A handsome young man named Henry Prince Nourse stares out from this lovely tin-type photograph.He was not from New Hampshire, but the pose was charming enough that I bought it, to write about him.
“He did not fall far from the tree,” as the saying goes, as he was born in 1862 in Salem, Essex Co., Massachusetts, the son of Aaron and Harriet Matilda (Kimball) Nourse. He was also the 4th great-grandson of Rebecca (Towne) Nurse who was murdered, after being convicted of witchcraft, during the so-called “Salem Witchcraft Trials.”
In 1900 Henry married Edith H. Scott, and was the father of several children. By profession, he was a letter carrier and expressman, working for the U.S. Postal Service. He was also active in his community, and served as master of Starr King Masonic Lodge from 1908-1909. He died on May 28, 1928 and is buried in the Burying Point Cemetery in Salem. His genealogy follows.
Francis Nurse & Rebecca Towne*
Samuel Nurse & Mary Smith
Ebenezer & Elizabeth (Mitchell) Nurse
Ebenezer & Hannah (Rea) Nurse
Aaron-5 Nourse Sr., son of Ebenezer & Hannah (Rea) Nurse Jr., b 19 Dec 1768 in Danvers, Essex Co. MA, d 2 Dec 1847 Danvers MA; a cordwainer; lived in Danvers MA. he m. 25 Dec 1791 in Danvers MA to Sarah “Sally” Holt, daughter of Simeon & Sarah (Reed/Reid) Holt She b. 22 Oct 1769 in Burlington MA, and d. 1 July 1839. They are buried in Nurse Homestead Cemetery, in Danvers MA.
Children of Aaron & Sarah (Holt) Nourse:
1. Ebenezer Hourse, b. 18 Aug 1792
2. Debby ourse, b. 8 July 1794
3. Sally Nourse, b. 27 Feb 1797
4. Amos Nourse, b. 1 April 1800
5. William Nourse, b. 30 June 1802; killed by a steamboat at New Yor 6 Oct 1835
6. George Nourse, b. 17 March 1805
7. Rhea/Rea Nourse, b. 30 May 1807 Danvers MA, d. 23 March 1867 Worcester MA of insanity [recorded at Marblehead MA]. He m. April 1830 in Danvers MA to Hannah B. Winslow, dau of Aaron Winslow. She b. 11 Aug 1806 in Charlestown MA and d. 1838 Marblehead MA. Children: (1)Sarah Holt Nourse b 3 Aug 1834 Marblehead MA; m. William J. Goldthwaite and resided Salem MA, having children [Goldthwaite]: Lawrence W., Lizzie H., and Mabel J.; (2) George A. Nourse b. 26 Oct 1836 Marblehead MA
8. Howes Nourse, b. 13 Sep 1809
9. +Aaron Nourse b 21 April 1813
Aaron Nourse, Jr., son of Aaron & Sarah (Holt) Nourse, b 21 April 1813 Danvers MA, d 2 August 1902 in Salem MA [per MA Death Records]; m. 26 August 1840 [*intentions] in Salem MA to Harriet Matilda Kimball. She b. 23 Feb 1818 in Salem MA, d 29 June 1899 in Salem MA.In December of 1875 Aaron Nourse was treasurer of the Nourse Monument Association, a group of “descendants of Rebecca Nurse, a victim of the witchcraft delusion,” who formed an association to solicit and raise funds for a monument to her memory.
Boston Herald (Boston MA) April 22, 1900, page 21
TWO AGED SALEM MEN observed their birthdays. Aaron Nourse was born in Danvers, April 21, 1813. From 1871 to 1881 he carried on the hat business in Salem, but has since lived a retired life. His wife died last year. He has four children living–Elizabeth P. Nourse and Henry P. Nourse of Salem, Mrs. Albert G. Tedford of Lynnfield Centre and Mrs. William P. Upham of Newtonville.
