Ephraim Philbrick built the first summer hotel in Rye, called the Atlantic House.
Of course there were several inns or taverns that had been open in the area many years prior to this building.
The Atlantic House was “a large, commodious farm-house,” and was also used as a house of entertainment for groups of fisherman who came to the area (this was before it was a summer resort location). At one point the entire building was moved directly across the road from its original location, and this new building was first opened to the public in 1846 by Ephraim’s son John C. Philbrick. It was enlarged several times.
The name of the hotel was changed in 1864 to the Farragut House or Farragut Hotel, by John C. Philbrick. During the summer of 1866 Civil War Admiral David Farragut was a guest of the hotel. The house was run by Mr. Philbrick until his death in 1869, after which his wife and son, Frank A. Philbrick ran the establishment.
The Farragut hotel was located in what is a vacant field today, at the south end of Church Road. At that time Church Road was a lane with a forest of trees and a wooden sidewalk.
In 1864 the land for Saint Andrews-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church, in Rye was donated to the bishop of New Hampshire by Frank A. and Elizabeth Philbrick, then the owners of the Farragut Hotel and most of the land surrounding the new chapel’s site.
About midnight on April 18, 1882, the Farragut House burnt, but it was rebuilt starting in October of 1882, and was again opened in 1883. At this time it was conducted by Frank A. Philbrick until his death. After that time it was managed by Mr. Frank A. Hall and was one of the largest of the summer hotels of the town.
The hotel was later owned by Harry Beckwith, who also owned the Wentworth Hotel.
Sad to say, the Farragut closed in 1974 and was torn down in 1975. One report states that the site is haunted. Listen for faint, ghostly piano music late at night in the area where it stood.
According to a 1999 article, a new Farragut Hotel was built in 1976, but the interior was never finished, sitting idle for 22 years. It was torn down in 2003.
-American Memory: Farragut House (photograph)-
**PHILBRICK FAMILY TREE**
Most of this genealogy from:
1. “History of the town of Rye, New Hampshire : from its discovery and settlement to December 31, 1903,” by Langdon B. Parsons; Concord, N.H.: Rumford Print. Co., 1905
2. NEHGS Register 38:280
The name Philbrick is spelled Filbrick, Philbrook, Philbrucke, Philbrok etc in the early records.
Thomas Philbrick, was baptized 23 Sep 1584 at Bures St. Mary, Suffolk, England. It is said they came from Lincolnshire, England. Old records in the family say he came on the ship Arabella, in which came Gov. Winthrop. He and his family sailed from Yarmouth, April 8, 1630, and arrived at Salem, June 14. The next month the passengers of these ships and others settled in Charlestown, MA, but soon removed to Watertown (Thomas and family were here in 1636; his homestead was on the northwest corner of Belmont and Lexington Streets). In 1645-46, “Thomas Philbrick Senior, a grantee of eight lots, sold his estate in Watertown, and in 1650 or 1651 had removed to Hampton, New Hampshire, where his elder sons lived. He took oath of allegiance at Hampton on 4 Oct 1648. He married 4 June 1615 to Elizabeth Knopp, dau of William & Elizabeth (Reade) Knopp. [see NEGHS Register 147:327]. She b. 8 July 1593, and died 19 Feb 1663/1664 at Hampton NH. He died about 1664 as his will was proved on 8 October 1667.
Children of Thomas & Elizabeth (Knopp) Philbrick:
1. +James Philbrick, born in England.
2. John Philbrick, b. in England; m. Anna [?Palmer]. He and his wife and daughter Sarah, with five other persons, were lost at sea on 20 Oct 1657, soon after their vessel left Hampton River for Boston. Had other issue who survived.
3. Dea. Thomas Philbrick, b. abt 1630; m1) Ann Knapp; m2) Hannah White, widow of William or John White; d. 24 Nov 1700. In 1685 his name is on a writ of Dover NH [5 Nov 1685] issued against Joshua Bradbrent of Boston, merchant, for speaking slanderous words [NEGHS Register 20:156]
4. Elizabeth Philbrick, m1) 1642, Thomas Chase; m2) John Garland; m3) Henry Roby; d. 11 Feb 1677
5. Hannah Philbrick, m. Stephen Sanborn
6. Mary Philbrick, m1) Edward Tuck; m2) James Wall; d. 28 Oct 1702
7. Martha Philbrick, b 1633; m1) John Cass; m2) William Lyon of Rowley MA
James Philbrick, son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Knopp) Philbrick, was born in England abt 1622. In 1639, the second summer after the settlement of Hampton NH, he moved to Hampton. His brother Thomas soon followed him. In 1645-46 his father removed here. He married 1st) Jane Roberts, dau of Thomas Roberts of Dover NH, and m2nd) Ann Roberts, her sister. In 1670 he was chosen, with others, to “run the Exeter line.” In 1671 he had a grant of Lot 52, 40 acres in the south of Hampton called “The new plantation (now Seabrook NH). He was a mariner and was drowned 16 Nov 1674 in the Hampton River, near the mouth of Cole’s Creek, Hampton NH along with a Peter Johnson. His widow married 2d) 8 July 1678 to William Marston/Mastin.
