I can almost see a few of my readers, shaking their heads in dismay, as they look at the title. Oh no! Not another Brown family. The Brown surname in New Hampshire is about as prevalent as leaf peepers in the Fall–they are everywhere, and they look so much alike. I myself have two Brown connections, only not with the Brown line I am about to present to you.
John Brown was one of the earliest settlers of what is now Hampton, Rockingham County, New Hampshire. He and his wife, Sarah Walker, had several children. However, in this article I will follow only one of John Brown’s lines to David Brown, 7th generation who was living in Sanbornton, New Hampshire.
Some Descendants of John & –(unknown)– Brown of Hampton, NH
John-1 Brown & –unknown–, of England & Hampton NH
Thomas-2 Brown & Abial Shaw, of Hampton NH
Joseph-3 Brown & Elizabeth Moulton, of Hampton and Rye NH
Samuel-4 Brown, son of Joseph & Elizabeth (Moulton) Brown, b 20 Nov 1720 in Hampton NH, and d. May 1794 in Bradford MA. He m. 17 July 1745 in Rye, Rockingham Co. NH to Susanna Knowles. She was b. 1726 in Hampton NH, and d. 3 May 1789.
Children of Samuel & Susanna (Knowles) Brown:
1. Mary Brown 1746-?
2. Jonathan Brown 1747-1828
3. +Samuel Brown, b. 1 Sep 1754 Chester NH
4. Joseph Brown 1755-1758
5. Joseph Brown 2d, 1758-1802
6. David Brown, 1765-1838
7. John Brown 1775-1822
Samuel-5 Brown, son of Samuel & Susanna (Knowles) Brown b. 1 Sep 1754 was a Revolutionary soldier. He came from Chester or Kensington NH to Sanbornton NH, being the first settler on the south end of Lot No. 31, 2nd Div, 2nd house east of the Tilton school-house where later Joseph Moses lived (1874-77). He m1) Sarah “Sally” Paine, daughter of Amos Paine. She was b. 17 Oct 1755 and d. 26 Oct 1819, age 64. He m2) — Robinson, and d. 3 July 1827 in his 73d year.
Children of Samuel & Sally (Paine) Brown:
1. Richard Brown, b. 20 Dec 1779, d. 8 March 1858, ae 78y in Sanbornton NH. He m. 6 May 1804 to Betsey Shute, dau of Thomas. She d. 8 Oct, 1849 age 75. Children: Sally, Noah Barker Eliza and Mary Ann.
2. Samuel Brown b. 16 Feb 1781; settled in Bangor Maine, and prob m. 9 Nov 1820 at Bodwell ME to Sarah Sanborn.
3. + David Brown, b. 24/20 March 1782.
4. Sarah Brown, b 21 Jan 1784; m. Mark Prescott
5. Jonathan Brown, b. 11 Jan 1786; He m. 1 Jan 1812 to Lydia Smith. She d. 14 June 1819 age 29. The year following her death he moved to Watertown NY and did not return. Children: Amos, Mary Ann, Mercy.
6. Amos Brown, b. 4 Jan 1788; died in Newburyport MA
7. Hannah Brown, b. 14 Juy 1789; m. Joseph Farnham
8. Ebenezer Brown, b. 30 June 1792; m. 25 Dec 1817 to Susanna Taylor, dau of Jonathan Taylor. Capt of the militia at time of marriage. He died 26 Oct 1864, age 72. She d. 7 March 1879 in Manchester NH at her grand-daughter’s house. Children: Jonathan Cram, Theodosia Taylor, and Horace.
9. child Brown, d. 22 Dec 1796
David-6 Brown, son of Samuel Brown, b. 20/24 March 1782 NH, d 15 June 1846, ae 64; According to the History of Sanbornton, he settled on the old New Hampton road, where his son Chase Brown lived later, and even later Senter Smith [Lot No 48, 2d Div]. He was blind in his last years, as the result of freezing his eyes while rescuing the Ellsworth children on the “Cold Friday.” He m1) 6 March 1806 by Rev M. Crockett to Hannah Weeks, dau of Chase Weeks. She d. 6 Aug 1809 in her 22d year. He m2) 4 May 1810 to Betsey Weeks, sister of his 1st wife. She d. 25 June 1817 in her 28th year. He m3d) Dec 1820 to Sally Gooch, adopted daughter of the officiating clergyman, Mr. Crockett. She was b. 29 July 1784 and d. 4 Feb 1869 in her 85th year. He was an exemplary member of the 1st Baptist Church.
