He paid the ultimate price. While still a boy at age 18, he enlisted with the U.S. Army in April of 1850, and arrived in Korea in August of the same year [per Sentinel newspaper article]. He was taken prisoner in the Battle of Unsan, in November 1950, and died while in captivity, 31 March 1951. His remains have not been recovered.
Reginald Ernest Frazier, son of Ernest & Leona A. (Rice) Frazier, was born. 23 August 1932 in the still small town of Swanzey NH, and died 31 March 1951. A centograph exists in Mountain View Cemetery of Swanzey that reads: In Memory Of Reginald E. Frazier, Died in Korea, 1951, Age 18.
Read more of Reginald’s story, and the research to find his next of kin. [link broken Feb 2018].
Private First Class Frazier was a member of Company M, 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division. He was seriously wounded by the enemy in South Korea on September 4, 1950 and returned to duty on October 10, 1950. He was taken Prisoner of War while fighting the enemy near Unsan, North Korea on November 2, 1950 and died while a prisoner on March 31, 1951. His remains were not recovered.
In 2007 a monument paying tribute to New Hampshire former prisoners of war from WW2 and the Korean Conflict was installed at the NH State Veteran’s Cemetery. That includes the name of Reginald Frazier.
In 2009 his half-brother, Oscar A. Mattson (according to an online story) should have received Reginald’s purple heart, awarded posthumously.
—-PARTIAL GENEALOGY OF REGINALD E. FRAZIER—-
Henri “Henry Charle” Frazier, b. 1826 Canada (prob Nova Scotia), d. 5 June 1892 in Richmond, Cheshire Co. NH. He m. Leras/Sissard/Cesare “Lizzie” Bowerie/Bouverie. She b. abt 1842 Canada. He is buried in Richmond NH.
1870 US Census > MA > Worcester > Royalston
Fraza, Henry 42 M W Work as farmer Canada
Fraza, Sissard 28 F W Keeping House Canada [b abt 1842]
Fraza, Metilda 11 F W at home Canada
Fraza, Eliza 8 F W at home Canada
Fraza, Joseph 6 M W at home Canada
Fraza, Alfred 4 M W at home Canada
Children of Henry C. & Lizzie (Bouverie) Frazier:
1. Melenese/Melanise “Bell T.” Frazier, b. 6 July 1854 in Canada, d. 16 Feb 1946 in Troy NH; m1) — Parigo; She m2d as his 2nd wife (both widowed) 28 April 1876 in Manchester NH to Frank Lupin/Lupien Sr., son of William & Mary Lupin. Lived in Fitzwilliam NH, children: Alzina, Frank L. and Emma–possibly first two children from 1st wife.
2. Matilda Frazier, b abt 1859 Nova Scotia, Canada, d. 1 Dec 1916 in Beverly MA; m. John Frank Sonia
3. Eliza “Lizzie” Frazier, b abt 1862, d. 13 May 1891 in Troy NH; m. John Tatro
4. Joel “Joseph” Frazier, b abt 1863 Canada, d. 13 April 1931 in Troy NH
5. +Alfred P. “Fred” Frazier, b. c 1866 Canada
6. Henry Charles Frazier, b 8 Oct 1868 Royalston MA; d. 16 Nov 1947 in Troy NH; m. 1 Jan 1897 in Royalston MA to Mary Duboise Woods. Had children.
Alfred/Fred Frazier, son of Henry & Lizzie Freyier, b. c1866 Canada d 1939; m. 30 March 1891 in Troy NH to Nellie M. Goodnow/Goodnough, daughter of Burton & Mary (Merrifield) Goodnough. She b. 9 May 1876 in Richmond NH and d –. Resided Troy NH. In 1920 a laborer in a wood handle shop in Troy NH. Owner of a saw mill.
