Looking very much like a Yankee farmer, Thomas T. Cawley, Jr. peers out from the photograph. He is elderly, white haired, and grizzled by the time this photograph was taken at B.N. Poor, Pike’s Block in Franklin, New Hampshire.
His father Jonathan Cawley had been the first to settle in Sanbornton, New Hampshire, on Lot No. 31, 2nd Division “near the Cawley Pond, which received from him its name.” Thomas T. Cawley, Jr. lived first on a farm given to him by his father, at the north end of Lot No. 28, 2d Division, afterwards the Ede Taylor place (near Sites) until 1830, then he bought the Daniel Tilton farm near the school-house of Dist. No. 8 which had been mortgaged to the Exeter Academy. He lived there until his death. He raised his family in the same town where he was born and died, and is buried with several generations of Cawley’s in the Cawley Pond Cemetery, in Sanbornton, NH.
—–PARTIAL GENEALOGY OF THOMAS T. CAWLEY, JR.—–
Editor’s Disclaimer: I do not claim to have researched the New Hampshire Cawley / Calley family in its entirety. The family is complex, and the resources conflicting. I am presenting my “best shot” along with links to some of the genealogies that have explored other branches. SEE Calley or Cawley Family Genealogy from History of Sanbornton, NH.
Thomas Calley/Cawley of Epping NH; he m. Mary –.
Children of Thomas & Mary (?) Calley/Cawley:
1. Thomas Cawley Jr. b. –; lived in Epping NH, but died in Sanbornton NH 12 April 1810. His wife Salley Cawley was administratrix of his estate. He was the father of Richard Cawley, b 5 Sep 1773 in Epping NH
2. +Jonathan Cawley, b 19 May 1756 [Epping recs say 1757]
3. Josiah Cawley b abt 1758 probably in Epping NH; He was a revolutionary soldier. He m1) Anna Fullington of Sanbornton; m2d) Eleanor Weeks. Removed to Northfield NH then to Maine. Children: Samuel, Mercy, Josiah (who settled in Goffstown NH), Thomas, and Ann.
Jonathan Cawley, son of Thomas & Mary (?) Cawley, b. 19 May 1756/57 in Epping NH, d. 18 Jan 1849 ae 83y 8m. He m. 15 Aug 1781 in Epping NH to Elizabeth “Betsey” Cole/Coal. She was b. 13 March 1755, and d. 2 Aug 1845 ae 90y 5 m. Removed to Sanbornton NH, and was the first settler on the farm later owned by his son Dea. Jonathan , north end of Lot No. 31, 2nd Div. near the Cawley Pond, which received from him its name. They are buried in Cawley Pond Cemetery, Sanbornton, NH
Children of Jonathan & Elizabeth (Cole) Cawley:
1. James Cawley, b 17 Feb 1782
2. Benjamin Cawley, b 5 Jan 1783, d. 1854
3. Jonathan Cawley, b 29/30 Nov 1787, d. 1870
4. +Thomas Cawley, b 1 May 1789
5. Betty “Betsy” Cawley/Colley b July 28/29 1792; m. 8 April 1818 Sanbornton NH to Joseph Burleigh
6. Sally Cawley, b. 15/20 Sep 1794, d. March 4/28 1795/96 ae 1y 6m
Thomas T. Cawley Jr., son of Jonathan & Elizabeth (Cole) Cawley, b. 1 May 1789 Sanbornton NH, d. 28 Sep 1869, ae 80y-8m [gravestone says 79y) Sanbornton NH. He m. April 1817 to Betsey B. Burleigh, daughter of Josiah Burleigh. She b. 16 May 1797 in Sanbornton NH and d. 23 Dec 1861 in Sanbornton, Belknap Co. NH, ae 64y 4 m. They lived first on a farm given to him by his father, north end of Lot No. 28, 2d Div., afterwards the Ede Taylor place (near Sites) until 1830, then he bought the Daniel Tilton farm near the school-house of Dist. No. 8 which had been mortgaged to the Exeter Academy, and he lived there until his death. He is buried in Franklin Cemetery, Franklin, Merrimack Co. NH
Children of Thomas T. & Betsey B. (Burleigh) Cawley Jr.:
1. Charles Cawley, b. 12 March 1818 Sanbornton, Belknap Co. NH, d. 24 Oct 1903 Merrimack NH. He m1) 5 March 1851 to Mary Ann Brown, daughter of Richard Brown. She d. 7 May 1855, ae 34y 2m; He m2) 31 Oct 1858 to Theodotia T. (Brown) Taylor, dau of Ebenezer Brown. She d. 30 March 1868 ae 47y 2m; He m3) 6 March 1869 to Melissa C. Wadleigh, dau of Chase W. Wadleigh. He represented the town in 1878-79. He had only one child, Josiah Burleigh Cawley, b. 16 Nov 1871 (by his 3rd wife)
2. Lovisa Parker Cawley, b. 12 Dec 1819; m. 30 March 1847 to William Batchelder; lived on the Ingalls place and later in Lowell MA. He was in the railroad business.
3. Josiah Burleigh Cawley, b. 11 Dec 1822; d. 23 Nov 1871, age 49. Lived at Lancaster NH, in the hotel and stage business.
4. Luther B. Cawley, b. 28 Nov 1834, d. 24 Feb 1889 in Amherst NH; a railroad employee. Resided in 1880 in Lowell MA, at 25 Robinson Street; He m. 12 May 1877 in Lowell MA to Sarah J. (Danforth) Hay, daughter of Isaac & Nancy Danforth.