A lovely woman sat very still for a profile portrait at M.G.C. Kimball, Photographer, at the corner of Main and School Streets in Concord New Hampshire, probably in the early 1870s. Her naturally curly hair is carefully coiffed. She wears delicate earrings and a chain necklace.
She is Addie G. (Whittemore) Tallant, daughter of Aaron & Arianna S. (Barstow) Whittemore, fourth child and third daughter. Her parents would go on to have six more children. Addie grew up in, married and spent most of her life in the tiny town of Pembroke, New Hampshire.
She married in 1870 to John Gilman Tallant, but sadly she would die in 1875, at the age of 25 after having given birth to three children, the youngest being 5 months old at that time. Her death certificate states she died from pthisis, which is an old term for consumption, or tuberculosis. The disease was prevalent in this time, and took many lives of both young and old.
It must have been a great struggle for her husband to try to work and also to raise these three little ones. Her husband, John Gilman Tallant remarried 2 years later and the two oldest children, both girls, remained living with him.
Addie’s youngest child, John Langdon Tallant, was adopted as a baby by his aunt (his mother’s sister) and her husband, Charles C. & Sophia F. (Whittemore) Shaw of Chichester NH, and he assumed the surname Shaw. Charles C. Shaw was a man of wealth and influence, and no doubt the baby John was well cared for. John Langdon Tallant Shaw grew to adulthood, contributing to the history of his new home.
Addie’s oldest daughter Katharyn went on to become an osteopathic physician, practicing in Boston, Massachusetts, and marrying another physician there. The second daughter married and had children, living to be quite elderly.
Addie was buried in Pine Grove Cemetery, in Concord New Hampshire. When her husband died, he was buried beside her.
—–GENEALOGY OF ADDIE G. (WHITTEMORE) TALLANT—–
Thomas Whittemore & Mary Miller
John Whittemore & Mary Upham
Benjamin Whittemore & Esther Brooks
Rev. Aaron Whittemore & Abigail Coffin
Hon. Aaron Whittemore, son of Aaron & Sarah (Gilman) Whittemore, grandson of Rev. Aaron Whittemore, was b. 28 Nov 1774, and d. 26 April 1850, age 76 years; he m. 23 Oct 1800 to Lydia Fisk of Derry NH. She was b. 25 Feb 1776, and d. 9 March 1862 aged 86. They settled in Pembroke NH, and he built the house later occupied by his son Hon. Aaron Whittemore. He was representative, Senator and judge.
Children of Aaron & Lydia (Fisk) Whittemore:
[Children’s information taken from “A genealogy of several branches of the Whittemore family, by B.B. Whittemore, page 58-59]
1. Benjamin Whittemore, b. 1801; d. May 1833 Philadelphia PA; no children.
2. Louisa F. Whittemore, b 21 Sep 1802; m. 23 Sep 1847 Charles P. Hayward, no children.
3. Mary F. Whittemore, b. 12 Aug 1804; m. 17 May 1820 Daniel Parker. He d. 22 May 1852. Children: Mary Elizabeth, Charles, Benjamin W. Adaline M., Anna J., Caroline A., Sarah-Marta, Helen Josephine, Lydia A. Louisa Isabella and Alice Eliza. Resided San Francisco< California
4. Adaline Whittemore, b. 28 Sep 1806, d. 28 Dec 1821
5. +Aaron Whittemore, b. 4 Nov 1808 Pembroke NH
6. Hiram Whittemore, b. 31 March 1811, d. 9 April 1890; m1) Elizabeth J. Hoitt of Exeter NH in 1838. She b. 27 July 1812. Children: Joseph Aaron, Elizabeth, Henry Risk, Sarah. He m2) 27 Aug 1856 Alma M. Ingalls
7. Lydia Whittemore,b. 28 June 1813; unmarried
8. Sarah Whittemore, b. 24 Nov 1815, d. 9 Sep 1845; m. Jacob Sawyer; 2 children
9. Dolly D. Whittemore, b Feb 1819, d. 18 Apr 1843; m. David H. Burnham, no children
Aaron W. Whittemore b 4 Nov 1808 Pembroke NH d d. 26 March 1890 Pembroke NH; m. 13 December 1840 in Pembroke NH to Arianna S. Barstow, dau of Charles C. & Sophia (Fanning) Barstow. She b. 20 Feb 1821 in Kingston NH, and d. 10 July 1885.
Children of Aaron & Arianna S. (Barstow) Whittemore:
1. Sophia Whittemore, b. 1 August 1842 Pembroke NH, d. 31 Dec 1900 in Chichester NH; m. 2 June 1861 to Charles C. Shaw, son of David P. & Clarissa (Carpenter) Shaw. He was b. 4 May 1830 in Chichester NH, d. 1896, buried Chichester NH. She and her husband adopted her sister Addie’s son.
2.Ariannah “Arie” Barstow Whittemore, b. 23 April 1844 Pembroke NH, d. 29 Dec 1914 in Allenstown NH; m. 5 April 1870 in Pembroke NH to John H. Sullivan, son of John & Mary (?) Sullivan. He was b. in Boston MA
3. Aaron Whittemore, b 18 Jan 1849 Pembroke NH, d. 5 May 1885; m. 27 Sep 1876 in Bradford NH to Achsa/Achsah Lavina Cheney, dau of Ebenezer & Mary Ann (Comstock) Cheney. She was b. 28 Dec 1843. He was a lawyer and she was a teacher. Children: Aaron Whittemore, Fannie Whittemore, Byron Whittemore. He was educated at Pembroke Academy and Harvard Law School and admitted to the bar in 1870. He was a practicing lawyer, and was elected State Senator in 1883. He was Major in the 1st Brigade, NH Militia at the time of his death.