Children of James & Ann (Roberts) Philbrick [one source says 10 ch]:
1. Bethia Philbrick, m. 24 Apr 1677 Caleb Perkins, son of Isaac of Hampton NH. Their daughter Rhoda Perkins, m. 24 May 1700 Elias Philbrook and had 7 ch.
2. Capt. James Philbrick, b. 13 July 1651; m. 4 Dec 1674 to Hannah Perkins, daughter of Isaac; d. 4 Nov 1723; a mariner of Hampton NH; had 8 sons and 3 daughters
3. Apphia Philbrick, b. 19 March 1655; m. 3 Dec 1674 to Timothy Hilliard; had 3 children: Benjamin, Apphia and Mary
4. Esther Philbrick, b. 1 March 1657; m. Sylvanus Nock [Knox] of Dover NH
5. Thomas Philbrick, b. 14 March 1659; m. 14 Apr 1681, Mehitable Dalton; cordwainer; In 1702 he sold his house and removed to Kingston NH where he died 4 Jan 1712. They had ten children.
6. Sarah Philbrick, b. 14 Feb 1661.
7. +Joseph Philbrick, b. 1 Oct 1663; m. Tryphena Marston; d. 17 Nov 1755.
8. Elizabeth Philbrick, b. 24 July 1666 [possibly married Nathaniel Berry]
9. Mehitable Philbrick, b. 19 July 1668; m. Timothy Hilliard (second wife)
Joseph Philbrick, son of James & Ann (Roberts) Philbrick, was born 1 Oct 1662/1663; he married 1685-86, Triphena/Tryphena Marston, daughter of William and Rebecca Marston of Hampton NH. He was the first of the name to come to Rye and settled about 1702 near Daniel Dalton’s, near the house of Frances Jenness. He was ordered to court for building a house on the town’s land. It is said that his wife was a daughter of one of the first three settlers of Hampton. She died 15 Nov 1729, aged 66 years. He died 17 Nov 1755.
Children of Joseph & Triphen (Marston) Philbrick:
1. Joseph Philbrick, b. 22 Dec 1686, died young.
2. Joseph Philbrick, b. 19 Feb 1688
3. Capt Zachariah/Zechariah Philbrick, b. 11 March 1690; m. Mary –. mariner and farmer of Hampton Falls NH; had seven children
4. Sabina Philbrick, b. 1691; m. Abraham Libby/Libbey.
5. Ann Philbrick, b. 13 Jan 1694; m. Stephen Berry of Rochester.
6. Ephraim Philbrick, b. 12 Aug 1696; m. Martha Wadleigh, dau of Henry Wadleigh of Hampton NH; lived at Exeter NH, as a blacksmith. Had six children. Died in 1747, leaving much property.
7. Hester Philbrick, b. 2 May 1699
8. Phebe/Phoebe Philbrick. b. 9 June 1701; m. Daniel Moulton
9. +Joses Philbrick, b 5 Nov 1703
10. Elizabeth/Eliza Philbrick, b. 8 Dec 1706.
Joses Philbrick, son of Joseph & Triphena (Marston) Philbrick, was born 5 Nov 1703; he married 4 Jan/June 1747 to Abigail Locke, dau of Deacon William Locke. They lived in that part of Hampton that is now Rye. He was an active business man and dealt much in land transactions. He died 24 March 1757, age 54. All of the children’s births were recorded in Hampton NH.
Children of Joses & Abigail (Locke) Philbrick:
1. Hannah Philbrick, b. 24 Apr 1729; twin; m. Reuben Moulton, son of Jonathan.
2. Tryphenia/Tryphena Philbrick, b. 24 Apr 1729; twin; m1) 29 Jan 1760 John Sanders; m2) 16 Apr 1780, Jonathan Berry
3. Abigail Philbrick, b. 11 Nov 1730; m. 24 Nov 1748, MarK Randall, lived at Moultonborough NH.
4. Sarah Philbrick, b. 9 Nov 1732; m. Robert Moulton; lived at Gilmanton NH; she died 10 Aug 1823 (at that time she had 11 ch, 34 grandch, 60 great-grandch, in all 105).