1881 Salem MA City Directory
Nourse, Aaron, hats, caps and furs, 284 Essex., house 35 Andrew
Nourse, Elizabeth P., Miss, Dry goods, 284 Essex, boards 35 Andrew
Nourse, Henry P., expressman, E.R.R., boards 35 Andrew
Nourse, William, fruit and confectionery, 98 and 100 Washington, house 3 Federal
Children of Aaron & Harriet M. (Kimball) Nourse:
1. Elizabeth Prince Nourse b 11 Nov 1843; died 10 Sep 1920 unmarried
2. Catherine Elizabeth Ellison “Katy J.” Nourse, b. 4 March 1847
3. Cynthia B. “Cintha” Nourse b 28 June 1850; m. 1 Dec 1880 William P. Upham
4. +Henry Prince Nourse, b. 22 Feb 1862 in Salem, Essex Co., MA
Henry Prince Nurse/Nourse, [see photograph at top], son of Aaron & Harriet Matilda (Kimball) Nurse, b. 22 Feb 1862 in Salem, Essex Co. MA, d. 1928 in Salem MA [per Massachusetts Death Index]. He m. 28 Dec 1900 in Salem MA to Edith H. Scott, daughter of Benjamin & Dorothy A. (Haskell) Scott. She was b. 19 Sep 1876 in Deer Isle, Hancock Co. Maine and d. Jan 1967 in Salem, Essex Co. MA. They are both buried at Burying Point Cemetery, in Salem, Essex Co. MA He was a mail carrier and expressman.
1920 US Census > MA > Essex > Salem, Ward 2 > 35 Andover Street
Nourse, Henry P. Head (Owned house, mortgaged) M W 57 married MA MA MA Letter Carrier, US Postal Service
Nourse, Edith H. Wife F W 43 Married MA MA MA
Nourse, Dorothy K. Daughter F W 18 single MA MA MA
Nourse, Harriet S. daughter F W 16 single MA MA MA operative toy factory
Nourse, Elizabeth P. daughter F W 15 single MA MA MA
Nourse, Vesta S. daughter F W 9 single MA MA MA
Nourse, Elizabeth P. sister F W 77 single MA MA MA Record Clerk Probate Course
Salem MA City Directory > 1926
Nourse, Elizabeth P. Clk 240 Essex b 35 Andrew
Nourse Harriett S tel oper 22 Norman b 35 Andrew
Nourse, Henry P. (Edith H) h 35 Andrew
–In 1929 no NOURSE–
1930 United States Census > MA > Essex > Salem > 35 Andrews Street
Nourse Edith H Head 6000 F W 53 widow Maine Maine Maine
Nourse, ELizabeth P. dau F W 25 single MA MA Maine saleslady dept store
Nourse, Vesta S. dau dau F W 19 single MA MA Maine typist bank
Benoit, John J. Lodger M W 38 widow MA NH NH machinist valves
Missilian, Gerald, Boarder M W 23 single Irish Free State IFS IFS laborer
Children of Henry P. & Edith H. (Scott) Nurse:
1. Dorothy K. Nourse, b. 1 June 1901 in Salem MA, d. 13 June 1981 in Nashua NH; m. Willard Johnson Goldthwaite, son of Lawrence William & Rosa Foster (Grey) Goldthwaite. He died January 1972 in Dunstable MA, aged 75. He was a prominent Market Gardener of Twin Hill Farm on Pond Street. They are buried in Central Cemetery, Dunstable, MA
2. Harriet S. Nourse b 8 Jan 1903 Salem MA. In 1924 unmarried, telephone operator.
3. Elizabeth F.P. Nourse, b. 1 Jan 1905 in Salem MA
4. Harrie K Nourse, b. 11 March 1908 Salem MA, d. 23 May 1908 whooping cough
5. Vesta Scott Nourse, b. 3 Jan 1911 Salem MA, died April 1984 in Augusta, Kennebec, Maine. In 1930 she was a bank clerk in the Roger Conant Cooperative Bank; She m. in 1935 in Danvers MA to Eben Sprague Upton, son of Eben S. & Clara E. (Carleton) Upton. He was b. 8 Dec 1908 in Peabody MA, and died 21 Dec 1985 in Waterville, Maine; They resided on Locust St. in Salem MA, he was a leather worker.
6. son Nourse b. 27 April 1917, d. 3 May 1917 (6 days old, premature birth, twin)
7. son Nourse b. 27 April 1917, d. 28 April 1917 (1/2 day old, premature birth, twin)
While researching Rebecca Nurse, I came across some very interesting blog posts that I will share with you now.
The History of Massachusetts: Ann Putnam Jr., Villain or Victim?The History of Massachusetts: The Trial of Rebecca Nurse
Beantownblitzkrieg: The Rebecca Nurse Memorial
Pinterest: Rebecca Towne Nurse
FaceBook: Descendants of the Salem Witch Trials