1910 US Census > NH > Cheshire > Troy
Fred Frazier Head M 44 Canada Can Can Owner Saw Mill
Nellie M. Frazier Wife F 34 NH
Cora A. Frazier dau F 17 NH weaver blanket mill
Henry A. Frazier son M 15 NH laborer odd jobs
Charles E. Frazier son M 13 NH
Eva M. Frazier dau F 12 NH
Mabel D. Frazier dau F 8 NH
Ernest A. Frazier son M 7 NH
Alice B. Frazier dau F 6 NH
Alfred B. Frazier son M 1 NH
Children of Fred & Nellie (Goodnough) Frazier:
1. Cora Almira Frazier b 25 May 1891 Richmond, Cheshire Co. NH; she married 15 May 1911 in Winchendon MA to Alfred Ross, son of Arthur & Cecile (Mills) Ross
2. Henry Albert Frazier, b. 4 June 1894 in Richmond, Cheshire Co. NH; m. 25 Nov 1914 in Troy NH to Roseanna Connors, dau of Charles & Roseanna (Laporte) Connors
3. Charles E. Frazier b 20 April 1896 NH; d. July 1970 NH
4. Eva M. Frazier, b. abt 1898 NH
5. Mabel Della Frazier, b. abt 1902 NH; m. 10 Nov 1927 in Manhattan NY to Juson Kronick, son of Isaac & Fannie (Leavitt) Kronick.
6. +Ernest A. Frazier, b. abt 1902 Troy NH
7. Alice B. Frazier, b. 12 October 1904 Troy NH, d. 14 Jan 1927 in Troy NH; m. Victor J. Jantti
8. Clara A. Frazier, b. 15 Jan 1907 Troy NH, d. 23 Nov 1909 Troy NH
9. Alfred B. Frazier, b. 25 March 1909 NH; d. November 1987 NH; m. 12 Nov 1933 in Keene NH to Margaret Crosby, dau of Elmer & Jesse Burby (Cole) Crosby
10. Hazel Emily Frazier, b. abt 1911; m. 3 June 1950 in NH to Sherman Taylor Wood, son of George Bowen & Annie ELizabeth (Standever) Wood
11. Avis C. Frazier, b. abt 1912 NH; m. 19 Aug 1932 in Jaffrey NH to Clifton Bemis, son of Loring & Eva (Hill) Bemis
12. Olive Elizabeth Frazier, b abt 1915; m. in NH to Frank Burnham Rice, son of Harry & Flora I. (Blanchard) Rice.
Ernest A. Frazier, son of Alfred/Fred & Nellie (Goodnow) Frazier, b 1902 Troy NH, d 1960; m1st) 19 March 1921 in Keene NH to Evelyn May Jones, dau of Fred Austin & Edna Alice (Newton) Jones of Winchendon MA She was b abt 1903 Winchendon MA; they divorced per his 2nd marriage record; He m2d) 20 June 1936 in Keene NH to Leona Ara Rice, daughter of Harry and Flora Isabelle (Blanchard) Rice. She b. 30 July 1913 Keene NH [per town report], d. 4 May 1996, buried in Westport Cemetery, Swanzey NH with her 2nd husband. She m2d) Aame Arthur Mattson. He (Arthur) was b. 1914 and d. 1978. Ernest listed his occupation as Truck Driver. In 1949 the Portsmouth newspaper announced that three recent escapees from the Cheshire county house of correction were given 30-day jail sentences for their break of last Thursday, including Ernest Frazier, 47 of Troy (NH). The men were apprehended by Troy police in a hotel room in Troy, NY. They had made their escape by ramming a 12×15 inch hole in a basement brick wall.
1940 US Census > NH > Cheshire > Swanzey
Harry Rirce Head M 58 NH
Flora Rice wife F 52 NH
Ray Rice son M 32 NH
Frank Rice son M 17 NH
Isabelle Rice dau F 11 NH
Reginald Frazier grandson M 8 NH
Rosamond Frazier granddau F 5 NH
Elizabeth Frazier granddau F 2 NH
Children of Ernest & Leona A. (Rice) Frazier:
1. +Reginald Ernest Frazier, b. 23 Aug 1932 Swanzey NH [this story is about him, see above]
2. Rosamond Frazier, b 16 July 1934 Swanzey NH, d. 8 October 2001; She m. 26 June 1954 to Leander Melvin Stetson, son of AuVerne L. & Addie M. (Horner) Stetson. He was b. 4 January 1926 and d. 18 June 2008.
3. Elizabeth Rebecca Frazier, b abt 1938; m. 22 June 1957 in NH to Howard Elliot Talbot, son of Paul Elliot & Gladys Mae (Wood) Talbot. He died 15 July 1997 in Swanzey Center NH, aged 68.
4. Shirley Frazier, b abt 1940 New Hampshire
Child of Aame Arthur & Leona A. (Rice) Mattson:
1. Oscar A. Mattson, Swanzey NH