5. Joseph Philbrick, b. 10 Aug 1735; m. 2 Dec 1760 Anna Towle/Fowle, dau of Jonathan; lived in Rye NH, d. 11 Sep 1788. Had ten children.
6. Reuben Philbrick, b. 27 Sep 1737; m1) Hannah Locke; m2) widow Mary Wedgeword; m3) Mary Dalton; m4) Mary Beck; had four children
7. Daniel Philbrick, b. 2 Feb 1740; m. Abigail Marden; lived on the “South Road” in Rye NH; had three children; he died before Nov 1780.
8. +Jonathan Philbrick, b. 26 Nov 1745
9. Mary Philbrick, b. 12 Feb 1749, d. 15 Nov 1834.
Jonathan Philbrick, son of Joses & Abigail (Locke) Philbrick, was born 26 Nov 1745. He married 8 Dec 1768 to Mary Marden, dau of Ebenezer Marden of Rye NH. They lived at Rye NH and died 1 Apr 1822. He was a blacksmith. [Jonathan was the grandfather of Olive Philbrick, who m. Edmund Mason, and of Martha Ann Philbrick who m. George Nay, and was the mother of Henry W. Nay brought up in Mr. Mason’s family in Hampton NH].
Children of Jonathan & Mary (Marden) Philbrick:
1. Jonathan Philbrick, b. 1772; m. 1 June 1797 to Sarah Wells; lived at Epsom NH.
2. Abigail Philbrick, b. 1777; m. James Chapman
3. +Ephraim Philbrick, b. 9 Sep 1779-1780
4. Joseph Philbrick, b. May 1788
5. Daniel Philbrick, m. Betsey Wells
6. Betsey Philbrick, m. 8 Dec 1809 Lieut. Joseph Jenness
Captain Ephraim Philbrick, son of Jonathan & Mary (Marden) Philbrick, was born September 9, 1779-1780. He married Sarah Webster. He lived at Rye New Hampshire and built the first “summer hotel” in Rye. He was commissioned, May 17, 1811, captain of the militia. He died Jan 25, 1860.
Children of Capt. Ephraim & Sarah (Webster) Philbrick:
1. Josiah Philbrick, b. 2 Oct 1807; m. 25 June 1833 to Sarah Ann Brown. Lived at Rye NH. She d. 22 Sep 1870. He d. 17 Oct 1870. Children: Emmos, Horace, Ellen.
2. Sarah Ann Philbrick, b. 7 Nov 1811; m. 7 July 1835 Daniel Philbrick. Had son Jonathan P.; lived at Rye NH.
3. Moses C. Philbrick, b. 6 Apr 1813; m. Sarah A. Garland, dau of Levi G. She d. 28 Sep 1898. He d. 8 Apr 1875. Lived at Rye NH.
4. +John Colby Philbrick, b. 9 Apr 1818.
5. Christianna Philbrick, b. 27 Aug 1822; m. Dec 1838 Abraham Perkins, son of James P. Lived at Rye NH.
John Colby Philbrick, son of Capt. Ephraim & Sarah (Webster) Philbrick, b. 9 April 1818 in Rye NH. He married 25 May 1845 to Eliza/Elizabeth Perkins Jenness, dau of Joseph & Huldah (Perkins) Jenness. She d. 18 Sep 1893. He died 15 Jan 1869 in Rye NH. He was the proprietor of the Atlantic House, the first hotel built at Rye Beach, NH. Both are buried at St. Andrews Cemetery, Rye NH.
Children of John C. & Eliza (Jenness) Philbrick:
1. Frank A. Philbrick, b. 7 Jan 1850; m. 21 Dec 1881 in North Hampton NH to Elizabeth B. “Lizzie” Hill, dau of Mrs. Annie M. Hill of North Hampton. She b. 24 Oct 1860 in Virginia and d. 23 March 1938. She is buried at St. Andrew’s Cemetery, Rye NH. For many years (until his death) he was the proprietor of the Farragut House. He d. 27 Jan 1901, and is buried at St. Andrew’s Cemetery, Rye NH. They did not have children (per 1900 census)
2. Frances Webster “Fannie” Philbrick, b. 24 Aug 1851/52, d. 12 Aug 1911; m1) Albert Salter, son of Benjamin & Harriet Chase (Tibbits) Salter; m2) William Carter; buried St. Andrews Cemetery, Rye NH; Had a daughter by 1st husband, Huldah Jenness Salter, b 1 Aug 1879, and d. 27 March 1955.
3. Caroline Perkins “Carrie” Philbrick, b. 10 Dec 1856 in Rye NH, and d. 17 May 1897; buried St. Andrews Cemetery in Rye NH; m. Frank W. Sweet.