East Weare was a village located in the eastern part of Weare, Hillsborough County New Hampshire. According to Weare’s history books, this area included over 60 mostly farming families. Lumbering and a toy shop were local industries. East Weare also included a train depot, churches, a school and post office, garage, grocery store, lumber mills, grist mill, a Grange Hall, cemeteries, blacksmith shop and creamery.
According to Chapter 9 of the Town of Weare’s Master Plan: “Prior to 1938, Weare’s industries were clustered along the Piscataquog River at Chase Village, North Village, Rockland, East Weare and Oil Mill (now called Riverdale). Several factors which contributed to the decline of the industries along the river included both fires and floods, the growth of large woolen and cotton mills and shoe factories in Manchester and points south, the importing of grain from the west as farming declined in the east, and the use of plastics versus wooden products.”
“In 1960 the village of East Weare was purposely flooded to become part of the Everett Flood Control Project. (I believe the name Everett came either from “Everett Station,” a train depot within this area, and/or from William H. Everett who was the railroad conductor in the area for 32 years beginning in 1855). The fourth volume of the Weare Historical Society’s pictorial history is devoted to recreating the village of East Weare, which was sacrificed to the flood control project.”
Today, the Hopkinton-Everett Lakes is a two-dam system. Hopkinton Dam is located on the Contoocook River in Hopkinton and nearby Everett Dam is located on the Piscataquog River in Weare. The dual projects were constructed in 1962 at the combined cost of $21.4 million. According to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New England District, the existence of these dams have been credited with preventing over $69.5 million in damages from floods.
In 1982 New Hampshire Historic Marker #143 was placed at the corner of Route 77 & South Sugar Hill Road in Weare to commemorate East Weare Village and the people who lived there.
Here are some great video’s taken in Weare NH by Loren Powers, a graduate of Weare High School Class of 1956. He can be reached at email@example.com
Video: Old Eastman Farm, Rt 114 South Weare. ( Just a few hundred feet South of South Weare Fire house. )
[Editor’s Note: this post updated 20 June 2017]