4. +Adaline “Addie” “Ada” G. Whittemore, b. 13 Oct 1850 Pembroke NH
5. John C. Whitemore, b 8 August 1852 in Pembroke NH; d. 11 June 1889 in Pembroke NH. He m. by 1876 to Henrietta M. Hamilton. Children: Lyman, John H., Lillian and Fred B.
6. Charles Barstow Whittemore, b. 28 Sep 1854 Pembroke NH; d 24 July 1928 Concord NH; married 4 April 1882 in Concord NH to Clara R. Farnum, dau of Thomas & Rebecca Farnum; buried Pembroke Street Cemetery, Pembroke NH. She was b. abt 1858 Auburn NY.
7. Arthur G. Whittemore, b. 26 July 1856 Pembroke NH; d. 13 Oct 1931 in Dover, Strafford Co. NH; married; lawyer; buried Pembroke St. Cemetery, Pembroke NH
8. Frederick B. Whittemore, b. 12 Sep 1857 Pembroke NH d. 23 March 1902 Pembroke NH
9. Anna “Annie” Whittemore, b. 15 Apr 1859 Pembroke NH; m. Clarence R. Locke
10. Marie Elizabeth “Bessie” Whittemore, b. 21 Feb 1861 Pembroke NH, d. 27 June 1922 Pembroke NH; m. 7 Dec 1889 in Pembroke NH Rufus Bert Robinson, son of John R. & Angeline (?) Robinson
Addie G. Whittemore, daughter of Aaron W. & Arianna S. (Barstow) Whittemore, b. 13 Oct 1850 Pembroke NH in Pembroke, NH, d. 11 Oct 1875 in Concord NH of pthisis. She m. 2 February 1870 in Pembroke NH to John Gilman Tallant, son of John Langdon & Sarah (Bean) Tallant. He b. 2 March 1846 in E. Concord NH and d. 8 July 1917 in Concord NH. He m2) 10 Dec 1877 in Worcester MA to Helen Betsy Wilson, daughter of Daniel W. & Mary (Kelley) Wilson. She was b. 19 Dec 1850 in New Hampton NH, d. 12 Feb 1918 in Concord NH. Addie and John are buried in Pine Grove Cemetery, East Concord NH. His 2nd wife is buried at Blossom Hill Cemetery, Concord NH. [1910 census says Helen B. had no children]
1870 US Census > NH > Merrimack > Chichester
Charles C. Shaw 40
Sophia W. Shaw 27
1880 US Census > NH > Merrimack > Chichester
Shaw David P W M 83 nh
Shaw Clarissa C W F 83 wife nh
–living next door–
Shaw Charles C W M 50 nh
Shaw, Sophia F.W. W F 37 wife nh
Shaw, John L.T. W. M 5 son by adpt at home measles
1880 US Census > NH > Merrimack > Concord
Tallant John G W M 34 Farmer
Tallant Hellen C W F 26 wife keeping house
Tallant Kate W F 9 daughter at school
Tallant, Arie W F 7 daughter at school
Lewis David W M 17 boarder farm laborer
Sargent, William W M 20 boarder farm laborer
1900 US Census > NH > Merrimack > Chichester
Sophia F. Shaw 57 Aug 1852 Widow 0 ch 0 living NH NH NH
John L.T. Shaw 25 adpt son Aug 1875 single NH NH NH farmer
John E. Conner 30 servant Feb 1870 single NH NS Unk
Children of John G. & Addie G. (Whittemore) Tallant:
1. Katharyn Geneva Tallant, b. 22 March 1871 in Concord NH, d. 12 March 1928 Stow MA. She graduated from the Massachusetts College of Osteopathy. In 1908 living in Boston MA, 1910 Osteopathic physician; She m. 11 Oct 1917 in Winchester MA to Harry R. Bolan, son of Joel C. & Mary E. (Willett) Bolan. He was a physician and osteopath, b. in Boston MA. She is buried in Wyoming Cemetery, Melrose MA
2. Arianna Barstow Tallant, b. 8 Aug 1873 East Concord NH; d. 1964 Lawrence, Essex Co. MA; m. 26 Oct 1899 in Pembroke NH to Bert G. Spaulding, son of Miles R. & Annie E. (Gay) Spaulding. He was b. 1871 in Pembroke NH and d. 1950 in Andover MA. They had at least one child, Annie E. Spaulding, b. 31 May 1903 and d. 8 June 1996 who m. Clinton D. Shaw in 3 Oct 1925 in Dunstable MA. In 1917 working as a salesman for Bowker Fertilizer Co. of Borton MA and also a farmer. Resided Bear Hill, N. Chichester NH.
3. John Langdon Tallant-Shaw, b. 18 May 1875, d. 8 Dec 1942 in Chichester, Merrimack Co. NH; m. 12 June 1901 in Suncook NH to Elizabeth N. McKerley, dau of Robert & Betsy Ann (Hayes) McKerley. She was a school teacher. He held several town positions including that of selectman. He was elected Treasurer of Merrimack County. Delegrate for the Republican Convention. He is buried in Pine Ground Cemetery, North Chichester, Merrimack Co. NH. He was adopted by his aunt (mother’s sister) and her husband, Charles C. & Sophia F. (Whittemore) Shaw of Chichester NH.