d) 27 Nov 1862 in N. Charlestown, NH to Fanny/Fannie A. Farnsworth. She was b. 20 July 1825 in N. Charlestown NH, dau of Luman H. and Sarah/Hannah (Allen) Farnsworth. Fanny d. 10 Feb 1898 in N. Charlestown NH. He is buried in Pleasant Street Cemetery, Claremont NH. Fanny is buried in Hope Hill Cemetery, N. Charlestown NH.
1850 US Census > NH > Sullivan > Claremont
Salman [Talman] E. Fifield M 28 VT Farmer
Julia A. Fifield F 24 VT
Mary D. Fifield F 4 NH
James E. Fifield M 2 NH
Julia A. Fifield F 1 NH
–living next door–
Lucinda Fifield 48 F
Perley M. Fifield 24 M
James E. Fifield 22 M
1860 US Census > NH > Sullivan Co. > Claremont
Talman E. Fifield M 38 Vermont Farmer 600 300
Mary D. Fifield F 14 NH
James F. Fifield M 13 NH
Geo T. Fifield M 8 NH
Ida F. Fifield F 4 NH
1870 US Census > NH > Sullivan > Claremont
Tolman E. Fifield M 48 VT
Fanny A. Fifield F 45 NH
Ida F. Fifield F 14 NH [b abt 1856]
George N. Fifield M 4 NH [b abt 1866]
Hannah Farnsworth F 74 NH
Children of Eli T. & Julia A. (Wheeler) Fifield:
1. +Mary D. Fifield b. 26 August 1845 in Claremont NH; m1) Farnum J. Spencer; m2) Lovell Currier.
2. Edward James Fifield, b. abt 1847 Claremont NH; He m1st) —; He m2d) 20 Sep 1915 in Fairhaven MA to Alice Dwight Hamlin, dau of Henry H. & Ellen (Farwell) Hamlin. She was b. abt 1869 in Charlestown NH.
3. +Julia Angeline Fifield, b. 8 Oct 1849 in Claremont NH
4. George T. Fifield, b. abt 1851 in Claremont NH; died 3 July 1864, age 13. He is buried in Pleasant Street Cemetery, Claremont NH.
5. Ida Florence Fifield, b. abt 1856 NH, d. 17 Feb 1878; m. 26 Feb 1874 in Claremont NH to Wesley A. Hunt, son of Abel & Ellen (Harris) Hunt. He was a station agent at N. Charlestown NH. He m2d) Rosie Jane Bailey. Ida and Wesley had one child together, Wilfred Ellsworth Hunt, b. 13 July 1877. He had children by his 2nd wife: Charles W., Homer B., Emma A. Ida is buried in Hope Hill Cemetery, N. Charlestown NH.
Child of Eli T. & Fanny A. (Farnsworth) Fifield:
6. George N. Fifield, b 8 Nov 1865 in Claremont NH; d. 24 Jan 1905 North Charlestown NH; poisoning by aconite, self administered. Buried Hopehill, Charlestown NH.
Farnum J. Spencer, son of Archibald & Lydia (Spaulding) Spencer, was b. 5 June 1843 in Plainfield, Sullivan Co. NH, and died 28 July 1891 in Plainfield NH of consumption. He is possibly buried in either Glenwood Cemetery or Plainfield Cemetery*, in Plainfield NH.
He m. 20 Feb 1872 in Claremont NH to Mary D. Fifield, daughter of Eli Tallman & Julia Angeline (Wheeler) Fifield. She was b. 26 August 1845 in Claremont NH, and d. 2 October 1914 in Lebanon NH . He was a farmer, she was a teacher. The 1880 census shows them living in Plainfield NH, a married couple, with no children. She married 2d) 3 August 1893 in Lebanon NH to Lovell K. Currier, son of Nathan M. & Mariah (Bullock) Currier. She is buried in Glenwood Cemetery, Lebanon NH (on a tombstone that includes her first husband’s nameunder the name Mary D. Fifield). Lovell K. Currier was b. June 1839 in Canaan NH, and died 22 February 1911, and is buried with his 1st wife in Pleasant Street Cemetery, Claremont NH. He had married 1st) 17 Sep 1884 in Boston MA to Hattie I. Severns, daughter of George & Nancy (Randall) Severns.
No known children.
Julia Angeline Fifield, daughter of Eli Tallman & Julia Angeline (Sawyer) Fifield, b. 8 Oct 1849 in Claremont NH and d. 24 April 1915 in Lebanon, Grafton Co. NH. She m. 9 June 1867 to George L. Danforth, son of George L. & E.K. (?) Danforth. She is buried in Glenwood Cemetery, Lebanon, Grafton Co. NH
Children of George L. & Julia A. (Fifield) Danforth:
1. Ida B. Fifield, b. abt 1871 in Lebanon NH d –; m. 2 Jan 1890 Plainfield, Sullivan Co. NH to George U.L. Leavitt, son of John B. D. & Hannah E. (Moody) Leavitt. He was b. 1866 in Lake Village NH.