Children of David & Hannah (Weeks) Brown:
1. Chase Weeks Brown  b 2 Nov 1807 in Sanbornton NH, and d. 8 Dec 1873, age 66 in Sanbornton NH. He m. 25 Nov 1830 to Tirzah F. Folsom. Children: Lucinda Brown, who m. Prescott Y. Howland; Noah Folsom Brown, who m. Ellen McC. Smith.
2. Lucinda Brown, b. 1809, d. 28 July 1809
Children of David & Betsey (Weeks) Brown
3. Samuel Brown, b. 1811; d. 15 June 1813, age 2
4. Samuel Brown 2d, b. 16 March 1814; m. 3 Dec 1843 to Nancy C. Swain. Children: Jeremiah, George Henry and Martha Ann.
Children of David & Sally (Gooch) Brown:
5. Hannah Brown, b. 29 Sep 1822; m. John Dollof
6. Sylvester Brown, b. 14 Sep 1824, He m. Eunice Gale Fox. Children: John Bradbury, Addie M., Fred S.
7. +David Brown, b. 8 Oct 1827 in Sanbornton NH
David-7 Brown, son of David & Sally (Gooch) Brown, b. 8 Oct 1827 in Sanbornton NH, d 11 June 1894 in Laconia NH; m1) 5 Nov 1849 to Hannah Dinsmore Fox, dau of Benjamin & Mehitable Fox. She was b. 1826 and d. 19 March 1876. Farmer. They lived in Sanbornton, Meredith and Laconia NH. He m2) 25 Sep 1877 in NH to Mary A. Davis-Hunkins, daughter of J.N. Davis. In Sanbornton he settled first on the James Wadleigh place, below his father’s (same lot) until Nov 1864 when he removed to the George place, nearer the turnpike (No. 47, 2d div). In 1860 living in Sanbornton NH, in 1870 in Meredith NH, and in 1880 Laconia NH.
1870 US Census > NH > Belknap > Meredith
David Brown M 42 NH 2000/1000 Farmer
Hannah D. Brown F 45 NH
Adella Brown F 10 NH
Children of David & Hannah D. (Fox) Brown:
1. +Oscar David Brown*, b. 13 Feb 1851 Sanbornton NH
2. Calista/Celesta Emily Brown, b. 11 Nov 1852 Meredith NH, d. 9 Oct 1901 in Laconia NH. She m. 1883 to George Henry Tilton, son of Joseph Sullivan & Betsey (Ham) Tilton. They lived in New Hampton NH and later moved to Laconia NH. He was b. 13 May 1845 in Dorchester NH, and d. 17 Jan 1930 in Laconia NH. He had married 1st) 19 June 1866 in Gilford NH to Marietta Randlett. She is buried in Union Cemetery, Laconia NH.
3. Adella Brown*, b 12 June 1860 in Sanbornton NH, d. 1 July 1938 in Lynn MA; she m. 19 April 1893 in Laconia NH to Charles Emerson, son of Timothy & Sarah E. (Foster) Emerson. He was “of Barnstead NH” at the time of their marriage. He was a shoe trimmer. They were married by a clergyman, Rev. Lewis Malvern . She is buried at Riverview Cemetery, Barnstead NH
Oscar David Brown, son of David & Hannah Dinsmore (Fox) Brown, b. 13 Feb 1851 in Sanbornton NH, died 10 June 1911 in Laconia NH; He is buried in Union Cemetery, Laconia NH. He m1) 15 March 1876 in Sanbornton NH to Flora A. Clark, dau of Rufus Clark. She was b. in Meredith NH. He m2d) 8 April 1890 in NH to Kittie/Katie D. Crandall, dau of Ebenezer F. & Lovisa Elizabeth (Chase) Crandall. She b. Sep 1862 in Jay, Orleans Co. VT, and died in June of 1928, buried 28 June 1928.
1930 US Census > MA > > Lawrence
Brown, Curtis R. Head 50 NH NH NH W watchmaker, Jewelry Store
Brown, Elizabeth N. wife MA England Irish Free State music teacher
Child of Oscar D. & Flora Ann (Clark) Brown:
1. Curtis Rufus Brown, b. 16 Sep 1879 in Meredith, Belknap NH, d. 1959 in Lawrence, Essex Co. MA. In 1900 living with his uncle Leslie Clark in Laconia NH. In 1910 single living in boarding house in Lawrence MA. He married betw 1910-1920 to Elizabeth M. –. She b abt 1896 in MA. In 1942 living in Lawrence MA at 751 Riverside Drive, self employed at 508 Essex St. Lawrence MA (retail jewelry).
History of the Town of Hampton NH, by Joseph Dow, 1892; GENEALOGY: BROWN